Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It helps that the economy owns out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JollyGreen posted:

Hahaha I wish :D ... I can't justify leaving my fiance/job/family/homestate though for a bit of weed. If I wasn't so broke I would've take a vacation to the Rocky Mountains by now, I've been meaning to travel more and the photos look great.

Just wait for Oregon's eventual legalization and you can get better weed and no sales tax.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

computer parts posted:

Just wait for Oregon's eventual legalization and you can get better weed and no sales tax.

There is a push in Oregon to add a sales tax. It's mostly coming from the Republicans, but some Democrats support it too.

Draup
Jun 19, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

I really hope he names his store "Green's Greens".

He got a producer license. In WA you can either grow/process or run a retail store, but not both.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Draup posted:

He got a producer license. In WA you can either grow/process or run a retail store, but not both.

What's the rational for this? That'd be easier to fudge the quota/tracking system if you have grow and retail in one operation?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

cafel posted:

What's the rational for this? That'd be easier to fudge the quota/tracking system if you have grow and retail in one operation?

Taxes since this is a mostly cash business. Grower sells to retail, both record a sale and pay taxes, retail sells to customer -x% for breakage then gets collected from retail sales. This makes it hard to hide untaxed sales.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Draup posted:

that's surprising, seeing as how Colorado is currently the exact opposite for the next year or so.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
So unfortunately, it looks like California won't be legalizing in 2014. The last measure left, the Marijuana, Control, Legalization and Revenue Act (MCLR), is low on funds and probably won't get the needed signatures by the 18 April deadline. Sorry, fellow Californians, but we're going to have to wait another two years to make de jure what is de facto

In the meantime, I might as well get my recreational smoking permit...err, I mean medical marijuana card.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

TenementFunster posted:

that's surprising, seeing as how Colorado is currently the exact opposite for the next year or so.

Based on the results and overall ease of doing business, I think Colorado will be the model rather than Washington. Their system just seems so much more efficient and well-run.

Of course, it helps that their medical industry was also much better regulated than Washington's, but all of the restrictions the latter faces just seem kind of silly because of how successful Colorado has been.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Why the hell would California try to legalize in yet another non-presidential election year? I wouldn't sign that petition either. The referendum would just show yet again that there is no mandate among midterm election voters, and would contribute to voter fatigue, hurting results in the year when it actually has a chance.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Jeffrey posted:

Why the hell would California try to legalize in yet another non-presidential election year? I wouldn't sign that petition either. The referendum would just show yet again that there is no mandate among midterm election voters, and would contribute to voter fatigue, hurting results in the year when it actually has a chance.

Thinking rationally, I sort of agree with you. There's one side of me that says "BUT I REALLY WANT LEGAL WEED BEFORE I GRADUATE LIFE loving SUCKS", but the other realizes that, yeah, waiting until 2016 makes more sense.

Though I'm not sure if we'd see a repeat of 2010. If Alaska can legalize weed in 2014, I don't think it'd be shot down again in California, at least not more than very narrowly. It's truly shocking how much attitudes towards marijuana have changed in less than five years; I think Colorado's successful example pushed over a lot of people on the fence.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I think a bill would do better than 2014, but I wouldn't risk it. There isn't THAT much to gain with both decrim and medical already in place(practically speaking that is, obviously the message it sends is awesome). My biggest worry is actually the medical industry actively campaigning against the bill like they did in 2010. I haven't actually read the text of the proposed bill, so maybe they addressed some of the dumb "gotchas" publicized at the end of the 2010 campaign. I think a bill will pass easily in 2016 and I think slow and steady wins this one. I left the state already though, so I am less personally motivated, I definitely feel your pain.

Then again maybe republicans will win in 2016 and stamp down the boot anyway.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

In practice, the medical marijuana industry is a de facto retail industry if you're willing to bullshit a few symptoms. It makes any legalization effort problematic since it disrupts their business.

Colorado-style legalization might work, since existing medical stores will be able to convert to recreational rather easily.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

AYC posted:

In practice, the medical marijuana industry is a de facto retail industry if you're willing to bullshit a few symptoms. It makes any legalization effort problematic since it disrupts their business.

Colorado-style legalization might work, since existing medical stores will be able to convert to recreational rather easily.

Well yeah I think the storefronts are fine with it as long as they get a piece, and the doctors aren't going to be on the streets campaigning against the bill. The supply counties(Mendocino, Humboldt, and Trinity), in which a large portion of their GDP is based on marijuana, all voted against it though. It makes sense since they stand to lose the most from prices falling, whereas storefronts can at least sell accessories and markup various strains. I think overwhelming that may well require all the young people to actually vote. (I was the only person under 50 I saw at the polls when I went in 2010, it was pretty sad.)

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2014/03/07/first-marijuana-tax-figures-expected-monday/6187149/

First tax sales for marijuana in Colorado will be reported tomorrow, for the month of January.

