Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

bonestructure posted:

Have there always been this many credulous idiots in the world?

Yes, but now they're more public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

Aphtonites has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Mar 10, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Ho ho, here's a local one.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/toddlers-facetime-saves-mom-dog-bite/t/story?id=22836819

I know the mom in the story. They've been on Good Morning America, the Today Show, and Dr. Oz and keep telling the story about their hero toddler blah blah blah.
The real story is much less "heroic".

They are the prime example of neglectful parents/pet owners. They had two miniature pinscher dogs for years, but neglected to train or socialize them properly so they are angry little biters. They then decided to get a pit bull, with their three toddlers at home.
The whole time, their extended families begged and pleaded them not to, because it would be unsafe for their children. They argued back that everyone has the "pitbull stigma", and that "it's not about the dog, it's about the owner" blah blah blah. What the family members probably really meant was that their current dogs are poorly-trained assholes, and that they're not responsible enough to own and train an animal that could possibly kill their children.

So in addition to that pitbull, they decide to foster a rescue pitbull from the same rescue place. At the same time as they're introducing a new dog. The foster dog has had a history of aggression. :downs:

The foster pitbull attacks one of the smaller dogs, and Laura intervenes. She almost loses a couple fingers, and the aftermath of the attack left her losing so much blood that she couldn't use her iphone touchscreen. The two four year olds are totally unfazed, and don't stop watching their TV show as mom is bleeding to death. The 2 year old has a habit of using mom's phone to toddler-drunk-dial all of mom's contacts on facetime. So he calls up and starts blabbing, with zero understanding of the urgency or emergency. Mom screams for help, and the friend overhears it, and emergency responders show up.
She had emergency reconstructive hand surgery to save her fingers, and has had another surgery since then. I forgot to mention that one of the 4 year olds lost part of a finger in a different accident this year due to stupid parent decisions. I'm so glad her kids didn't get mauled to death.

So, TL;DR a series of very irresponsible decisions created an emergency, and a series of fortunate accidents kept someone from dying. HERO TODDLER HERO MOM EVERYBODY'S A HERO

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Who names their kid Bentley?

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Lazy_Liberal posted:

One of the girls on 16 & Pregnant did. :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Toad on a Hat posted:

"There's no information on what happened to the plane"

"TERRORISM" :byodood:

To be fair, you just described the precise journalistic process that Rupert Murdoch endorses.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Lazy_Liberal posted:

My idiot cousin, for one.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Scarf posted:

Well it was also noted that two of the passengers were in possession of stolen passports and purchased their tickets together.

TERRORISM :byodood:

In all seriousness, I hate "news" organizations (or even people) who say "It's too early to speculate" and then immediately launch into speculation. CNN has perfected that art.

deadly_pudding posted:

To be fair, you just described the precise journalistic process that Rupert Murdoch endorses.

Case in point.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

The casual racists who make fun of black people for giving their kids African-American names never complain about the Bentleys of the world.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Clochette posted:

The casual racists who make fun of black people for giving their kids African-American names never complain about the Bentleys of the world.

Oh, you poor naive fool, I present to you Ms Katie Hopkins, hated across the UK except by other racists ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...es-8690468.html

(ps, her kid is called "India")

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SybilVimes posted:

Oh, you poor naive fool, I present to you Ms Katie Hopkins, hated across the UK except by other racists ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...es-8690468.html

(ps, her kid is called "India")

Today I learned that Tyler is a working class kids name?

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

I do agree that you shouldn't name your kid Chardonnay unless you want them to become a stripper.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Toad on a Hat posted:

In all seriousness, I hate "news" organizations (or even people) who say "It's too early to speculate" and then immediately launch into speculation. CNN has perfected that art.

No they have not. Fox News is the master of non-speculation while CNN just uses that line to try shutting down speculation that contradicts the speculation they've been "investigating" nonstop since Wolf's twitter friends broke the news.

Fake edit: Speaking of terrible names, other than being a furry, why would you think Wolf would make for a good name?

Real edit:

Little Blackfly posted:

Presumably being of germanic heriatge. Dolf or Adolf or Wolfgang or Wolfram for instance. A lot of German names work in animal names, like wolves and ravens and bears. I always just figured Wolf's parent's were trying to assimilate while staying true to their heritage, or that his real name was Adolph :v:.

It's a name of someone who belongs to a group of people I don't like because of totally legit reasons and :freep:

Seriously though, I amaze me with my inability to put two and two together.

