Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
space wars will never actually happen because the economics will always be prohibitive, if any violence occurs it will always be completely asymmetrical because otherwise it's just not worth the energy expenditure to move poo poo around at any substantial distances, and anything that is so valuable as to warrant violent conflict in space (like rare elements or something) will also be so valuable that nobody is going to risk destroying it by having a stupid fight over it

even orbital conflicts will always be extensions of relatively limited surface warfare, and the only things you really want in orbit are comm and sensor equipment, and you never want to physically destroy a satellite if you can help it because you don't want to fill useful orbits with dangerous debris, so it's all going to about disrupting your enemy's ability to interact with their sats instead

this is assuming that things continue the way they are now, where ideological conflicts are just façades on top of economic conflicts driven by the private wealth that runs the state. mature international capitalism finds unrestricted warfare between major states to be unprofitable, which sadly is why the conflict in the ukraine is going to be loving catastrophic on a local level but isn't going to cause ww3, re: britain refusing to even lay down sanctions because rich russians own half of london, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Heresiarch posted:

space wars will never actually happen because the economics will always be prohibitive, if any violence occurs it will always be completely asymmetrical because otherwise it's just not worth the energy expenditure to move poo poo around at any substantial distances, and anything that is so valuable as to warrant violent conflict in space (like rare elements or something) will also be so valuable that nobody is going to risk destroying it by having a stupid fight over it

even orbital conflicts will always be extensions of relatively limited surface warfare, and the only things you really want in orbit are comm and sensor equipment, and you never want to physically destroy a satellite if you can help it because you don't want to fill useful orbits with dangerous debris, so it's all going to about disrupting your enemy's ability to interact with their sats instead

this is assuming that things continue the way they are now, where ideological conflicts are just façades on top of economic conflicts driven by the private wealth that runs the state. mature international capitalism finds unrestricted warfare between major states to be unprofitable, which sadly is why the conflict in the ukraine is going to be loving catastrophic on a local level but isn't going to cause ww3, re: britain refusing to even lay down sanctions because rich russians own half of london, etc

replace the word 'space' with 'land' or 'air'

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

theadder posted:

replace the word 'space' with 'land' or 'air'

i don't think you understand the difference in energy requirements here

edit: or am i misunderstanding your point

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Heresiarch posted:

i don't think you understand the difference in energy requirements here

edit: or am i misunderstanding your point

i guess im thinking any society rly like this would already need an energy source beyond our comprehension

also wars are rly wasteful already so we'd probably continue it

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

my point is that we're wasteful and stupid

yospos bithc

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

points taken

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

coffeetable posted:

anyway followin up spaceship chat from a page or two back,

of course the death star completely eclipses the entire diagram

and the ID4 mothership has like eighty of those city destroyers plating its underside

honestly i love diagrams like this no matter how much wild guessing and aliasing is involved, see also http://merzo.net

quote:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
S.S. Heart of Gold
150 meters (most probably)

lol

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
just saw the new cosmos, it was p great

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
read wool, got to the third book and put it down. i know self publishing is the new poo poo but working with an editor will vastly improve your work mr internet author man.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Jet Age posted:

read wool, got to the third book

lol what are you 17?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
ie

"It was the uprising that filled whispers and occupied sideways glances"

occupied sideways glances?

"His wife was poking some great, overly full balloon with a needle, and Holston wanted to get that air out of it before she poked too far."

kind of ran out of metaphor here but that's okay keep writing

"He almost asked Nelson what was wrong before it occurred to him: The man was worried all these instructions were for naught, that Holston would walk out—like everyone in the silo feared all cleaners would—and not do his duty. Not clean up for the people whose rules, rules against dreaming of a better place, had doomed him."

colon comma hyphen hyphen. this dude writes like my work emails and that's not good. then a sentence within another sentence!

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

AlsoD posted:

lol what are you 17?

yeah i know i didn't want to use 'it's YA as gently caress' as an insult because good YA fiction is important but this is YA as gently caress

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
my vote for the worst analogy ever goes to "In zero gravity dice never stop tumbling, and for the next day Geary felt like he was watching a pair endlessly rolling and never coming up with a result."

