Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

gatz posted:

Slow them down and change the pitch. Some old dos games have this weird thing where the audio files are sped up by 50%, but played back normally while in-game.

Right... have you tried treating them as 22050hz raw files intead of 44100hz? Because that should probably do exactly that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Just tried it, did exactly as you said. Are they actually 44100hz as audacity detects, or are they 22050hz? It might depend on the game, but I'm not sure.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Well they're raw, which means they don't have any metadata associated with them, and it's completely up to the playing program to interpret them.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

gatz posted:

Just tried it, did exactly as you said. Are they actually 44100hz as audacity detects, or are they 22050hz? It might depend on the game, but I'm not sure.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Well they're raw, which means they don't have any metadata associated with them, and it's completely up to the playing program to interpret them.

Yep. They're (almost definitely) 22050Hz - with raw PCM audio, this would've cut your file sizes in half from 44.1KHz, so you were basically correct there.

Audacity was probably just guessing, it got pretty close if it guessed everything else right. Then again, sample rate is probably much harder to guess, though.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Hey, I'm trying to use Shadowplay to record and it works fine with Unreal and Source engine games, and some obscure stuff like Gorky 17 (Odium in the U.S.). I was wondering if anyone knew what is required for ShadowPlay to be compatible with a particular game/engine? Specifically I'd like to know if I could create (or modify) some kind of Aero overlay or other utility that simulates a screen output that ShadowPlay recognizes as a 'compatible game' and would record the video output as such.
I'm planning on switching to OBS and/or Fraps for anything that's not compatible, but I really like the way Shadowplay works and the quality I get from it--with virtually no performance hits--has got me enraptured in the prospect of expanding its usability to simply recording my entire screen instead of a handful of game outputs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shadowplay requires Directx games running in fullscreen mode. At that point its kind of a crapshoot if the game isn't officially supported.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I don't think Audacity does any analysis on the audio file, it just has a set of defaults that are pretty standard (linear PCM, 8-bit, 44.1KhZ).

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Shadowplay requires Directx games running in fullscreen mode. At that point its kind of a crapshoot if the game isn't officially supported.

I figured, but I know people have come up with DirectX... emulation utilities? I dunno. I couldn't find anything in my searches for ShadowPlay stuff, I was hoping someone might know a thing or two about DirectX.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm not really sure what you'd expect a DirectX emulation tool to do. If the app uses another system like OpenGL or GDI, you can't really emulate DirectX.

Well, you theoretically could have an OpenGL-to-DirectX translator for apps that are written using OpenGL, like Wine but backwards, but really there's no good reason to do that. Traditionally, GPU drivers have had stronger DirectX support than OpenGL support, so you would encounter tons of performance and compatibility issues. It would be a monumental effort and nobody really would ever buy such a tool.

Basically, find another recording tool is your best option.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm not really sure what you'd expect a DirectX emulation tool to do. If the app uses another system like OpenGL or GDI, you can't really emulate DirectX.

Well, you theoretically could have an OpenGL-to-DirectX translator for apps that are written using OpenGL, like Wine but backwards, but really there's no good reason to do that. Traditionally, GPU drivers have had stronger DirectX support than OpenGL support, so you would encounter tons of performance and compatibility issues. It would be a monumental effort and nobody really would ever buy such a tool.

Basically, find another recording tool is your best option.

Alright, thanks! I'll try out OBS and Fraps then.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Personally, if you are going to go for paid software, I'd avoid FRAPS.

It is very feature-light and the codec isn't even lossless... just really large. I've had lossless codecs give similar sizes or smaller than FRAPS.

In terms of general compatibility and features, you might to try out Bandicam. They have a trial on their site.

Does DirectX/OpenGL window capture as well as screen area capture while works on games like Binding of Isaac.