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Mar 11, 2014

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

MizPiz posted:

Fake edit: Speaking of terrible names, other than being a furry, why would you think Wolf would make for a good name?

Presumably being of germanic heriatge. Dolf or Adolf or Wolfgang or Wolfram for instance. A lot of German names work in animal names, like wolves and ravens and bears. I always just figured Wolf's parent's were trying to assimilate while staying true to their heritage, or that his real name was Adolph :v:.

E: Oh my god, I suddenly understand Nazi Furries.

Ex2: Wow, Wolf's parents are Polishs Jews who escaped the Holocaust and set up in West Germany after the war. I guess they chose Wolf as the English/German name equivalent of Zev, which is the Hebrew word for wolf and is a fairly common Jewish name.

Political Whores has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Mar 11, 2014

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Posting for the irony that he also sometimes post statuses on how he doesn't have a g/f and wants one, and also for blue's comment.

Also, he may lift a bit too much. Tastes may vary, but there's a difference between "Oh, your biceps are so firm, I want to feel them" and "Your back......kind of looks like it has alien eggs growing in it". I mean

a bit too much lifting.

Amused to Death has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Mar 11, 2014

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Amused to Death posted:

Posting for the irony that he also sometimes post statuses on how he doesn't have a g/f, and also for blue's comment.

Also, he may lift a bit too much. Tastes may vary, but there's a difference between "Oh, your biceps are so firm, I want to feel them" and "Your back......kind of looks like it has alien eggs growing in it". I mean

a bit too much lifting.

"If I wanted to take her right now I could, who would stop me?"

- A rapist

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Amused to Death posted:

Posting for the irony that he also sometimes post statuses on how he doesn't have a g/f, and also for blue's comment.

a bit too much lifting.

Wait, is blue the guy in the pic?
That's...he basically said "If I wanted to rape her, how could he stop me :mrapig:... NoCaveman"

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Lol, cuz fit girls have no "asses." Totally. All the comments are idiotic but that's really, really dumb.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Today I learned that Tyler is a working class kids name?

Dammit....I'm so mad at her now. Whadda oval office.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Postal Parcel posted:

Wait, is blue the guy in the pic?
That's...he basically said "If I wanted to rape her, how could he stop me :mrapig:... NoCaveman"

Nah, it's the OP in the pic. However, blue guy is an upstanding member of the United States Army!(military people on here who are cool, why is the general military culture so terrible :negative:)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Amused to Death posted:

Nah, it's the OP in the pic. However, blue guy is an upstanding member of the United States Army!(military people on here who are cool, why is the general military culture so terrible :negative:)

My dad's conservative friend once told me that a goodly portion of folks in the armed forces are conservative. I'm not sure if that's just wishful thinking on his part, but it would go a fair way toward explaining that...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Aerdan posted:

a goodly portion of folks in the armed forces are conservative

Is this supposed to be something other than common knowledge?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Aerdan posted:

My dad's conservative friend once told me that a goodly portion of folks in the armed forces are conservative. I'm not sure if that's just wishful thinking on his part, but it would go a fair way toward explaining that...

Ask him about veterans. Based on my anecdotal experience, a lot of soldiers swing hard left* once they are done. Still deeply religious, anti-abortion folks. Basically, they become the target demographic that the Democratic party goes after.

* As in, they move really far to the left relative of where they were.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

MURRICA.txt

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I think things have slightly improved for Bill*, the Sad Sack I've posted about before. From what I saw, he managed to get out a few times and had a good time. Then with nary a week's pause, he went straight back to complaining about not ever having anything to do. I've ignored it for the most part, as it's the same old poo poo and not really funny. Then this morning, I woke up to see this:

https://m.facebook.com/events/1388157368075934

:psyduck:

I'm not even sure what this is, but it apparently started like 6 hours ago and got completely spammed. Urban Exploration is apparently chockablock full of really lovely drama and really petty people.

*Since this seems to be a public event, I'm not bothering to block out his name.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

We were having a perfectly civil discussion about the econometric effects of abortion, and blue felt compelled to post about the morality of it. Her post took up basically a full screen, and was just "But it's bad guys because the bible says so". Then she whined about us ignoring her, and I posted that. It's assholish, sure, but she's praying for me so hopefully one day I won't have so much hate in my heart.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Rogue 7 posted:

I think things have slightly improved for Bill*, the Sad Sack I've posted about before. From what I saw, he managed to get out a few times and had a good time. Then with nary a week's pause, he went straight back to complaining about not ever having anything to do. I've ignored it for the most part, as it's the same old poo poo and not really funny. Then this morning, I woke up to see this:

I'm not even sure what this is, but it apparently started like 6 hours ago and got completely spammed. Urban Exploration is apparently chockablock full of really lovely drama and really petty people.