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Jet Age posted:

colon comma hyphen hyphen.
those are dashes you fucko

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

theadder posted:

i guess im thinking any society rly like this would already need an energy source beyond our comprehension

also wars are rly wasteful already so we'd probably continue it

war is good for business

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

angry_keebler posted:

this is an engineering problem that could in principle be solved and would work to shield a non-accelerating spacecraft from ir detection by a point observer

the problem is you would need a real big real no joke heat shield that would need a lot of coolant and a lot of tailing radiators, something like a 60 km wide plate with 20 km of radiators dangling out the back

as long as you're enemy only has a single observatory you can get pretty close, but if they use radar you'd need a stealth geometry and a material that retains radar absorbtive properties at super low temperatures.

even if such a material even exists they could still just look at the sky with a regular telescope and watch for glint from the heat shield. okay, you paint it black (more work for your radiators) so they watch for unexpected star occlusions and pretty soon have a good enough idea of your cross section and speed that they are probably getting pretty steamed about your evident sneak attack

awesome. it does kinda bum me out that scifi style space ship battles will never happen but idk the engineering and design that would go into making a Real Life Space Warship like this is waaay more interesting

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

angry_keebler posted:

even if such a material even exists they could still just look at the sky with a regular telescope and watch for glint from the heat shield. okay, you paint it black (more work for your radiators) so they watch for unexpected star occlusions and pretty soon have a good enough idea of your cross section and speed that they are probably getting pretty steamed about your evident sneak attack

seems like you'd need a shitload of telescopes all over the place to find that

i mean its definitely possible but i really don't think that kind of visual anomaly would be trivial to find

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trig Discipline posted:

just saw the new cosmos, it was p great

please don't troll

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the military probably has a space war plan already set up, it's their job to come up with plans for literally everything

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
another problem is that if the FTL problem is ever solved then we automatically have super weapons capable of destroying planets and probably even stars

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Gus Hobbleton posted:

another problem is that if the FTL problem is ever solved then we automatically have super weapons capable of destroying planets and probably even stars

these will be the least of our problems if we ever manage to violate causality

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

then how did the bugs bomb us smart guy

please

the goddamn bugs whacked us, johnny

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

then how did the bugs bomb us smart guy

inside job

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

seems like you'd need a shitload of telescopes all over the place to find that

i mean its definitely possible but i really don't think that kind of visual anomaly would be trivial to find

the biggest concern for the attacker is time.

if the stealth ship turned on its engines so it was moving fast enough to reach the earth in a month and drop a bomb you'd see the exhaust. the farther away you start, the faster your initial speed could be, but your enemy's detection radius is directly proportional to your operational travel time

there's not a lot of wiggle room on avoiding ir detection of your exhaust, but if you are far enough away and turn on your engine when your base is in conjunction with the earth then maybe your exhaust will disperse enough that a different mission with a similar engine could be launched to confuse the defenders and let you do a fast stealth attack

otherwise it's a single low power burn and then seveal months or years of jogging along the gravity ring, and that gives the defenders several months of observation time so even modern day amateur astronomers would have a better than fair chance of seeing enough occlusions to call up space command. in a world where we're aware of adversaries that might want to sneak attack us we'd probably invest in a network of good quality optical space telescopes with ccds and enough data processing to do a full sky scan every few weeks. if we keep three ir observatories, one in orbit, one on the moon, and one orbiting mars, then the stealth dish only gets the attacker so far before they can't keep their radiators angled away from all three observatories

which isn't so say the sneak attack is impossible, a combination of luck and timing could probably work once. hitory repeatedly shows that low probability attacks work the first time they're tried, if for no other reason than some rear end in a top hat in a middle management position in a defense agency personally thinks the unlikely attack is impossible so he actively hamstrings efforts to prevent the attack to come in under budget on some specific line item

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Heresiarch posted:

these will be the least of our problems if we ever manage to violate causality

well this is assuming that solving the ftl problem also solves the causality problem because they kind of go hand in hand

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

angry_keebler posted:

the biggest concern for the attacker is time.

