Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

I was able to make this one come out better though.

Wow! Those are fantastic. Great job!

I wish I had the money to buy any of them :(

EDIT: And now I have new avatar! :toot: Thanks mysterious benefactor :neckbeard:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
So, in the latest Avengers Assemble Hawkeye and Hulk encounter the Mojo-Verse. Mojo just doesn't have the insanity of the old X-Men cartoon version.

I really wish they'd go all out and hire Paul Heyman to voice Mojo.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

PicklePants posted:

I really wish they'd go all out and hire Paul Heyman to voice Mojo.

Get me Mojo Heyman screaming a character's name like Brock Lesnar an I'll never ask for anything again.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Was Longshot in the episode? He was (for some reason) my favorite X-man.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

Get me Mojo Heyman screaming a character's name like Brock Lesnar an I'll never ask for anything again.

"Mister Captain America! As the rrrepresentative of BRRROCK LESNAR, I'm warning you that battling my BEAST will be the end of your so-called AVENGERS, LIVE ON PAY PER VIEW!"

Yes, the greatest threat the Avengers could face on Mojo TV is Brock Lesnar. :colbert:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Relevant:

http://www.newsarama.com/20535-cartoon-network-2014-2015-schedule-reveals-beware-the-batman-cancelled-no-new-dc-shows.html

CN lineup for 2014-2015 doesn't have Beware the Batman or any new DC show.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Man, all I want is a show about superheroes that isn't 100% comedy and has an interesting overarching plotline and engaging character-driven stories. Is that too much to ask for? :smith:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Fuego Fish posted:

Man, all I want is a show about superheroes that isn't 100% comedy and has an interesting overarching plotline and engaging character-driven stories. Is that too much to ask for? :smith:
Animated? Yeah.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fuego Fish posted:

This is exactly what Clone Wars was. Check out the unaired season that they just put up on Netflix the other day, it's pretty good. The same dudes are making a new show that's out later this year.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Hakkesshu posted:

This is exactly what Clone Wars was. Check out the unaired season that they just put up on Netflix the other day, it's pretty good. The same dudes are making a new show that's out later this year.

Oh poo poo its up?! Thanks for the heads up!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Hakkesshu posted:

I might give it a look, but honestly the Star Wars prequel universe is kind of a turn-off, regardless of the quality of the show itself.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fuego Fish posted:

I might give it a look, but honestly the Star Wars prequel universe is kind of a turn-off, regardless of the quality of the show itself.

It does more interesting things with the universe than the prequels did, I'll say that much. There are some pretty bad episodes sprinkled throughout, but when it's good it's real good.

Regardless, it's a show about superheroes that features engaging, character-driven arcs and is pretty loving brutal for a children's show, so I don't think you're gonna find a better alternative :shrug:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Fuego Fish posted:

Well, the dude that's been in charge of CN got fired, so there's hope for the next upfront to include some more serious action superhero stuff. If the new dude goes "lets not try live action comedy for the nth time and lets fill up these superhero gaps"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Hakkesshu posted:

It does more interesting things with the universe than the prequels did, I'll say that much. There are some pretty bad episodes sprinkled throughout, but when it's good it's real good.

Regardless, it's a show about superheroes that features engaging, character-driven arcs and is pretty loving brutal for a children's show, so I don't think you're gonna find a better alternative :shrug:

I'm enjoying Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which is about as superheroes as Star Wars. So I might give Clone Wars a go, or possibly wait and see about this new show that's coming out.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Kingtheninja posted:

Was Longshot in the episode? He was (for some reason) my favorite X-man.

He was not. Which is a shame, because there haven't been any really good animated mullets on TV since the last time Longshot was on the X-Men cartoon, or the Iron Man cartoon.

And if they wanted Brock Lesnar to do a voice, Heyman-Mojo could have always swiped up StrongGuy for his arena/series/show. Or Spiderman's Rhino so we could hear the screeching, "GORE GORE GORE!"

Edit: I'm thinking about this fantasy casting way too much now.

