Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

podcat posted:

Sadly forum moderators tell me I cant permaban people just because I dont like them every time I ask :( and so far the more, ehmm, colorful posters have been very careful about not breaking any rules directly :(

Make more rules then. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Paradox, Victoria 3 should be called project victoria, just to see the forums go into hysterics wondering if it is a bluff (they wouldn't name it that, would they?), or a doublebluff (they want us to think they wouldn't name it that!), or a triplebluff...

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I would be right there demanding Paradox make a Dynamic Genocide System, instead of sticking so much to the historical Holocaust.

Look, I'm just saying that if Canada joined the Axis, then I should be able to do something about these Quebecois cores.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Level 10 forts are essentially indestructible in HoI3. I've seen provinces endure full years of continuous assault thanks to level 10 forts.

You need the AA too in my experience. Playing a custom game as France I somehow had the Germans break through in level 10 forts along the Belgian border, I think at Cannae? They did it with concentrated airpower.

In the Sweden scenario there was a strait crossing as well (full amphibious penalty), plus level 10 AA with radar, plus 3 units of air defense artillery attached to the corps HQ, meaning aircraft were unable to do appreciable damage.

But the really weird thing isn't the level 10 forts, it's that the AI just sort of wallows in inactivity if you halt its prescribed path anywhere. If it can't secure Denmark it won't take Norway, if it can't take Norway it won't DoW Netherlands/Belgium/Luxembourg, if it can't DoW the Low Countries it won't attack France, if it can't conquer France it can't attack the Soviet Union. In context this also makes no sense whatsoever because the historical reason for taking Norway was to secure Swedish iron ore which is a moot point really if Sweden's at war with Germany.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
So if Poland or France join the Axis, does Germany just do nothing all game?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

podcat posted:

Sadly forum moderators tell me I cant permaban people just because I dont like them every time I ask :( and so far the more, ehmm, colorful posters have been very careful about not breaking any rules directly :(

I always thought it was a shame that Paradox's moderation system lacks a Leper's Colony system and tends to just delete/remove offending posts/words. Sure, it's probably better for the company's PR image not to have a parade of proto-Hitlers on display, but can you just imagine the rap sheet on some Paradoxians? Besides, the best meltdowns tend to disappear in a short time.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I don't think France can join the Axis since it starts as an Allies member (maybe in a custom game you can do it?). If Poland joined the Axis it would probably just go straight for France, since it would have completed the "Poland is Axis" objective. But I admit I have not tried it.

I got the same result, Germany sits with its thumb in its rear end, by holding Denmark as Britain.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I would be right there demanding Paradox make a Dynamic Genocide System, instead of sticking so much to the historical Holocaust.

Wasn't there a Victoria 2 mod that did exactly this? That could "deport" (or some other euphemism) people of unaccepted cultures if the conditions were right

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

podcat posted:

Some rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm not arguing for "racial purity", but for the preservation of the indigenous European peoples.
I'm sure everyone featured here would have done the right thing and filled their country with muslims like today's Sweden.
I'm so glad that the Paradox development team is hard at work on feminist propaganda rather than fixing the game!
Cultural Marxism refers to the attempt to bring down capitalism by attacking the social institutions which support it, such as Christianity, gender roles, the traditional family, hierarchy/masculinity, and so on.

Then permaban that self-righteous little poo poo because he's parroting Anders Behring Breivik basically word for word.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

BBJoey posted:

Update on How We Changed the World: 2/5 threads are locked. Here are some choice quotes:

quote:

I'm not arguing for "racial purity", but for the preservation of the indigenous European peoples.

quote:

I'm sure everyone featured here would have done the right thing and filled their country with muslims like today's Sweden.

:godwinning:

quote:

I'm so glad that the Paradox development team is hard at work on feminist propaganda rather than fixing the game!

:biotruths:

quote:

For instancee hierarchy, authority, and conflict are part of the masculine sphere, whereas equality, consensus, and accommodation are inherently feminine. Because men have much more IQ variance and one man can impregnate multiple women, men are much more hierarchical and less egalitarian than women.

I missed this post. :stare: I really thought at least the western world had left those 19th century beliefs behind us somewhere in the last 70 years. Christ on a stick, where do these people come from? Do they spawn from some toxic industrial dumping ground, fully formed and with abhorrent ideas?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mortabis posted:

I don't think France can join the Axis since it starts as an Allies member (maybe in a custom game you can do it?). If Poland joined the Axis it would probably just go straight for France, since it would have completed the "Poland is Axis" objective. But I admit I have not tried it.

I got the same result, Germany sits with its thumb in its rear end, by holding Denmark as Britain.

I thought coups could get anyone to switch sides, even faction leaders?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

double nine posted:

I missed this post. :stare: I really thought at least the western world had left those 19th century beliefs behind us somewhere in the last 70 years. Christ on a stick, where do these people come from? Do they spawn from some toxic industrial dumping ground, fully formed and with abhorrent ideas?

The worst part is that in that thread there's maybe a 50/50 split between people who think he's a raving nutter and people who think he's bang-on the money. Paradox forums can be pretty bad.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ArchangeI posted:

Quite positively, I'd imagine. "It's more realistic", "The trains carrying Jews to Auschwitz were a major drain on German supply capacity" etc.

I'm more worried about the group that would argue it's sacrificing historical accuracy.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Holocaust deniers LOVE hoi

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

maev posted:

Holocaust deniers LOVE hoi

That's the downside of not including the holocaust in any form in the game, I guess.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The game needs a food resource, and special provinces for deep water ports.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wasn't there a Victoria 2 mod that did exactly this? That could "deport" (or some other euphemism) people of unaccepted cultures if the conditions were right
Maybe they did just mean deport? Ethnic cleansing through deporation works just as well as genocide, plus it's less likely to end up in the history books. I guess that depends on how it's modeled.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeoh posted:

I wonder how the forums would react if you added the Holocaust to HoI4.

