Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Moon is available on Canadian Netflix for all you streaming needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Jummy posted:

Moon is not on Netflix, at least US Netflix and I wish people would stop recommending it because it gives me a few seconds of hope and then sadness.

It comes up on Netflix sporadically, its always on my watch list. I believe it is on Amazon Prime now.

Also Innerspace is fantastic, Martin Short is one of the best physical comedians of all time. I watched it with my dad when I was a kid and I still yell 'I'M POSSESSED' if I knock something over.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

mod sassinator posted:

Check out Forbidden Planet. It's not on Netflix but is free on Amazon prime's streaming service. It is an astonishingly good sci fi flick from the mid 50's. Gene Roddenberry was heavily influenced by it when he created the original Star Trek. It really feels almost like a prequel to Star Trek with a bunch of humans piloting a space craft through deep space and investigating strange happenings. The cast, effects, etc. are all top notch. Sure the robot is a little hokey now, but it works surprisingly well in the story. Definitely worth a watch--if your dad is a child of the 40's and 50's I would be shocked if he hasn't seen and enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y4crGU7dkg

I generally hate old movies but you should definitely check this one out.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
How does Netflix manage to get any new subscribers?

I was considering signing up for Hulu Plus, and then decided to first check out Netflix and see how the streaming content compared to what's available for Hulu. But apparently Netflix requires you to sign up for a free month before you actually find out what's available on the website. It's a website with some unknown number of movies and tv shows, which you might possibly like, and you have to give a credit card to even find out what they are.

I can't think of a single other website which requires you to give a credit number to find out what the website is actually selling. And yet somehow, they remain in business.

Years ago, I was a Netflix subscriber. At the time, I would pay $25 a month or some such amount, and get DVDs in the mail. I have no idea if Netflix even still mails out DVDs. You'd think this would be mentioned on the website, but it isn't. At the time, Netflix had a selection of 100,000 or so movies and tv episodes. Now?

"What's the selection like? We have thousands of other movies & TV episodes".

From 100,000 down to "thousands", not a good sign. Also, I wonder what makes these movies and tv episodes "other".

With its utter lack of information and the attempt to get a credit card before you even know what the service is offering, the website comes across like a scam. If I didn't already know Netflix was (or used to be) an actual large legitimate company, I certainly wouldn't consider signing up with them.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

That's pretty standard procedure for a lot of places. Sign up for the free trial and then hope you forget to cancel it and well in for a penny in for a pound

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Orange Sunshine posted:

How does Netflix manage to get any new subscribers?

I was considering signing up for Hulu Plus, and then decided to first check out Netflix and see how the streaming content compared to what's available for Hulu. But apparently Netflix requires you to sign up for a free month before you actually find out what's available on the website. It's a website with some unknown number of movies and tv shows, which you might possibly like, and you have to give a credit card to even find out what they are.

I can't think of a single other website which requires you to give a credit number to find out what the website is actually selling. And yet somehow, they remain in business.

Years ago, I was a Netflix subscriber. At the time, I would pay $25 a month or some such amount, and get DVDs in the mail. I have no idea if Netflix even still mails out DVDs. You'd think this would be mentioned on the website, but it isn't. At the time, Netflix had a selection of 100,000 or so movies and tv episodes. Now?

"What's the selection like? We have thousands of other movies & TV episodes".

From 100,000 down to "thousands", not a good sign. Also, I wonder what makes these movies and tv episodes "other".

With its utter lack of information and the attempt to get a credit card before you even know what the service is offering, the website comes across like a scam. If I didn't already know Netflix was (or used to be) an actual large legitimate company, I certainly wouldn't consider signing up with them.

Check instantwatcher.com for a list of movies on streaming at Netflix. I agree it is pretty crappy how they treat non-subscribers. However the streaming service is really nice these days. Don't expect to find too many recently released big box office hits, but I would be surprised if you couldn't find at least a half dozen or so interesting films a month.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

They still do have a DVD mailing option and it has literally every movie ever made. It's just the streaming part that can have good and bad times.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's because an entire of year of Netflix costs less than most peoples cable for a single month, so NO ONE GIVES A poo poo.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

red19fire posted:

It comes up on Netflix sporadically, its always on my watch list. I believe it is on Amazon Prime now.

Also Innerspace is fantastic, Martin Short is one of the best physical comedians of all time. I watched it with my dad when I was a kid and I still yell 'I'M POSSESSED' if I knock something over.

Seriously? I can't believe I've missed it on there. But really like whoever else said, I should just buy it since it's amazing.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
A Young Doctor's Notebook was OK. It had some decent laughs and a clever frame story, and I admire the audacity of making a dramedy about brutal backwoods medicine in early 1900s Russia, but it never really goes anywhere with it and it just...ends. It's only two hours long so it's not that much of an investment and getting to watch Jon Hamm and Daniel Radcliffe bicker with each other constantly is worth the price of admission.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's because an entire of year of Netflix costs less than most peoples cable for a single month, so NO ONE GIVES A poo poo.

Two of my friends refuse to sign up for Netflix because they think it isn't worth it while urironically eating a burger King meal that cost them more than a months sub.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

WastedJoker posted:

Two of my friends refuse to sign up for Netflix because they think it isn't worth it while urironically eating a burger King meal that cost them more than a months sub.

Haha yeah, there are months I don't watch Netflix at all but I share it with my sister so to me it's worth the $8 a month since I can afford it and she really can't. I had a friend once tell me I was throwing my money away doing Netflix, as we sat at the bar and he was on his fourth $6 drink of the night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's eight bucks you don't even think about for what's basically a VOD cable channel. I refuse to pay for cable when Netflix exists.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

WastedJoker posted:

Medullah posted:

I had a friend once tell me I was throwing my money away doing Netflix, as we sat at the bar and he was on his fourth $6 drink of the night.

