Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Personally I hate it when I'm having a great fair 8v8 fight, and suddenly another friendly group shows up and spoils the fight.

So when I find myself stumbling upon a fight I won't engage until the dust has settled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Meatsicle posted:

I've never understood this attitude. It's supposed to be a war. Do you not kill grays XPing in the frontier because it isn't "fair?" What about soloers and small mans? Same thing, really.

Red is dead, brah.

It's not about 'fair', it's about fun.

And yes, Radar usage has always been extremely high in daoc. A lot of things seem fishy or just not quite normal when you're not using radar. Then when you actually use radar, it turns in to "oh, 90% of the server uses it. How quaint.)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Meatsicle posted:

I've never understood this attitude. It's supposed to be a war. Do you not kill grays XPing in the frontier because it isn't "fair?" What about soloers and small mans? Same thing, really.

Red is dead, brah.

A good portion of those 8v8 groups have zero problems running over a soloer or greys XPing, which is why you shouldnt give a drat about "fair". Youre out there for fun, which means killing dudes. :colbert:

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

A good portion of those 8v8 groups have zero problems running over a soloer or greys XPing, which is why you shouldnt give a drat about "fair". Youre out there for fun, which means killing dudes. :colbert:

I don't like running over visible soloers, but stealthers can eat a dick. They always add everything.
Also xp groups give a lot of rps, especially the mid 30s to 40s ones that are commonly killed. Blame the server mechanics.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

PriNGLeS posted:

It's not about 'fair', it's about fun

I have fun adding on to group fights and killing enemy players.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Meatsicle posted:

I have fun adding on to group fights and killing enemy players.

Then go ape poo poo, just expect everyone to shun you/troll you.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PriNGLeS posted:

It's not about 'fair', it's about fun.

And yes, Radar usage has always been extremely high in daoc. A lot of things seem fishy or just not quite normal when you're not using radar. Then when you actually use radar, it turns in to "oh, 90% of the server uses it. How quaint.)

Well that explains a few times when someone asked "hey is so-and-so camp camped?" and without even having time to 'ask in guild/region' someone says "it's camped".

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

Likewise, expect people to add into fights so long as a group is known to keep going after unfair and easy RPs on greys and solo players.

Blame the mechanics that they still award RPs. :v:

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

So, got to 36 on the bard tonight before Hibernia poo poo itself but now I'm kind of wishing I was playing Alb.

Alas.

Genesis, btw

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

PriNGLeS posted:

Haha. Yeah, I'm really concerned. Keep fighting the good fight, brah.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I honestly think I can count on one hand how many times I was ever left alone as a solo by "elite" 8v8 groups back in the day.

Plenty of times standing off in the distance watching an 8v8 fight where the winner immediately would turn around and roll me afterwards.

Running in a group of 3 or 4? Eh who cares, chase them! Solo fight with an alb? Hib group comes in and kills both of us. gently caress "8v8" groups.

Maybe it will be different on Genesis but I doubt it.

Combo fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 28, 2014

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Combo posted:

I honestly think I can count on one hand how many times I was ever left alone as a solo by "elite" 8v8 groups back in the day.

Plenty of times standing off in the distance watching an 8v8 fight where the winner immediately would turn around and roll me afterwards.

Running in a group of 3 or 4? Eh who cares, chase them! Solo fight with an alb? Hib group comes in and kills both of us. gently caress "8v8" groups.

Maybe it will be different on Genesis but I doubt it.

Genesis is a server geared specifically for those people, so dont get your hopes up. :(

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

Genesis is a server geared specifically for those people, so dont get your hopes up. :(

I haven't played on it since the whole silently moving guilds to alb/hib with free 50s happened.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Meatsicle posted:

Haha. Yeah, I'm really concerned. Keep fighting the good fight, brah.

Who are you and what are you mad about?

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

PriNGLeS posted:

Who are you and what are you mad about?
I'm just playing a video game, dude.

zincaito
Nov 18, 2003

i love adventures
Feeling nostalgic and wanted to try this again. Anyone successfully gotten it running under wine? I can run the launcher, but it crashes when it tries to download the first file to patch. I dug around for a while and tried the common fixes (disabled pixel shaders) without much luck.