"These mass murders are too rail roady" :v:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Maybe they did just mean deport? Ethnic cleansing through deporation works just as well as genocide, plus it's less likely to end up in the history books. I guess that depends on how it's modeled.

DECISION: ENACT IMMIGRATION QUOTAS

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

podcat posted:

You guys need more rules, then. Seriously, the state of the Paradox forums is really embarrassing sometimes. Your site shouldn't cater to the shameful parts of your fanbase like it often does. Those posts are very obviously white supremacist anyway, which is against the rules. Your mods should not let a "no I didn't mean racial purity, honest!" post justify inaction.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jazerus posted:

You guys need more rules, then. Seriously, the state of the Paradox forums is really embarrassing sometimes. Your site shouldn't cater to the shameful parts of your fanbase like it often does. Those posts are very obviously white supremacist anyway, which is against the rules. Your mods should not let a "no I didn't mean racial purity, honest!" post justify inaction.

Haha if you think the nazis are bad there you should see the world of tanks forums.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Agean90 posted:

DECISION: ENACT IMMIGRATION QUOTAS

You can't really represent American history in Victoria 2 without things like the Chinese Exclusion Act.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

It seems to be the case in every even slightly grognardy game. I play a decent amount of Wargame and the general chat that I get to see every time I log in before I turn it off is almost always ignorant poo poo of some sort. Maybe bigots have an attraction to games about time periods where their views weren't as reviled as they are today.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Haha if you think the nazis are bad there you should see the world of tanks forums.
As bad as the Paradox forums are they have yet to call the people who died in Tianamen square "whiny kids who deserved what they got".

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Kavak posted:

You can't really represent American history in Victoria 2 without things like the Chinese Exclusion Act.

You can if you completely exclude large-scale Chinese immigration to North America, like V2 does :v: Oh wait, that makes the problem worse :(

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

podcat posted:

Get new moderators then. Ones that wont be afraid to get rid of the racist shitheels. :colbert:

Hell, you should model your forums more like SA, we ban people for just admitting they like My Little Pony.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dibujante posted:

You can if you completely exclude large-scale Chinese immigration to North America, like V2 does :v: Oh wait, that makes the problem worse :(

But Chinese immigrate by the thousands once they become a GP.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mans posted:

As bad as the Paradox forums are they have yet to call the people who died in Tianamen square "whiny kids who deserved what they got".

Tell me it was just because one group had tanks and the other didn't. Or because there are a lot of PRC folks there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ArchRanger posted:

It seems to be the case in every even slightly grognardy game. I play a decent amount of Wargame and the general chat that I get to see every time I log in before I turn it off is almost always ignorant poo poo of some sort. Maybe bigots have an attraction to games about time periods where their views weren't as reviled as they are today.

Yuuuuuup. The Matrix Games forums has an outright ban on "political" topics because it's otherwise a goldmine of conservatism.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ArchRanger posted:

Paradox games let you do awful things to your virtual populace because they are historical, so naturally people who think that sort of thing has a place in the modern world are attracted. They are the sort of people who know full well what "press button to culture convert" actually means and revel in it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I want the Chinese Exclusion Act, and then see what happens if you start conquering bits of China.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

GrossMurpel posted:

What's the mechanical reason for that in-game anyways? It always seemed bizarre that Chinese stat migrating only after their nation modernizes and becomes a world power.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DerLeo posted:

What's the mechanical reason for that in-game anyways? It always seemed bizarre that Chinese stat migrating only after their nation modernizes and becomes a world power.

Do uncivs ever get any emigration at all?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

They immigrate by the thousands when they should immigrate by the hundreds of thousands, and they also become Yankee protestants almost immediately :(

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dibujante posted:

and they also become Yankee protestants almost immediately :(

Watching pops convert the moment they touch New York is my favorite thing about playing the USA.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kavak posted:

Tell me it was just because one group had tanks and the other didn't. Or because there are a lot of PRC folks there.

Hahaha no. Off the top of my head the really infamous nazi posters on WoT are some neo-tsarist Slav wanna-be who bought into Himmler's occult bullshit and some plagiarist hack who wargaming paid for research on East Asian tanks that she just straight up stole from some website while complaining about communists being out to get her.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I honestly think the CK2 forums are their best forums. Other than that curry comment I can't remember that much dissent about Rajas besides "this is stupid I want cadet dynasties' or 'gently caress this is going to run like rear end' or even people worried that they wouldn't do India justice.

I mean, that Sunset Invasion thread was high comedy :v:.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DerLeo posted:

I believe it's because uncivs would dry up of people if the game allowed them to emigrate because any other civilized power, to say nothing of the modifiers one gets for being in the American continent / democratic / the United States specifically, would be so much more attractive to some dirt farmer in Makran.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

DrSunshine posted:

Victoria3 should be developed by someone named Victoria! Then they can put her name in the title, just like Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri!

Victoria's Secret Denmark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I believe it's because uncivs would dry up of people if the game allowed them to emigrate because any other civilized power, to say nothing of the modifiers one gets for being in the American continent / democratic / the United States specifically, would be so much more attractive to some dirt farmer in Makran.

Immigrant pull actually only makes people who already migrated be more likely to choose your country. Emigration reasons are completely separate from that.

YF-23 posted:

Victoria's Secret Denmark

:allears:

• Locked thread