Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

voltron posted:

What year is your car? What state are you in?

1997 mfg date, 1998 model year; Texas

I haven't checked, but now that I'm 30, my rate may have fallen again. My insurance expired at the end of the year so I just parked the drat thing and I've been riding my bike instead. Between parking downtown and insurance, I'm saving about $200/mo + gas at the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
So, the center console and cup holders look horrible in my E46, car is 330ci Auto, found this replacement on eBay from a manual, 330 convert'. Are these parts universal? Any fitment issues?

Here's the link: http://goo.gl/nf63e3

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Hadlock posted:

1997 mfg date, 1998 model year; Texas

I haven't checked, but now that I'm 30, my rate may have fallen again. My insurance expired at the end of the year so I just parked the drat thing and I've been riding my bike instead. Between parking downtown and insurance, I'm saving about $200/mo + gas at the moment

If you drive without insurance and you aren't a millionaire you are a loving moron, hope this helps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well, he said he parked it and is riding his bike.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
man I don't even care, his logic totally sucks, insurance isn't just about replacing your car when you get into an accident it's about making sure you don't wreck someone else's life if you happen to hit them! If he's paying $800 to $1000 a year for liability insurance (and lol if you have full coverage on a 15+ year old bmw), that means your record probably sucks pretty badly to begin with so maybe insurance isn't such a bad idea.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What's the point of paying insurance on a car you never drive? I'm sure if he starts driving it again he'll just call up an insurance company and get insurance.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

mulligan posted:

So, the center console and cup holders look horrible in my E46, car is 330ci Auto, found this replacement on eBay from a manual, 330 convert'. Are these parts universal? Any fitment issues?

Here's the link: http://goo.gl/nf63e3

The rubber paint coating stuff is already failing on that one too. Just Plasti-Dip your existing console (maybe replace cupholders with "eurotray"). You could also use self etching primer and the SEM matte black trim paint, that stuff is oem-worthy. You'd have to prep the new parts either way (taking off the rubbery crap).

Argila
Oct 23, 2008
Next weekend I am going to go car shop. I am essentially set on getting a 328xi and have four different ones picked out to test drive. I've read a bit about the hydraulic lifter clicking on 2008ish n52s. To n52 owners, is there anything else I should be looking at? Any negotiation points, say if the cooling system hasn't been done? Help me sound educated (even though I am not) and save money dear goons.

For reference this is an average of the ones I am looking at.
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/forsale#listing=79207430

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Anyone mod E36 M3 sedan/coupe seats to get more headroom? I've got spare seats for butt foam, and I'm considering carving foam out for a few inches of helmet clearance.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ziploc posted:

Anyone mod E36 M3 sedan/coupe seats to get more headroom? I've got spare seats for butt foam, and I'm considering carving foam out for a few inches of helmet clearance.

That sounds significantly less awesome than a gurney bubble.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Keyser S0ze posted:

The rubber paint coating stuff is already failing on that one too. Just Plasti-Dip your existing console (maybe replace cupholders with "eurotray"). You could also use self etching primer and the SEM matte black trim paint, that stuff is oem-worthy. You'd have to prep the new parts either way (taking off the rubbery crap).

Got it, thanks!

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...

Argila posted:

Next weekend I am going to go car shop. I am essentially set on getting a 328xi and have four different ones picked out to test drive. I've read a bit about the hydraulic lifter clicking on 2008ish n52s. To n52 owners, is there anything else I should be looking at? Any negotiation points, say if the cooling system hasn't been done? Help me sound educated (even though I am not) and save money dear goons.

For reference this is an average of the ones I am looking at.
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/forsale#listing=79207430

I find that it is a pain to get people to come to terms with the cooling system needing to be replaced. Unless they're a car enthusiast, they don't know about it, and in that case they probably don't care about maintenance and upkeep so they'll just shrug it off and demand their price. Any one have any success in this regard?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

I find that it is a pain to get people to come to terms with the cooling system needing to be replaced. Unless they're a car enthusiast, they don't know about it, and in that case they probably don't care about maintenance and upkeep so they'll just shrug it off and demand their price. Any one have any success in this regard?

I never get much off, but this along with other things I point out have gotten me and my friends a couple hundred off. If it's a dealer they're going to tell you to eat crow, but most people selling private party have room to negotiate built in to their price. You really need to be confident and come across as close to a BMW mechanic who works on these every day as you can muster.

