Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ashsaber posted:

Any tips that goons would like to share with a newbie? Other than wait on the distress beacon, I've seen that in action.

My suggestion would be to go to a forest planet and chop down every single tree on it with a stone axe. Don't use the matter manipulator because its slow as hell. You can make coal from unrefined wood by putting it in the furnace. 10 pieces of wood is 1 coal. This sounds like a lot of wood, but each tree is at least one coal, and the taller trees can translate into multiple pieces. On the way open any chests you come across and mine any surface ore. Then once you've got a lot of coal, go to a desert planet and dig around. You'll find lots of pockets of fine sand on desert planets. Fine sand breaks almost immediately, and causes a cavein with all the other nearby fine sand. This pops out any ore that might have been in the sand, resulting in a lot of ore really quickly.

Also when travelling - pick systems with a lot of planets. If you have to travel outside of the system, its 200 fuel no matter what. If you are travelling to a moon or a planet within the same system the fuel cost is reduced drastically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
And if you make a world your homeworld, remember its coordinates when you start a new character. The universe is shared between characters, so when you get 200 fuel you can go back to your other characters homeworlds and use all their stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lobsterpillar posted:

And if you make a world your homeworld, remember its coordinates when you start a new character. The universe is shared between characters, so when you get 200 fuel you can go back to your other characters homeworlds and use all their stuff.

Wait, really? Does this post mean that I can go to my first character's base as my second character if the first character's save is still around? Usually what I do to transfer stuff between characters is set up a server and connect to myself with a second game window but if I read you right that's just :psyboom:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Ashsaber posted:

Any tips that goons would like to share with a newbie? Other than wait on the distress beacon, I've seen that in action.
If you're good at dodging stuff you can take the ufo apart with an iron bow.

CJacobs posted:

Wait, really? Does this post mean that I can go to my first character's base as my second character if the first character's save is still around? Usually what I do to transfer stuff between characters is set up a server and connect to myself with a second game window but if I read you right that's just :psyboom:
The universe saves are distinct from the character saves. So once you've built a base, you can visit it with any of your characters and take stuff. I believe it'll still work if you deleted all your characters - any new ones would be able to find their old bases.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pilchenstein posted:

The universe saves are distinct from the character saves. So once you've built a base, you can visit it with any of your characters and take stuff. I believe it'll still work if you deleted all your characters - any new ones would be able to find their old bases.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I feel like this game would be a lot more fun if they severely reduced the fuel requirements or did away with them entirely. When I play the game my process is usually something like

1)fart around on a planet
2)decide I should go to another planet
3)remember that I'd have to farm a ton of fuel to do so
4)get discouraged
5)quit

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Why is this not an official emoticon yet?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

CitrusFrog posted:

Why is this not an official emoticon yet?

Because it's way over the limits for what an emoticon can be.

Somebody would have bought it the moment it was first posted otherwise.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like this game would be a lot more fun if they severely reduced the fuel requirements or did away with them entirely. When I play the game my process is usually something like

1)fart around on a planet
2)decide I should go to another planet
3)remember that I'd have to farm a ton of fuel to do so
4)get discouraged
5)quit

Are you literally doing NOTHING the entire time you're "farting around on a planet" ? You can get enough fuel to take you across the universe in 5-10 minutes on any planet. 30 minutes and you'll have max fuel. I guess the problem here is you actually have to PLAY the game to progress, if you don't want to do that then mod it so that you can burn your starter flashlight to give you 1000 fuel and go nuts warping from planet to planet doing...nothing?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kly posted:

Are you literally doing NOTHING the entire time you're "farting around on a planet" ? You can get enough fuel to take you across the universe in 5-10 minutes on any planet. 30 minutes and you'll have max fuel. I guess the problem here is you actually have to PLAY the game to progress, if you don't want to do that then mod it so that you can burn your starter flashlight to give you 1000 fuel and go nuts warping from planet to planet doing...nothing?

Hey, as a guy who went all the way through Sector X, and took the time to kill the Dragon in Melee combat I can say that even if you "take the time" you can end up with not a whole ton of coal, especially if you want to do things like smelt steel. If he had other planets in the same solar system then yeah yell at him, but there have also been plenty of times this has come up (and some of my own starts) where your starting planet is the only planet in the solar system.

Or is, for example, running an entire orbit through a jungle planet's (admittedly a smallish one) tar layer with a diamond drill and pickaxe finding less than a total of 100 coal not playing? Precious metals out the rear end but what is this coal you speak of. I got more coal over a shorter span of time Tree Farming (But I have persistent farmables Mod so, you know, trees will actually GROW if I do anything but wait with them slightly off screen. Because Tree pods don't hatch when they are on screen either).

