Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Willa Rogers posted:

The "D" logo is around 4 years old (I remember Kaine pimping it along with keychains when he was DNC chair), but the link to vote for your favorite car magnet is from a brand-new email being sent to Dems.

Yeah the "Not A Republican" thing has been around on official DNC stuff since 2012 at least. One day I'm sure it'll prove effective and inspiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I remember seeing this exhibit at the Newseum in 2012 about the history of campaign commercials. Adlai Stevenson refused to campaign himself using TV in 1952, but in 1956, he appeared in some awkward "At Home with Adlai" segments. He had no personality and it didn't work.

However, I distinctively remember the simple slogan from the ad they showed:

"The Party For You, Not The Few"

From that, to this.

Why is the UK so much better at short political slogans?

(Yes, I know this Labour doesn't exist any more, and the Dems are just as bad, but the President has at least tried to talk about not "just helping the rich," right?)

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 7, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Stevenson was really goofy about TV spots. In 52 he did a series of primetime weeknight speeches that were just plain weird.

http://www.livingroomcandidate.org/commercials/1952/the-same-god-made-us-all#4393

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

comes along bort posted:

Stevenson was really goofy about TV spots. In 52 he did a series of primetime weeknight speeches that were just plain weird.

http://www.livingroomcandidate.org/commercials/1952/the-same-god-made-us-all#4393

In 1952, even regular commercial spots were clumsy and goofy. Television was still new and advertising was not very sophisticated.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Even in the '64 campaign the typical ad was a fifteen minute or longer manifesto and personal introduction. The firm that Moyers hired to produce "Daisy" for LBJ was one of the first to use 30 second spots for political ads and then Aires elevated it to an art form for Nixon.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

One choice out of three having a slogan in a "vote for your favorite magnet design" page is not that slogan being the official DNC campaign slogan. This is a stretch even by your usual standards.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
https://www.facebook.com/notes/divine-pharaoh/a-scenario-for-a-utopian-society/939453186184

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

comes along bort posted:

Yeah the "Not A Republican" thing has been around on official DNC stuff since 2012 at least. One day I'm sure it'll prove effective and inspiring.

It's effective for me because the Republicans are so horrible these days, but saying that up front to people as an actual slogan is stupid because people that are not political junkies or recovering political junkies might not be aware how horrible the Republicans are these days. The insularity of it repels people, not attracts them. Like, here's a better slogan: We Won't Try to Deport 12 Million People On Principle. We Think Insane People Should Not Own Firearms, Whereas Our Opponents Think They Should. We Believe Our Water Should be Drinkable, and That This is More Important Than Corporate Profits (only applies to some Democrats). We Will Not Restrict Your Ability to Vote. We Don't Think Poor People are Lazy, Or That They Deserve to be Poor Because they are Genetically Inferior or of Weaker Moral Character.
yes, these are awful, but they are still better than THAT.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Where's the option for We Shall Seize Control of the Means of Production?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
From the way CNN reacts, you'd think "Limit subsidies to corporations making over $10 million a year after deductions" was the same thing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chief Savage Man posted:

Where's the option for We Shall Seize Control of the Means of Production?

I like to imagine it's on there twice, only one has "(ironically)" and the other has "(unironically)" after.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
So does anyone think that this year's CPAC has changed things even a smidgeon as far as how the 2014 primaries and general elections go?

As far as I can tell, nothing was said that fell even a little bit out of the status quo. A lot of well-known figures said things that were as "conservative" as they could possibly get without getting too much backlash. As far as I've heard, there has been no changes to the power balance as far as religious/tea partiers/libertarians/national security/etc. blocks go.

Although I am glad that Paul Ryan pointed out that school lunches can steal poor children's souls, I am sure that someone will be able to work that into their White Wolf gaming session.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

So does anyone think that this year's CPAC has changed things even a smidgeon as far as how the 2014 primaries and general elections go?

As far as I can tell, nothing was said that fell even a little bit out of the status quo. A lot of well-known figures said things that were as "conservative" as they could possibly get without getting too much backlash. As far as I've heard, there has been no changes to the power balance as far as religious/tea partiers/libertarians/national security/etc. blocks go.