DrBombay
Jul 5, 2004

by Ralp

zincaito posted:

Feeling nostalgic and wanted to try this again. Anyone successfully gotten it running under wine? I can run the launcher, but it crashes when it tries to download the first file to patch. I dug around for a while and tried the common fixes (disabled pixel shaders) without much luck.

Yes, you can PM me with any difficulties, but this thread should do a decent job explaining. (Look towards the end):
http://uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26425

You'll need to be using the DOL Launcher and using winetricks to grab the dotnet runtimes.

FknMeh
Dec 9, 2008

How rainbows are made...

Rannison posted:

So, got to 36 on the bard tonight before Hibernia poo poo itself but now I'm kind of wishing I was playing Alb.

Alas.

Genesis, btw

Come to the light, come to Mid. We need more people, and we need them in a collective so we can actually run groups. I realize everyone is like "But THIS realm is my FAVORITE realm, all other realms are ICKY!" Forming guild groups and actually RvRing instead of standing around at the BK is way more fun. If Hib had the most Goons, I'd roll Hib. If Alb had the most Goons I'd roll Alb. But Mid has the most Goons. Should consider rolling with us.

If you made a Healer/Shaman on Mid you'd be 40+ in a day.

I'm sure I'll get some "This spergatron is trying to tell me how to play on the interwebs, rawregergergergerg!" response. I'd just like us to work together and have even more fun. =)

FknMeh fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 1, 2014

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

FknMeh posted:

Come to the light, come to Mid. We need more people, and we need them in a collective so we can actually run groups. I realize everyone is like "But THIS realm is my FAVORITE realm, all other realms are ICKY!" Forming guild groups and actually RvRing instead of standing around at the BK is way more fun. If Hib had the most Goons, I'd roll Hib. If Alb had the most Goons I'd roll Alb. But Mid has the most Goons. Should consider rolling with us.

If you made a Healer/Shaman on Mid you'd be 40+ in a day.

I'm sure I'll get some "This spergatron is trying to tell me how to play on the interwebs, rawregergergergerg!" response. I'd just like us to work together and have even more fun. =)

I actually intended on rolling on Mid [I loving love shaman/bonedancer/savage/SM] but assumed they would be super overpopulated. My buddy and I were talking about deleting our hibs and either going alb or mid though.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Rannison posted:

assumed they would be super overpopulated.
From day 1, Hibernia has been overpopulated, that's basically how every SI+ server is, period.

People love animist for PVE.

Once Midgard got the ball rolling and got the relics back, people started to trickle in - but after the staff showed some cough favoritism towards Albion, people started jumping ship on all realms. At it's best/worst, Midgard had way more people participating in RVR than Alb or Hib, although Hib had a few FGs running around killing XP groups in mid frontiers almost non-stop, getting a few people TONS of RP, especially when there were lots of relic hoppers.

Edit: With that said, the population was pretty stable until the staff-guild-transfer happened. Albion favored PVE, Hibernia favored EXP group farming, Midgard set up lots of 8man groups and roamed, making it SEEM like we had more active numbers than we did, especially considering how often our groups succeeded in killing our enemies.

Haven't been on in a few days but Midgard was severely underpopulated in both RVR and PVE when I last played.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 1, 2014

FknMeh
Dec 9, 2008

How rainbows are made...

Rannison posted:

I actually intended on rolling on Mid [I loving love shaman/bonedancer/savage/SM] but assumed they would be super overpopulated. My buddy and I were talking about deleting our hibs and either going alb or mid though.

Well if you decide to make the switch message me on Bbw, Fkn, or Bbc. Or look for someone From Emain Macha Golf and County Club

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Whole population seems to be Alb > Mid > Hib. RvR population seems to be Mid >> Alb > Hib. Until they decide to take keeps and Alb whips together 60 people.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Saturday night I saw a 85man alb zerg in Emain. I logged thinking they would get back some of their relics.
Logging on on sunday I saw nothing had changed? What the?

