Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

m2pt5 posted:

Wait a minute, biofuel generators can burn sludge? Since when?

Since I had my harvester on top of the generator because I didn't have lead for the conductors yet, and went to peek in to see if I needed to toss more saplings into the bioreactor next to it and saw it was burning sludge instead O.o

I'm not complaining though, it's nice that the sludge can do more than just sit there being wasted while I get enough seeds farmed up to make the sludge boiler not eat up all my power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

axelsoar posted:

Is there a pack out there for 1.6.4 that has TE3, AE, unified ores and nothing like rotary that adds 50 loving ores and is the spergiest thing on the loving planet?

My PvP pack sounds like it fits the bill, but with increased ore gen rates which you may or may not want. Although if you're running your own world you might want to bump up the certus quartz ore gen rates like I did on the public server because gently caress mining for a billion hours just to make a simple AE system.

Details at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615481

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Playing NST and something keeps making my screen kind of go dim and purple periodically and it's really irritating, anyone have any ideas?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Vanmani posted:

My PvP pack sounds like it fits the bill, but with increased ore gen rates which you may or may not want. Although if you're running your own world you might want to bump up the certus quartz ore gen rates like I did on the public server because gently caress mining for a billion hours just to make a simple AE system.

Details at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615481

Haha, you posted this just after I found your pack from the PGS thread, I like it quite a bit, I will probably fix quartz the way I did in my AotBT world, by adding a lapis-to-quartz recipe via CS2.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
What's a good "everything and the kitchen sink" pack? I'm not running a server, so performance isn't incredibly important.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Carados posted:

What's a good "everything and the kitchen sink" pack? I'm not running a server, so performance isn't incredibly important.
Wylker's LP pack fits the bill pretty well, I actually had to take a mod or two out it was so jam-packed. Also very all-purpose, so conversely, feel free to jam all kinds of additional mods in. I added Ars Magica 2 myself, plus Growcraft and Statues.

Seriously, Wylker, thanks for a great pack, and going out of your way to even provide my dumb rear end with support when I couldn't get some things working.

thevortex-
Apr 12, 2013
much thanks to leninparty and his Railfix mod, the Pixelmon DRM/blacklist/backdoor issue has been resolved, I have managed to get Railfix adapted and remove the nasty checks in the pixelmon mod, if anyone is interested, the code is @ https://github.com/thevortex/PixelFix

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Vib Rib posted:

Wylker's LP pack fits the bill pretty well, I actually had to take a mod or two out it was so jam-packed. Also very all-purpose, so conversely, feel free to jam all kinds of additional mods in. I added Ars Magica 2 myself, plus Growcraft and Statues.

Seriously, Wylker, thanks for a great pack, and going out of your way to even provide my dumb rear end with support when I couldn't get some things working.

Yeah, Ars Magica is a very important part of this "everything in the pack" pack. I wonder if I can stuff Millenare in there as well.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Carados posted:

Yeah, Ars Magica is a very important part of this "everything in the pack" pack. I wonder if I can stuff Millenare in there as well.

My pack I made (its only up to like 100-ish purely magic or fantasy mods) has millenaires working right along side ars magica at this moment. I watched as the Japanese community I found dirted up an ars magica pool :negative:

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

axelsoar posted:

Haha, you posted this just after I found your pack from the PGS thread, I like it quite a bit, I will probably fix quartz the way I did in my AotBT world, by adding a lapis-to-quartz recipe via CS2.

When I upload the next version of the pack it'll have the improved certus quartz ore gen rates config included, so everyone can enjoy the wonders of easy quartz. I figure it's important for a PvP pack that people can easily store large amounts of items on a single drive then have it stolen from them all at once.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

Carados posted:

I've never had luck with Ars for MP servers, Millenare works fine with my pack :)

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

So I took the thread's advice and started messing around with Tinkers Construct and this mod is absolutely fantastic. Having a lot of fun throwing random crap into the smeltery to see if I can melt it and pouring ingots and stuff. I also had a fascination with Big Reactors so I decided to build the tiny one from the wiki because it's pretty cheap and I appear to have more energy than I need for a long, long time. Stuck the four yellow ingots into it and the reactor filled with power after using something like 16% of one of the ingots! I have something like 50 or 60 ingots kicking around so I'm pretty set for power at a base level, I suppose.