Although I am glad that Paul Ryan pointed out that school lunches can steal poor children's souls, I am sure that someone will be able to work that into their White Wolf gaming session.
If it makes you feel better, at least one of the talking heads on Fox was saying this too (it was on at work so I didn't get to see who was speaking). They commented that there weren't many women as speakers, there weren't many minorities as speakers, and none of the ideas felt particularly new. The big comment was "Rand Paul says pretty much what we all expected Rand Paul to say." It was surprisingly self-aware of some of the flaws of the Republican party as it tries to move forward. You know, besides the crazy.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Ravenfood posted:

If it makes you feel better, at least one of the talking heads on Fox was saying this too (it was on at work so I didn't get to see who was speaking). They commented that there weren't many women as speakers, there weren't many minorities as speakers, and none of the ideas felt particularly new. The big comment was "Rand Paul says pretty much what we all expected Rand Paul to say." It was surprisingly self-aware of some of the flaws of the Republican party as it tries to move forward. You know, besides the crazy.

I don't know if it makes me feel better or worse that Fox News is repeating my observations.

I guess that if the CPAC and its affiliates isn't trying to change strategies, that means that they feel pretty secure that they have a winning strategy for both the primary and general elections. Despite their habit of focusing on narrative over data, I think that they are probably fairly right in this assumption.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

glowing-fish posted:

I don't know if it makes me feel better or worse that Fox News is repeating my observations.

Fox News is very firmly the establishment wing of the GOP. CPAC and the GOP establishment, in recent years, have not gotten along particularly well. CPAC tends to draw about the same crowd as your average GOP primary function, and that means lots of crazies/Ron Paul supporters/single issue voters. It's heavy on principles and completely vacant of any kind of actual election strategizing or discussions of coherent governance. It's a function where Ron Paul can win a straw poll for president.

Dems and GOP establishment types having about the same view of Rand Paul or Ted Cruz is not surprising.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The one interesting thing about CPAC was the extent to which the crazier elements of the conservative movement were kept out of public view. No Orly Taitz, no Pam Gellar, no Frank Gaffney, no John Derbyshire, no Allen West, no Ginny Thomas - and no secession or impeachement or birth certificate talk, no apocalyptica. There weren't even any high-profile snubs of gay or atheist conservative groups. They had to hold their own separate mini-convention nearby (a Slamdance to CPAC's Sundance) with much lower attendance and profile.

I read at least one writer wondering if its a sign that the GOP is getting serious about making sure the Tea Party doesn't sabotage what's shaping up to be a very strong Republican election year. If so, bad news for Dems (I was counting on Team R throwing away 1-2 winnable Senate seats with kook candidates or independent tea-partier runs that siphon off Republican votes).

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

FL-13 election is Tuesday, and polls show Alex Sink just a tad ahead of David Jolly.

Good lord, Sink is a terrible campaigner. This should've been a slam dunk for the Dems, but now it's a total tossup. She sucked when she lost to Rick Scott in 2010, and she's been no better here. Meh.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Ballz posted:

Good lord, Sink is a terrible campaigner. This should've been a slam dunk for the Dems, but now it's a total tossup.

What this never happens. Wait am I following democratic elections again, I think I'd prefer a stiff drink and a brisk mugging, thank you.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ballz posted:

FL-13 election is Tuesday, and polls show Alex Sink just a tad ahead of David Jolly.

Good lord, Sink is a terrible campaigner. This should've been a slam dunk for the Dems, but now it's a total tossup. She sucked when she lost to Rick Scott in 2010, and she's been no better here. Meh.

To be fair to her, it is a republican-leaning district so she has to overcome a bit of a headwind just to break even. That said, she's the end result of everything you might expect the Florida Democratic machine to turn out...so yeah, she's not very good at all. At least she hasn't blatantly cheated during a debate this time.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

It's not as red as you think. It's stayed in GOP hands for so long simply on account of it being previously occupied by Bill Young. The district's been turning purple over the last several elections.

A household name Democrat who's previously won statewide election and has a massive war chest should have a solid advantage over a no-name lobbyist who's friends with Bob Barker. Don't get me wrong, I still think she can win tomorrow, but even if she does, she'll still be seen as vulnerable when we do this all over again in November.

