Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Longshot007 posted:

If a card does generate +1/+1 counters (For Example: Phalanx Leader), would those counters go away when the Phalanx Leader dies? Do Bestows count as an enchantment for the purposes of the phalanx leaders ability?

If Phalanx Leader leaves the battlefield, any counters on it disappear. If you cast an Aura spell that targets Phalanx Leader, as you do when you cast an enchantment spell for its bestow cost, Phalanx Leader's ability triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Count Bleck posted:

+1/+1 counters stick around no matter what adds them to a card, they'll remain on the card until a spell moves them (Bioshift) or if the card it's attached to leaves the battlefield for any reason (dying, exile, returning to the hand)

Or if another card adds -1/-1 counters to the creature, in which case the + & - counters annihilate on a 1-for-1 basis like matter and antimatter.

Longshot007 posted:

If a card does generate +1/+1 counters (For Example: Phalanx Leader), would those counters go away when the Phalanx Leader dies? Do Bestows count as an enchantment for the purposes of the phalanx leaders ability?

Edit: I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this deck.

Yes, if you bestow a creature onto Phalanx Leader it triggers Heroic.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Thank you for the quick replies! Final question, are there any good white or colorless cards I can use to draw more cards? Preferably ones that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Kasonic posted:

Wait, what?

Having someone take a picture of your butt crack is something that would probably make you feel uncomfortable at best. At worst it's a form of sexual harassment.

It's a funny series of photos but its not behavior that Wizards can ignore.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The whole point of the Bestow mechanic is that it triggers heroic.

morning wood posted:

Ok someone needs to go use Kiora in a SCG tourney and top 8 with it so people will stop laughing at me offering her for trade. Funny because SCG has her listed at $25 but nobody wants her :mad:

I hate when that happens. I actually want Kioras, but SCG has fixed the price at the standard 'new printed planeswalker = $25' despite no decks using her placing anywhere.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bosushi! posted:

Having someone take a picture of your butt crack is something that would probably make you feel uncomfortable at best. At worst it's a form of sexual harassment.

It's a funny series of photos but its not behavior that Wizards can ignore.

If that mockery counts as sexual harassment, then exposing your rear end like that counts as sexual harassment.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

En Fuego posted:

Who is planning on playing at SCGSea this weekend? SWEET STANDARD ACTION YO.

I'm playing a suicide black deck I posted in brewhouse, before, with some modifications.

Will probably also bring a Commander or two to play as well once I inevitably drop.

Thinking about showing up with rakdos aggro, is there a bar nearby for when I inevitably wash out?

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Entropic posted:

If that mockery counts as sexual harassment, then exposing your rear end like that counts as sexual harassment.

If Wizard's lets this slide then some creepy nerd is going to try to do this stunt with any women in attendance.

Well, lets face it, it'll probably happen anyway now that the seed is planted.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Entropic posted:

Whether it's to make fun of someone or to sexually harrass someone, both exploit the person without their knowledge. It makes the community uncomfortable in an environment where they shouldn't have to worry about getting their bodies made fun of publicly.
Imagine if this dude was going around getting pictures of womens' cleavage and then posting them online.

Sure, buttcrack is :lol:, but Wizards isn't into protecting the integrity of internet comics. They're into protecting their sanctioned tournaments as places where people can come and play and be relatively assured that their asscracks aren't being posted all over the internet for us to laugh at.

But, they let their asses hang out so they were asking for it, amirite?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
No one comes out of it looking good.

It was inappropriate but the guy had a point. Pull up your drat pants, people.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
The guy will almost certainly be banned for this, and deservedly so.

At the same time, I wish people would learn how to loving dress themselves.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

On the one hand, I think it was bad. On the other hand, I think it was good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I seriously think judges at major events should be able to issue warnings / game losses for hygiene violations.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Entropic posted:

I seriously think judges at major events should be able to issue warnings / game losses for hygiene violations.

Is it a violation if I call the other player out on it?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Whether it's to make fun of someone or to sexually harrass someone, both exploit the person without their knowledge. It makes the community uncomfortable in an environment where they shouldn't have to worry about getting their bodies made fun of publicly.
Imagine if this dude was going around getting pictures of womens' cleavage and then posting them online.

