Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

So this (mildly NSFW) got posted on my feed. Is this a normal occurence for a GP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Are overweight people wearing ill-fitting clothing a regular occurrence at a magic: the gathering event? Is that the question you're asking on Something Awful dot com?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
That's pretty funny but the guy posing in all of the pictures doesn't look like he should be casting stones.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Death Bot posted:

I wonder how many people actually sold Didgeridoo for more than 50c
The hype still hasn't died down currently $6 or so. I'm sure lots of people have made money on them since there will be even more Minotaurs in JOU.

The card market is definitely in a big bubble right now. The player base has expanded by very roughly 25% every year for the past couple of years, probably in part due to really well liked blocks and DotP. I think a lot of these new players have seen other people make money or useful trades based on speculating and want to try their hand at it too. Now that SCG/TCG/CFB/etc have made it easier to sell cards to one another, this has naturally increased the amount of people that have money to burn on speculations.

I think the really interesting scenario is what does a bubble bursting in magic look like? Is there a way to make money off of it? :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The guy in the picture is the gooniest neckbeard ever, but that is still pretty funny.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

JerryLee posted:

That's pretty funny but the guy posing in all of the pictures doesn't look like he should be casting stones.

But his pants are up?

YOU SIR ARE A WEIGHTIST

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

JerryLee posted:

Speaking from the perspective of a large person, you can be a large person and conduct yourself with dignity in social situations. By "conduct yourself..." here I mean "wear pants that fit and wear a belt and don't let your buttcrack hang out all over the place."

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Probably the best part of this is that sweatshirt dude who posted these has his own rear end hanging out in the pic with the dude wearing the Anchorman shirt.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's like staring upon a church's baptism.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Ok someone needs to go use Kiora in a SCG tourney and top 8 with it so people will stop laughing at me offering her for trade. Funny because SCG has her listed at $25 but nobody wants her :mad:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

morning wood posted:

Ok someone needs to go use Kiora in a SCG tourney and top 8 with it so people will stop laughing at me offering her for trade. Funny because SCG has her listed at $25 but nobody wants her :mad:

I traded mine sunday at that value for some shocklands/scrylands so there are people that will trade for her, but yeah I've rarely seen anyone actually running her. R/G basically stole the spotlight from anything cool in standard right now.

Regarding scrylands, will those really be very desirable after rotation? I've taken up a policy of accepting any shocklands or scrylands in trades if people dont have anything else I want and I know shocks are a value-holder, not sure about scrys. Don't remember seeing too many in modern since they arent fetchable like shocklands.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'd imagine people would much rather be running fastlands or buddy lands depending on deck than something guaranteed to come in tapped if they needed more than fetches/shocks.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I traded mine sunday at that value for some shocklands/scrylands so there are people that will trade for her, but yeah I've rarely seen anyone actually running her. R/G basically stole the spotlight from anything cool in standard right now.

Regarding scrylands, will those really be very desirable after rotation? I've taken up a policy of accepting any shocklands or scrylands in trades if people dont have anything else I want and I know shocks are a value-holder, not sure about scrys. Don't remember seeing too many in modern since they arent fetchable like shocklands.

Why are shocklands fetchable and scrylands not?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

morning wood posted:

Why are shocklands fetchable and scrylands not?

Scrylands don't have basic land types.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Because shocklands have both the basic land types.

Fake edit: not sure if that was rhetorical or not but w/e, here we go

Real edit: Just as in the Trading and Selling thread, What a Judas beats me to the punch

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

What a Judas posted:

Scrylands don't have basic land types.

Got it thanks! Wasn't being a smartass, just fairly new to MTG.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The best is Helix Pinnacle, not even used in edh much as far as I know:

http://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/2504 700% price spike :lol:

A smart Omnath list loving shatters that card.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Do we know why the Shocklands randomly got typed and not any other duals (besides the originals)? Was it something mechanical in Original Ravnica block? I was basically paying a minimum of attention to the game at that point.

EDIT: Also what's that Ark42 replacement? The price visualizer broken down by set.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Boxman posted:

Do we know why the Shocklands randomly got typed and not any other duals (besides the originals)? Was it something mechanical in Original Ravnica block? I was basically paying a minimum of attention to the game at that point.

I believe it was a deliberate attempt to balance the Revised duals for modern (small m) play.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

A smart Omnath list loving shatters that card.

Think bigger.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Boxman posted:

EDIT: Also what's that Ark42 replacement? The price visualizer broken down by set.

Farseek was a thing in original Ravnica.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ScarletBrother posted:

Farseek was a thing in original Ravnica.

And then they reprinted it in M13.

And y'all got to relive those glory days.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

So what you're saying is fetches will be reprinted after Landfall appears in the core set?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I feel stuff like Helix Pinnacle is inevitable, and over time, unless something else changes this pricing climb, we'll see just about every EDH/Modern/Legacy/high casual playable that hasn't been reprinted a bunch get run on until the speculators are out of things to chase.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mr. Peepers posted:

So what you're saying is fetches will be reprinted after Landfall appears in the core set?

Lowball I'd buy two boxes of that set just because it seems like a better investment than 800 in fetches.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Korak posted:

The hype still hasn't died down currently $6 or so. I'm sure lots of people have made money on them since there will be even more Minotaurs in JOU.

