Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dante Logos posted:

I don't know how weird it is but has anyone noticed that no one has referred to Gaim as a Kamen Rider. It is Beat Rider, Energy Rider, and so on. Might be interesting if he has to earn the title in order to be called a full fledged Kamen Rider.

And Armored Rider. It's not that strange. We just came off Wizard who was always a mahoutsukai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I don't think anyone in OOO was ever called a Kamen Rider, outside of the movies.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, it's not atypical for a Heisei Rider to never actually be called one in his series, but since Gaim has had so many "x Rider" names, I'm expecting Kouta to declare himself a Kamen Rider at some point.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I have a feeling we're building to Kamen Rider. The first arc was the Beat Riders arc, the second was the Energy Riders arc, the third might be something new (Helheim Riders?) and the fourth might culminate in the Kamen Rider arc. This is a heroes journey, and Kouta ain't there yet. He's conflicted, he's still trying to figure out what his role is.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Motto posted:

Yeah, it's not atypical for a Heisei Rider to never actually be called one in his series, but since Gaim has had so many "x Rider" names, I'm expecting Kouta to declare himself a Kamen Rider at some point.

Which is bizarre because W, OOO, Fourze, and Wizard are all in the same universe and one assumes Gaim is too but in the near future. Fourze established Kamen Riders as a Known Thing and I assume that someone would make the connection at some point.

Of course, maybe they're just called Armored Riders because they share the aesthetic but they aren't the solitary heroes that Kamen Riders are known to be.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Potsticker posted:

You're an idiot I was clearly talking about the kids in the show who buy lockseeds and battle with the monsters.

But it isn't kids who are the ones buying them in the show at all? It's the teenage beat riders who don't see it as a collectathon game but as a way to control territory so the fact that the monsters are all similar doesn't actually matter at all.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But it isn't kids who are the ones buying them in the show at all? It's the teenage beat riders who don't see it as a collectathon game but as a way to control territory so the fact that the monsters are all similar doesn't actually matter at all.

I hate to break this to you, but teens are kids.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

SpazmasterX posted:

Of course, maybe they're just called Armored Riders because they share the aesthetic but they aren't the solitary heroes that Kamen Riders are known to be.

They're Beat Riders with armor. That's it, that's the entire reason.

By the time Oren stepped in the name had caught on with the community in-show so now it's a blanket term for everyone with a similar getup.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Apparently neither Kaito or Kouta are teens, they're both 20. Which only makes Kaito's wardrobe and attitude more hilarious.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dante Logos posted:

I don't know how weird it is but has anyone noticed that no one has referred to Gaim as a Kamen Rider. It is Beat Rider, Energy Rider, and so on. Might be interesting if he has to earn the title in order to be called a full fledged Kamen Rider.

Lots of Heisei series don't use the Kamen Rider title in-series. Only Ryuki, Blade, Decade, Double, OOO (and only for Birth) and Fourze use it with regularity. Kiva had a single reference to it (Nago saying he uses a Rider System to become Ixa), Kabuto has "Masked/Rider Mode" but never uses the proper term, and Wizard only uses it during the crossover episodes and movies, never during its own plot.

It's likely Gaim will use it only in crossovers, just like Wizard.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Motto posted:

Apparently neither Kaito or Kouta are teens, they're both 20. Which only makes Kaito's wardrobe and attitude more hilarious.

Age is just a number, man.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Potsticker posted:

Kaito and Kouta both look like they're easily in their early 20's. I don't know about the rest of the cast, but the two main riders are definitely not young teenagers, and don't act like it.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Flameingblack posted:

Kaito and Kouta both look like they're easily in their early 20's. I don't know about the rest of the cast, but the two main riders are definitely not young teenagers, and don't act like it.

Which honestly explains why Kouta is running around trying to get a job. Really doesn't explain Kaito though.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Lots of Heisei series don't use the Kamen Rider title in-series. Only Ryuki, Blade, Decade, Double, OOO (and only for Birth) and Fourze use it with regularity. Kiva had a single reference to it (Nago saying he uses a Rider System to become Ixa), Kabuto has "Masked/Rider Mode" but never uses the proper term, and Wizard only uses it during the crossover episodes and movies, never during its own plot.

It's likely Gaim will use it only in crossovers, just like Wizard.

Ah. I was drawing this from Double, Fourze, Decade and OOOs since those are the ones I have watched. I thought that was a thing.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Dante Logos posted:

Which honestly explains why Kouta is running around trying to get a job. Really doesn't explain Kaito though.
Especially since his backstory is his parents losing their jobs but Baron's hangout looks high class as heck and Kaito never really seems to do anything.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Flameingblack posted:

Especially since his backstory is his parents losing their jobs but Baron's hangout looks high class as heck and Kaito never really seems to do anything.

Seriously, have you SEEN that car they have just sitting around in their pad? Thing looks like it costs a million bucks alone.

Guys, I think Kaito might have been secretly working for Yggdrasill this whole time. :tinfoil:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

It's entirely possible Yggdrassil inbursed the workers they displaced with a large sum of money so that they didnt go broke during construction or something.

Of course, the most likely reason is we need visual cues to establish Baron as the top dog team and what better way to do that then show off Baron's swanky pad compared to a shot of team Gaim's run down garage.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

You're right, but that still doesn't make the fact that the Invess used in the Invess Game look similar a bad thing.

