Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dear recruiter -

I know daylight savings time happened and whatnot, so your internal clock may be off, but it's 5pm now, and you said you'd be calling me at 4:30. Did you need to reschedule this? I know you must have a busy day of scheduling meetings you don't plan on attending, so i'll be brief. I need a drat job, and I set aside time in my day just to talk to you. I scheduled other meetings around this one. I had the courtesy to be by my phone, where were you?

In summation: eat a bag of dicks

-me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Dear recruiter -

I know daylight savings time happened and whatnot, so your internal clock may be off, but it's 5pm now, and you said you'd be calling me at 4:30. Did you need to reschedule this? I know you must have a busy day of scheduling meetings you don't plan on attending, so i'll be brief. I need a drat job, and I set aside time in my day just to talk to you. I scheduled other meetings around this one. I had the courtesy to be by my phone, where were you?

-me

I've had a recruiter wake me by calling at 7:00am to schedule another call, and then get *really* offended later when I couldn't remember who the hell she was representing.

I decided I'd blown it with whoever they were anyway, and gave her a proper chewing out about it, she whined about having no way of knowing I was in a different timezone.

Bitch, did you not read my CV before calling me to interview me for a job? My address, second line. Above my phone number! :wtc:

Anyway, I've basically come to the conclusion that recruitment agencies are filled with spastics who wanted to be in your field, but weren't good enough, and ended up in HR screening people instead. Their screening is a joke and they aren't worth dealing with. I've just started contacting the hiring companies directly.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sir_Substance posted:

I've had a recruiter wake me by calling at 7:00am to schedule another call, and then get *really* offended later when I couldn't remember who the hell she was representing.

I decided I'd blown it with whoever they were anyway, and gave her a proper chewing out about it, she whined about having no way of knowing I was in a different timezone.

Bitch, did you not read my CV before calling me to interview me for a job? My address, second line. Above my phone number! :wtc:

Anyway, I've basically come to the conclusion that recruitment agencies are filled with spastics who wanted to be in your field, but weren't good enough, and ended up in HR screening people instead. Their screening is a joke and they aren't worth dealing with. I've just started contacting the hiring companies directly.

It really depends on the recruiter and the recruiting agency. Higher end agencies aren't awful and will staff their recruiting team with functioning adults who try to fit people to positions, while lower end agencies will literally throw every resume they can everywhere they can like a very angry monkey with so very much poo.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Volmarias posted:

It really depends on the recruiter and the recruiting agency. Higher end agencies aren't awful and will staff their recruiting team with functioning adults who try to fit people to positions, while lower end agencies will literally throw every resume they can everywhere they can like a very angry monkey with so very much poo.

I'm quite pissed off about my experiences to date because I feel like recruiting agencies and I should be on the same side, yet here I am. If I wanted to talk with a recruiting agency who could fit me to a job, how and where would I find a decent one?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sir_Substance posted:

I'm quite pissed off about my experiences to date because I feel like recruiting agencies and I should be on the same side, yet here I am. If I wanted to talk with a recruiting agency who could fit me to a job, how and where would I find a decent one?

First you need to understand their motives. Their only goal is to find companies that need people. Once that's done, they try to get someone with the cookie cutter set of HR requirements they ask for.

Going with one or two recruiters is pointless. If employers are looking for your skill set recruiters will find you. Employers will most likely only choose a few recruiting companies at a time and who knows the thought process behind that. You just have to make yourself easy to find.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Recruiters are salesman and should be treated as such.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Sickening posted:

If employers are looking for your skill set recruiters will find you.

What avenues do they use to do that other then linkedin?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sir_Substance posted:

What avenues do they use to do that other then linkedin?

Every job posting site known to mankind. There is no downside to having them on all of them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

That said, LinkedIn is basically THE place to have recruiters spam you.

I got placed into my previous job about four years ago through WinterWyman, which was pretty nice. They did a lot of coaching, and gave me a tech interview so that they would have an idea of what level I was actually on to help place me into the right spot. I never had an interview that was blatantly a mismatch with them, and the recruiter was pretty good as a human being.

Decent recruiting companies exist, it might just be hard to find them.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've had a recruiter who placed me in my current contract to hire job, call me the last two days in a row saying that they found my resume online and have some exciting opportunities they would like to speak to me about!