if the stealth ship turned on its engines so it was moving fast enough to reach the earth in a month and drop a bomb you'd see the exhaust. the farther away you start, the faster your initial speed could be, but your enemy's detection radius is directly proportional to your operational travel time

there's not a lot of wiggle room on avoiding ir detection of your exhaust, but if you are far enough away and turn on your engine when your base is in conjunction with the earth then maybe your exhaust will disperse enough that a different mission with a similar engine could be launched to confuse the defenders and let you do a fast stealth attack

otherwise it's a single low power burn and then seveal months or years of jogging along the gravity ring, and that gives the defenders several months of observation time so even modern day amateur astronomers would have a better than fair chance of seeing enough occlusions to call up space command. in a world where we're aware of adversaries that might want to sneak attack us we'd probably invest in a network of good quality optical space telescopes with ccds and enough data processing to do a full sky scan every few weeks. if we keep three ir observatories, one in orbit, one on the moon, and one orbiting mars, then the stealth dish only gets the attacker so far before they can't keep their radiators angled away from all three observatories

which isn't so say the sneak attack is impossible, a combination of luck and timing could probably work once. hitory repeatedly shows that low probability attacks work the first time they're tried, if for no other reason than some rear end in a top hat in a middle management position in a defense agency personally thinks the unlikely attack is impossible so he actively hamstrings efforts to prevent the attack to come in under budget on some specific line item

a good post, ty for your thoughtful contributions keebler :)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

angry_keebler posted:

the larger the radiator, the farther away it can be seen even if its average temperature is relatively lower

of course in my earlier numbers i'm assuming modern infrared astronomy is the peak of our advancement and we never have more than one ir telscope and no radar astronomy because i guess radars are illegal in the future thanks cyber obama

you're also completely dismissing emissivity which is what confounds attempts at using black body equations in any practical application

scuff up some paint on the leading surface and we're halfway there

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i enjoy watching science fiction space ships shoot lasers at each other

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Gus Hobbleton posted:

well this is assuming that solving the ftl problem also solves the causality problem because they kind of go hand in hand

i like the futurama solution where they just increased the speed of light

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

qntm posted:

i like the futurama solution where they just increased the speed of light

or the other futurama solution where it isn't the ship that moves but the universe around it!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jet Age posted:

read wool, got to the third book and put it down. i know self publishing is the new poo poo but working with an editor will vastly improve your work mr internet author man.

yeah the writing could use a bit of help but i liked the story enough that i still enjoyed it v:unsmith:v

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

well, if Almost Human doesn't get a renewal at least that was a :3: note to end on, dangling plot threads be damned.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah i liked the last scene of that episode too, nicely sappy :unsmith:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the champagne bottle takes fuckin' forever to get there to actually christen the thing though

Elder Postsman posted:

hahaha i'd forgotten about that, how freaking dumb. wtf star trek

the champagne bottle idea was cool but the execution was offensively terrible.

even in 1994 this was not good cgi. and it looks worse in full motion, the stills do not do it justice.

$35 million earth dollars to squeeze out this turd and it looks worse than b5's lightwave / video toaster effects. high school a/v clubs did better

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Trig Discipline posted:

yeah the writing could use a bit of help but i liked the story enough that i still enjoyed it v:unsmith:v

i was listening to it as an audiobook which doesn't help

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jet Age posted:

i was listening to it as an audiobook which doesn't help

oh yeah, my wife said the audiobook of the second one was terrible and boring

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
but i still grant you that the writing isn't perfect. it's not piers anthony levels of bad or anything, but it could definitely use a better editor at some points

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
out of boredom i watched nucosmos

too flashy by half at the outset and then a terrible, jarring transition into the terrible atheism animation

neil tyson is a decent host and has pretty good patter

a lot more calm and contemplative than i first feared, but there are still many episodes to go

overall it could have been worse, but the atheist content was really poorly shoehorned in, especially the unironic use of "thought police"

Stymie fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 12, 2014

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Trig Discipline posted:

but i still grant you that the writing isn't perfect. it's not piers anthony levels of bad or anything, but it could definitely use a better editor at some points

i like charlie stross on this -

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2013/03/why-i-dont-self-publish.html

don't do this poo poo yourself because its not what you are good at and others will do it more cheaply and efficiently. i dunno if Howey had traditional publishing options but i think he would have benefited from a little help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
just cover your starship in pagancow posts 'cause it's not like anybody reads those

• Locked thread