*Since this seems to be a public event, I'm not bothering to block out his name.

Ahahaha I'm friends with this guy on Facebook.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Amused to Death posted:

a bit too much lifting.

What is this poo poo?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Rogue 7 posted:

This is beautiful. :allears:

So great is the lure of the sad sack that it takes a public awareness campaign to get people to stop rewarding this black hole of self-pity with their attention.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Well, guy I haven't seen since you dropped out of high school at 14, you seem to have figured it all out.

The article for the record, which I'm not sure is more or less crazy:

http://worldtruth.tv/six-important-facts-youre-not-being-told-about-lost-malaysia-airlines-flight-370/

edit: missed a name. Pic edited.

SurreptitiousMuffin has a new favorite as of 13:04 on Mar 11, 2014

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

I don't know what news outlets this guy is following, but Anderson Cooper mentioned all of these except #4 in his show last night. If it shows up on loving CNN, the mainstream media isn't doing a very good job of keeping it a secret.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Clochette posted:

I do agree that you shouldn't name your kid Chardonnay unless you want them to become a stripper.

My little sister's baby-daddy named his daughter (my niece) Lexus, because in his words "I've always wanted one" :downsgun:. At least him and his family are still in her (my nieces') life to a minor extent.

Amused to Death posted:

Because the military is a culture where intelligence and compassion are not high on the priority list (there was a Marine who once said something like "Strength is required; intelligence is optional"). 4 out of 5 soldiers (seaman,airmen, marines, whatever) you meet are total dipshits and are motivated entirely by the idea that they are heroes defending freedom, while simultaneously being whiny, lazy, two-faced, back-stabbing assholes. Take a look in GiP sometime: when we're not insulting each other or drinking, we're usually complaining about how stupid the military and everyone in it (including ourselves, for getting involved in the whole mess) is.

Eulogistics has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Mar 11, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think it was in Freakonomics that posited that baby names are cyclical: Rich people name their kids x, then poor people also name their kids x to try and give them a better status in life, however superficially. Rich people then notice the trend and start naming their kids y to move away from the common folk names, and the cycle begins anew.

Similarly, poor people name their kids things like Chardonnay and Lexus because that's rich people stuff and they want to project a little bit of that high-class status and prestige to their children in the hopes that they'll live up to it.

I don't know how legit the science/argument was, but it seemed to make sense at the time. I don't think it's bad so much as a reflection of the dire economic straits people find themselves in.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Eulogistics posted:

Because the military is a culture where intelligence and compassion are not high on the priority list (there was a Marine who once said something like "Strength is required; intelligence is optional").

Of no particular importance but this is one of those silly-rear end backronyms: Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Not Essential (MARINE). Another one relevant to the thread is Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, which got coopted for a terrible Facebook page we've seen posts from.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Another one relevant to the thread is Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, which got coopted for a terrible Facebook page we've seen posts from.

gently caress this page so hard. I swear most of my family only use Facebook to share nothing but posts from that page.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Eulogistics posted:

Because the military is a culture where intelligence and compassion are not high on the priority list (there was a Marine who once said something like "Strength is required; intelligence is optional"). 4 out of 5 soldiers (seaman,airmen, marines, whatever) you meet are total dipshits and are motivated entirely by the idea that they are heroes defending freedom, while simultaneously being whiny, lazy, two-faced, back-stabbing assholes. Take a look in GiP sometime: when we're not insulting each other or drinking, we're usually complaining about how stupid the military and everyone in it (including ourselves, for getting involved in the whole mess) is.

Look at this intelligent and compassionate person.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

- - -

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Apr 2, 2014

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Eulogistics posted:

My little sister's baby-daddy named his daughter (my niece) Lexus, because in his words "I've always wanted one" :downsgun:. At least him and his family are still in her (my nieces') life to a minor extent.

I'm pretty sure that guy just copied a kanye west song.

Kanye West posted:

Couldn't afford a car so she named her daughter Alexis

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So, Dr Who photo-manip dude's mind finally broke, I think.

Can anyone translate this from batshit crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So, Dr Who photo-manip dude's mind finally broke, I think.

Can anyone translate this from batshit crazy?

Schizophrenia?

• Locked thread