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get hosed. See also, several hundered Iron on my first planet before I found enough Copper to make a copper pickaxe. Get persistent Farmables, make a tree farm if you can find seeds for trees that drop wood. Cram wood into as many stone furnaces as possible. 1k raw Wood is 100 coal.

EDIT: vvv Because overall it is a surprisingly good game for such an Early Beta, with only signs of improving (well okay, I'm still a bit paranoid about the whole GUILD ENDGAME CONTENT! situation vs solo play). On top of "Well I had it easy, so you must be doing something wrong" mindset that is common in a lot of games that involve the RNG... Or anything really.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 11, 2014

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kly posted:

I guess I'd rather do something that's actually fun as opposed to systematically deforesting a planet or coal mining. I mean seriously, those two activities or more or less synonymous with misery.

I'm playing this game to go on fun space adventures and build cool structures, not to more fully understand the suffering of the proletariat. From my perspective the fuel gauge does nothing but eat up time and make the game less fun. I guess it would make sense if the game was an MMO with an economy, or a survival sim or something, but it isn't.

I went mining for about an hour earlier and came out with 50 coal. So two hours to jump to another system. Woo!

Why are people so incredibly defensive about this game anyway?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Collecting fuel is a pain in the rear end but only early in the game. There are some tricks that will help you though.
Fly to planets with Forest or Jungle. 10 Wood gives 1 Coal and a planet usually has around 1000 Wood worth of trees.
Fly to a Desert or Arid planet, find an actual desert, dig down. You just have to hold "attack" and all the ore that's in the sand will fly into your pocket.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pilchenstein posted:

And thankfully it's not a totally foreign concept, Terraria has world and player saves as separate from each other too, so if you've played that, it shouldn't be hard to get used to.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Why are people so incredibly defensive about this game anyway?

I dont mean to sound defensive. Its just there are so many solutions to your problem that require so little effort its suprising to see some one so stumped by it that they just quit.

edit; its not that i even disagree with you, needing less fuel to jump would be nice but the fuel reqs didnt bother me enough to quit

Kly fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 11, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah defensive or not "I just want to fly around and explore and gently caress around, lala lee lah!" Is usually a good sign that "game is not for you."

However the neat thing about Starbound is how moddable it is. Go nuts, it is encouraged. Or find some tips on how to not be so slow at fuel gathering.

Three totally viable options for ya.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Feenix posted:

Yeah defensive or not "I just want to fly around and explore and gently caress around, lala lee lah!" Is usually a good sign that "game is not for you."

However the neat thing about Starbound is how moddable it is. Go nuts, it is encouraged. Or find some tips on how to not be so slow at fuel gathering.

Three totally viable options for ya.

This is a stupid loving post, exploring and loving around is pretty much the MO for this game.

If you dont like fuel costs, it's like a single line to change to have them be 0 or whatever though.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I still haven't left the first planet I'm on. I was digging deep earlier today, and after getting the defective gear or whatever it's called, I walked in one direction until I found an avian temple. It was weird as hell (the gravity changed?) but I cleared it out. How do I unlock higher tiers of wraps and armor to craft?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
You need to kill bosses to advance tiers.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Skyl3lazer posted:

This is a stupid loving post, exploring and loving around is pretty much the MO for this game.

If you dont like fuel costs, it's like a single line to change to have them be 0 or whatever though.

Its not a stupid post. You're a stupid post. I said if you don't like the confines of the game, in MOST cases, that means the game is not for you, but in this game, luckily modding is an option.

Pssshhh... stupid post... please.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Feenix posted:

I just want to fly around and explore, lala lee lah, and I've got 75 hours game time already.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Yeah i can see why people would like getting into the creative aspect of the game or whatever it is you guys like about it but I mostly just want to fly around and explore and that is where most of my enjoyment of this kind of game comes from.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Kingtheninja posted:

I still haven't left the first planet I'm on. I was digging deep earlier today, and after getting the defective gear or whatever it's called, I walked in one direction until I found an avian temple. It was weird as hell (the gravity changed?) but I cleared it out. How do I unlock higher tiers of wraps and armor to craft?

Yeah, some (most?) dungeons/structures have localised gravity, because some depend upon gravity to work properly (like the apex jump maze filled with poison pools, platforms and tesla coil walls)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I wish there were ways innately to actively mass-harvest resources though. I want that retarded-assed mega machine from Fern Gully in Starbound, just rolling across the surface devouring everything, spewing smog into the air and blatantly ruining the planet you unleash it on, but harvesting literally everything and leaving just barren dirt, unable to foster any growth afterwards. The singing smog dude can be DLC.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Joke mod ideas. What would go into a Mod where it adds a UI feature that causes a red bulb to light up every time you are "Playing Starbound Wrong" with no indication of WHY. You know, outside of making it randomly turn off and on, or pick from a selection of ridiculous options each time you load your game. Such as the Zoolander option (you turned left, that's not right :downs:).

