Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

FYI - Chickam isn't down, Ustream is. Another cam I was watching went down at exactly the same moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Thanks for the heads up Miss Indy!
(I was having problems logging in & then the whole channel went down. It's all my fault, guys!!)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

:siren: We have two planned hatch dates for Chickam! :siren:

Since Bear is kinda forcing us to move things up a bit with her sudden eggs (Cam would be daddy for her chicks), we'll be starting the first batch this Saturday the 8th, the second batch going into the incubator NEXT Saturday the 15th. With the ReptiPro you can do staggered hatches. We're still working on repairing the small run to segragate Cam, Bug, Zip and River; it's almost done (damned stormy weather!).

So hatch dates SHOULD be March 29th and again a week later on April 5th. Weather permitting, we'll still run the cam on Saturdays between now and then on the adult flock. Unfortunately shipped eggs aren't in the budget right now, so it's going to be all eggs from our flock or from local flocks if I can find some that we'd like. I'm beating the bushes trying to find some local bantam Cochins but so far no luck. :smith:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 7, 2014

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Since Bear is kinda forcing us to move things up a bit with her sudden eggs (Cam would be daddy for her chicks), we'll be starting the first batch this Saturday the 8th, the second batch going into the incubator NEXT Saturday the 15th. With the ReptiPro you can do staggered hatches. We're still working on repairing the small run to segragate Cam, Bug, Zup and River; it's almost done (damned stormy weather!).

So hatch dates SHOULD be March 29th and again a week later on April 5th. Weather permitting, we'll still run the cam on Saturdays between now and then on the adult flock. Unfortunately shipped eggs aren't in the budget right now, so it's going to be all eggs from our flock or from local flocks if I can find some that we'd like. I'm beating the bushes trying to find some local bantam Cochins but so far no luck. :smith:

I am very pleased to know of this, my time after work will now be wasted looking at eggs/baby chickens!

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Since Bear is kinda forcing us to move things up a bit with her sudden eggs (Cam would be daddy for her chicks), we'll be starting the first batch this Saturday the 8th, the second batch going into the incubator NEXT Saturday the 15th. With the ReptiPro you can do staggered hatches. We're still working on repairing the small run to segragate Cam, Bug, Zup and River; it's almost done (damned stormy weather!).

YAY! The timing is perfect. My candidacy exams are the 17th-21st and my oral defense is the 28th. Chickam will really help all that built up stress disappear. :neckbeard:

Did you have any additional eggs from Bear or just the two so far?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Who is Zup?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

c355n4 posted:

Who is Zup?

I think that VS meant Zip, as in Zipper. One of the hens from a previous Chickam. :)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yay! I look forward to seeing all the lovely baby chickens! :neckbeard:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Oops, yeah, sorry--I meant Zip (Zipper). Still just the two eggs from Bear, but if she stays on schedule there should be another tomorrow. The ReptiPro is purring away in the dining room and so far is holding temperature.

Also, got a possible line on local bantam Cochin eggs, I'll be calling the lady tomorrow to see if she has some to spare!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

AtomikKrab posted:

I am very pleased to know of this, my time after work will now be wasted looking at eggs/baby chickens!

Don't forget, stealth peeks at Chickam DURING working hours!

VS, do you recall the age of the oldest hen you hatched eggs from that resulted with a healthy chick/chicks?

Joanna
Jul 16, 2013
Am adding all the new dates to my calender. Can not miss possible Bear-hatching eggs!!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

piscesbobbie posted:

VS, do you recall the age of the oldest hen you hatched eggs from that resulted with a healthy chick/chicks?

A female albatross aged 62, the oldest known bird in the world, hatched a chick last year, so there's hope for Bear! http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/worlds-oldest-wild-bird-hatches-chick-age-62.html

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

piscesbobbie posted:

That would be one of The Chicken Sisters, twin bantam Cochin hens who we bought as adults from a feed store in 2001. One died in 2006, and in 2008 the surviving hen (who we just called Sis) suddenly came back into lay (cavorting shamelessly with Phoenix and Scott and totally acting like a twitterpated teenager, I might add), laying three eggs for our first Chickam. We were starting the incubator anyway and stuck her eggs in...we got Potato, Honkey and Scrambles from her. :)

Bear had two other daughters besides Beast--Voodoo and Moxie, hatched in 2009 (both died 2012) when Bear was 7 years old.

