Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

You could also do a Weekend at Burnie's thing where the guy who holds the warrant is still totally alive and kicking he's just busy right now and told me to give orders and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Funktastic Dog posted:

What sort of creature's would Baal and it's moons have?

I've already got Fire Scorpions, but I need some more. They can be invented too, I'm just drawing a blank for ideas.

Find a creature that's in Fallout and run a quick check to figure out how awesome it is and whether or not you could adapt it so your players don't recognize it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hawgh posted:

But even if all that is something your players would want to get into, it wouldn't really become relevant unless they ran into someone insisting on talking to the Rogue Trader in person, which doesn't seem likely to happen on a space marine murder-mission.

The plan beyond the initial setup is that the Iron Hands are going to a hive world to do something they don't want other Imperial authorities to know about and will specifically tell the PCs to interact with no Imperial authorities on the trip. On the other hand, the now-deceased Rogue Trader is known to have the occasional dealing with the Inquisition. I intend to leave it up to the players if they want to play along and make nice with a founding chapter of Space Marines known for being tremendous assholes, or if they want to sell out the Iron Hands to the Inquisition. Still working on the details, but the central premise is "Space Marines kill the guy in charge and his top officers, y'all are the ones in charge now on a dangerous mission."

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Cue running inquisitors around the ship, with profuse apologies that "His lordship was not in his chambers, but currently inspecting the cargo in bay 33D - no, the armory - no, the bridge - wait, no. I have it on good authority that he went to a [40KOpium] club in the hive. Sorry."

Benny Hill theme optional.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Have the Admech turn the old captain's corpse into an elaborate servitor that the group sock-puppets. Solved!

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Hawgh posted:

I think they're mostly hereditary (by the fluff). So either it should have it a slightly different "Whoever holds this is totes in charge"-addendum, or your players should elect whoever looks the most like the dead boss to really work on his improv skills.
Title the warrant to "The Captain of the Such-and-such and his heirs". Argue that as the Captain, you are now the warrant holder. Optionally, kill his heirs to remove the ambiguity.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Uroboros posted:

This...it pretty clearly means he is a blank.

No, it doesn't. Being possessed then un-possessed makes you seem to have no soul as well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

That was the premise I was thinking of rolling with, yeah. When the Iron Hands say you are now the Rogue Trader in charge, you are now the Rogue Trader in charge. Please direct all further questions to the captain's still-smoking bolter.

Plus, this lets your players plot to potentially subvert or kill an Iron Hand Marine, and the more dead Iron Hands in the Imperium, the better off everyone is. They're pretty much the worst Marines who aren't explicitly called 'Marines Malevolent.' Or Flesh Tearers.

Come to think of it, there are a lot of stupidly crazy violent teamkiller Chapters out there, aren't there?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Cythereal posted:

The Rogue Trader chat over the last couple of pages got me drawing up an idea to try a Rogue Trader game with my game group. Basic premise I'm looking at is this: the PCs are high-ranking officers on a Rogue Trader ship that made a deal with the Iron Hands to get several squads somewhere the PCs don't really need to know about. Upon arriving on the ship, the Iron Hands captain pronounces the rogue trader in charge a coward and general detriment to the Imperium and executes him and the rest of his ranking officers, then turns to the PCs and congratulates them on their promotions and hopes that they will be more competent than their predecessors, as this errand is not for the faint of heart.

Is there a procedure for inheriting the title of Rogue Trader after the previous guy was executed by Space Marines? Or is it more "Adeptus Astartes said I'm the new Rogue Trader, therefore I'm the new Rogue Trader"?
Technically the marines would be committing a crime but in practice it's a question of whether the rogue trader was important enough for people to start going after the marines for it. It might be controversial and some might be willing to do that and others not.