Now I have a 3x3 wooden box house with a smeltery and nuclear reactor in the garden. I suppose I should look into trying to automate mining now because gently caress mining - am I best trying to work my way to the Digiminer asap? I got distracted for hours last night playing with Chisel and Carpenter's Blocks and it would be nice if some machine was digging up ore for me at the same time.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Wilekat posted:

So I took the thread's advice and started messing around with Tinkers Construct and this mod is absolutely fantastic. Having a lot of fun throwing random crap into the smeltery to see if I can melt it and pouring ingots and stuff. I also had a fascination with Big Reactors so I decided to build the tiny one from the wiki because it's pretty cheap and I appear to have more energy than I need for a long, long time. Stuck the four yellow ingots into it and the reactor filled with power after using something like 16% of one of the ingots! I have something like 50 or 60 ingots kicking around so I'm pretty set for power at a base level, I suppose.

Now I have a 3x3 wooden box house with a smeltery and nuclear reactor in the garden. I suppose I should look into trying to automate mining now because gently caress mining - am I best trying to work my way to the Digiminer asap? I got distracted for hours last night playing with Chisel and Carpenter's Blocks and it would be nice if some machine was digging up ore for me at the same time.
With a tesseract, a few energy/efficiency upgrades, and a decent generator (5 energy upgrades and I can run my digiminer off windmills) you will basically never, ever worry about ore again. You can literally type in whatever ore you want and about a minute later you've got stacks and stacks of it. For best results use silk touch when mining item-based ores (like diamond/redstone/quartz) and use a fortune pick on it manually when it brings it up.
It's kind of overpowered but once you have the materials to make a digiminer you're set forever.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just did my first big reactor last night too, and feel pretty stupid for not putting those materials to work before. I'll have to make sure I set that up on Thursday. I did 4 rods in a 7x7 box, and I have to keep the control rods 60% down since I route everything through redstone energy cells, and the reactor was exceeding their charge rate. I guess I should start arranging them in parallel.

Edit: Are there any ComputerCraft scripts I should generally look out to get for Thursday? I'm thinking if we are having problems getting diamonds, but we have enough for a diamond pick, I could make use of a horizontal mining script. Then I guess there's the Big Reactor scripts. I often use a computer to tick the smeltery if I'm making lots of blocks; it's just a lot easier for me to give it long pulses with a short off time.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 11, 2014

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Where's the download link for Effector Fields?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

An easy, cheap, and simple self-regulation system on the reactor uses three redstone ports, two pistons, and a block of redstone. Set one of the ports to "activate when under 30% power" and the other to "activate when over 70% power." Then set it up so that when you go under 30% power, a piston activates and pushes the redstone block in front of the third port, which is obviously set to "when you get a redstone signal, turn on." When it goes over 70% power, it activates the other piston to shove the block back.

It can't do any of the really cool stuff that the reactor control programs I've seen can do, but it's trivial to set up and only uses vanilla objects, so there's no worry about needing something from a mod you don't have. And if all you want is something that keeps your base full, doesn't constantly flicker between on and off, and doesn't need you to run and check on it constantly to make sure you aren't wasting fuel by running a full reactor, it'll do the job just fine.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

MechaCrash posted:

An easy, cheap, and simple self-regulation system on the reactor uses three redstone ports, two pistons, and a block of redstone. Set one of the ports to "activate when under 30% power" and the other to "activate when over 70% power." Then set it up so that when you go under 30% power, a piston activates and pushes the redstone block in front of the third port, which is obviously set to "when you get a redstone signal, turn on." When it goes over 70% power, it activates the other piston to shove the block back.

It can't do any of the really cool stuff that the reactor control programs I've seen can do, but it's trivial to set up and only uses vanilla objects, so there's no worry about needing something from a mod you don't have. And if all you want is something that keeps your base full, doesn't constantly flicker between on and off, and doesn't need you to run and check on it constantly to make sure you aren't wasting fuel by running a full reactor, it'll do the job just fine.

