Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Aha! That's the one useless stand, the one that forces you to make fabulous poses all the time. I call it, Beat It.

That's what you say. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Broseph Brostar posted:

Aha! That's the one useless stand, the one that forces you to make fabulous poses all the time. I call it, Beat It.

You force enemies to pose so forcefully that they can't NOT pose, thus rendering them immobile and an easy target.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

CodfishCartographer posted:

You force enemies to pose so forcefully that they can't NOT pose, thus rendering them immobile and an easy target.

In response our plucky protagonist develops a new form of martial arts that seamlessly moves from fabulous pose to fabulous pose, thus neutralizing the stand power.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Wasn't that Wham's ability? hosed them nazis up real good

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
A friend suggested "making GBS threads confetti" as a useless stand power. I'm having trouble figuring out how Araki could justify the usefulness of that one.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

A friend suggested "making GBS threads confetti" as a useless stand power. I'm having trouble figuring out how Araki could justify the usefulness of that one.

Mobility stand. Jet around at high speeds through controlled bursts. Fire blasts of shredded paper at your opponent in an attempt to disable them with papercuts.

Call it 「Color of the Wind」

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Perigryn posted:

I suddenly imagine an Iron Chef style contest at the Jump offices where they pit him, Oda and Togashi against each other to find the most creative uses for mundane sounding abilities.

That would necessitate Oda to be able to step away from his work place at all and for Togashi to... you know, give two shits what's going on outside his house.

I think that the usefulness of stands is directly related to how much the user starts to realize just how much he can get away with.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Stiffness_Manipulation

I don't know how the gently caress this could be a Stand at all, but you guys seem to be on a roll with this, so let's see how this could actually do something useful.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That'd be super easy to make a stand. You could fold up weapons and hide them in your clothes, you could make your enemy's weapons useless, you could cripple your enemies by folding them in half, ect.

Also that's basically the same as a power in One Piece anyway.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

RatHat posted:

How would he even know its power anyway? Is there a Stand who's power is to know what other Stands do?

If you reaaaaly need a rationale...

Diavolo can see a few seconds into the future to determine what he should do during time skips.

So it's possible that he went "what happens if I punch that guy" and there ya go.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't know how the gently caress this could be a Stand at all, but you guys seem to be on a roll with this, so let's see how this could actually do something useful.

That's Spice Girl.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

SunAndSpring posted:

One Piece recently introduced a power along these lines. Here's one application I found great:

It's the Flag Flag Fruit, which roughly translates to "turn things into paper and back".

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
That's kind of like the guy in Part Four who could fold people and things into pieces of paper too.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Not to mention you can turn normally soft things into super stiff. Render an enemy unable to move by stiffening his clothes to the same degree as steel. poo poo, depending on how to activate the power, you could just stiffen his heart to stop it immediately.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Hell, just make the guy incredibly stiff and then shatter him.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

just stiffen his heart to stop it immediately.

Hell, zuchero does something to that effect to someone in purple haze feedback.

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete
How about a stand that just kills you instantly when you use it called Last Resort.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Not out of the question, there was a stand that had you commit suicide to work.

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete

RatHat posted:

Not out of the question, there was a stand that had you commit suicide to work.

Notorious B.I.G., right? It still did something after death. With Last Resort you'd just die.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
No, it was at the start of Part 6. Guy had a stand that if he committed suicide, would kill a person in the same way.

EDIT: http://jojo.wikia.com/wiki/Highway_to_Hell

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Blackfish posted:

Notorious B.I.G., right? It still did something after death. With Last Resort you'd just die.

It's used by a spy, who can get into more dangerous situations with sensitive information because they know they can always kill themselves easily if they get captured.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

A stand that just turns you into a mobile wifi hotspot called In the Air Tonight.

No joke I would totally love that as a power.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Phantom of the Opera: A stand that eats fasteners, hangers and hinges, and can do nothing else.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like how everyone immediately forgets how Weather Report was a huge loving rear end in a top hat to random strangers, and directly assaulted several people over nothing, like 10 seconds after he starts fighting Pucci.

mr. stefan posted:

Phantom of the Opera: A stand that eats fasteners, hangers and hinges, and can do nothing else.

Something tells me if Josuke's wardrobe got messed up and wrinkly, he ain't going outside that day.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Can Of Worms posted:

One Piece recently introduced a power along these lines. Here's one application I found great:

It's the Flag Flag Fruit, which roughly translates to "turn things into paper and back".