Technically they also have no authority to transfer the warrant. But that's a plot hook, leave it to your players. They have a ship but their status is of dubious legality. Try to barter with the marines to get some sort of guarantee, try to perform more services for them for their protection, or just hope it doesn't matter. Or go pirate. Lots of options!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
In general there is no one true "this is how poo poo really works" in 40K. If you want to run a game where the players fall into command of their very own ship and Warrant of Trade courtesy of a cranky space marine then go for it. The 40K universe is big and vast and the all kinds of poo poo goes on. Like others have said, this can either be the lead-in to future plot seeds or it can be ignored at your discretion. Maybe the players attempt to "legitimately" secure their newfound Warrant by marrying into the former Rogue Trader's family. Maybe he simply forges a fake identity for himself. Maybe nobody gives a gently caress because space is big and it's not like you get emails from home every day.

If the players are smart, one of their first command decisions should be "no more rides for Iron Hands, ever."

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

If the players are into political games, get the late RT's family and retainers involved. Those that loved him will see the PCs as an enemy, those that hated him will see them as pawns, or perhaps stepping-stones to the Warrant itself. Still others will be sycophants who just want their lunch paid for. Some are probably one the ship right now.

The trick will be the players figuring out who's up to what before the 'accidents' start.

Of course, the players might decide to shoot lances at the IH drop pods as they deploy, and gently caress right off to another sector.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
When I last ran a Rogue Trader game the players went with a proud, ancient, and (of course) cursed lineage, dating back to the foundation of the Imperium itself, its physical Warrant held in a stasis field somewhere and, they decided, bearing the signature of none other than the Warmaster Horus, himself. Though a closely guarded secret, having Space Satan ratify your players' line of work just gives so many great hooks.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

When I last ran a Rogue Trader game the players went with a proud, ancient, and (of course) cursed lineage, dating back to the foundation of the Imperium itself, its physical Warrant held in a stasis field somewhere and, they decided, bearing the signature of none other than the Warmaster Horus, himself. Though a closely guarded secret, having Space Satan ratify your players' line of work just gives so many great hooks.

drat, that is a great plot hook. Color me impressed!

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

That's really fantastic! I once wrote up a Warrant signed by Guilliman, and a Letter of Marque from Sebastian Thor. I printed them out with both 'fancy' and 'legible' typefaces, had them all set for my party.

They glanced at them briefly, and one said "This means we can steal other ships? gently caress. Yes."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hell, a Government Inspector RT game would be fun as hell. Where you are not, actually, a Rogue Trader. Merely a very successful pirate or something of the sort who has his or her own starship and eccentric crew and the proper mannerisms and mindset and just kind of lets people think you've got some super ancient warrant somewhere. It's not like 'Be a rogue trader while not actually being a rogue trader' is the most egregious thing a rogue trader has done.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Night10194 posted:

Hell, a Government Inspector RT game would be fun as hell. Where you are not, actually, a Rogue Trader. Merely a very successful pirate or something of the sort who has his or her own starship and eccentric crew and the proper mannerisms and mindset and just kind of lets people think you've got some super ancient warrant somewhere. It's not like 'Be a rogue trader while not actually being a rogue trader' is the most egregious thing a rogue trader has done.

My current black crusade games here on the forums, titled rogue crusade, has the players operating under a stolen warrant and ship, to enable them to do espionage throughout imperial space.

Game spoilers for the players, very soon I'm going to have the family start trying to track down the players, as they are claiming the warrant holder is alive or claiming they are the rightful holder. A warrant of trade is something I'd think a family would spend big bucks trying to track down.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Night10194 posted:

Or a game could be about the Adeptus that oversees Rogue Traders. Have them running around trying to track down who holds Warrent of Trade SKKSS7789955 now and what shady dealings they are doing and what to do to stop them (or take a massive bribe to not get the Inquisition or others involved).

Plus no one would of heard of the branch of government and it would be a up hill struggle just to get help.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Or a game could be about the Adeptus that oversees Rogue Traders. Have them running around trying to track down who holds Warrent of Trade SKKSS7789955 now and what shady dealings they are doing and what to do to stop them (or take a massive bribe to not get the Inquisition or others involved).

Plus no one would of heard of the branch of government and it would be a up hill struggle just to get help.

We did an OW game like this playing as a Munitorium clerk team, with the players charged to rush into warzones and make sure troops weren't oversupplied and were using only approved tech, etc, and to demand the return of any oversupply or battlefield salvage in the process.