What's worse are the recruiting firms who seem to have outsourced their recruiters. People calling you anywhere from 6:30AM to 8PM in thick accents trying to talk to you about some crappy job they have available.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Oh and if you want a truckload of recruiter activity, update your resume or reupload your current resume frequently (Once every 3 days or so). This makes you pop up as a new lead in a lot of their systems and moves you to the top of the 'prospects' pile.

Along the same lines:
NO I DON'T want to be an insurance salesperson. I've told you a million times that I want to stay in my field and I'm trying to be loving polite when I say 'No thanks'. Nor do I want to attend a 'career seminar' for the 'potential openings' either you have a job for me or you don't!

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 11, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aren't people phoning you up and trying to get you to go on 'careers seminars' just thinly veiled attempts to sell you something? When I was job searching a while back I had a few people contact me in broken English and try to get me to go and attend what they called an interview, but wouldn't say what the company was or what the job was. After a bit of Googling it turned out they get people in a room and try and convince them that a pyramid scheme is a good plan.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Caged posted:

Aren't people phoning you up and trying to get you to go on 'careers seminars' just thinly veiled attempts to sell you something? When I was job searching a while back I had a few people contact me in broken English and try to get me to go and attend what they called an interview, but wouldn't say what the company was or what the job was. After a bit of Googling it turned out they get people in a room and try and convince them that a pyramid scheme is a good plan.

I'm well aware, and usually the 'insurance salesperson' is a scam in that you pay somewhere north of 5k for the training and equipment (which I suppose is reasonable) and then get paid on the basis of the accounts you maintain. Which does, effectively, make it a form of pyramid scheme.

Edit: The fun part is "We saw your resume" huh? so you read the "Objective to secure [ITRelated] Position" and thought I would like to go into a sales position based on that.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 11, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
poo poo that's pissing me off today:

HP has become a terrible, lovely company and they don't make a single product I would ever want to own(except my little microserver at home.)

Getting their lovely little printers to print back to a machine from a remote terminal services session is 99% infuckingpossible. I hate them, I hate them so much.

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

It's like we've got each other's backs.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Dear recruiter -

-me

Replace "recruiter" with "credit union auto loan officer" and this was me yesterday and today. :(

Why is it so hard to get someone to call me back for a used car loan?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Caged posted:

This is a very common recruiting tactic in the lower-end financial services industry. I won't call it "wealth management" because the roles are intended to push particular products rather than actually, you know, managing wealth. They are absolutely selling you on the job, though: territories usually have 100% overlap, and the recruiting manager gets a cut of everything you sell until you (and they) move up. It's basically Mary Kay, but instead of selling make-up, you'll be selling insurance policies/annuities/securities/etc.

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

This is a very common recruiting tactic in the lower-end financial services industry. I won't call it "wealth management" because the roles are intended to push particular products rather than actually, you know, managing wealth. They are absolutely selling you on the job, though: territories usually have 100% overlap, and the recruiting manager gets a cut of everything you sell until you (and they) move up. It's basically Mary Kay, but instead of selling make-up, you'll be selling insurance policies/annuities/securities/etc.

Ameriprise-Financial.txt

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I work with a guy whose text signature is always in Chiller. Just needed to say that out loud.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Question for all of you corporate IT types: why is the below true?

When troubleshooting any sort of consumer software, tech support invariably insists that you:
1. Run Windows update
2. Update all of your drivers, regardless of whether or not the software should use them (I'm looking at you, card readers)
3. Update your BIOS
4. Update all the things
5. Disable anti-virus

When troubleshooting any sort of software used by a business, that business' tech support insists that you:
1. Don't update anything
2. Ohgod why are you using Firefox and not IE7
3. Why did you run Windows update? We haven't certified any Windows updates since May 2013.
4. Run only one particular brand of anti-virus. All others will magically cause the software to fail.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

When troubleshooting any sort of consumer software, tech support invariably insists that you:
1. Run Windows update
2. Update all of your drivers, regardless of whether or not the software should use them (I'm looking at you, card readers)
3. Update your BIOS
4. Update all the things
5. Disable anti-virus

When troubleshooting any sort of software used by a business, that business' tech support insists that you:
1. Don't update anything
2. Ohgod why are you using Firefox and not IE6
3. Why did you run Windows update? We haven't certified any Windows updates since May 2003.
4. Run only one particular version of Java. All others will magically cause the software to fail.
5. Disable UAC if you dare to run anything newer than XP
6. You don't give local admin to everyone? That's going to be a problem...