I'm guessing it's going to be somewhere in the range of "$$$$$$$" to "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
my boy nannerpus pointed this out in the Denver LAN thread. a big "lol" for all the amateur hour idiots and fake "medicinal" bullshit

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25304954/marijuana-edibles-standards-needed-thc-content-labels

quote:

Tests show THC content in marijuana edibles is inconsistent
With no standard for testing, buyers can't trust items' potency.
By Ricardo Baca
The Denver Post

As one of the largest producers of marijuana-infused edibles in Colorado, Dr. J's Hash Infusion makes chocolates, caramels and candies. But many of the company's products contain only a minute fraction of the THC promised on Dr. J's labels, according to independent tests organized by The Denver Post.

One Dr. J's milk chocolate Star Barz labeled for 100 milligrams of THC had 0.37 milligrams of the valued psychoactive component, according to three tests conducted by Steep Hill Halent of Colorado, a state-licensed marijuana testing facility. Another popular Dr. J's chocolate bar, the 100-milligram Winter Mint flavor, tested similarly in two experiments, showing 0.28 milligrams of THC.

making potency testing voluntary was the dumbest move the MED has pulled. god I hate the "medical" marijuana industry. if this had happened to an actual medical company, they would be sued out of existence. instead, they simply pissed off a bunch of people who were just hoping to get high.

however, I am having a good time trying to imagine what kind of article would been run if the weed candy bars were 100x more potent than labeled.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

There's only so much you can do when the product you're selling is federally illegal.

When marijuana is legalized at the national level, the FDA will be able to ensure the same high quality standards they do for other products. Until then, we have to make do with what we have.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

AYC posted:

There's only so much you can do when the product you're selling is federally illegal.

When marijuana is legalized at the national level, the FDA will be able to ensure the same high quality standards they do for other products. Until then, we have to make do with what we have.

I can't think of any reason that it can't be handled at the state level by the MED. I'm not a lawyer, though.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Reading the article, it looks like this is an issue only affecting the Dr. J brand. I'm not sure if Dixie Elixirs and similar companies have higher quality products, but either way the MED will probably crack down on them if they aren't. Though as I said, without the FDA all of this is much more difficult.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

AYC posted:

absolutely wrong. there is plenty that can be done, such as actually having batches tested at one of the labs that has been set up for this purpose in the state, or having the state mandate batch testing and provide services to do so.

there is no excuse for any company labeling any product as having "100mg" of anything and missing that mark by two orders of magnitude. the fact that it is a product as contentious as legal marijuana is just amateur hour. growers, sellers, and manufacturers need to be on their best behavior - not undermining the public perception of the safety and purity of their products. if they can't guaranteed that the most important ingredient is in the product, they are loving incompetent and should be shut down immediately. this is intolerable. blaming the feds is ridiculous.

AYC posted:

Reading the article, it looks like this is an issue only affecting the Dr. J brand.
again, wrong. only two of the tested items were even close:

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 9, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm pretty sure if the feds can get you for tax fraud of an illegal item they can get you for false advertising as well.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

computer parts posted:

I'm pretty sure if the feds can get you for tax fraud of an illegal item they can get you for false advertising as well.
but it's a SUPPLEMENT! all the weed we sell is homeopathic!

now, can i interest you in our fine selection of hash tinctures?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

AYC posted:

Marijuana being illegal has actually made us really good at detecting and measuring THC levels, FYI

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I'm not a big user but when weed became legal here in CO I went and got some edibles. The girl at the store recommended Dr. J's and I grabbed the biscotti and cookies. Neither of them did poo poo. It was supposed to be 8 "doses" per package and I ended up eating probably 6 of those doses and didn't feel a thing. At least there is proof I'm not crazy now.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
That "explanation" in the article from the company that made those edibles is loving laughable. "Oh, we didn't realize that our hash particles might settle to the bottom of a mixture." So apparently hiring someone with any semblance of experience in a laboratory environment just didn't occur to them? Jesus.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

That "explanation" in the article from the company that made those edibles is loving laughable. "Oh, we didn't realize that our hash particles might settle to the bottom of a mixture." So apparently hiring someone with any semblance of experience in a laboratory environment just didn't occur to them? Jesus.

potheads man. Or more likely they're doing the equivalent of selling people vaped weed or oregano to kids in middle school because people don't know any better.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Elotana posted:

Marijuana being illegal has actually made us really good at detecting and measuring THC levels, FYI

http://www.unodc.org/documents/scientific/ST-NAR-40-Ebook.pdf

Yup.
(See page 25 onwards.)

There is a whole section on an HPLC technique that accurately determines amounts of THC. HPLC is such a widespread, almost universal test for analysis that you really dont have an excuse to not do it.

It's also incredibly cheap for a business. You'd be looking at 100-350 dollars depending on the test.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

And there are testing facilities such as CannLabs that are marketing their services specifically to the newly-legalized industry. This is more of the case of lovely or shady business practices getting uncovered and shaken up. Within a year things will settle out.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

So the result of their excuse would basically be 99 buyers don't feel jack poo poo, 1 buyer spent 3 days straight convinced that Obama himself was outside his door with an arrest warrant and only the smell of delicious enchuritos was keeping him at bay.