Supports the use of installed codecs like UT or Lagarith and supports separate mic stream recording.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shadowplay also requires a specific fullscreen mode that excludes most emulators, which pretty much ruined the whole reason I bought a card that supported it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Artix posted:

So I have a 40 minute video that I decided to break up into two parts. I set up all my edits in AviSynth, tell it to only render the first few parts of it, feed it into MeGUI, and I get a nice, crisp 20 minute video. Great, exactly what I wanted. Now I go I to render the other half, so I comment out the line that had the stuff for the part 1 video and add in a line with the stuff for part 2. I have not changed anything else about the script aside from adding this line. Now, VirtualDub crashes every time I try to load the script. If I go back and try to load the entire video from the beginning it's perfectly fine, including the part of the video that I want in the second half. It just absolutely refuses to load anything that doesn't start from the beginning. The script in question:

You left out the part of the script that defined vid, but I can't imagine that matters.

If you can create a video that contains everything you want for your second part, why can't you just do that, then Trim and Fade that?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

It's a full/limited range decoding issue. Try this.

I feel really dumb, but I can't get this to work at all :saddowns:

By using info() on the avisource, I know that I have RGB32 colorspace originally, so I use the second option listed there.

code:
loadplugin("C:\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\FFMS2.dll")
FFIndex("C:\Fraps\Movies\AviSynthClip2.avi")
AudioDub("C:\Fraps\Movies\AviSynthClip2.avi", "C:\Fraps\Movies\AviSynthClip2.wav")
info()
But this has an invalid argument in Audiodub? I am bad@scripting :saddowns: I could really do with an example to follow here and neither of the LP tech wikis for fraps to avisynth mention anything to do with color space.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Xerxes17 posted:

I feel really dumb, but I can't get this to work at all :saddowns:

By using info() on the avisource, I know that I have RGB32 colorspace originally, so I use the second option listed there.

code:
AudioDub("C:\Fraps\Movies\AviSynthClip2.avi", "C:\Fraps\Movies\AviSynthClip2.wav")
info()
But this has an invalid argument in Audiodub? I am bad@scripting :saddowns: I could really do with an example to follow here and neither of the LP tech wikis for fraps to avisynth mention anything to do with color space.

You need to AviSource the video and WavSource the audio first.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Xerxes17 posted:

You didn't follow it right.

AudioDub(FFVideoSource("C:\Fraps\Movies\AviSynthClip2.avi"), FFAudioSource("C:\Fraps\Movies\AviSynthClip2.wav"))
info ()

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

MEAT! posted:

You didn't follow it right.

AudioDub(FFVideoSource("C:\Fraps\Movies\AviSynthClip2.avi"), FFAudioSource("C:\Fraps\Movies\AviSynthClip2.wav"))
info ()

Now the audio doesn't work, and the color space issue is back. But hey at least the script ran now. Progress! :haw: Thanks for the help so far guys.

So now I have to find a function that will set the uh.. output(?) video color space correctly in YV12?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Only because AviSource() told you that it's RGB32 doesn't mean that it actually is -- again, this is a codec decoding issue. Try the version on the site for YV12.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Only because AviSource() told you that it's RGB32 doesn't mean that it actually is -- again, this is a codec decoding issue. Try the version on the site for YV12.

code:
loadplugin("C:\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ColorMatrix.dll") 
ColorYUV(levels="PC->TV")
ColorMatrix(mode="rec.709->rec.601", clamp=0)
info ()
This gives me the correct video output, thank you! Now I just gotta fix why the .wav audio isn't playing...

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nidoking posted:

You left out the part of the script that defined vid, but I can't imagine that matters.

If you can create a video that contains everything you want for your second part, why can't you just do that, then Trim and Fade that?

That's what I ended up doing and I got it to work after a little tweaking, I was just asking if anyone knew what caused VirtualDub to poo poo itself so I could avoid it in the future.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I recently picked up an Elgato GameCapture and I'm looking to stream along with a Skype conversation. Is there a simple way to go about doing this?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TARDISman posted:

I recently picked up an Elgato GameCapture and I'm looking to stream along with a Skype conversation. Is there a simple way to go about doing this?

