Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Indie guy works severed limbs in on the flimsiest pretexts. In fact, the driest cartoons are the Expres and the Mail, which says something about the purifying effect of macabre humour. Or something.

Yeah but the context is completely different when you're actually depicting murderous bloody regimes, or going for surrealism. A lot of the Times stuff reminds me of things teenage boys draw because gratuitous violence and torture is awesome. Maybe because that's always basically The Joke. (I just realised it's not the usual guy either, maybe it's a Times trend?)

I dunno, it just seems lazy and weird to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Betjeman posted:

Spring finally arrives? I'd say "start of March" is fairly early for this kind of weather. Last year it snowed into April.
It feels like "at last" because this has been a memorably terrible and dreary winter, though.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I really like this one.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Betjeman posted:

Spring finally arrives? I'd say "start of March" is fairly early for this kind of weather. Last year it snowed into April.

An absolute inability to remember, connect or compare two or more events or to have any temporal or spacial awareness on any level is key to the Express mindset.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Gordon Brown and Scottish independence – Former Labour PM calls for Scotland to have right to set tax and welfare policies"

Telegraph:

Labour in tax raid on pensions to help jobless

Independent:

Times:

Express:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The fact that English cartoonists seem to think Gordon Brown is more respected in Scotland than Alex Salmond speaks volumes to their complete and utter loving ignorance on the subject. loving hell.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Indie guy works severed limbs in on the flimsiest pretexts. In fact, the driest cartoons are the Expres and the Mail, which says something about the purifying effect of macabre humour. Or something.

You were saying? :v:

Not that I have a problem with politicians' heads on pikes, I just prefer it without the fascist nationalist overtones

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Coohoolin posted:

The fact that English cartoonists seem to think Gordon Brown is more respected in Scotland than Alex Salmond speaks volumes to their complete and utter loving ignorance on the subject. loving hell.

Just count yourself lucky they didn't put a kilt on him.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I love the bag being labeled "Swag". Top-notch use of a label in a political cartoon.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Not that I have a problem with politicians' heads on pikes, I just prefer it without the fascist nationalist overtones

You probably shouldn't read the Express then.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Puntification posted:

You probably shouldn't read the Express then.

That's just sound advice in general though

Nice of Ed Balls to leave his swag bag at the bank! Maybe he was making a deposit

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

baka kaba posted:

That's just sound advice in general though

Nice of Ed Balls to leave his swag bag at the bank! Maybe he was making a deposit
Well, it's the right colours for an HSBC. :haw:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

Not quite just a random "Jocks, hur" reference. 2013 was the first year since the 1930s without a reported sighting of Nessie.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
"Scotland is a foreign country and should be treated as such without ever letting it get independence" seems to be the consensus with the English commentators and some British tits born in Scotland.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

baka kaba posted:

You were saying? :v:

Clear evidence that the entirety of British cartooning reads the thread.
Also the Times draws a decent fat-cat. If only their editorial slant allowed them to do so more.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Isn't a sword laid over a shield KGB iconography?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Gonzo McFee posted:

some British tits born in Scotland.

So Brown isn't a true Scotsman?

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

ReV VAdAUL posted:

So Brown isn't a true Scotsman?

He wasn't depicted wearing a kilt, so from what I understand of British paper caricature, no.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Boris Johnson's reaction to the death of Bob Crow – Mayor of London says he had been shocked to learn of the death of 'a fighter and a man of character'" After Gustave Doré.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Yesterday's Mail:
"Having promised to get bin collections back on a weekly basis. Eric Pickles has backed down."

quote:

“I don’t understand all the fuss. I very rarely bin anything.”

Mail:

quote:

‘I’ll have the ham, lightly grilled, just a hint of Dijon mustard, two vine tomatoes, and by the way this orange juice is corked.’

Express:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

What exactly does mac think happens during school meals now?

Two references to Gustave Doré, but at least Bell put some effort in. Still not as good as the Thatcher one though.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Typically I am one to spit at whiners whining about imagined racism but that kid in the Mail cartoon, fuckin' hell might as well give him a waddymelon to go with those lips.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

This is pretty great.

Cliff Racer posted:

Typically I am one to spit at whiners whining about imagined racism but that kid in the Mail cartoon, fuckin' hell might as well give him a waddymelon to go with those lips.
It does kind of look like the only black person that cartoonist has ever seen was on a jar of jam in the 70s.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Prince Charles's 'black spider memos' – The court of appeal has rebuffed the attorney general's decision to veto the publication of Prince Charles's 'black spider memos'."