If that happens, I fully expect Young's batshit crazy widow to run against her.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

Nothing ever actually happens at CPAC, it's just a circus.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Living here in FL I can tell you that it's because Sink is not a good campaigner as mentioned AND the FL Dems are a joke.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

FlamingLiberal posted:

Living here in FL I can tell you that it's because Sink is not a good campaigner as mentioned AND the FL Dems are a joke.

The fact that the best candidate the Democrats could muster up to take on Rick loving Scott is a former Republican with tons of baggage should tell you a lot about the state of the party right there.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ballz posted:

The fact that the best candidate the Democrats could muster up to take on Rick loving Scott is a former Republican with tons of baggage should tell you a lot about the state of the party right there.

They're transplanted Democrats from New England. They're even older than the old, white GOP bus. Sure, I bet there are some young'uns in the state party, but I assume they're frozen out by the olds.

How old? Oh, probably had their medicaid cards issued under Reagan.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Apparently the Jolly campaign has had it's share of issues as well:

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=0226D16D-0204-4B5A-9969-F6BD5A3E0DA2

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Sink was a terrible campaigner when she went in for governor and it doesn't surprise me she is blowing away an easier race.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ballz posted:

"Best candidate" means nothing, Christ would wipe the floor with any primary opponent short of Menendez, who won't give up his Senate seat to run, and will probably wipe the floor with Scott as well. I haven't checked in in the past few months but what baggage might this be, out of curiousity? Is it his broad, bipartisan appeal, his high approval ratings, his successful previous two terms as governor? What?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Cliff Racer posted:

"Best candidate" means nothing, Christ would wipe the floor with any primary opponent short of Menendez, who won't give up his Senate seat to run, and will probably wipe the floor with Scott as well. I haven't checked in in the past few months but what baggage might this be, out of curiousity? Is it his broad, bipartisan appeal, his high approval ratings, his successful previous two terms as governor? What?

At first I thought you typo'd Crist by saying "Christ." But then you started talking about Menendez and his Senate seat, so then I thought you confused Crist for Christie. But then you brought up broad bipartisan appeal, high approval rating and two previous terms as governor so now I have no idea who the hell you're talking about. But it's definitely not former 1-term Republican Governor Charlie Crist of Florida, who is now trying to win his way back into the governor's mansion as a Democrat.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Jesus served two terms as governor of Idaho. They don't like to talk about it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

IL 13th Congressional district is running a slew of candidates for Democratic candidate for House rep, all of whom would be worlds better than the current shitstain, Rodney Davis (R). Primary election day is March 18th but absentee voting and early voting has already started. This is going to be one of the most competitive races of the year regardless who wins the nod as Davis won by less than 1% against a very lukewarm multiple-time also-ran (David Gill). There is going to be a shitload of money poured into this race.

I'm really liking the sound of George Gollin (judge Ann Callis is the party pick, with all the lukewarm boilerplate that entails). He's a professor of particle physics at the University of Illinois and has actually raised a competitive amount of money, comes across as intelligent and well-spoken, and other than this odd obsession with 'full employment' which I'm not sure is possible, seems really on the ball as far as understanding of the issues goes. Of course ivory tower elitist using fifty cent words usually goes up about as well as a lead balloon around here, so hopefully all the college kids and minorities come out in force.

The third candidate is even further left than Gollin, David Green, and lives up to his last name. Pretty sure he's just running to make a statement and not sure why he isn't running on the Green party platform, he pretty much lines up with it exactly.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ballz posted:

At first I thought you typo'd Crist by saying "Christ." But then you started talking about Menendez and his Senate seat, so then I thought you confused Crist for Christie. But then you brought up broad bipartisan appeal, high approval rating and two previous terms as governor so now I have no idea who the hell you're talking about. But it's definitely not former 1-term Republican Governor Charlie Crist of Florida, who is now trying to win his way back into the governor's mansion as a Democrat.

Sorry, it was Crist, who's name I never manage to spell properly, and I confused Nelson and Menendez, something I also do constantly. I'm shocked that he only served one term though. So I'll ask again, what-other than possible gayness- is the skeleton in his closet?

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Oracle posted:

IL 13th Congressional district is running a slew of candidates for Democratic candidate for House rep, all of whom would be worlds better than the current shitstain, Rodney Davis (R). Primary election day is March 18th but absentee voting and early voting has already started. This is going to be one of the most competitive races of the year regardless who wins the nod as Davis won by less than 1% against a very lukewarm multiple-time also-ran (David Gill). There is going to be a shitload of money poured into this race.