Like that had no real baring on my point. In setting the Invess game isn't some widespread gotta-catch-them-all game it's a super expensive tool used as part of this fair exclusive group of people (Beat Riders) as a means of advancing themselves and their territory. No one outside of that group is buying them to battle monsters and they're not treating it like a pokemon game. None of them would come close to caring that the monsters look and act the same.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 5, 2014

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Where Widard's Blurays and DVDs had those funky idol video things, Gaim's have this:

(This is just the preview of it. Voloume 1's bonus is always the production announcement press conference)

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

FortMax posted:

Where Widard's Blurays and DVDs had those funky idol video things, Gaim's have this:

(This is just the preview of it. Voloume 1's bonus is always the production announcement press conference)

We could have had extreme mini-biking as our show's competitive activity, but noooo, we had to get dumb CGI Invess fights and amateur dancing. :( Amateur at least until that last episode with the collaborative event, anyway.

(Yutaka Kobayashi is the greatest person outside of his Kaito role, I swear.)

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 5, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

melodicwaffle posted:

We could have had extreme mini-biking as our show's competitive activity, but noooo, we had to get dumb CGI Invess fights and amateur dancing. :( Amateur at least until that last episode with the collaborative event, anyway.

(Yutaka Kobayashi is the greatest person outside of his Kaito role, I swear.)
I just read an interview where he was in the running to be Captain Marvelous but turned it down to do something else. He would have made a drat fine Captain Marvelous.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Flameingblack posted:

I just read an interview where he was in the running to be Captain Marvelous but turned it down to do something else. He would have made a drat fine Captain Marvelous.

My wife and I did call him faux-Marvelous when Gaim started.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Whenever their belts announce something it's the voice of the DJ, right?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Maxwell Adams posted:

Whenever their belts announce something it's the voice of the DJ, right?

No. The voices for the Sengoku drivers are done by Seiji Hiratoko (who I can't find anything on) and the Genesis Driver lines are voiced by Shinichiro Miki (has been in a shitload of things).

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

No. The voices for the Sengoku drivers are done by Seiji Hiratoko (who I can't find anything on) and the Genesis Driver lines are voiced by Shinichiro Miki (has been in a shitload of things).

For Kamen Rider fans you might know him best as Sieg in Den-O.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Shinichiro Miki is James (of Pokemon Team Rocket fame), Ryusei Date (Super Robot Wars), Lockon Stratos (Gundam 00), and Batman.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mikl posted:

Shinichiro Miki is James (of Pokemon Team Rocket fame), Ryusei Date (Super Robot Wars), Lockon Stratos (Gundam 00), and Batman.

Good Real Lockon or Fake Step-Lockon ?

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Good Real Lockon or Fake Step-Lockon ?

Both of them.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Mikl posted:

Ahahaha, so Lockon is saying Lock-On?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Mikl posted:

Man I knew Ryouma was a nerd with his belts and all but god drat man. :reject:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mikl posted:

I find it sort of hilarious that they got one of the best VOs in the industry to do a bit part like the belt voices. :allears:

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Tessho Genda had bittiest of all bit parts: a single line for the MagiPhone in Gokaiger. (The other MagiPhone lines in Gokaiger were recorded six years earlier for Magiranger, so they don't count)

Apollove
May 31, 2013
Watched the raw of the new episode.

THAT FIGHT. THAT MICCHY BEIN A SCUMBAG. SO GOOD. OH MAN EVEN BETTER THAN LAST WEEK

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So that episode.
Sid is still a gigantic scumbag, Micchy is still a two-timing mother fucker and Yggdrassil has the ability to pretty much level the entire area and potentially has a plan to just ship everyone they can on some sort of ark is things get REALLY bad.
Nothing about the original premise of Gaim prepared me for this.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Fruit Fighters episode 21

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, that's unusual. Kouta won against someone who was stronger than he was without getting a powerup. Nice change of pace, really.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress you Micchy and your terrible jumpers.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well, that's unusual. Kouta won against someone who was stronger than he was without getting a powerup. Nice change of pace, really.

If my understanding of the preview is correct, Kouta is also going to use the lockseed he took after beating Sid, too. Gaim is pretty great.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Another stellar episode, week after week man, week after week. :allears:

That fight was great, I especially liked the part where they are exchanging arrows that was shot from above. And finally a rider kick used against a real villain!

I wonder if Micchy was in on all of that or it was just Sid acting on his own? Does he know about the fact that Yggdrassil can just level the city in case of an Inves infestation? And a giant crack is going to open next episode? Does it have anything to do with the guy with the glowing sword in the blurry photo? Are there Inves with intelligence planning to invade or something? :ohdear:

Can't wait for next week. :dance:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Another stellar episode, week after week man, week after week. :allears:

That fight was great, I especially liked the part where they are exchanging arrows that was shot from above. And finally a rider kick used against a real villain!

I wonder if Micchy was in on all of that or it was just Sid acting on his own? Does he know about the fact that Yggdrassil can just level the city in case of an Inves infestation? And a giant crack is going to open next episode? Does it have anything to do with the guy with the glowing sword in the blurry photo? Are there Inves with intelligence planning to invade or something? :ohdear:

Can't wait for next week. :dance:
Micchy must know, since that's one of the first things he asks his brother about when he confronts him about showing Kota the city. At least, I would assume that's one of the two things he mentions since I don't remember them ever explaining either of those things prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

Micchy must know, since that's one of the first things he asks his brother about when he confronts him about showing Kota the city. At least, I would assume that's one of the two things he mentions since I don't remember them ever explaining either of those things prior.

You're right, Micchy calls one of the projects the "Scaler system" and Sid calls the super weapon the "Scaler-electromagnetic weapon" so they are pretty clearly the same thing. Still, I wonder if he has been told that it's for leveling the city or for some other purpose? Still, this is probably just me not wanting Micchy to be such a scumbag. :sigh:

• Locked thread