Use VAC and wire your microphone and system audio to a virtual line in cable.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Doesn't OBS/xsplit allow you to just grab the skype audio also?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Major_JF posted:

Doesn't OBS/xsplit allow you to just grab the skype audio also?

It works like this, thanks!

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Xerxes17 posted:

code:
loadplugin("C:\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ColorMatrix.dll") 
ColorYUV(levels="PC->TV")
ColorMatrix(mode="rec.709->rec.601", clamp=0)
info ()
This gives me the correct video output, thank you! Now I just gotta fix why the .wav audio isn't playing...

It looks like I can sidestep the audio issue, by adding in the audio track at the MeGui stage, however due to file sizes it seems that VirtualDub shits itself when trying to color adjsut an 85.6Gb file for the preview :v: So Just take a shorter clip, test the script on that and then take a Hail Mary on rendering the big file? Or should I be pre-processing that big file down into something more manageable?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So I just got the Elgado capture device but it's not working on my monitor. It tells me to link to the PS3 using the A/V in cable which probably doesn't make sense, since my monitor isn't a TV per se...

but I do it anyway, AV/In cable to A/V Multi Out on the back of the PS3 like it says. Then I use the HDMI cable out to go to my monitor's HDMI port and nothing is showing up, even when I tell the PS3 to do Component/D-Terminal like Elgado's instructions say.

I tried HDMI mode too and nothing. I tried just the HDMI in from Elgado to PS3 and HDMI out to monitor and nothing either. Also tried switching to 720p, At this point I don't know what else to do.

This is my monitor http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ATSFY-_-Satisfy

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 11, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Are you running Game Capture HD at the same time? One thing I always have to remind myself is to have the usb cable plugged in and set Game Capture HD to PS3 mode so it's not looking for HDMI input.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ChaosArgate posted:

Are you running Game Capture HD at the same time? One thing I always have to remind myself is to have the usb cable plugged in and set Game Capture HD to PS3 mode so it's not looking for HDMI input.

Do you mean the software itself? Nothing comes through either way, neither on the monitor nor on the software side (which I tried doing on my macbook)

edit: So I went into the GC HD software, it gives me "no signal" by default but when I change input to PS3 it will show a black screen but theoretically it's getting something I guess?

This is when I have an HDMI going from the PS3 to the HDMI In port on the Elgado, and the usb going from the Elgado to my macbook, otherwise it defaults to no signal without the HDMI In to PS3

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 11, 2014

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

This is when I have an HDMI going from the PS3 to the HDMI In port on the Elgado, and the usb going from the Elgado to my macbook, otherwise it defaults to no signal without the HDMI In to PS3

e: nvm

e2: No wait, you can't record hdmi from the ps3 due to hdcp protection. Use the a/v cable from the ps3 to the elgato.

e3: dammit

MEAT! fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 11, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Do you mean the software itself? Nothing comes through either way, neither on the monitor nor on the software side (which I tried doing on my macbook)

edit: So I went into the GC HD software, it gives me "no signal" by default but when I change input to PS3 it will show a black screen but theoretically it's getting something I guess?

Ok, having it set to PS3 is good. The problem though, is that the PS3 can't output HDMI to a capture device because it has HDCP protection so you need to have it outputting component.

Also it's Elgato, not Elgado. It's right there on the capture device.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
http://www.twitch.tv/nexttime000/b/509925177

I was using VAC for the first time to stream dark souls, and the entire time it did this weird poo poo that caused my pitch go up and down randomly. I don't know if it was my VAC settings or the lovely Hauppauge capture software that I am forced to use. Granted in-game audio was fine, just the "line 2" I was using did this; as evident when someone joined me in the mumble server for like a minute. I used the settings in the VAC tutorial in the OP, but I think I am missing something somewhere. other people in Mumble hear me fine, and I hear them fine, so it has to be something happening when I repeat the audio into line 2 or when the capture software picks it up.

also I noticed that even with all of these audio repeaters going off my mic audio on the stream was still a second or two ahead of the video :psyduck:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Ok, so Elgato works on OBS but I'm not getting any sound when I'm streaming, any thoughts?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

TARDISman posted:

Ok, so Elgato works on OBS but I'm not getting any sound when I'm streaming, any thoughts?