Telegraph:

Labour makes no sense on Europe, says David Cameron

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
"Ed Miliband seems to have ruled out a referendum on the EU if he gets into government."

quote:

”This letter to Miliband about a referendum. Do you want all the effing, blinding and beheading threats left in?”

Express:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

I really like this one.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah that one is one of the best ones so far.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

loving Prince Charles. Ughh!!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fluo posted:

loving Prince Charles. Ughh!!

This came off dirtier than you expected :stare:

What's arse backwards about not committing to a particular policy? I don't get the problem.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:

quote:

”This letter to Miliband about a referendum. Do you want all the effing, blinding and beheading threats left in?”

The Shiekh of Wales...

e: it's a bit arse-backwards to construct a policy with the sole intention of spinning it two different ways to two different markets.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

mfcrocker posted:

What's arse backwards about not committing to a particular policy? I don't get the problem.

He committed to a policy, no referendum on current EU involvement, in/out referendum if the EU wants to expand it's powers in the UK. Apparently this is too complex for conservatives to understand. Either that or they're trying to manufacture a talking point out of nothing.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mr. Squishy posted:

e: it's a bit arse-backwards to construct a policy with the sole intention of spinning it two different ways to two different markets.

I guess, although more likely

Strawman posted:

they're trying to manufacture a talking point out of nothing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It's telling how bad the tories are that people are willing to believe in the sincerity of New Labour.

Quincey
Feb 14, 2012
I didn't know Prince Charles wanted a referendum on the EU. At least I presume that's what Mac is implying.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's telling how bad the tories are that people are willing to believe in the sincerity of New Labour.

Ahahahaha no they're all scum

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Quincey posted:

I didn't know Prince Charles wanted a referendum on the EU. At least I presume that's what Mac is implying.
"Could the EU be improved by placing a single drop of wolfsbane into the North Sea? Y/N"

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Jeremy Hunt's decision to freeze health workers' pay – Jeremy Hunt, the health secretary, has incurred the wrath of 1.165 million NHS staff by halting their pay rise in order to save £200m"

Telegraph:

Squabbling Tories grow deaf to their own good news

Independent:

Work for peace, David Cameron tells Israel and Palestinians

Times:

Express:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Uhm, aren't dentists self-employed? My mate, and all of his colleagues I have met are, and also very, very well paid, and just get NHS payments towards treatment and the patient has to divvy up the rest, no matter their situation, and thats if the Dentist is even taking NHS patients.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

As far as I know my dentist (who is loving amazing :swoon:) is the practice's resident NHS dentist and all the others are private, and that she's basically employed by the NHS. That's the impression I've got anyway, from chatting it up. Treatment isn't free on the NHS, but it's still fixed pricing, and you don't have to pay if you meet some of the usual criteria (under 18, some students, on JSA etc.)

There's no way angry pinstripe man has gone anything but private, though

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Trickjaw posted:

Uhm, aren't dentists self-employed? My mate, and all of his colleagues I have met are, and also very, very well paid, and just get NHS payments towards treatment and the patient has to divvy up the rest, no matter their situation, and thats if the Dentist is even taking NHS patients.

I think technically they are all private even those that do NHS services; the NHS offers to pay them a fixed amount to take on a quota of however many patients, and as baka kaba posted if the patient is over 18 etc. it's only subsidised rather than NHS funded. I was told once by someone Bevan was too exhausted after forcing the doctors in line to do the same job with the dentists unfortunately.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

Oh I was going ughh at Prince Charles black spider memos because for years he has been sending them to whoever the prime minister is lobbying for things such as homeopathy.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...hy-8723145.html
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/feb/13/prince-charity-lobbied-government-homeopathy

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/dec/26/prince-charles-black-spider-veto

quote:

[...]The tribunal's decision comes amid continuing criticism that the prince has been interfering behind the scenes in the affairs of government and trying to persuade ministers to change official policies.

The prince is known to have strong views on subjects as diverse as architecture, farming and alternative medicine.

For seven years, the government has been fighting to prevent the disclosure of the letters – dubbed "black spider memos" because of the heir's handwriting.

Copies of the letters have been requested by the Guardian under freedom of information legislation.

The three judges ruled in favour of publishing the first set of letters in September after two years of deliberation.

They said: "The essential reason is that it will generally be in the overall public interest for there to be transparency as to how and when Prince Charles seeks to influence government."[...]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fluo posted:

Oh I was going ughh at Prince Charles black spider memos because for years he has been sending them to whoever the prime minister is lobbying for things such as homeopathy.

I know, I'm just being a dick :)

• Locked thread