Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Vintimus Prime posted:

There is also the point he made of, well if I kill Buu now, I'm still dead and will be back in the spirit world in less than 24 hours, Vegeta is gone, Gohan is gone, so these kids like it or not would be the future hope of the world. Let the living defend the living world. For someone who is always craving a good fight, it's an interesting take. Something changed with him during those 7 years.

Besides, it's not like Goku is 100% certain he'd be able to beat Buu by himself. Even later on when he really tried, Goku needed Vegeta to buy the time to build up full power (which failed but that's meta-knowledge).

But fusion gives such a huge boost that it would certainly exceed even his SSJ3 power. I don't think Goku could have predict how goofy Gotenks would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

ChronoReverse posted:

Besides, it's not like Goku is 100% certain he'd be able to beat Buu by himself. Even later on when he really tried, Goku needed Vegeta to buy the time to build up full power (which failed but that's meta-knowledge).

But fusion gives such a huge boost that it would certainly exceed even his SSJ3 power. I don't think Goku could have predict how goofy Gotenks would be.

Well it was fat buu. Right before Goku starts fighting small buu he tells Vegeta he could have beaten the fat one but wanted the kids to step up. And then he saw Vegeta had already flown away and probably didn't hear a word he said. You're right though, since he had never actually done the technique he probably had no clue just how cocky and goofy Gotenks would end up being.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NAzoe2Mjyo

Speaking of other Jump series, is anyone else excited for this?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Sonata Mused posted:

Hell yeah I am.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Sonata Mused posted:

Sweet mother of pearl, that looks like a lot of fun.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Gonna be honest, it just reminds me of the last six years worth of DBZ and Naruto games, which I only played one or two of but were pretty not fun, but I might have to give it a shot just because it's as close to another Jump Super/Ultimate Stars as we'll get.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Toriko is the best shonen, because it's about eating lots of food. Something all shonen protagonists share but rarely focus on.

Sonata Mused posted:

I want to be excited, but I've seen a few gameplay videos and they look like rear end.

We're doomed to forever have dynasty warriors reskins as the only least-lovely source of anime games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sonata Mused posted:

This game looks boring as hell and the fact it is being developed by Spike Chunsoft adds more evidence to my theory.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, to be honest the game doesn't really look very good. I would've preferred another Jump Ultimate Stars, cause it was essentially Super Smash Bros with manga.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

But yeah, Funi's dubbing practices have changed a lot in a decade. Nowadays, giving a character an unnecessary accent is basically like saying your dub is poo poo. People like to say dubbing standards have improved since 2000, and I guess they have, but I still enjoy dubs from early 2000 or even the 90s. Stuff like Magic Knights Rayeath and what I've heard of Gundam Wing are all pretty nice. Plus some of the best dubs ever are from the start of the 00s, like FMA or Inuyasha.

I don't watch a great deal of anime so my knowledge is fairly limited, but I think my favourite dub is probably Slayers (especially once Crispin Freeman takes over as Zelgadis), which is about as '90s as they come.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So maybe I'm dense, but I feel like I'm missing something obvious. In the latest DBZ Abridged, 19 is talking to Toriyama the bird about his dinosaurs and what they do?

I mean I get that Dino's are in DBZ... but I don't get the joke part?

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So maybe I'm dense, but I feel like I'm missing something obvious. In the latest DBZ Abridged, 19 is talking to Toriyama the bird about his dinosaurs and what they do?

I mean I get that Dino's are in DBZ... but I don't get the joke part?

http://youtu.be/BZstUJQ2QLg?t=14m40s

"Go Toriyama, and teach a dinosaur to ride a ball"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

I don't watch a great deal of anime so my knowledge is fairly limited, but I think my favourite dub is probably Slayers (especially once Crispin Freeman takes over as Zelgadis), which is about as '90s as they come.

A lot of the Slayers VAs are from New York too so now you mention that I gotta say Pokemon was a good 90s dub. I only watched one thing of Slayers but I remember Ash Ketchum was the little girl with the hammer who was my favorite character.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cozz posted:

http://youtu.be/BZstUJQ2QLg?t=14m40s

"Go Toriyama, and teach a dinosaur to ride a ball"

That doesn't really answer his question, it just refers to the first iteration of the joke. The origin of the joke, as far as I can tell, lies in the Dragonball Z opening song "CHA -LA HEAD CHA-LA".