You have to go into the properties of your Elgato's source in OBS by right clicking on it and adjust it from there. Something to do with outputting the audio However, last time I tried broadcasting with OBS with the Elgato, the commentary audio was out of sync. You may be better off just using the program that comes with it since I saw others experience this issue when using OBS.

These were the settings I used, god willing they didn't reset when OBS updated since...

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

NextTime000 posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/nexttime000/b/509925177

I was using VAC for the first time to stream dark souls, and the entire time it did this weird poo poo that caused my pitch go up and down randomly. I don't know if it was my VAC settings or the lovely Hauppauge capture software that I am forced to use. Granted in-game audio was fine, just the "line 2" I was using did this; as evident when someone joined me in the mumble server for like a minute. I used the settings in the VAC tutorial in the OP, but I think I am missing something somewhere. other people in Mumble hear me fine, and I hear them fine, so it has to be something happening when I repeat the audio into line 2 or when the capture software picks it up.

also I noticed that even with all of these audio repeaters going off my mic audio on the stream was still a second or two ahead of the video :psyduck:

OBS has a setting that'll delay your microphone by 2 seconds if you need it. I've never heard of VAC changing the pitch of a line though. Buffer underflows that cause crackling and static, sure, but never a pitch change.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Avisynth has bested me again. I'm trying to do a couple dissolves and then a straight cut. I've got the dissolves working fine, but I don't know how to then just make a trim of the last bit of video. Do I have to define the two parts of the video as clips and alignedsplice them?

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Post your script.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms2.dll")
FFIndex("ALP.mp4")
a= FFAudiosource("ALP.mp4")
v= FFVideosource("ALP.mp4", fpsnum=30)
AudioDub(v, a)
Dissolve(Trim(3374,8558), Trim(9328,10642), Trim(11926,16118), 60)
Trim(17815,31205) #this is the part that screws it up
I want to cut straight from the end of the third trim in the dissolve line to the start of the trim in the last line. But doing it this way seems to just give me one frame of video.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Failure to understand the last variable. What you're doing at the moment is:

last = AudioDub(v, a) # places full video into last variable
last = Dissolve(last.Trim(3374,8558), last.Trim(9328,10642), last.Trim(11926,16118), 60) # replace contents of the last variable with three clips, dissolved into each other
last = last.Trim(17815,31205) # remove the first 17k frames of the remaining video after the dissolve

Fix is either:

AudioDub(v, a)
Dissolve(Trim(3374,8558), Trim(9328,10642), Trim(11926,16118), 60) ++ Trim(17815,31205)

or:

video = AudioDub(v, a)
a = Dissolve(video.Trim(3374,8558), video.Trim(9328,10642), video.Trim(11926,16118), 60)
b = video.Trim(17815,31205)
final = a ++ b
return final

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Read the OP, still have this question

I want to listen to game audio and voice chat simultaneously through my headphones, but record the audio streams separately. I want to do this without lag. What do I do? I'm willing to spend money. I've already tried Virtual Audio Cable but that poo poo lags.

Current hardware available-

Logitech G930 headset
Hauppauge HD PVR2 Gamer whatever
Avermedia Live Gamer HD internal
Motherboard has Realtek audio

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Well, that seemed to work, but now I'm getting a hang every time I try and save as .avi when it gets to the first dissolve. This was after I changed the script to

v= FFVideosource("ALP.mp4", fpsnum=30, seekmode=0)

to try and fix a "Insanity detected: decoder returned an empty frame" error (which also happened at the dissolves).

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 12, 2014