How do they think that would make them look better? In the case that the tiniest bit of your batch is getting all the THC no one buying gets anything like what they paid for. Not that I really believe it, they just thought they could get away with putting basically nothing in there because they pretty much exist outside regulation.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Some changes in the Caribbean:

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v7/wn/newsworld.php?id=1017796

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/02/24/jamaica-pushes-forward-decriminalizing-marijuana-end-year/

Jamaica is decriminalizing marijuana by the end of the year and the Bahamas is considering medical marijuana.

Given how prevalent weed usage is among tourists and the populace in general, this is hardly surprising. Wouldn't be surprised to see fully legal weed in 10 years or so in a few Caribbean countries.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Some dispensary owner in L.A. told me that the difference between Hubby's candy and Venice Cookie Co.'s candy was that VCC's was "infused" and that made them more potent. :shrug:

In any case, glad to see that Bhang bars are among the Colorado edibles; they have a pure-indica bar that's great for helping people sleep, according to a friend of mine who's undergoing chemo.

eta: Are any of the Colo. shops offering Auntie Delores' edibles? The pretzels and caramel corn are wonderful, and the brownie bites are pretty good, too.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
I keep hearing from my friends that the government in WA is pushing towards eliminating medical, in favor of I-502 stores. Is there any truth to this, or is it just stoner :tinfoil:?

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TenementFunster posted:

there is no excuse for any company labeling any product as having "100mg" of anything and missing that mark by two orders of magnitude. the fact that it is a product as contentious as legal marijuana is just amateur hour. growers, sellers, and manufacturers need to be on their best behavior - not undermining the public perception of the safety and purity of their products. if they can't guaranteed that the most important ingredient is in the product, they are loving incompetent and should be shut down immediately. this is intolerable. blaming the feds is ridiculous.

This is seriously just shameful, if you're selling something as medicine then you better be running QA tests on each batch of product. I'm not involved with the legal marijuana industry in any way but just from reading about the subject I get the impression that the whole industry could use a much heavier dose of science when it comes to all-around operations. Perhaps the New Age and other funny stuff that comes with the subcultural territory is a negative influence on the industry from that perspective?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

quote:

@Clayton_Sandell: New: State of Colorado took in > $2.1 million in retail #marijuana taxes/fees in January, 1st month of retail sales. http://twitter.com/Clayton_Sandell/status/443135170359468032/photo/1

Not bad.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Zeno-25 posted:

This is seriously just shameful, if you're selling something as medicine then you better be running QA tests on each batch of product. I'm not involved with the legal marijuana industry in any way but just from reading about the subject I get the impression that the whole industry could use a much heavier dose of science when it comes to all-around operations. Perhaps the New Age and other funny stuff that comes with the subcultural territory is a negative influence on the industry from that perspective?
the hippie influence is pretty heavy throughout the industry. however, I keep seeing more suits and ties (and skirts) in line outside of the recreational dispensaries around the area.

hopefully increased scientific scrutiny and more "regular type dudes and dudettes" customers will improve the industry.

mandatory potency testing is an absolute must however. a few more of these "Dr. J's" cases and the Colorado MED will be forced to mandate it.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

staticman posted:

I keep hearing from my friends that the government in WA is pushing towards eliminating medical, in favor of I-502 stores. Is there any truth to this, or is it just stoner :tinfoil:?

No it's true. Mark Kleiman (the consultant for The Liquor Control Board) is openly hostile towards "medical marijuana" and their so called "patients".

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

KingEup posted:

No it's true. Mark Kleiman (the consultant for The Liquor Control Board) is openly hostile towards "medical marijuana" and their so called "patients".

Any so-called patients won't be looking for recommendations once they can go to a store and go home. Legalization legitimizes medical for those who are seeking it as medication.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
California Democrats just added legalization to their platform:

http://rt.com/usa/california-democrats-support-marijuana-legalization-950/

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

KingEup posted:

Good.

Necc0 posted:

California Democrats just added legalization to their platform:

http://rt.com/usa/california-democrats-support-marijuana-legalization-950/

Also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TheManWithNoName posted:

I'm not a big user but when weed became legal here in CO I went and got some edibles. The girl at the store recommended Dr. J's and I grabbed the biscotti and cookies. Neither of them did poo poo. It was supposed to be 8 "doses" per package and I ended up eating probably 6 of those doses and didn't feel a thing. At least there is proof I'm not crazy now.

Yeah, this is why I've counseled people to avoid edibles. When properly manufactured/dosed, they are perfectly excellent delivery vectors (and superior to vaporization/combustion), but there are typically no control mechanisms in place to assure quality. Generally, getting a "flat" edible is due to production inconsistency, hence the benefit of a competitive or at least non-captive market.

• Locked thread