Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
One on one instruction is useless when you're dealing with snake oil like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I had a friend train at a few places around Thailand and he spoke very highly of Team Quest at Chiang Mai. Apparently it's either a good muay thai gym or a good MMA gym depending on what you want it to be.

I was going to suggest Team Quest too. An old friend of mine is the head MMA coach, he is a great instructor with a lot of experience. That said, The Veler don't worry about not speaking Thai. Most of the gyms are oriented around farangs so there will be enough English spoken for you to get by just about anywhere.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Look up Lanna Muay Thai in Chiang Mai, that's the camp one of the goons went to iirc.

Fighters from our gym really like Kobra Muay Thai on Koh Phangan, too.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bangkero posted:

I've ordered a few gis from here: http://www.karatedepot.com/ . They were easy to deal with. I've also ordered from here: http://www.judogis.com/ and he was a pain in the rear end to deal with (I do not recommend).

I normally buy from Budo Videos if I'm springing for a good Mizuno or ordering stuff like rashguards. Their service is good and they have a small storefront you can go to in Orange County if you live in SoCal. But for my club I have an account with Fuji Sports. They give a pretty decent discount if you have a bulk account (which is easy to get, just order five gis in your first order and then you get the discount on all future orders) and their gis are fairly cheap, but good quality. So that's what I encourage my white belts to buy, since I hate to ask college kids to drop $100+ on a gi when just starting out.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Re: uniformchat

What we really need is a complete thread devoted to awesome spats.

and so on.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I have some worn in rainbow spats but will never wear anything that says "pony" on it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

origami posted:

I have some worn in rainbow spats but will never wear anything that says "pony" on it.
I want super tight bro grinding shorts modeled after this pony:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7P6ut6HPR8

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

You all have weak spatz game. My spatz collection includes the chicken ones, rainbow ones, urban camo ones and octopus leggings.

I really want something completely flamboyantly unmanly like pink with purple teddy bears or something. I've also grappled in pink mauy thai shorts, rainbow spats and a purple under armour T. Most dudes find it funny as poo poo, but when there's a new dude in class gently caress do they get skittish.

All I'm sayin' is if you're going to grind on sweaty dudes you might as well dress fabulously.

EDIT:

For Gi chat. You can't go wrong with "Kimono", "Tatami" or "Fuji" for good value imo. I've got the latter two and nearly everyone else I train with have the former. Tatami also make an ultra light competition Gi that despite it's name, holds up really well as an every day practice gi and it's almost as light as my old as poo poo karate one I got for 10 bucks from a mate for my first BJJ class.

BJJHQ.com has awesome deals on Gis so good idea to buy one you like and then get a second one for your rotation a few weeks later.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 7, 2014

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
It's almost time for March Matness. I'm going to do a thread again like last year for NCAAs. But before wrestlers can get that far they have to earn spots at nationals via their conference tournaments this weekend. Everybody but the Pac-12 is wrestling this weekend. The only conference I couldn't find streams for is the EWL. Some require subscriptions, other are free. This weekend and the NCAA tournament in two weeks are the most grappling you'll be able to find on TV all year.

Here's the schedule for this weekend. All Times are Eastern
Saturday, March 8th:
SoCon Championships, at Campbell, 9:00 AM SoCon Sports (free stream)
ACC Championships, at Virginia Tech, 10:00 AM ESPN3
EIWA Championships Session 1, at Penn, 10:00 AM FloWrestling Flocast
EWL Championships, at Cleveland State, 10:00 AM
Big Ten Championships Session 1, at Wisconsin, 11:00 AM Big 10 Digital Network
MAC Championships Session 1, at Kent State, 12:00 PM FloWrestling Flocast
WWC Championships, at Utah Valley, 2:00 PM Utah Valley TV Stream (I think Free stream)
Big 12 Championships, at Oklahoma, 4:00 PM Campus Insiders (free stream), Finals on Fox Sports Net
Big Ten Championships Session 2, at Wisconsin, 6:00 PM Big 10 Digital Network

Sunday, March 9:
EIWA Championships Session 2, at Penn, 10:00 AM FloWrestling Flocast
Big Ten Championships Session 3, at Wisconsin, 12:00 PM Big 10 Network
MAC Championships Session 2, at Kent State, 12:00 PM FloWrestling Flocast
EIWA Championships Session 3, at Penn, 3:45 PM FloWrestling Flocast

Even Iowa's basketball team is getting excited about it.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
what's wrong with wearing legs instead of elfpants?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Dallas BJJ goons: Jacare Cavalcanti is going to be at Octagon for a seminar on March 22. Cost is $140 for non-members

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.
Anyone have any recommendations for some decent muay thai pads that are cheap?