I think the lesson learned here is that people are generally terrible at assessing value.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I spend more on a six pack of beer that lasts me one night than I do on a month of Netflix.

People bitch about Spotify Premium costing $10 a month when it gives you access to like 90% of the music in the world, especially new releases.

This generation has gotten really bad at cost-benefit analysis.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

precision posted:

People bitch about Spotify Premium costing $10 a month when it gives you access to like 90% of the music in the world, especially new releases.

Eh, the alternative there is still having access to all that music, but having to listen to ads. I would probably use a free version of netflix with ads.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

I spend more on a six pack of beer that lasts me one night than I do on a month of Netflix.

This generation has gotten really bad at cost-benefit analysis.

Spotify Premium is kind of a bad deal now though because you can get mobile streaming from the free version.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

wa27 posted:

Eh, the alternative there is still having access to all that music, but having to listen to ads. I would probably use a free version of netflix with ads.

I wouldn't. I watched something on Hulu the other day and the number of ads annoyed the crap out of me.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I wouldn't. I watched something on Hulu the other day and the number of ads annoyed the crap out of me.

Doesn't hulu plus still have ads? That's always been a major reason why I don't pony up the money for it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yes, it does. It's mind-boggling.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Hulu Plus is a ripoff, I agree, but it's a ripoff that gives you commercial-free access to a big chunk of the Criterion Collection.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

computer parts posted:

Spotify Premium is kind of a bad deal now though because you can get mobile streaming from the free version.

Well, I don't have unlimited data plan so the Offline Mode that turns my phone into a 2,000 song mixtape is worth it to me.

Also, the ads can get seriously annoying and break up the flow/mood of an album for me. :shrug:

bartok
May 10, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

I just want to point out that $8 would buy you a lot of Burger King.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

bartok posted:

Have you been to a Burger King lately because that's like the price of a regular meal there.

edit: in a state with a really low cost of living.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

bartok posted:

Fast food prices in the states are ridiculously low though. Here in Canada you'd probably get one combo for $8.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Depends what you get. An actual meal like a Whopper with drink and fries is $7-10 dollars. Or you could get 8 dollar cheeseburgers and hate yourself.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Magnus Gallant posted:

Doesn't hulu plus still have ads? That's always been a major reason why I don't pony up the money for it.

The only reason to get Hulu Plus is if you want to use the Hulu app. Apart from that it's a terrible service.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

I like Hulu Plus, the Criterion stuff is great and I really don't mind the commercials since they total to about 1 commercial break on actual TV.

Some movies have a poo poo ton of them though, stay away from Grosse Point Blank.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Please Vote For Me is hilariously entertaining and you should all watch it. It's like House of Cards at a Chinese Elementary School.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

New favorite recommended category:

"Steamy Independent Movies"
based on your interest in "Antichrist"

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I tried watching something on Crackle one day and I just couldn't do it. The movies have ads like every 5 minutes or so.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

HP Hovercraft posted:

Silent Running

mod sassinator posted:

Check out Forbidden Planet. It's not on Netflix but is free on Amazon prime's streaming service. It is an astonishingly good sci fi flick from the mid 50's. Gene Roddenberry was heavily influenced by it when he created the original Star Trek. It really feels almost like a prequel to Star Trek with a bunch of humans piloting a space craft through deep space and investigating strange happenings. The cast, effects, etc. are all top notch. Sure the robot is a little hokey now, but it works surprisingly well in the story. Definitely worth a watch--if your dad is a child of the 40's and 50's I would be shocked if he hasn't seen and enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y4crGU7dkg

These are both good suggestions, and I remember watching them with him on VHS when I was a little kid so it'll be like a trip down memory lane. Moon might also be an option, and I know he liked that since we saw it in theaters when it came out and I do have it on blu-ray.

e: If anyone else has any suggestions, stuff that was released (or re-released) in the late 50s to early 70s would probably be the best bet. He's from the late 50s but grew up in a really small town where they didn't get the film reels until five or so years after the big cities.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Personperson14 posted:

I tried watching something on Crackle one day and I just couldn't do it. The movies have ads like every 5 minutes or so.

The only thing worth watching on Crackle are web shorts less than 5 minutes long because their ads kick in at 5 minutes exactly, and it's the same ad everytime. Anything longer and they'll cut in mid-sentence for ads, even if there's 30s left in the video. Its actually worse than YouTube, it's incredible.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

New favorite recommended category:

"Steamy Independent Movies"
based on your interest in "Antichrist"

:stonk:

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Personperson14 posted:

Adblock Plus blocks out the commercials on Crackle.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

The disney atlantis movie is surprisingly good, i had no idea. Like im pretty sure The Core is a rip off of this movie

E its also got elements of fern gully/avatar, the matrix, and interstella 5555

Ahhhh, Interstella 5555 should be on netflix, it's a beautiful thing.

:allears:

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

sleepingbuddha posted:

World's Greatest Dad, written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait and starring Robin Williams is excellent. It's a dark comedy about a frumpy teacher with a very douchey son. I don't want to give anymore away. It's at 89% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Decided to give this movie a try. I cried. I was just..too dark for me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Adblock Plus blocks out the commercials on Crackle.

But not Hulu for some reason.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Oh hey Capote is on streaming now. That was a really cool movie. The guys playing the killers were just super creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

the posted:

Please Vote For Me is hilariously entertaining and you should all watch it. It's like House of Cards at a Chinese Elementary School.

This was certainly interesting from some standpoint, but it was basically some kids having a class election in a school?

• Locked thread