Sure, buttcrack is :lol:, but Wizards isn't into protecting the integrity of internet comics. They're into protecting their sanctioned tournaments as places where people can come and play and be relatively assured that their asscracks aren't being posted all over the internet for us to laugh at.

But, they let their asses hang out so they were asking for it, amirite?

Cleavage is not the same as asscrack in terms of whether it's accepted to expose any of it in a public situation. Nor is there the presumption that this is being done for reasons of sexual gratification/voyeurism, the way it would be if it was women.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

OssiansFolly posted:

Is it a violation if I call the other player out on it?

Yep! Some one can small/look awful, but you can't comment on it because it's unsportsmanlike.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

threefive posted:

Yep! Some one can small/look awful, but you can't comment on it because it's unsportsmanlike.

The appropriate action is to complain tot he Tournament Organizer and if they fail to act reasonably then the WPN.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

JerryLee posted:

Cleavage is not the same as asscrack in terms of whether it's accepted to expose any of it in a public situation. Nor is there the presumption that this is being done for reasons of sexual gratification/voyeurism, the way it would be if it was women.

Wizards is protecting the interests of their clientele. If their clientele feel harrassed at a tournament, does it make sense for Wizards to say "well, at least nobody is beating off to your asscrack..."?

They made the right move, regardless of how much people think they overreacted. It's not about public perception of how "OK" it is for asscracks to be exposed it public. It's about the right not to have them posted all over the internet without their consent.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

threefive posted:

I actually don't think this is the case. I am pretty sure you're allowed to say, "Hey dude. You smell really bad."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"This is a place you can come have fun and not be ridiculed," is a very important message to send Wizard poker players. Quick, harsh action will send it loud and clear.

There's basically no downside to banning the dude. You have to stretch pretty far not to see how it's ugly and undesirable for the game, and it's not like there's going to be a line of people at their door protesting for his rights.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

quote:

Helene Bergeot

It is important for us to maintain a courteous and respectful environment at all Magic events. Participants are expected to demonstrate appropriate conduct towards others, whether they are players, spectators, judges or tournament officials. Disrespectful, harassing or bullying behavior, whether onsite or online, is not welcome at Magic events and violates Magic tournament floor rules.
The ban talk is just talk right now. The player in question hasn't been officially disciplined. Its just that when this has come up before the player usually does get a major infraction for it.

There's nothing in the rules that says you can't pull someone aside or in the case of this killer crack just lean in and let the person know they're showing their rear end off. The part where he crossed was making silly poses and posting photos of it all over the web. He deserves whatever punishment that happens because of it.

CFB's Matt Sperling talked about this a few months ago in a tactful way.

Korak fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 11, 2014

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Shut up and look.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Well, I do need a playset of LEDs.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Jabor posted:

Unless someone sets up a derivatives market for cardboard, in which case you could sell short and profit that way.

A futures market for cardboard would actually be kind of useful, you could do things like "get me these cards in time for the GP" while insulating both buyer and seller against price swings and the like.

I've played with this thought for a while, and I agree with you. I just can't see there being enough money in it to attract any of the necessary lawyers needed to write and enforce the contracts. If anyone could or would do it, I think SCG is the only party with near enough resources to pull it off, and I doubt they're interested.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

AgentSythe posted:

Well, I do need a playset of LEDs.

It was posted a half hour ago and bidding is already up to $450. I suspect it will go higher still.

EDIT: Make that $475 now.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Rules question: Does Akroan Horse entering the battlefield trigger Purphoros before being taken by an opponent? Or does it enter the battlefield under the control of the opponent? I'm not sure how the wording affects the board there.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Rules question: Does Akroan Horse entering the battlefield trigger Purphoros before being taken by an opponent? Or does it enter the battlefield under the control of the opponent? I'm not sure how the wording affects the board there.

Horse switching controllers is a trigger, which means its ability goes on the stack after its on the battlefield. Purphoros will trigger off your horse entering before it goes away.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kabanaw posted:

Horse switching controllers is a trigger, which means its ability goes on the stack after its on the battlefield. Purphoros will trigger off your horse entering before it goes away.