The thing with elderly parents is that you can sometimes get seemingly healthy chicks that grow up just fine but have shorter life spans and pass away at between 3-6 years.

No more Bear eggs as yet, but one is due today...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The ReptiPro is purring away in the dining room and so far is holding temperature.

Last year's ReptiPro replacement was pretty good.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Last year's ReptiPro replacement was pretty good.

Just "pretty good"? Yoya and Sonic would like a word with you! :D

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Are you gonna run the hatch thread in GBS 1.4 or whatever it is now?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Yes, I'll run the regular Chickam hatch thread in GBS like always, hopefully the mods will help protect it from the more fringe element posters...

Yesterday I cracked 4 fresh eggs and all four were fertile, so the butt trimming seems to have worked. No broodies yet but we've placed a couple of golf balls in the favorite nest box to encourage thoughts in that direction. I normally use a couple of marked eggs but the little stinkers have taken to egg eating sometimes so I can't trust them.

Right now I've got 11 eggs ready to go into the incubator at 7AM tomorrow morning, one of which is a banty egg (one of the d'Uccle girls) just for fun and two of which are Bear's army green eggs. One of the Bear eggs has a tiny hole in the shell, but the membrane isn't punctured so I stuck a piece of masking tape on it and will hope for the best. If we get any more eggs tomorrow I'll sneak them into the incubator as well.

I can't reliably ID the moms for the rest of the eggs. We aren't getting any blue Americaunas eggs from Bug or Rose yet at all. The Giant Cochins tend to lay more pointed eggs than the Brahmas, though. No clue as to who in the Hell is laying the purpley eggs ( #4 & 5) so I'm anxious to see what the chicks look like!

As for dads--Banty egg is likely Bloop the Belgian d'Uccle, large eggs have a 50/50 chance of either Cam or Weedcat since both are on the job.

Since we're running a staggered hatch this year and plan on starting another group of eggs in the same incubator in one week, this batch is Hatch A--that's what the little 'A' on the end of the egg is. I'll need this marker to know which eggs to stop turning in 18 days.

Went to another feed store today and they had THE CUTEST little Americaunas chicks (fluffy faces, EEEEE!), the kid was doing some hardcore begging--we got out of there fast because my resistance was crumbling. I have a lead on some local bantam Cochin (with possible Frizzles) eggs though, I'll be calling the girl tomorrow to see if she is willing to sell me some. :v:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 8, 2014

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I have a lead on some local bantam Cochin (with possible Frizzles) eggs...

Eeeee! Possible Bantam Cochin Frizzles! :dance:

I'm crossing my fingers for Bear's eggs. Please add a couple more d'Uccle eggs to the mix, just so the little d'Uccles can form a tiny d'Uccle gang. :)

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

VS, you need to move back to California so I can adopt a Weedcat/Yoya hellspawn :colbert:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

And we're off! :dance:

When we let the chickens out this morning, we discovered that Bear had laid another egg last night, so we have a total of three eggs from her to make an even dozen. If more get laid today from the other girls we may sneak them in, depending on room. If the lone banty egg hatches it'll be like Gulliver in the land of the giants in the brooder box. Some of those eggs are honkin' huge (#7, I'm looking at you).

I'll be candling them in 7-10 days, but I know from past experience that Bear's eggs are too dark to see through, so whether or not hers have chicks will be a mystery until hatch!

Chido, I'd love to give you some Weedcat/Yoya spawn, but unless I saw Yo lay the egg and knew that she had been cooped only with Weeds I couldn't guarantee parentage (it might be a Cam baby)...if things work out for us we'll be making a trip down south in summer, if we do you are certainly welcome to one some of this year's chicks! :v:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

to one some of this year's chicks! :v:

I see what you did there!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Chido posted:

I see what you did there!

Chido, Cam has the cute face feather thing going for him :syoon:

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Cam is up, eggs are in the Reptipro, all is well.

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
I'm so excited!!! <3
Ahhhh!!!!
Really want those Bear eggs to hatch!!!!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

VS: Bear's green eggs are so lovely. What breed is she again?