PicklePants fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 11, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah there's no way any cartoon character is going to beat 90's Iron Man's Iron Mullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBbnT-cIDVM

Man it's terrible how Disney/Loeb/Whomever is to blame has just aggressively and thoroughly driven all of the Marvel cartoons the exact same level of mediocrity. They're not as The Room terribad as the first seasons of the 90s Iron Man and Fantastic Four, nor as good as the Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes series that preceded them. They're just... there.

Hakkesshu posted:

You know I was thinking more comic book superheroes, but you're right, the Jedi are basically superheroes. And the overtly militaristic setting is used to great effect sometimes - I mean you can't even imagine a SHIELD agent planting a bomb on a helicarrier and murdering people in protest to SHIELD's militarization and corruption - on either Avengers Assemble or Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Fuego Fish posted:

*Looks out window*

*Sees a bunch of smurf-like creatures riding a dragon-like creature, joyfully riding through the sky*

"Great. It's gonna be another one of those planets."

Fuego Fish posted:

I'm enjoying Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which is about as superheroes as Star Wars. So I might give Clone Wars a go, or possibly wait and see about this new show that's coming out.
I didn't even consider the new TMNT either, but thinking about it, I don't really give it much credit for having an interesting overarching storyline or engaging character-driven stories either. The comedy is first-rate, however.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

The jump of quality between seasons 1 and 2 of the Iron Man and FF cartoons has always astounded me. Was it a different team that took over?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Vintimus Prime posted:

The jump of quality between seasons 1 and 2 of the Iron Man and FF cartoons has always astounded me. Was it a different team that took over?
Yep, exactly what happened. New writers and a whole new studio handling animation. Marvel basically sent down a directive for both shows to get their poo poo together. It is kind of surprising though that they let the lovely quality in the first seasons slide to begin with. You'd think that in 1994, more people in animation would be looking towards B:TAS and trying to crib that success, but alas.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Pity that Marvel aren't doing the same thing now, but I guess it's not like they have any competition from DC to compare themselves to anymore. Damnit, CN, what evils hath thou wrought in thy quest for toy commercials?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Was there even any improvement to Avengers Assemble? I watched part of the first episode and forgot about it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Fuego Fish posted:

Pity that Marvel aren't doing the same thing now, but I guess it's not like they have any competition from DC to compare themselves to anymore. Damnit, CN, what evils hath thou wrought in thy quest for toy commercials?

So downhill that the management has been completely overhauled, actually.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Speaking of which, I really hope Wacker stays for the longterm. I think Marvel unfortunately needs to ride out their current series before things get actually get better. I just hope Steve is around that long that we can actually see his influence. Despite being a huge turd, he was really one of Marvel's best editors. If anyone can really get us to the true Marvel Animated Universe we've always dreamed of, it's him.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Dacap posted:

Was there even any improvement to Avengers Assemble? I watched part of the first episode and forgot about it.

Let me answer your question with the following:

In case that's too subtle for you, the answer is no. The animation varies between "we spent the entire episode's budget on this five-second sequence of Thor hitting someone" and "more Powerpoint transitions? oh sir you are spoiling us", the plotlines are straight out of the 1980s playbook for lovely villain schemes ending in a moral lesson that gets beaten over the audience's head, and the characters remain unlikeable parodies with no resemblance to their movie counterparts.

Here's a bonus badly-animated gif featuring the toyetic properties of "Agents of SMASH":

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah the scripts are straight from the 80's/Early 90's in terms of having some kind of moral in every episode and have very little happen. There is a very mild story about the Cabal going on but they have made it completely boring and uninteresting. Red Skull is basically The Shredder and MODOK is practically Bebop/Rocksteady.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

That's too bad. EMH was really good at one point and was probably the closest we'll ever get to a Marvel equivalent of JLU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jeph Loeb eats the souls of good media to fuel his nightmarish existence.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser

Is that Falcon back there being shunned by the rest of the team?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

The animation in those gifs is straight out of the 60s Iron Man and Thor cartoons.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They wish they could hold a candle to the majesty of the 60's cartoons.

Never seen a single episode, but I like the idea of Agents of S.M.A.S.H. Kind of reminds me of Nina Turtles, or at least Street Sharks. Plus, there's always room for Devil Dinosaur.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Speaking of, they should totally make a Nextwave cartoon. It already has a themesong after all.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah the scripts are straight from the 80's/Early 90's in terms of having some kind of moral in every episode and have very little happen. There is a very mild story about the Cabal going on but they have made it completely boring and uninteresting. Red Skull is basically The Shredder and MODOK is practically Bebop/Rocksteady.