The song contains the lyrics, 溶けた北極1の中に 恐竜がいたら 玉乗り仕込みたいね, which translates more or less to "Within the melted polar ice, If there’s a dinosaur, I want to train it to balance on a ball!"

To be honest the lyrics of the opening song are straight up ridiculous. One of the defining moments for me as I began to learn Japanese was watching dragonball and realizing just what the gently caress I had been listening to for all those years.

As another fun fact, Head Cha-la is a weird engrish style pun on words. 平ちゃら or Hecchara can be Japanese slang for "Be cool" or "Its all good" which fits with the overall fun loving feel of the song.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Why is he outside what looks like the White House?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Squallege posted:

Why is he outside what looks like the White House?

Cell 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Democrats and Republicans would still vote for him over the opposite party's candidate. I mean, obviously Cell is a member of the Green Party.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Caros posted:

That doesn't really answer his question, it just refers to the first iteration of the joke. The origin of the joke, as far as I can tell, lies in the Dragonball Z opening song "CHA -LA HEAD CHA-LA".

The song contains the lyrics, 溶けた北極1の中に 恐竜がいたら 玉乗り仕込みたいね, which translates more or less to "Within the melted polar ice, If there’s a dinosaur, I want to train it to balance on a ball!"

To be honest the lyrics of the opening song are straight up ridiculous. One of the defining moments for me as I began to learn Japanese was watching dragonball and realizing just what the gently caress I had been listening to for all those years.

As another fun fact, Head Cha-la is a weird engrish style pun on words. 平ちゃら or Hecchara can be Japanese slang for "Be cool" or "Its all good" which fits with the overall fun loving feel of the song.

Thank you for this lesson. I never got the reference in Revenge of Cooler Abridged, because I just thought Goku was an idiot, and didn't realize it was another TFS running joke.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Democrats and Republicans would still vote for him over the opposite party's candidate. I mean, obviously Cell is a member of the Green Party.

There's probably a bad pun like "Celery Clinton" in there somewhere.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cozz posted:

Thank you for this lesson. I never got the reference in Revenge of Cooler Abridged, because I just thought Goku was an idiot, and didn't realize it was another TFS running joke.

Yeah, sorry btw. Just realized that I came off as a total dick at the start there. :(

Its a really, really obscure reference to be honest. Though I keep having this mental image of Icarus riding around on a beach ball and I can't tell if it is something I've seen or if I'm just imagining it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
http://kotaku.com/awesome-dad-anima...dium=Socialflow

"Robson Menezes dos Santos is definitely a "Father of the Year" candidate. He spent 6 months to create a Dragon Ball animation for his son's birthday, replacing Vegeta, Trunks and Gohan with himself and his 9-year-old son.

In the full clip—which is in Brazilian—he was also able to bring the original, Brazilian voice actors of Bulma and Goku round. They're basically saying "Happy Birthday" in portuguese to the kid in the first few minutes."

Watch the clip, it's great.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

WhiffleballDude posted:

Gonna be honest, it just reminds me of the last six years worth of DBZ and Naruto games, which I only played one or two of but were pretty not fun, but I might have to give it a shot just because it's as close to another Jump Super/Ultimate Stars as we'll get.

Momomo posted:

Yeah, to be honest the game doesn't really look very good. I would've preferred another Jump Ultimate Stars, cause it was essentially Super Smash Bros with manga.

Since I just got Gigant Battle 2 last week: if you really have a hankering, the One Piece DS games might as well be in the same series as Jump Stars, although they only use OP characters.

Unfortunately, there might only be one video game where you can play as Korosensei.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

First decree is the National Election will be replaced by the Cell games. Second, the Senate, House, and Congress members are replaced by Cell Jr.s. Third, kill Son Goku.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mister Roboto posted:

http://kotaku.com/awesome-dad-anima...dium=Socialflow

"Robson Menezes dos Santos is definitely a "Father of the Year" candidate. He spent 6 months to create a Dragon Ball animation for his son's birthday, replacing Vegeta, Trunks and Gohan with himself and his 9-year-old son.