I'd been using the script posted here, but it really appears to just turn the reactor on <5% and off >85%. While it keeps me powered, I thought it might be nice if it adjusted the control rods to slow down/speed up the power generated - but it doesn't appear to make many rod adjustments at all. It sounds very similar (in behavior at least) to your simple setup.

Also, does anyone else have problems building the Tinker Table from modular powersuits in NST Diet? I seem to be able to build nearly everything from the mod but that. It doesn't show an NEI recipe when I click on it, and any of the recipes from the web don't do anything. I'm not sure how I messed that up.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I came across this ComputerCraft script for managing a big reactor, and it seems like something I want to use on mine, but I don't really understand how ComputerCraft peripherals and such actually work. Like, if I were to want to use a wireless modem to connect to the monitor, do I have to change anything? Does it matter which monitor in the group I attach the modem to?

I'm planning on putting the reactor in the basement of my factory building, but want to be able to check the status from the main floor.

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago
Squeezed Big Reactors, Mechanism, AE and CustomStuff2 into B-Team, wondering if there is much else missing from it or if its worth me lobbing that up on the platform.

Edit: hmm ComputerCraft probably needs to go in for reactor control

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

GhostSeven posted:

Squeezed Big Reactors, Mechanism, AE and CustomStuff2 into B-Team, wondering if there is much else missing from it or if its worth me lobbing that up on the platform.

Edit: hmm ComputerCraft probably needs to go in for reactor control

I added Ars Magicka 2. It works nicely (after fixing the ID conflicts).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's pretty easy to set up automatic throttling on a big reactor. Just get the energy stored and convert it to a percentage (integer 0-100), and set the control rod insertion to that amount.

Before the recent update this produced near-infinite power from the fuel at low draw, but it should still be efficient even after that fix.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Vanmani posted:

I figured out that I needed to be messing around in WorldCustomGen.txt not CoFH-World-Generation.txt. Works a treat now.

Teach me your magic. I've been trying to get this working for an hour and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Fenrisulfr posted:

Teach me your magic. I've been trying to get this working for an hour and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

I'm at work so I can't grab the config file straight up, but if I recall you have to put in a tab delimited line something like this (replace the block ID with your certus quartz ore block ID as appropriate) - this should give you a fair lot of quartz:
code:
UNIFORM	certus	QUARTZBLOCKIDHERE	0	15	15	0	128	true
So as you understand what those numbers mean:
code:
GenType	Name	BlockID	BlockMeta	ClusterSize	NumClusters	minY	maxY	regen
To my understanding that means that with my line from before you'll get up to 15 clusters of up to 15 blocks (presumably per chunk), at any Y value from bedrock up to 128 blocks high.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Vanmani posted:

I'm at work so I can't grab the config file straight up, but if I recall you have to put in a tab delimited line something like this (replace the block ID with your certus quartz ore block ID as appropriate) - this should give you a fair lot of quartz:
code:
UNIFORM	certus	QUARTZBLOCKIDHERE	0	15	15	0	128	true
So as you understand what those numbers mean:
code:
GenType	Name	BlockID	BlockMeta	ClusterSize	NumClusters	minY	maxY	regen
To my understanding that means that with my line from before you'll get up to 15 clusters of up to 15 blocks (presumably per chunk), at any Y value from bedrock up to 128 blocks high.

Thanks Vanmani, I got it working. It turns out the configs I was editing were for a different test instance, not the one I was working on. :downs:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Goons.

Sonic Bore.

Ride The Wave.

WUB WUB WUB WUB.