I'm really liking the sound of George Gollin (judge Ann Callis is the party pick, with all the lukewarm boilerplate that entails). He's a professor of particle physics at the University of Illinois and has actually raised a competitive amount of money, comes across as intelligent and well-spoken, and other than this odd obsession with 'full employment' which I'm not sure is possible, seems really on the ball as far as understanding of the issues goes. Of course ivory tower elitist using fifty cent words usually goes up about as well as a lead balloon around here, so hopefully all the college kids and minorities come out in force.

The third candidate is even further left than Gollin, David Green, and lives up to his last name. Pretty sure he's just running to make a statement and not sure why he isn't running on the Green party platform, he pretty much lines up with it exactly.

"Full Employment" as a policy is a real thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humphrey%96Hawkins_Full_Employment_Act

This version was once much more expansive, but got watered down for passage by Carter since, as with now and forever, there's no leftist majority available to pass it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cliff Racer posted:

Sorry, it was Crist, who's name I never manage to spell properly, and I confused Nelson and Menendez, something I also do constantly. I'm shocked that he only served one term though. So I'll ask again, what-other than possible gayness- is the skeleton in his closet?

From what I recall there's been a bunch of looking into campaign contributions/kickbacks within the Florida GOP at the time that he was involved in.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Sink was a terrible campaigner when she went in for governor and it doesn't surprise me she is blowing away an easier race.

Only the Florida democratic party could lose a governors race to literally a white collar criminal and then allow that same failed candidate to piss away another race 4 years later.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

De Nomolos posted:

"Full Employment" as a policy is a real thing.
Wow, thanks for that, I had no idea that was currently law of the land. So that act would actually provide for Obama to like, hire a million people to fix the roads tomorrow if he wanted given the conditions exist economically currently to allow for a temporary creation of government jobs? Am I reading that right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crist is far better that the alternative. He's also more popular now than before he left office. Then again, a lot of people in this state loved Jeb Bush.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlamingLiberal posted:

Crist is far better that the alternative. He's also more popular now than before he left office. Then again, a lot of people in this state loved Jeb Bush.

That was before his family name became synonymous with frighteningly dangerous incompetence, but after a couple terms as governor in which he wasn't aggressively awful. He spoke fluent Spanish, saw incarceration as pointless without some effort at rehabilitation (this was basically "put prisoners to work" if I recall, but more along the lines of actual productive work and not pointless slave labor), and generally didn't engage in too much fuckery. That goddamn FCAT was a pile of poo poo and hasn't changed since. Luckily I was in 7th grade when they first started beta testing it with students, so the whole "teach to the test" poo poo hadn't really caught on by the time I graduated. By the time my brother graduated 4 years later he was talking about how his English class engaged in barely any literature study and spent the year learning how to write an effective 5 paragraph essay. He was jealous that my junior-year English class spent a semester on Melville and Hemingway, followed by my senior-year class doing the same with Steinbeck.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Party Plane Jones posted:

From what I recall there's been a bunch of looking into campaign contributions/kickbacks within the Florida GOP at the time that he was involved in.

Yeah, Crist is closely tied to ex-Florida GOP leader Jim Greer, who is currently serving an 18-month prison sentence. Greer has all along said he was acting under then-Governor Crist's orders, and guess what? He gets out of jail a month or two before the election and is already working on a book that will no doubt dish a ton of dirt.

Edit: There's plenty of other ammo we can expect Scott to use, including Crist's famous "embrace" of Obama that ultimately sunk his campaign to Marco Rubio, and how he saw Florida's economy go completely into the shitter on his watch (the caveat being the entire country went into the shitter at the same time). They'll probably paint Crist as the ultimate opportunist flip-flopper, from the obvious party switching to changing his stance on other issues such as same-sex marriage.

This November's election is going to be dirty as hell, and I guarantee Crist's high approval ratings are gonna drop like a brick before all is said and done.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 11, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I find it very hard to get emotionally invested in a slimeball like Charlie Crist winning an election. Even if he's running against a criminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Sounds like the election will be McCaulliffe 2.0

• Locked thread