Basically, they were in as much danger from the Guardsmen around them trying to kill them to get rid of them as they were from the Eldar or Orks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ended up running the Rogue Trader game with my gaming group yesterday, and the PCs discovered that the Writ could be passed on to the current bearer's wife or children. Said Rogue Trader had no wife or children. The PCs decided they could work with that, and surprisingly little shenanigans ensued at the time from our female Imperial Guard veteran retroactively getting married to the guy a few years earlier.

The real fun came when they got to the hive world with the Iron Hands. On the one hand, the Iron Hands and their successors have all sworn vengeance on the PCs and there's a powerful arch-magos of the Adeptus Mechanicus trying very hard to get them declared hereteks. On the other hand, they have an excellent working relationship with the Adeptus Arbites and Adepta Sororitas that even lead to a nice profit, a Necron overlord sent the PCs one of his finest Harbingers of Transmogrification and a retinue of warriors and scarabs to maintain the PCs' ship as recompense for the great favor the PCs performed for him (said Harbinger thinks that slumming on this adorably primitive ship with all the politics and excitement is the best thing ever), and the Ordo Xenos has agreed to sort out the paperwork and smooth things over with the Adeptus Administratum in exchange for one teensy little favor that will be the subject of next week's adventure. Along with keeping the Ordo Xenos inquisitor from realizing that the ship's senior tech-priest is actually a Necron cryptek.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Cythereal posted:

Ended up running the Rogue Trader game with my gaming group yesterday, and the PCs discovered that the Writ could be passed on to the current bearer's wife or children. Said Rogue Trader had no wife or children. The PCs decided they could work with that, and surprisingly little shenanigans ensued at the time from our female Imperial Guard veteran retroactively getting married to the guy a few years earlier.

The real fun came when they got to the hive world with the Iron Hands. On the one hand, the Iron Hands and their successors have all sworn vengeance on the PCs and there's a powerful arch-magos of the Adeptus Mechanicus trying very hard to get them declared hereteks. On the other hand, they have an excellent working relationship with the Adeptus Arbites and Adepta Sororitas that even lead to a nice profit, a Necron overlord sent the PCs one of his finest Harbingers of Transmogrification and a retinue of warriors and scarabs to maintain the PCs' ship as recompense for the great favor the PCs performed for him (said Harbinger thinks that slumming on this adorably primitive ship with all the politics and excitement is the best thing ever), and the Ordo Xenos has agreed to sort out the paperwork and smooth things over with the Adeptus Administratum in exchange for one teensy little favor that will be the subject of next week's adventure. Along with keeping the Ordo Xenos inquisitor from realizing that the ship's senior tech-priest is actually a Necron cryptek.

I would like to congratulate you on 100% understading the game you are playing.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

You shouldn't ally with Necrons! It means you can't ally with the Eldar! Mind controlling Eldars with Necron scarabs doesn't count!

That said, pissing off legitimate authorities and making alliances with dubious factions is the best thing ever. Eventually even puritan Ordo Xenos Inquisitors might ask your help in allying with Taus because they certainly don't have the patience for that. Also what is it with senior tech-priests and Rogue Traders, I always hear about how in RT your average Explorator is a heretek, psychopath or worse, and I am currently playing one of those belonging to the "or worse" category. Though I guess no sane tech-priest is going to accompany a PC Rogue Trader since PC Rogue Trader's tend to be the shadiest Rogue Traders of them all. Gotta go with what you get, even if it is a psychopath, obvious heretek or nutcase Genetor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Also what is it with senior tech-priests and Rogue Traders, I always hear about how in RT your average Explorator is a heretek, psychopath or worse, and I am currently playing one of those belonging to the "or worse" category. Though I guess no sane tech-priest is going to accompany a PC Rogue Trader since PC Rogue Trader's tend to be the shadiest Rogue Traders of them all. Gotta go with what you get, even if it is a psychopath, obvious heretek or nutcase Genetor.