The dudes stuff also retains it's properties. His cape is a metal block he used his power on. So when a guy hit his cape it was still as hard and durable as a metal block.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just recently caught up with Jojolion and now I'm kind of starved for more JoJos, is any of the side material worth reading? I dunno what's translated and what isn't.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just recently caught up with Jojolion and now I'm kind of starved for more JoJos, is any of the side material worth reading? I dunno what's translated and what isn't.

I would read the Rohan Kishibe stories, particularly the Village of Millionaires one.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Pomp posted:

I like how everyone immediately forgets how Weather Report was a huge loving rear end in a top hat to random strangers, and directly assaulted several people over nothing, like 10 seconds after he starts fighting Pucci.

Yeah it's kinda hilarious how much of a gigantic prick he became when he finally got his memory back. I mean, yeah he was angry, but god drat electrocuting random ladies he found and all kinds of poo poo, became a pretty big jerk haha

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah it's kinda hilarious how much of a gigantic prick he became when he finally got his memory back. I mean, yeah he was angry, but god drat electrocuting random ladies he found and all kinds of poo poo, became a pretty big jerk haha

Well, he just remembered that Pucci had his girlfriend raped and killed (he didn't know it was an accident or that she was his sister) and was nearby, trying to essentially destroy the world. I wouldn't expect someone to be in their right mind after having all of that suddenly rush into their mind.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It didn't help that he had one of the most powerful stands in the series.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I hear Purple Haze Feedback is pretty good.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Deadman's Questions is absolutely fantastic.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

mr. stefan posted:

Could be used to commit acts of terrorism vs. raised bridges, bust down doors for all kinds of reasons, and play havoc with your opponent's fashion.

Also, if you take a wide enough definition of "hinge," you could just straight-up delete people's knees and elbows.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also, if you take a wide enough definition of "hinge," you could just straight-up delete people's knees and elbows.

Taking stand powers to their logical extremes and then beyond is what JoJo is all about. Araki's at his best when he still works within the "constraints" of the stands he makes up, it's why I found the final confrontation in Part 3 so disappointing. It starts out with Jotaro having to try to outmaneuver a vastly superior opponent, then it ended with "by the way, I CAN STOP TIME WHILE YOU'RE STOPPING TIME". Also they learned how to fly for some reason?

Compare to say, Jolyne (spoilered in case Pomp hasn't reached this part yet) turning her torso into a Mobius strip to counter her torso being turned inside out. Honestly, I think having the shittiest stand In theory went a long way in making Jolyne my favourite Jojo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That's why I like the theory that The World's power is actually "able to copy stands belonging to the Joestar family," regardless of how little evidence there is for it otherwise.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's something somewhat symbolic with that theory. Dio lives off of Jonathan's family, gains vampire powers from an outside source that also belonged to Johnathan(as he had the Stone Mask for research), and then steals Jonathan's body.

If the stand powers were just ripping off the Joestars too, none of Dio's power or success was truly his own.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well I dunno the dude managed to somehow gain the ability to produce ice from his hands and somehow charm an entire army of ridiculous personalities to fight for him, I'd like to think as much as Dio is deified in later parts it 's because of him, not other people.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Dio was at his best in Part 6 when he was chilling on a bed with Pucci reading books. Anyone remember which chapter that happened in? It's seriously one of my favourite all-time JoJo panels.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

Taking stand powers to their logical extremes and then beyond is what JoJo is all about. Araki's at his best when he still works within the "constraints" of the stands he makes up, it's why I found the final confrontation in Part 3 so disappointing. It starts out with Jotaro having to try to outmaneuver a vastly superior opponent, then it ended with "by the way, I CAN STOP TIME WHILE YOU'RE STOPPING TIME". Also they learned how to fly for some reason?

Did Jotaro and Dio ever fly? I thought that was just a thing in the OVA. I know Dio could jump pretty damned high but vampires have crazy strength and poo poo so no surprise there.

The "suddenly I can stop time" thing with Star Platinum works a lot better when you realize that Jotaro was likely doing it during the fight against Daniel D'arby without the reader noticing. The insane speed and reflexes more or less result in "can stop time" as opposed to Polnareff's speed which is utilized as "can move so fast that he looks like he's in multiple places at once."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

That doesn't make sense when you think about how that affects the fight vs. Dio (e.g. he was only able to stop time for a second against him at first, while I'm sure finding a cigar and all that other stuff would take longer, especially since he wasn't able to stop every knife.)

I do think that D'Arby flipped the gently caress out because he thought Jotaro could stop time like Dio, though.

• Locked thread