The card market is definitely in a big bubble right now. The player base has expanded by very roughly 25% every year for the past couple of years, probably in part due to really well liked blocks and DotP. I think a lot of these new players have seen other people make money or useful trades based on speculating and want to try their hand at it too. Now that SCG/TCG/CFB/etc have made it easier to sell cards to one another, this has naturally increased the amount of people that have money to burn on speculations.

I think the really interesting scenario is what does a bubble bursting in magic look like? Is there a way to make money off of it? :v:

Technically, all card prices have been in a bubble since 1993 because they have no intrinsic value (yes I know they technically do have intrinsic value because they can be used to win money from tournaments but that is so small as to be negligible for this argument). Why is today's market any different or likely to burst? 'Because it's larger' isn't really an answer. It's not like the game has been bringing in people that only play for a little while, MaRo has maintained that MtG players play the game for an average of 9 years, which is a huge number in the games industry. People love playing and they love collecting, and that makes this bubble an extremely stable one as far as bubbles go.

I'd argue that TCGPlayer and similar sites actually act against artificial valuation by making the market faster to react to changes. Single card bubbles can naturally deflate because buyers and sellers are interacting with each other directly instead of classic intermediaries like SCG/CFB.

And I'd say there's not really any way to make money off the bubble bursting unless you expect the bubble to re-inflate, then you would just buy all the cards people are dumping at low low prices and wait for the upswing. This actually happened on MTGO fairly recently when they shut all the tournaments down while they pretended to fix their poo poo. If you were in a buying mood while everyone was dumping their e-cards you made quite a bit of tickets a few weeks later when tournaments starting coming back and the market mostly recovered.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 11, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Froghammer posted:

So this (mildly NSFW) got posted on my feed. Is this a normal occurence for a GP?

The guy got banned from future tournaments for this.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Already? Or are you thinking of a similar situation from a while back?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Boxman posted:

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/

Scrylands are probably going to mean less in the long run to Modern than checklands or fastlands because they stop a consistent turn one play, but I wouldn't doubt they will see some play. I can't think of a cycle of rare lands that don't get some use in modern.

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
Has anyone else tried the standard UG Flash list that's been floating around? I've been playing a slightly altered version, and it's a fun, cheap (if you skip the Mutavaults) tier 1.5 deck. The only problems I've had with it is while its good matchups are really good, the bad matchups are really bad. Also, running into a Voice is almost excruciating enough to put the deck down forever, haha.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Promoted Pawn posted:

And I'd say there's not really any way to make money off the bubble bursting unless you expect the bubble to re-inflate, then you would just buy all the cards people are dumping at low low prices and wait for the upswing.

Unless someone sets up a derivatives market for cardboard, in which case you could sell short and profit that way.

A futures market for cardboard would actually be kind of useful, you could do things like "get me these cards in time for the GP" while insulating both buyer and seller against price swings and the like.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

And just like that, SCG cracks more MMA product at one event than any other except GP:Vegas and all MMA boxes under $400 are gone.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

BJPaskoff posted:

Already? Or are you thinking of a similar situation from a while back?

Helene Bergeot knows about it so its probably coming soon. And that was Dr. 8sides or something like that wasn't it?

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

I'm a new magic player trying to build my first real deck and I have a question. Do abilities that add power stack? For example, if I have Spear of Heliod and crusade. Will the effects be cumulative? IE Will I get +2/+2 on all white creatures? What if I have two of the same card out? IE 2 Crusades. Do +1/+1 tokens stack as well? Do the tokens go away if whatever was creating them is destroyed?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Longshot007 posted:

I'm a new magic player trying to build my first real deck and I have a question. Do abilities that add power stack? For example, if I have Spear of Heliod and crusade. Will the effects be cumulative? IE Will I get +2/+2 on all white creatures? What if I have two of the same card out? IE 2 Crusades. Do +1/+1 tokens stack as well? Do the tokens go away if whatever was creating them is destroyed?

Don't think of Crusade style effects as generating +1/+1 counters, they just have a blanket ability that effects all creatures you control. Yes, multiples stack, and yes the ability goes away if the card generating it dies.

If you have an instant like Giant Growth that give a temporary boost, that stays until end of turn and doesn't die with the card generating it

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/

Scrylands are probably going to mean less in the long run to Modern than checklands or fastlands because they stop a consistent turn one play, but I wouldn't doubt they will see some play. I can't think of a cycle of rare lands that don't get some use in modern.

I'd horde the UR Scryland, personally.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

mcmagic posted:

Wait, what?

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Promoted Pawn posted:

Don't think of Crusade style effects as generating +1/+1 counters, they just have a blanket ability that effects all creatures you control. Yes, multiples stack, and yes the ability goes away if the card generating it dies.

If you have an instant like Giant Growth that give a temporary boost, that stays until end of turn and doesn't die with the card generating it

If a card does generate +1/+1 counters (For Example: Phalanx Leader), would those counters go away when the Phalanx Leader dies? Do Bestows count as an enchantment for the purposes of the phalanx leaders ability?

Edit: I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Longshot007 posted:

If a card does generate +1/+1 counters (For Example: Phalanx Leader), would those counters go away when the Phalanx Leader dies? Do Bestows count as an enchantment for the purposes of the phalanx leaders ability?

+1/+1 counters stick around no matter what adds them to a card, they'll remain on the card until a spell moves them (Bioshift) or if the card it's attached to leaves the battlefield for any reason (dying, exile, returning to the hand)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm not so sure that a tapland with minor upside is going to cut it in Modern. Scry 1 is certainly less of an upside than the manlands have.

• Locked thread