Seriously,

I just tried this out. I am looking into alternatives to the digital miner if diamonds are just not working out. This thing seems to be the best alternative. One the one hand, it seems oddly overpowered how it can just blast a 7x7, infinite tunnel out in some direction. On the other hand, I had to get a decent amount of power to reach that point. My big deal is that I want something I can make without diamonds in order to help facilitate getting diamonds. The laser drill seemed fun until I saw I needed a ton of diamonds to get it going at all. I tried the RotaryCraft pile driver to dig a hole, and that was just tedious. It also had a bizarre torque demand and just seemed hostile for mining a hole. What good is the pile driver other than making people nauseous? Eventually I settled on the sonic bore with a magnetostatic engine and a 2:1 steel gearbox to satisfy the torque need. I'll have to prepare for HSLS fabrication, so I'll practice smelting tonight (I was just using cheats to give myself these setups). I presume at some point in the whole process that I'll have enough resources for a 5x5 Big Reactor, which will take care of power demands.

Resource-wise the digital miner takes quite a bit more, and also requires some specialize machinery. However, I guess the big perk is that I can target its extraction.

In NST:Diet, what should I be looking for beginning-game power generation and power transmission? I'm thinking about what I can get up and running almost instantaneously and start preparing things. I was planning to lean on the coal technical tree for the most part.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Beginning power is a mixture between mekanism's generators and Thermal Expansions' dynamos. And of course transmission is via TE's power conduits but mekanism's Universal Cables aren't bad either.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I should probably look more into the other mekanism generators beyond the heat/thermal one. That was the first thing I ever got to work so I got a little too obsessed with them.

Is there a decent early-game way to generate lava for a smeltery? I tried the first-tier RotaryCraft lava generator, and that thing requires a little more power than I expected, the turnover is way to slow, and I haven't been able to pipe out the lava yet. I was hoping to get a smeltery up quickly without having to make runs down to some lava stash somewhere.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I should probably look more into the other mekanism generators beyond the heat/thermal one. That was the first thing I ever got to work so I got a little too obsessed with them.

Is there a decent early-game way to generate lava for a smeltery? I tried the first-tier RotaryCraft lava generator, and that thing requires a little more power than I expected, the turnover is way to slow, and I haven't been able to pipe out the lava yet. I was hoping to get a smeltery up quickly without having to make runs down to some lava stash somewhere.

MFR's got a lava fabricator and Thermal Expansion has one too. They're both also power-intensive, although when burning netherrack for lava in the TE one it's actually energy-profitable to use the lava to run magma dynamos to run the system so that's probably the way to go if you want energy-cheap lava for a time frame you can afford to be shoveling in netherrack.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Dunno about "early game" but you could use the MFR lava fabricator. Also the various TiC tanks keep their contents when you break them, so you can take several, go get a bunch of lava, and put them at your smeltery to refill from as necessary.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Or dig a hole, take a bucket and an Extra Utilities drum, fill the drum with lava, and don't worry about it again for a good long while.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

King Hotpants posted:

Or dig a hole, take a bucket and an Extra Utilities drum, fill the drum with lava, and don't worry about it again for a good long while.

I don't follow. Does the drum not deplete?

My issue is I realized I will be smelting for 6 or more people at once, and I hoped to start with the smeltery. I think instead I should look into grinding ore if it will go to ingots so I gdt the 2x bonus. I just can't make alloys unless I smelt, and I got used to bronze armor for the standard kit. It will be a lot of lava otherwise.

The other generators I see require some tough resources. I can see why because they do not want to make perpetual lava power. I may go back to rotarycraft now that I think it needs to use its own plumbing to connect. I have to try to be sure. The fluiducts connected but did not transmit. The same thing happened when I tried to pump to a sprinkler. I got some of its piping and that shut it up.

We may just poo poo out rotarycraft steel if it is better than iron for toolmaking and armor. I will get a grinder up of some kind eventually anyways.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't follow. Does the drum not deplete?

My issue is I realized I will be smelting for 6 or more people at once, and I hoped to start with the smeltery. I think instead I should look into grinding ore if it will go to ingots so I gdt the 2x bonus. I just can't make alloys unless I smelt, and I got used to bronze armor for the standard kit. It will be a lot of lava otherwise.

The drum holds 250 buckets worth of lava, thus you won't need to worry about additional lava for a good long time.