Specifically, the magic word you're looking for is "when," which means it's completed doing its first thing (entering play) and now does its next thing (rolling up in front of your opponent's gates as a gift).

The opposing word is "as," meaning it happens at the same time, like Clone.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

What a Judas posted:

Shut up and look.

Bidding is up to $525.

And I might win.

(I doubt it.)

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

What a Judas posted:

Bidding is up to $525.

And I might win.

(I doubt it.)

You better win.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

uggy posted:

You better win.

Someone just did $550 and that might be going too far for me.

Might.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Sacrifice your wallet, discard your cash: Gain a miscut Lion's Eye Diamond in your collection. Play this only as a bid on an auction.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I don't get it. Maybe it's because I'm a filthy poor, but I would never spend that much on that.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

RME posted:

Sacrifice your wallet, discard your cash: Gain a miscut Lion's Eye Diamond in your collection. Play this only as a bid on an auction.

If you don't pay your rent at the beginning of the next rent cycle, you lose the game.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

RME posted:

Dungeon Ecology posted:

If you don't pay your rent at the beginning of the next rent cycle, you lose the game.

At the end of your engagement end step, shuffle Miscut Lion's Eye Diamond into your library, along with the cards from your graveyard.
Roll a DX, where X represents the number of cards in your library. If Miscut Lion's Eye Diamond is chosen by this dice roll, put an */* creature token named Angry Wife with haste and first strike, indestructible , shroud, and rules text reading "angry wife cannot be blocked except by lawyer tokens" where * is 1/4th of your current life total, rounded down, and an */* creature token named Expensive Lawyer, with haste and first strike, indestructible , shroud, and rules text reading "Expensive Lawyer cannot be blocked except by lawyer tokens" where * is 3/4th of your current life total, rounded up, in the control of your opponent. Tap all your mana, and all creatures under your control except tokens named Expensive Lawyer. They do not untap next turn. Angry Wife and Expensive Lawyer attack every turn.

If you take damage from either token, then you begin every game for the next ten games with 1/2 your starting life total, and by discarding 1/2 your starting hand, and putting the top half of your deck into your graveyard. All spells you cast during those games cost twice their normal CMC.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pay 1 life: MTG

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Mortimer posted:

Pay 1 life: MTG
If this thread were to have a subtitle, this should be it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

50 pounds of bread posted:

I don't get it. Maybe it's because I'm a filthy poor, but I would never spend that much on that.

This is a collectible card game. Some people like the collectible aspect more than the game aspect. You and I, if it isn't a horrible dog eaten piece of poo poo and can be played in a sleeve, I'll play it. I should show a picture of the mox diamond I have in my cube sometime. It will make some people weep, but I got it for nothing. I'd rather haggle with a dealer over that goblin guide that is closer to played than SP than haggle into a miscut LED. That is just me though.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

LightReaper posted:

If this thread were to have a subtitle, this should be it.

Magic: The Gathering: As an additional cost to play this game, sacrifice 1 life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Huxley posted:

"This is a place you can come have fun and not be ridiculed," is a very important message to send Wizard poker players. Quick, harsh action will send it loud and clear.

There's basically no downside to banning the dude. You have to stretch pretty far not to see how it's ugly and undesirable for the game, and it's not like there's going to be a line of people at their door protesting for his rights.

Not really. These people did not have the decency to cover up their disgusting rear end cracks and instead forced thousands of people to be exposed to them. They had an easy choice to pull up their goddamn pants. Not to mention the hygiene issues, that area of the body is a hive of bacteria and they are directly applying it to a public seat that someone else will sit in next round.

These people have absolutely no respect for those around them. They deserve to be ridiculed. This is not a social justice issue, "people with their asses hanging out because of laziness" is not a persecuted class. I was 260 pounds once, I know what it's like to be fat and have trouble with clothes, you know what fixes it for very little money and no lifestyle change? A trip to Goodwill.

You may be right that Wizards makes more short-term money by catering to this type of players who wander into stores without showering and their rear end-cracks hanging out, but I can't help but think in the long-term having these types of players be ubiquitous limits the ceiling of the game.

• Locked thread