EDIT: ^^^ A Tim Curry invasion mod is a much better idea though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Is there a mod that combines these differently colored dirts and whatnot into a single stack for each material type?

Cuz goddamn this is ridiculous.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Jackard posted:

Is there a mod that combines these differently colored dirts and whatnot into a single stack for each material type?

Cuz goddamn this is ridiculous.

Convert them to packed dirt.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

boo_radley posted:

Oh my god this is genius

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

boo_radley posted:

Disadvantage of this: you can't grow stuff on it.

fakebaconandeggs
Feb 18, 2011

CREDO!
Well, contacting that guy for the gunther mod didn't really work out. :colbert: But, I didn't want people to miss out. I got a little tired of Chuckletidus and He-Man, which are great if you haven't tried them out yet.

I released my own, in case you all are interested. I will also be taking requests for more intros since I'm quite happy to make the art for it.

Preview it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1ItuM_t_kk

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

fakebaconandeggs posted:

Well, contacting that guy for the gunther mod didn't really work out. :colbert: But, I didn't want people to miss out. I got a little tired of Chuckletidus and He-Man, which are great if you haven't tried them out yet.

quote:

I intially made this for another mod, but the owner said I was trying to scam him and didn't want it.

What? Why would he even think that? :psyduck:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Because the Minecraft modding community broke people.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Holy crap you guys, the outposts look great

fakebaconandeggs
Feb 18, 2011

CREDO!
Those look awesome, I can't wait to see them in person. Just when I thought the game had reached its peak of coolness.

CJacobs posted:

I don't even know, I thought I was doing him a favor of adding the extra files and metadata info. But, I guess that means you're trying to scam people. Even if the whole point of mods is downloading files from others.

Either way, it works out for everybody since it's inspired me to work on some more splash screens. Which is a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
maybe he thought you were going to demand to be credited, thus stealing part of his deserved internet popularity?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Has anyone figured out how to bind a key (like the hated Q for example) to cycle through techs yet?

I want a key for dropping a torch where the player is, too.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Splizwarf posted:

Has anyone figured out how to bind a key (like the hated Q for example) to cycle through techs yet?

I want a key for dropping a torch where the player is, too.
Switching through techs by use of a key isn't in yet. Not sure if it will be in, depends how they want to do techs in the grand scheme of things. I also know that the current techs won't be it. They'd probably add some passive techs that are always active, some more "fun" ones, and not just adding in the new mechs and vehicles.

I doubt dropping a torch where the player is will ever be in. Gotta do it the old fashioned way by having it in your hotbar and switching to it to place it then returning to the old slot.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Right, I meant with mods. Although now that I am thinking about it, I wonder if AutoHotKey could handle the tech-cycling with a super-fast open and close of the inventory screen with direct screen clicks in between.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I think I may be ready to use the distress beacon. I've got a full set of iron armour, some sort of fleshy sword that shoots three puffs of red gas, and ssome sort of club that shoots whirlwinds.

Is there any sort of preperations to do for it? what comes afterwards? I only ask here because my computer flips the gently caress out when I try to use the wiki.

Oh, and any tips for finding Plat/Diamond? I've got a gold pick but only ~6bars of plat so far, and kind of want to upgrade it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Ashsaber posted:

I think I may be ready to use the distress beacon. I've got a full set of iron armour, some sort of fleshy sword that shoots three puffs of red gas, and ssome sort of club that shoots whirlwinds.

Is there any sort of preperations to do for it? what comes afterwards? I only ask here because my computer flips the gently caress out when I try to use the wiki.

Oh, and any tips for finding Plat/Diamond? I've got a gold pick but only ~6bars of plat so far, and kind of want to upgrade it.

Find a place with a reasonable amount of cliffs. The UFO is easy to hit with ranged weapons, but since your main damage-dealer is typically melee, you want to be jumping up and leaping into it. Touching it doesn't hurt you, but look out for the beams and the penguin troops it spawns, they can sometimes blindside you.

Make sure you have a lot of bandages on you, like a good stack of 20 or so, and keep an eye on your health. The UFO isn't as tough as you might think, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful.

Also despite being a UFO it's still vulnerable to poison, so if either of your weapons deal poison, that will help.

Platinum and diamond are more common at deeper levels on your starting planet, but become less rare as you progress to the higher ranked systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Alternatively, have the ufo clip into the ground and get stuck and then throw bombs at it. That made for a pretty anticlimactic boss fight.

• Locked thread