It helps to actually show up with cash in your hand and to be able to show it to them. Most people react differently when they see real cash money walking away. Past that, be prepared to walk and then call again in a few weeks if it hasn't sold.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Spring is here, it's time to get out the fun car.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I wish I was anywhere near the point of getting my car out.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I guess tax return season is a terrible time to be car shopping.

crutt fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 10, 2014

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Spring is here, it's time to get out the fun car.

Oh man, sell me that! I love the red on black.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

voltron posted:

Oh man, sell me that! I love the red on black.

Bring money.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Anyone got any experience with tuning the N54 engine?

Finally getting my 335i back on the road this week, albeit with new injectors...spent the entire weekend fighting with getting my laptop to dual boot XP so I could program them, without paying the dealer $200 for 3 minutes of labour to punch the numbers in.

I picked up a used Cobb Accessport - just wondering if anyone knows what to expect as far as extra power goes. People's reviews seem to be all over the map, ranging from : "I barely noticed a difference" to "80 extra horsepower at the wheels!"

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

TeamIce posted:

Finally getting my 335i back on the road this week, albeit with new injectors...spent the entire weekend fighting with getting my laptop to dual boot XP so I could program them, without paying the dealer $200 for 3 minutes of labour to punch the numbers in.

I picked up a used Cobb Accessport - just wondering if anyone knows what to expect as far as extra power goes. People's reviews seem to be all over the map, ranging from : "I barely noticed a difference" to "80 extra horsepower at the wheels!"

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58 isn't completely terrible if you stick to the specific subforums. The one I linked is just for N54, they at least have it broken out by engine type. Overall, the E90post DIY section is decently comprehensive.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This is it, finally installing the coil overs I bought back in December on the e36. This is my first time messing with any suspension parts, what can expect time wise for a complete Ground Control install? Also I need to install new wheel well lining on the driver side if anyone has tips for that.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000

Lightbulb Out posted:

Bring money.

I'm serious. I posted about how my E36 was totaled a couple pages back. I'm still hunting. I found a E30 with S52 swap in Atlanta that looked clean. But the I drove an E46 M3 and pressed the Sport Button and my life changed. I've been getting ballsy too, on the way back from checking out a low-mileage E46 M3 yesterday, I spotted a guy washing his E39 M5 and I stopped to chat him up a bit. He said it was his restoration project, so I didn't tell him I was interested in buying.

If you're interested in selling, tell me about the car and where you're located and what you'd want for it.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

voltron posted:

I'm serious. I posted about how my E36 was totaled a couple pages back. I'm still hunting. I found a E30 with S52 swap in Atlanta that looked clean. But the I drove an E46 M3 and pressed the Sport Button and my life changed. I've been getting ballsy too, on the way back from checking out a low-mileage E46 M3 yesterday, I spotted a guy washing his E39 M5 and I stopped to chat him up a bit. He said it was his restoration project, so I didn't tell him I was interested in buying.

If you're interested in selling, tell me about the car and where you're located and what you'd want for it.

I'd be more interested in buying your S52. This particular car is very sentimental to me and I'm not interested in selling unless someone is REALLY interested in buying it for me for far more than it's worth. It's not what I'd want for it, it's how much you'd offer me for it ;)

voltron
Nov 26, 2000

Lightbulb Out posted:

I'd be more interested in buying your S52. This particular car is very sentimental to me and I'm not interested in selling unless someone is REALLY interested in buying it for me for far more than it's worth. It's not what I'd want for it, it's how much you'd offer me for it ;)

Fair enough. I don't have an S52 anymore. It's still sentimental to me even as it's getting chopped up for parts.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I'd lose my poo poo if anything happened to this car. My E30 318 I would be crushed over as well, because its really hard to find another 4 door small rwd vehicle with an LSD.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Ugh, I got all excited when I saw a well priced ZHP vert in my neighborhood but it's an automatic.

Edit: Actually, what do you think this is worth?

2003 330CI Sport Package, Premium Package, Performance package,Winter Package and Roll over protection
New Top
Tan leather interior with heated seats in good condition
Harman Kardon Stereo/CD
Xenon head lights
Paint and car in Excellent condition
Tires in great condition
89000 miles
Clean Title

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

Ugh, I got all excited when I saw a well priced ZHP vert in my neighborhood but it's an automatic.