Please be sure and try to hatch ALL of Bear's eggs! She's so special to you all and it would be so wonderful to have some of her offspring running around. :)

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Look at Bear upping the drama of chickam! Does being in lay change how other her flockmates treat her?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Bear is an Easter Egger. And yes, we'll be collecting and trying to hatch all the eggs she gives us, but I have a feeling she won't continue laying for too long.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

From today's Chickam streaming. Cam says "Hi! I knocked up Bear!"

Also, all three of the roos are in this shot. In the back, Weedcat is closely watching Bloop. Bloop is probably watching Weedcat AND Cam. And Cam, in the foreground, is just happily staring into space (thinking about his dreamhen Bear). :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 9, 2014

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

JimBobDole posted:

Look at Bear upping the drama of chickam! Does being in lay change how other her flockmates treat her?

She also insists on having green eggs so there's no mistaking that they are hers. The little minx.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

luloo123 posted:

She also insists on having green eggs so there's no mistaking that they are hers. The little minx.

Green Eggs prove her dominance over the flock.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

AtomikKrab posted:

Green Eggs prove her dominance over the flock.

Green Eggs And Cam! :v:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Green Eggs And Cam! :v:

That should be the post title for Chickam 2014.

Also, in my photo above, I just realized that three of the roos are in the shot. In the back, Weedcat is closely watching Bloop. Bloop is probably watching Weedcat AND Cam. And Cam, in the foreground, is just happily staring into space (thinking about his dreamhen Bear). :D

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Green Eggs And CHICKAM! :derp:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Velvet Sparrow posted:

:golfclap:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

:dance:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Remember when I talked about taking the scenic route home after work and stopping to see chickens? Turns out the first place I stop at is the home of a young gal who used to work at the convenience store I stop at for coffee on my way to work! She, her kids and her hubby raise chickens for food, eggs and pets. When the ground dries up I'll go inside the coop/run area and HOLD a chicken or two. I am SO EXCITED! Last fall when I would stop by there were some turkeys, that as I suspected, were Holiday dinners.

The second place I stop is a HUGE farming operation thing... with the goats and chickens and horses. Looks like they mostly grow hay as a crop there but the folks/farm workers are nice.

Stop #1 is gonna be FUN!:)

Inveigle, your photo caption had me laughing so hard! That is a great one!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Hey, I have a question for anyone who was watching Chickam on Saturday.

Apparantly we had a small plane go down in the small mountain range nearby, the pilot was killed.
http://www.ktvn.com/story/24928105/deadly-plane-crash-near-carson

I remembered hearing a small plane circling low and slow, it was loud, sputtering and sounded strange (but I never heard it stall). I heard it over the cam as well, and thought that others also may have. They are trying to figure out when it went down, but the nearest I can get is sometime between 1PM and 3PM that I heard it.

Anyone else hear the plane and remember about what time it was?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Apparantly we had a small plane go down in the small mountain range nearby, the pilot was killed.

I remembered hearing a small plane circling low and slow, it was loud, sputtering and sounded strange (but I never heard it stall). I heard it over the cam as well, and thought that others also may have. They are trying to figure out when it went down, but the nearest I can get is sometime between 1PM and 3PM that I heard it.

Unfortunately, I was running around all day long and didn't turn on Chickam until 6 pm. I would think they could look at the instruments in the plane wreckage and be able to figure out when it crashed that way.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I remember hearing the plane before I left to go to the grocery store, but I don't remember hearing it when I returned around 2:00. Unfortunately, I'm not very reliable. When I got home, I started cooking dinner and was only partially paying attention.

It's really a sad incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Yeah, I've 1:15-1:30PM stuck in my head, I'm pretty sure that's when I heard it. They didn't find the plane until Sunday so there is some confusion as to when it actually went down on Saturday, that's why I'm asking.

It was a 1947 Cessna so I don't know how much modern instrumentation it had on board. According to this article the plane's N number had been revoked and it wasn't suitable for flying, so God knows why it was in the air. I'm just glad the guy got it away from town before it went down.
http://www.recordcourier.com/news/10549400-113/carson-miceli-airport-crash

• Locked thread