This is unfortunately pretty par for the course. The more specialized, business-critical, and expensive a piece of software is, the shittier it is.

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

Business IT policies exist in a Bizarro World. The oldest possible browser is what is used and operating systems from the mid-2000's are totally legit. Java shall never be updated. Whenever possible use AOL instant messenger for internal business IM's.

Legacy IT Policies 4 Lyfe!!!

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Baby Town Frolics posted:

Whenever possible use AOL instant messenger for internal business IM's.

Honestly, compared to a lot of chat protocols AIM isn't that bad. You can even run encryption on top of it!

One of the companies a friend of mine worked at was still using IRC. I think it really depends on what you're using it for.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

poo poo pissing me off: Backup Exec 2012 and Symantec Support. I opened a ticket because I can't restore some files from tape due to catalog errors. Support asks me to run a some command line stuff and then try to catalog again. I tell them I can't because the tape drive is still duplicating from the weekend. Come in today to find out there were no backups overnight and that nothing works because I have no catalogs anymore. There wasn't a single mention of this yesterday when I was talking to support.

I can't possibly express how angry I am that we paid money for this program.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

Honestly, compared to a lot of chat protocols AIM isn't that bad. You can even run encryption on top of it!

One of the companies a friend of mine worked at was still using IRC. I think it really depends on what you're using it for.

IRC can also be encrypted.

*shrug*

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Pissing me off today and every day until the end of days: Riverbed Steelheads. These things are amazing when they work, and utter, utter shite when they don't. Server 2012 R2 has apparently confused the everliving poo poo out of their development team. It took them a while to get SMB3 support in after 2012 came out, but eventually they got there. Then R2 comes out and they instantly break due to mangling the negotiated SMB dialect version in the new security check (amazingly they did this even when you tell them not to optimise anything, which happens ALL THE loving TIME).

Now we have another issue where clients can't connect to a Server 2012 R2 server, even Windows 7 clients using SMB2. How the gently caress do you break this? For god knows what reason the client end Steelhead just holds onto the tree request that the client sends and then... does nothing with it. And then drops it after 5 minutes with an error that says there was no response from the server that it didn't forward the request to.

So far Riverbed have told me that this because:
We have some additional IP subnets that the client Steelhead can see but are not configured in the optimisation rules (these subnets are local, not used or even visible to any of the affected machines, and nothing on the other side of the Steelhead can route to them).
We have not updated to the latest firmware version 8.5.2 (uh yeah actually that is exactly what we are running?).
Our connection is too congested (100 Mbit symmetric fibre running at about 5% usage? Really?)
We have not updated to the latest firmware version 8.5.2a.
Our connection is too fast, the Steelhead unit is only licensed to optimise 10 Mb of traffic (they just pass through everything above, they agreed this is perfectly normal, and by the way a unit to support 100 Mbit costs 6 figures minimum).
We have not updated to the latest firmware version 8.5.2b (did I mention only the first one has any mention of SMB and we had it already?).

They now tell us to disable half of the SMB2 optimisations and... hey it works! So we turned off HTTPS optimisation because it breaks. We turned off HTTP because that breaks. We turned off MAPI because that breaks. We turned off SMB signing altogether because hey guess what, that breaks too! Now we're optimising half of SMB2 and nothing else and paying a massive pile of money on maintenance for the privilege.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 11, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Ynglaur posted:

1. Run Windows update
3. Update your BIOS
4. Update all the things
5. Disable anti-virus

1. Don't update anything
2. Ohgod why are you using Firefox and not IE7
3. Why did you run Windows update? We haven't certified any Windows updates since May 2013.
4. Run only one particular brand of anti-virus. All others will magically cause the software to fail.

Becasue tech support for consumer and business applications have vastly different SLA's

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Edit: I'm stupid and apparently can't figure out how to post without double-posting.

Pissing me off: myself.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 11, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'm confused: what are you actually paying for at this point?

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Becasue tech support for consumer and business applications have vastly different SLA's

Good point. Apparently business SLAs are "Run everything as insecurely as possible." Did I mention that nothing could possibly go wrong when running Java 1.6 or earlier on the modern Internet?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Ynglaur posted:

Good point. Apparently business SLAs are "Run everything as insecurely as possible." Did I mention that nothing could possibly go wrong when running Java 1.6 or earlier on the modern Internet?