I've a friend who wants to learn muay thai but can't make the classes at my gym so I'm looking to teach her some stuff on my own but most of the pads I've seen are pretty pricey. I taught a bunch of stuff today and just blocked with my gloves but pads would be nice...

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Meister MMA has thai pads that are pretty cheap for the quality. I got the focus mitts from them a few years back and they're still good to use considering I've used them regularly. There's also ebay.

Thoguh posted:

Even Iowa's basketball team is getting excited about it.

ha nice gif but the first thing I noticed is that his arm is trailing. I always get called out on that with my tai otoshi since I'm too focused on setting up my lower body (yeah I know it's a hand throw but whatevs).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I hate being sick, I hadn't been able to go to the dojo for the last few days :(

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I feel you. I missed the whole of last week with an acute lumbago attack that twisted my spine into an S shape! It was cool (not).

Sitting still sucks, yet 5 minutes into training yesterday the stiffness and pain just vanished. Maybe I should just get more sickleave from the office and train all day every day instead to, you now, rehab my poor back.

The Veler
Dec 26, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I had a friend train at a few places around Thailand and he spoke very highly of Team Quest at Chiang Mai. Apparently it's either a good muay thai gym or a good MMA gym depending on what you want it to be.

eine dose socken posted:

Look up Lanna Muay Thai in Chiang Mai, that's the camp one of the goons went to iirc.

Fighters from our gym really like Kobra Muay Thai on Koh Phangan, too.

Ok, great! Thanks a lot for the ideas, I'll for sure look into these gyms. Where did your friends stay? I've been told to rent an apartment and I've also been told to stay at a B&B. I've never been to Thailand so I'm not sure what to do.

Oracle posted:

Not to give you the runaround, but try in the SE Asia thread in Tourism & Travel. I've seen similar questions pop up before (Phukhet is in the south of Thailand, Chiang Mai is in the north, several hundred miles away).

This may end up being the answer to my housing question.

Thanks everyone!

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Now that Im drawing near another BJJ tourney, I want to transition from my 3 time a week 5 x 5 program to a lifting program thats twice or once a week to make time for more cardio, rolling, etc. Any suggestions?

Also I am visiting family on the big island of HI for a week, where should I go for BJJ?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Has anyone here tried Ken-do? If so whats it like in comparison to Aikido weapon training?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Thrasophius posted:

Has anyone here tried Ken-do? If so whats it like in comparison to Aikido weapon training?

Kendo is a fencing sport where you're trying to for reals hit a dude in the head with a wooden stick and you have to wear full-body armor so you're not severely injured by said stick. Aikido is...none of those things.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 11, 2014

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Pretty much. Everyone should try kendo at least once, just to learn to scream shamelessly.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
More combat sports should factor your war cry as a scoring component.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Thrasophius posted:

I practice Kendo, but I don't really know anything about Aikido to make a fair comparison. Do you have any specific questions?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Now that Im drawing near another BJJ tourney, I want to transition from my 3 time a week 5 x 5 program to a lifting program thats twice or once a week to make time for more cardio, rolling, etc. Any suggestions?

Also I am visiting family on the big island of HI for a week, where should I go for BJJ?

There was a lifting chat some pages ago and I posted this

quote:

Personally I train 2x a week and I use a program that is modified from SS
day 1 :
5x2 power clean
3x5 squat
3x5 over head press
1x5 deadlift

day 2 :
5x2 power clean
3x5 squats (I do front squats on that day)
3x5 bench
3x10 pull-ups (add weight if you can do more than 3x10)

I found this is a program I can do 2x a week while doing judo and other sports without being half dead. It gave me nice strenght gains and appreciable size gains (but I don't eat enough to get real size gains). Best program I've been on in quite a while and I'll keep it as my regular program during the judo season (basically all the time except 2-3 months of summer). Things I tried to put in perspective : Westside for skinny bastards, some of Alfalfa's programs, "normal" SS, 5x5 and a couple of random programs.