My group's tech priest decided that the Necrons are obviously closer to the Omnissiah than any fleshy authority and squeed when Alexandria Dairos, Second Harbinger of Transmogrification of the Exalted Court of Belshir declared that she would accompany these amusing little primitives that somehow flung themselves into space.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Cythereal posted:

My group's tech priest decided that the Necrons are obviously closer to the Omnissiah than any fleshy authority and squeed when Alexandria Dairos, Second Harbinger of Transmogrification of the Exalted Court of Belshir declared that she would accompany these amusing little primitives that somehow flung themselves into space.

To be perfectly fair, this is apparently how at least half the Mechanicum reacts to the Necrons.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

But Iron Men were a thing of obvious heresy! Therefore, Necrons who resemble them, are by their very nature abominations unto Omnissiah! :commissar: Also jerks! And stupid nerds! Also inedible!

...My Genetor-flavored tech-priest didn't have the best of reasons for hating Necrons. One of the rare times she followed actual official policy when it comes to Xenostech though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

But Iron Men were a thing of obvious heresy! Therefore, Necrons who resemble them, are by their very nature abominations unto Omnissiah! :commissar: Also jerks! And stupid nerds! Also inedible!

...My Genetor-flavored tech-priest didn't have the best of reasons for hating Necrons. One of the rare times she followed actual official policy when it comes to Xenostech though.

The PCs found out that the Iron Hands' gene seed is beginning to fail and some implants have stopped working properly, so they've been working in secret with the Adeptus Mechanicus to come up with mechanical replacements for the malfunctioning implants. Straight up augmetics didn't work, but the Iron Father who's looking to be a recurring nemesis for the PCs took a look at the stories of Ferrus Manus' iron hands and how he got them, took a look at the Necrons, and decided to try harvesting Necrons for their necrodermis to reshape and implant into his chapter. The PCs simultaneously sold out the Iron Hands to both the Ordo Xenos (implanting xenos into Astartes?! HERESY!) and to the Necrons (Pssst, don't tell anyone, but can we work something out?).

They don't know it yet, but the large cargo crate they were asked to bring to the capital of a local Tau world next week has an Eversor assassin inside.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You might need to be careful with that. An Eversor would probably be immediately fatal if the crew were to "inspect" the package.

A crate full of something like a few Slaugth, or a multi-layer shielded psyker fused with a Psycharus Worm (after all, the Tau don't have Gellar Fields...), they could probably handle that. Why the Imperium would be using abominable xenos as weapons is up to you though.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Radical Ordo Xenos Inquisitors can be just as batshit as radical Malleus or Hereticus types so that would be one way. Why should Malleus and Hereticus have all the weird fun?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Who here stated up the halo artifact evesor?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Ronwayne posted:

Who here stated up the halo artifact evesor?

MaliciousOnion posted:

Because this seems to come up fairly often, I'll repost it from the old thread.

Click on my name to be taken to the post (the original poster was Daeren).

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Oh man. Rogue Trader. It is the best game ever.

Today my players:

- Had a climatic sword duel with a rival Rogue Trader on the top of a mountain sized statue for the FATE OF AN ENTIRE PLANET
- Were shaken down for trade concessions by pacifist environmentalist aliens.
- Established an arms trade with the express intention of instigating a planetary civil war
- Diverted a group of pirates using BUREAUCRACY!
- Destroyed one space ship, captured another and gave it over to the bird people
- Conducted the most epic court room trial ever which needs to be told in full:

~

They were contracted as defense attorneys for a crime lord named Liceman. It was over a murder but I explicitly gave them no details about what had actually happened: "You must instead conduct this trial like a soap opera. You will be awarded points for stunts and dramatic twists, appearance, trash talk and actual legal arguments - in that order."

So the trial opens, Liceman is on the stand and Rogue Trader Aryton takes his place in the defense. He starts telling a story about the night the deceased was murdered, about his trip down into the slums of the lower hive to visit a friend ("OBJECTION! The deceased had no friends!") but was stalked by a man with thoughts "So dark that they would shock this entire courtroom to silence if even the least of them was given voice!". The murderer slipped in to the window and stabbed the victim in the neck with a knife ("OBJECTION! The deceased was shot three times with a laser pistol!") - aye, a knife so fine and sharp that it penetrated the skin so perfectly it didn't even leave a mark! At this point, the defendant Liceman entered the room and, seeing the foul murderer about his work, fired wildly with his lasgun as the evildoer made good his escape!