Yeah I've seen a bunch of poo poo like that but the company will go right back to how it sold the product and believes that the IT staff and business understood said risks. It's a lovely company practice but happens more often than I'd like to admit, especially when ThinAPP'ing programs... Once they work awesome, but mentioning virtualization to some companies is like insulting their mother.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ynglaur posted:

Business SLAs are "your firewall and IDS are your security, so don't update poo poo willy-nilly and potentially break that things that let your business make money". Don't use obsolete tech (including Java 1.6), but you really have no need to be updating poo poo, and your admins want a consistent environment anyway. It's not your responsibility, it's not your computer, and it's not your money.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Then everyone blames their firewall for issues like "this address is unrouteable" and "this server isn't responding".

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
My background check cleared, my interview rocked, %IT Manager% wants me ASAP, the current sysadmins and engineers want me ASAP, price is right, ~1 mile from my apartment, and HR is dragging it's feet.

;-* "Oh you forgot to fill out a formalized job application, which asks you the same stuff that we did for your background check! Gotta do that then wait 3-5 days as we never call any of your references! Company policy"

gently caress

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

My background check cleared, my interview rocked, %IT Manager% wants me ASAP, the current sysadmins and engineers want me ASAP, price is right, ~1 mile from my apartment, and HR is dragging it's feet.

;-* "Oh you forgot to fill out a formalized job application, which asks you the same stuff that we did for your background check! Gotta do that then wait 3-5 days as we never call any of your references! Company policy"

gently caress

When HR decides not to hire you because of a lack of totally irrelevant buzzwords, then you will reach enlightenment.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

TK-42-1 posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Backup Exec 2012 and Symantec Support. I opened a ticket because I can't restore some files from tape due to catalog errors. Support asks me to run a some command line stuff and then try to catalog again. I tell them I can't because the tape drive is still duplicating from the weekend. Come in today to find out there were no backups overnight and that nothing works because I have no catalogs anymore. There wasn't a single mention of this yesterday when I was talking to support.

I can't possibly express how angry I am that we paid money for this program.

I loving hate Backup Exec and I honestly don't understand why some of my company's use it. We have loving backup scripts ready for you to use, let us use them! :argh:

Its favourite error for me lately is telling me that my files are corrupt so it won't back them up, despite the files being fine. Dunno what the gently caress to do with it, so here I am looking it up in my own time because I don't have time when i'm at work.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
What pisses me off right now? Multiple things.

Firstly, Feb 28th was in a car accident where someone failed to yield on a non-protected left turn and turned right in front of me as I was going through the intersection at speed. The result was a double-compound fracture of both my tibula and fibula. Had to be air-cared to University of Cincinnati hospital.

Secondly, I am now sitting in a rehab/nursing home place that uses Meraki APs and its content filtering features. Pretty much every website of entertaining value is blocked. Youtube, Netflix, many tech sites, Facebook, many blogs I visit daily, etc... Oddly enough SA works.

Thirdly, insurance company immediately started dicking me around, trying to weasel out of things. Saying there was a question of if I actually had green lights despite police report and several signed witness statements saying otherwise. Low-balled me on my car, etc...

What isn't pissing me off? Hired lawyer, insurance company immediately changed tune :D Have now been offered above dealer retail value for my car and they are caving to pretty much every demand from my lawyer.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 12, 2014

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Haha Backupexec is so poo poo MY GOD

we are finally phasing it out FINALLY

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

stevewm posted:

What isn't pissing me off? Hired lawyer, insurance company immediately changed tune :D Have now been offered above dealer retail value for my car and they are caving to pretty much every demand from my lawyer.

You should get some kind of award for being the first goon in this thread to hire a lawyer for something. *cough*

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

You should get some kind of award for being the first goon in this thread to hire a lawyer for something. *cough*

What pisses me off even more is that the person at fault has the same insurance company as me.. So I am dealing with just a single company, not 2. I don't care if the lawyer does get a cut, the fuckers are going to pay. You pay for insurance for them to cover your back when poo poo like this happens. It just pisses me off you have to hire a lawyer for more money just to get your insurance company to do what you paid them to do in the first place.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

stevewm posted:

the person at fault has the same insurance company as me

Found the root cause for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

stevewm posted:

Secondly, I am now sitting in a rehab/nursing home place that uses Meraki APs and its content filtering features. Pretty much every website of entertaining value is blocked. Youtube, Netflix, many tech sites, Facebook, many blogs I visit daily, etc... Oddly enough SA works.

VPN? Totally worth it if you're there a while.