It's still what I'm doing now and I had some good gains (both size/strength wise) but I'm starting to get tired of it so will probably switch back to westside for skinny bastards or Candito 6 weeks program as soon as judo season is over since those program are awesome but totally unsustainable as an amateur while training grappling IMHO

If you're doing 5x5 the program posted above will probably sound familiar (except for the power cleans) so it would be an easy switch. If you don't like power cleans, substitute them for depth jumps on one day and some sort of row the other day.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Thrasophius posted:

Kendo is a budo and sport which is point based utilizing the shinai. The movements in kendo make this point clear. Kendo does have some historical kata used to teach the basics of learning the sword properly.

Aikido is a budo that could be called arms length grappling (I use the term grappling loosely here.) Weapons training is typically how to use a sword or jo within the confines of Aikido's pedagogy and movement.

Each of them is rather unique in how the weapons are used in their respective martial art. Neither really deal in depth with how the weapons are properly used from a combative sense. Does this answer your question?

Xguard86 posted:

More combat sports should factor your war cry as a scoring component.
It would be nice but I've never really attempted a decent kiai with a mouth guard on.

A lot of the koryu have very different ways that they perform their kiais.
Maniwa Nen Ryu
Katori Shinto Ryu
Toda ha Buko Ryu
Kashima Shinto Ryu
Jigen Ryu

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
At the gym, some girl was wearing a spiderman shortsleeve compression top and was alternately texting and reviewing her kungfu side punch form in the mirror wall. Training martial arts owns.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX
Every few months, I like to inject a little bit of the HEMA world into this thread. This time, here's a demonstration and theoretical & mechanical explanation of one of the 'hidden strikes' of Liechtenauer's system of fencing with a longsword.

Don't judge me for the intro music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSPv5HlY8Q8

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

A flying piece of posted:

Every few months, I like to inject a little bit of the HEMA world into this thread. This time, here's a demonstration and theoretical & mechanical explanation of one of the 'hidden strikes' of Liechtenauer's system of fencing with a longsword.

This is really cool, thanks for posting it.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Best friday workout in a long while, we just walked around my new living area with a girl who goes to the same gym for two hours. Walking rules. Shame I need someone to basically drag me into it (or jogging), because the first 15-20mins always suck but after you get into it it's frigging awesome.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

A flying piece of posted:

that looks fun, I always enjoy it when you come with some cool HEMA stuff

Gordo Frederico
Mar 15, 2014

by Ralp
Anyone here ever train at Rob Khans Gracie Tampa? I swung by the gym and it looked great. The only problem is I have no athletic experience whatsoever. Im about 5'9 200 pounds and out of shape. I know the promo says they will teach anyone, but I have heard that they prefer people with some experience in either school athletic programs or combat sports. I don't want sign a contract and than be miserable when no one wants to work with me. Can anyone who has trained there shed some light on this?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Gordo Frederico posted:

Anyone here ever train at Rob Khans Gracie Tampa? I swung by the gym and it looked great. The only problem is I have no athletic experience whatsoever. Im about 5'9 200 pounds and out of shape. I know the promo says they will teach anyone, but I have heard that they prefer people with some experience in either school athletic programs or combat sports. I don't want sign a contract and than be miserable when no one wants to work with me. Can anyone who has trained there shed some light on this?

I train there. Its absolutely untrue that they prefer people with experience, coming in with no experience and out of shape is perfectly cool with Rob and everyone else. Its an awesome place, you won't regret signing up there.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
March Matness is upon us. The most grappling you'll be able to see on TV all year. Every match will either be on ESPN or available for streaming on ESPN3. I'm running a Goon Fantasy League for it again this year and encourage everybody to head over to Punchsport Pagoda and enter a team. As always, it is just for forum bragging rights, no entry fee or prizes or anything.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Don't everybody rush over at once.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Man, what happened to the hokies this year. :smith:

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Senor P. posted:

Kendo is a budo and sport which is point based utilizing the shinai. The movements in kendo make this point clear. Kendo does have some historical kata used to teach the basics of learning the sword properly.