In the full clip—which is in Brazilian—he was also able to bring the original, Brazilian voice actors of Bulma and Goku round. They're basically saying "Happy Birthday" in portuguese to the kid in the first few minutes."

Watch the clip, it's great.

He is literally the coolest loving dad ever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Testekill posted:

He is literally the coolest loving dad ever.

Pretty much the most :unsmith: thing I've seen all day. That dad owns.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, I don't care about sutpid dragon ball!
YOU WILL LOVE DBZ OR I WILL BEAT YOU!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Honest Thief posted:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, I don't care about sutpid dragon ball!
YOU WILL LOVE DBZ OR I WILL BEAT YOU!

Nice try, but every kid loves dragon ball

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Nice try, but every kid loves dragon ball

And if you want proof, just read this thread!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So are any of the DBZ movies actually, ya know, good?

I liked Movie 3 and 8 in a mindless sort of way but man, Movie 4 was just... It's the goddam King Piccolo Arc! And Goku goes Super Saiyan before Namek. And then he does a Kaioken x 100 which is actually a stronger powerup than Super Saiyan....

And perhaps it is because it's so terrible that Lord Slug Abridged is my favorite TFS movie.
Now that I've defeated King Piccolo, I can wish back Chaozu, Master Roshi and Krillin.

WHAT!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
History of Trunks is pretty great, if that counts. I also liked Bojack Unbound, which was the only one that really felt like a real movie and not just a feature length re hash.

Battle of the Gods is decent and has some great moments.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 11, 2014

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Dead Zone, Bojack Unbound, Fusion Reborn, and Battle of Gods are all great. World's Strongest, Tree of Might, and Wrath of the Dragon are all terrible. The first Broly is maybe the single dumbest thing to ever come from DBZ but I'm personally okay with that. The second one I have a soft spot for because Gohan gets a cool fight in the back half with him and adult Gohan's my favorite character. Lord Slug, Cooler's Revenge, and Super Android 13 are all kinda whatever. A lot of people here like Return of Cooler but I never did. History of Trunks, while technically not a movie, is fantastic. The Bardock stuff is almost on par with Broly for being supremely stupid.

We don't talk about The Eleventh Movie.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I hate the first Broly because the ending to the big fight is, after soundly getting his rear end kicked, Goku punching Broly REALLY HARD THIS TIME! and making him explode.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you watch Super 13, you need to watch it dubbed because Chuck Huber's attempt at an intense southern accent and just some of the goofy poo poo they have him say is hysterical. Otherwise it's forgettable aside from two funny things.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've only seen the first five. I sort of like them solely because they provided most of the footage for the original "Rock the Dragon" theme, which I thought was really cool when I was younger, and I spent ages wanting to see where all those scenes came from.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So are any of the DBZ movies actually, ya know, good?

Watch movie 5,6,9, and 12 that's basically the greatest hits.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Seconding Bojack being enjoyable mostly because I was supremely disappointed they never did a saga with teen Gohan as strongest fighter, so outside of the Cell Games it's the only time he goes SS2 (of course it's only for about five minutes but I'll take what I can get.)

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
History of Trunks, Bardock, Battle of the Gods, and Cooler are the best.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Wrath of the Dragon is the best because it's the only one that doesn't contradict anything. Well, that and possibly Bojack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Wrath of the Dragon is the best because it's the only one that doesn't contradict anything. Well, that and possibly Bojack.

Isn't SSJ3 Goku stronger than Ultimate Gohan in that one?

carry on then posted:

Seconding Bojack being enjoyable mostly because I was supremely disappointed they never did a saga with teen Gohan as strongest fighter, so outside of the Cell Games it's the only time he goes SS2 (of course it's only for about five minutes but I'll take what I can get.)

He might have been Super Saiyan 2 against Broly in Movie 10 and Dabura in the Buu Saga. The problem is that SSJ2 is such a lazy loving design that it's impossible to tell on older Gohan. You can tell with his Cell Games self because he has more hair to stick straight up but not so as an adult.

This is Goku but it proves the point well enough
SSJ1

SSJ2

SSJ1

SSJ2

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 12, 2014

• Locked thread