Also, the smeltery can go to ingots if you make one or more ingot casts and drain from the smeltery into the casts. Basins make full blocks, or you can drain leftover metal into tanks and just put it back in through a backwards smeltery drain when you need it. A thermal expansion pulverizer and furnace set so that the pulverized metal goes straight into the furnace may be faster for small quantities, but a tall enough smeltery will let you drop a whole stack or more in and take the same amount of time as doing one ore in the smeltery.

The smeltery is also required for any metal Tinker's tool parts you want to use.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
By the point that I bother with the nether, I generally just create a safe point, then dive to find a nether fortress. After that I can have all the lava I need with a pump and a pair of ender tanks. Before then, it is a pain in the rear end to get. Lava pools dry up too fast, and ravines are just pains. The only real problem is that the ender tank acts as a low yield buffer that you can't really replace or upgrade in the system until you hit tesseracts, and those require top tier materials. The only other reason to go there is nether ores, and strip mining mystcraft ages replace the need for that anyways.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Tsilkani posted:

Where's the download link for Effector Fields?

metasynthetic posted:

By request:
Effector Fields 1.6.4 R 0.1.2
Nothing significant, cleaned up some debug code left active by accident that was spamming the server console.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

taiyoko posted:

The drum holds 250 buckets worth of lava, thus you won't need to worry about additional lava for a good long time.

Also, the smeltery can go to ingots if you make one or more ingot casts and drain from the smeltery into the casts. Basins make full blocks, or you can drain leftover metal into tanks and just put it back in through a backwards smeltery drain when you need it. A thermal expansion pulverizer and furnace set so that the pulverized metal goes straight into the furnace may be faster for small quantities, but a tall enough smeltery will let you drop a whole stack or more in and take the same amount of time as doing one ore in the smeltery.

The smeltery is also required for any metal Tinker's tool parts you want to use.
I know all this. My problem is keeping a sufficient supply of lava early on to handle the needs of six people and our expansion. I have a bad enough time running around for lava when I'm just dealing with myself, so I'm hoping to get a rudimentary lava generator, even if it is so slow it only supplements what I'm already doing.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
A separate question for NST:Diet. There was a seed I wanted to use that came up with absolutely different results on the server. We decided to just pre-generate on a client and upload the world data to the server. This did serve us that world, but it looks like it uses the old seed for new chunks. This gets pretty trippy. Is there some way I could reconcile all this? I assume a setting mismatch between the client and the server that foils generation, but I'm lost after that.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A separate question for NST:Diet. There was a seed I wanted to use that came up with absolutely different results on the server. We decided to just pre-generate on a client and upload the world data to the server. This did serve us that world, but it looks like it uses the old seed for new chunks. This gets pretty trippy. Is there some way I could reconcile all this? I assume a setting mismatch between the client and the server that foils generation, but I'm lost after that.

You have to put the seed number from the client (open the world and type /seed) into the server.properties file.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mechaet posted:

You have to put the seed number from the client (open the world and type /seed) into the server.properties file.

Yes I did and got different results. I was manually generating seeds on a client, and found seed 17 gave me a village within view of the spawn to my east with 0.70. I deleted my world file on the host and changed the server.properties seed to 17. When I jumped in, I was suddenly surrounded by a magical forest, with an ocean to the west, and completely different stuff to the east. I had discovered the seed offline at home, so I went to my laptop here that is using the client pack you gave me (thanks, BTW), and that one generated the same kind of seed.

The server was convinced it was using seed #17 too. Is there something bizarre I have to do like 0000000017 or something screwed up like that? Is it a case of it interpreting as a string instead of a number?

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Where you spawn is randomized too, did you check coords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Effector Fields really does need to get put into the OP so we don't have to keep finding that post.

As far as seeds go, the mods actually add things based off a different seed(Or just a different timing based on the same seed, so different numbers either way.), so you will get the same basic shape and vanilla ore distribution, but you will get new... say Oil geysers from buildcraft, and new aura nodes from Thaumcraft. Which will in turn make new spooky biomes and Magical forests.

Zebrin fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 12, 2014

• Locked thread