Aikido is a budo that could be called arms length grappling (I use the term grappling loosely here.) Weapons training is typically how to use a sword or jo within the confines of Aikido's pedagogy and movement.

Each of them is rather unique in how the weapons are used in their respective martial art. Neither really deal in depth with how the weapons are properly used from a combative sense. Does this answer your question?

I've done some Aikido so have trained for using the sword and jo in close quarters was just looking for how kendo was by comparison to see if the training crosses over but that doesn't seem the case. Thanks for answering.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ligur posted:

Best friday workout in a long while, we just walked around my new living area with a girl who goes to the same gym for two hours. Walking rules. Shame I need someone to basically drag me into it (or jogging), because the first 15-20mins always suck but after you get into it it's frigging awesome.

I walk 30 minutes at least every day. I find it helps keep me sane if nothing else. I live in an area with big gently caress off hills too, so its pretty decent even though I'm not working hard cardio wise. It's kind of funny though when I have to walk anywhere with someone. They always end up puffed trying to keep pace.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Complete newbie, I don't even know where to go to train. All these places seem to offer very generous introduction packages, one even seems to have a month of free training. How much does this kind of stuff end up costing for weekly/monthly training? I'm talking BJJ/Grappling sorts of things. I'd much not like to get into striking, as I've had multiple concussions from other things.

I used to take Tae Kwan Do as a kid and made it up to around brown belt there, so I have some MA experience, but a lot of it is long forgotten aside from a few reflex parries and grapples.

Mostly I just want a workout routine that is also doing something interesting.

I should add that I'm in the Western Mass area. I did a cursory google of the area but I have no idea who's legit and who's shady.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Zyla posted:

Complete newbie, I don't even know where to go to train. All these places seem to offer very generous introduction packages, one even seems to have a month of free training. How much does this kind of stuff end up costing for weekly/monthly training? I'm talking BJJ/Grappling sorts of things. I'd much not like to get into striking, as I've had multiple concussions from other things.

I used to take Tae Kwan Do as a kid and made it up to around brown belt there, so I have some MA experience, but a lot of it is long forgotten aside from a few reflex parries and grapples.

Mostly I just want a workout routine that is also doing something interesting.

I should add that I'm in the Western Mass area. I did a cursory google of the area but I have no idea who's legit and who's shady.

The month of free training is a good sign, it means they have some faith in their ability to not scare you away. The standard advice here is to not take anything that isn't either a. highly recommended by someone you trust or b. lets you try out once (or twice. or three times) before seeing your cash. And b. is much better than a. As for 'legit' vs. 'shady' that can mean some things. I mean there's 'woman don't train at that gym because they're (quite reasonably) afraid of being assaulted by the hypermasculine meatheads who train there' shady and then there's 'we will train our grasshoppers to defeat 20 gaijin pigs with a single kiai, then next month they will learn the ancient Jewish arts' shady, which is pretty much harmless but also not, you know, ideal. Avoiding that sort of poo poo usually means finding a sport gym, e.g. one that regularly has to test their poo poo against other practitioners to sanity check their own bullshit. Most BJJ, most judo, almost all boxing, and some MMA gyms fit this mold.

Costs vary regionally, so I'm not much help there.

Depending on what you want out of your workout, a grapple sport will probably be best. A good boxing gym or the like will kick your rear end with cardio, but you could also just skip rope yourself if that's all you're looking for.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

how much does the gracie name really mean? Is it just a branded style that is $$$$?

I used to play pro baseball and had some injuries and am looking for something competitive to do that will toughen up my body and kick the poo poo out of me, without much long term damage or risk. It seems like a lot of the ground based disciplines offer that.

As for sketchy i just mean the quality and legitimacy of the facility/trainers. I went through several karate schools where senseis were forced out because they were found to be frauds, when I was young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

For every cool Gracie that you should definitely train with (renzo, roger) there is a lovely gracie that you should avoid at all costs (ralph, cesar), so the name is pretty much meaningless. BJJ is a blend of about four different jiujitsu lineages and the Gracies are only one of them, don't believe the marketing.

• Locked thread