I also got blasted to oblivion several times by Hibernian groups, geez.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

FknMeh posted:

Well if you decide to make the switch message me on Bbw, Fkn, or Bbc. Or look for someone From Emain Macha Golf and County Club

IRL buddy refuses to move so we're gonna stay Hibernia.

If anyone is interested in joining us, however, I'm Obviously/Bamboo/Sticks in game

[Genesis in case that wasn't understood]

Rannison fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 5, 2014

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Did they raise the population cap to 1200 now?
Anyway the past week I haven't had any problems logging in anymore, seems like the population has reached its climax. And to be honest it's very playable where it is at now.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

Evernoob posted:

Did they raise the population cap to 1200 now?
Anyway the past week I haven't had any problems logging in anymore, seems like the population has reached its climax. And to be honest it's very playable where it is at now.

This is good news I will have to start logging back in. Are we still mid or have we changed to something else?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Do we have a guild on hib side on Genesis?

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

ded posted:

Do we have a guild on hib side on Genesis?

I'm in <Clan Oaksworn> with an irl bud. Decent and helpful people.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

I know this has been addressed somewhere in this thread but, honestly, I don't feel like sorting through it all:

I'm currently playing Genesis [Hibernia] but kind of want to log into the live servers for the free 14 days and just revisit all my old characters, how does one go about installing a second client without having to patch and repatch and such?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I would assume you just copy the directory over into another one and load up the daoc patcher to fix it up.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I just copy/pasted the directory. Works fine. Except it disables my custom UI on Genesis after I play live. Kind of annoying. Just have to constantly enable it again.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

PriNGLeS posted:

I just copy/pasted the directory. Works fine. Except it disables my custom UI on Genesis after I play live. Kind of annoying. Just have to constantly enable it again.

Yeah that was a really annoying thing but once you knew what was happening it was an easy fix.

The patcher thing didn't work for me but I had someone send me their current game.dll and it worked perfectly.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Genesis has been up and stable for over 72hrs now. Even the epic mobs respawn properly now.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Also a lot fewer people are playing than a month ago.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I haven't played last much this week, but that's mostly due to short playtimes driving me to quicker in&out games.
Server population is still around 1K at peak which is a pretty healthy number if you ask me.

Perhaps with the imminent launch of two big titles there will be a dip in population soon.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
The server has been remarkably stable, but I'm sure a lot of it has to do with a pretty drastic dip in population (thus the server not getting ddosd by people trying to log in). RvR action is still pretty strong at times and still riddled with hilarious bugs. 1.2k health life transfer charges. Good times.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

PriNGLeS posted:

drastic dip in population
Yeah, my guess is that all of the whiners would quit and make the server stable again.

But I think it was actually Cody's idiocy that finally pushed everyone over the edge.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tom Powers posted:

Yeah, my guess is that all of the whiners would quit and make the server stable again.

But I think it was actually Cody's idiocy that finally pushed everyone over the edge.

He definitely had a big hand in that, but from my observation the largest dip came after their "fix" for buffs/debuffs staying active in RvR after a zone freeze: Stripping ALL your buffs. Having to stop and rebuff every 15 minutes in RvR was quite thrilling, especially in a PUG where it can take 10 minutes for people to sort it out.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

PriNGLeS posted:

The server has been remarkably stable, but I'm sure a lot of it has to do with a pretty drastic dip in population (thus the server not getting ddosd by people trying to log in). RvR action is still pretty strong at times and still riddled with hilarious bugs. 1.2k health life transfer charges. Good times.

People seem to be grabbing their pitchforks and getting ready to riot now that Midgard's little secret has been exposed to the server at-large!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Any way, most important thing to know : Genesis Emain is still a very good place to get GoodFites. Had some nice 8v8 action versus both Hibs and Albs, and both Mellee and Caster groups. There really is no absolutely dominant setup in my opinion and player skill (and how well one group gets the jump) seems like the most dominant factor. How it should be!

• Locked thread