"And the identity of this blackguard is..."

BOOM!

The wall EXPLODED inwards!

In came the Ork crew member, covered head to toe in CHAINSAWS. He roared and stormed up towards the cowering judge. "I AM HERE TO GET YOU," boomed the Ork.

"Why me?" whimpered the judge.

"BECAUSE YOU CANNOT KNOW THE TRUTH THAT IS ABOUT TO BE SPOKEN," roared the Ork. "I HAVE BEEN HIRED TO KEEP IT A SECRET - FOREVER!!"

At this point, the Rogue Trader leaps into combat and duels the Ork with swords. For a moment, it seems he has the upper hand, and then is knocked to the ground with a violent blow.

And then Liceman, on cue, picks up the fallen Rogue Trader's sword, leaps into the fray, and dramatically fights off the Ork. The courtroom cheers! Liceman is a hero!

And then the Rogue Trader gets to his feet. "As I was saying before all this... how I know what really happened... how I knew who the murderer REALLY was... IS BECAUSE THE MURDERER WAS ME!!!!!"

And then the tech priest rides in on the back of a tentacle panther that spits acid from it's eyes, wearing a cheap suit and with both of his arms on fire. The Rogue Trader leaps onto the back of the panther, shoots out the gigantic chandelier he'd had installed in the court room for this express purpose, and rides out into the sunset to the cries of "SEIZE HIM!" They fled back to their Gun-Cutter and got off the planet post haste.

~

I love Rogue Trader. You do more in a single session than most campaigns do in their entire runs.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yes... yess finally :zombie:

Funktastic Dog
Nov 8, 2011

by Ralp
poo poo yeah, now I can finally get a Black Crusade game going.

Question is... how should I do missions. From what I know, its pretty much you vs imperium... how should I change that...

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Funktastic Dog posted:

poo poo yeah, now I can finally get a Black Crusade game going.

Question is... how should I do missions. From what I know, its pretty much you vs imperium... how should I change that...
There's very little content on infiltrating and subverting the Imperium, it's mostly centred around amassing a traitor warband in the bizarre worlds of the Screaming Vortex, the Eye of Terror Lite.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Which is sad, because the core book REALLY wants you to infiltrate.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FireSight posted:

Which is sad, because the core book REALLY wants you to infiltrate.

Firesight you can play the talky infiltrator, the tech infiltrator, the mercenary/black market dealer infiltrator or the 7 foot tall walking tank who reacts to 90% of circumstances as a murdering psychopath. Good luck on the infiltration mission.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
How are Night Lords at infiltration? That's supposed to be their thing. Or possibly the Alpha Legion's thing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

VanSandman posted:

How are Night Lords at infiltration? That's supposed to be their thing. Or possibly the Alpha Legion's thing.

How much time do you want to spend with your character sitting on the ship waiting to do something. All the time?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There are things you can do with them, as long as they don't have any of the many, many mutations that are a core part of the whole thing.

There are loads of planets that wont have seen Space Marines in millennia that you can "save from a dangerous foe", while "showing some lucky people the power of the true faith" and "testing their worth to be considered as a chapter world".

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

goatface posted:

There are things you can do with them, as long as they don't have any of the many, many mutations that are a core part of the whole thing.

There are loads of planets that wont have seen Space Marines in millennia that you can "save from a dangerous foe", while "showing some lucky people the power of the true faith" and "testing their worth to be considered as a chapter world".

I was exaggerating about the afk on the ship thing. My joke was that its often difficult to mix the marines in with an infiltration of an imperial society plot which is what the core book really seems to push and promote until they realised the game is way better at just being a power fantasy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yes yes yes, I loving loved my stint as a human Nurgle dude. I was practically indestructible, even more so than the traitor marines in my party. My guy wore sealed carapace armor constantly because he was more or less a zombie with From Beyond and Fear 2 or 3. When we got close to a facility we were infiltrating one time, I just rolled out of the helicopter we were in and fell the couple hundred yards into a firing position.