2003 330CI Sport Package, Premium Package, Performance package,Winter Package and Roll over protection
New Top
Harman Kardon Stereo/CD
Xenon head lights
Tires in great condition
89000 miles
Clean Title

At most $8k.

doogle
May 24, 2003

TeamIce posted:

Tune only with 93 octane will net you about 40-50 to the wheels. If you get downpipes, an intake and an intercooler you can get a total of about 80-100whp. If you run a 30% e85 mix you can hit another 20-30whp on top of that. Once you get in to the low 400whp range your options are basically just turbo upgrades. I have a 135 with tune/intake/exhaust/downpipes/methanol injection/intercooler and I dynoed at 430 wheel with 93 octane on a mustang dyno. Upgraded turbos are about $3k for hybrid td03/td04s which will bring you up to about 500 wheel with supporting mods. The single turbo kits are ~$5-10k and can get you up to 700+ wheel.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

blk posted:

New Top
Harman Kardon Stereo/CD
Xenon head lights
Tires in great condition
89000 miles
Clean Title

I'd say it is worth closer $10k. Being a ZHP, if it had a manual it'd be worth more.

Regardless of if you think it's a good deal or not, if you want a manual I'd wait for a manual.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I wasn't actually shopping for a ZHP in particular, but I am looking at ragtops - I figured I could put up with the automatic if this was a flipping opportunity, but based on what you guys say, the margin seems too narrow.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Don't forget to add the price of replacing the auto trans when it inevitably shits itself.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

I wasn't actually shopping for a ZHP in particular, but I am looking at ragtops - I figured I could put up with the automatic if this was a flipping opportunity, but based on what you guys say, the margin seems too narrow.

Automatic/convertibles are all over the place, no one wants them. That's not a car you would want to flip. It's biggest draw is being a ZHP which an enthusiast might pay more for. But that same enthusiast won't want a convertible.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Auto ZHPs are about as desirable as SMG M3 verts.

Z-Axis
Nov 22, 2004

Funzo posted:

I'm starting to think I'm going to have to replace my battery this year, since I've drained it flat twice now trying to start it in cold weather. So far, hooking it up to a charger has done the job, but I'm worried it's just going to stop working altogether one of these days.
Since I've got an E90, I was under the impression I couldn't just pop in a new battery and call it a day right? I have to go get the computer reset or something like that? is that something I can do myself with the right tool, or am I going to have to take it to a dealer so they can hook up Cerebro to do something. I have to assume an aftermarket battery+tool is still going to be cheaper then whatever a dealer is going to charge me to replace a battery.

I looked into this recently, but didn't actually end up needing a new battery. Turns out it's hard to start a car with -20F daytime high temps. I read posts from people who swap the battery themselves and just have the dealership register the battery for like $30. You could call a dealership and see what they would charge.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Auto ZHPs are about as desirable as SMG M3 verts.

I'm always baffled at the fact that so many sports cars are sold with automatics. Who the hell is buying an automatic M235i or Miata or Corvette? Why buy a fun car if you don't like driving cars? Yet somewhere around half, of not more, of those cars are automatics. Bizarre.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ColdPie posted:

I'm always baffled at the fact that so many sports cars are sold with automatics. Who the hell is buying an automatic M235i or Miata or Corvette? Why buy a fun car if you don't like driving cars? Yet somewhere around half, of not more, of those cars are automatics. Bizarre.

Not everybody is attacking every apex of every corner on every city street on their way to work.

Sometimes they just want mindless fun that also gets them through rush hour.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I thoroughly enjoy my auto ZHP thank you very much.

Its decently fast, handles great, looks great, sounds great. Also, I am relaxed on my ~30 minute bumper-to-bumper traffic commute every morning/evening.

I will be putting on ~300 miles on Thursday and Friday as I put-put around Los Angeles for work and I would in no way want a manual for LA. gently caress that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chinatown posted:

I thoroughly enjoy my auto ZHP thank you very much.

Its decently fast, handles great, looks great, sounds great. Also, I am relaxed on my ~30 minute bumper-to-bumper traffic commute every morning/evening.

IMPURE! IMPURE! IMPURE!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
It's like some people view driving a manual like its a chore or something difficult, instead of something you can do with zero thought/effort purely on muscle memory after a few days of practice.

I don't get it either. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's like some people view driving a manual like its a chore or something difficult, instead of something you can do with zero thought/effort purely on muscle memory after a few days of practice.

I don't get it either. :iiam:

I had a Honda S2000 as a daily driver in Los Angeles traffic and even though that gearbox was amazing driving a stick in that kind of traffic up to two hours or more each way was completely awful. For fun driving it was incredible, and even other normal drives were a joy but for hours of that kind of traffic no thank you.