The actual Marvel cartoon for baby children, Super Hero Super Squad, has stronger arcs than the new cartoons. It's mind boggling.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

horsepeen posted:

Is that Falcon back there being shunned by the rest of the team?

They were desperate to keep the composition of the shot from the movie, so they completely changed the structure of the restaurant to add in a row of booths so that the Falcon wouldn't spoil the shot. Except they have Hulk there instead of Banner, so the shot's already different considering the obvious difference in size between the two.

The whole "we had to make things more like the movies, so kids wouldn't get confused" is pretty much the biggest line of bullshit that's ever been spun. Any connection there is to the movies is purely superficial and doesn't hold up under the slightest scrutiny. I could go on about it, but I think I've made that point often enough. But I guess when it's the only game in town, kids can't really be picky.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In possibly hopeful news, the guy who was running Cartoon Network into the ground for years is leaving.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/goodbye-to-stu-snyder-the-man-who-tried-to-make-cartoon-network-cartoon-less-96952.html

I'm hoping this will allow DC to actually get a chance to produce good animated shows which don't get strangled in the crib like what happened to Green Lantern or Beware the Batman.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

In possibly hopeful news, the guy who was running Cartoon Network into the ground for years is leaving.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/goodbye-to-stu-snyder-the-man-who-tried-to-make-cartoon-network-cartoon-less-96952.html

I'm hoping this will allow DC to actually get a chance to produce good animated shows which don't get strangled in the crib like what happened to Green Lantern or Beware the Batman.

What happened to Green Lantern/Young Justice/BTB was a massive clusterfuck but I don't think things would have gone any differently had there been a different exec in charge. Reportedly, the CG animation for GL and BTB was prohibitively expensive, and the network relied on extra merchandising to make up for the cost. Green Lantern as a franchise got brutally hosed by the movie's failure, apparently no store wanted to stock the figures after having a surplus of Ryan Reynolds figures that wouldn't sell. There's also Mattel's shoddy products and internal "no girls allowed" policy that hurt Young Justice, which also probably wasn't bringing in enough ad revenue alone to justify a third season. IMO, Beware the Batman was dead on arrival and I don't blame the network for cancelling it. The animation looked like an unfinished PS2 cutscene and it brought almost nothing to the table, other than filling WBA's "we need a Batman show" quota. In the end, I blame the idiots behind the GL movie and WBA, for making the colossally stupid mistake of using CG animation.

Speaking of lovely animation, does anyone have the Avengers gif that's literally just still images of the characters moving from side to side?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Clone Wars did fine being CG. It really only got screwed when Disney bought Star Wars and then the last season ended up having been completed with no where to air. And Disney is pumping out a new CG series from the same people (I think it is the same people?)

DC properties are just mismanaged period. Time Warner in general couldn't give any less fucks about the stuff they are putting out, they are just looking at spreadsheets and graphs at this point, that much is clear.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

At least Clone Wars' final season is up on Netflix.

Also, here's the gif, HorseRenoir

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ToastyPotato posted:

Clone Wars did fine being CG. It really only got screwed when Disney bought Star Wars and then the last season ended up having been completed with no where to air. And Disney is pumping out a new CG series from the same people (I think it is the same people?)

DC properties are just mismanaged period. Time Warner in general couldn't give any less fucks about the stuff they are putting out, they are just looking at spreadsheets and graphs at this point, that much is clear.

George Lucas has some really deep pockets. I doubt any other studio would be able to get away with such a high budget.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Well, at least we can give them money for a good show in HD now, since it seems that they're finally releasing The Spectacular Spider-Man on Blu-Ray in a complete set.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

It's mostly the same crew making Rebels, with the main addition being Greg Weissman of Gargoyles, Spectacular Spidey and YJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

It's mostly the same crew making Rebels, with the main addition being Greg Weissman of Gargoyles, Spectacular Spidey and YJ.

So it'll just last two seasons with the bad guys winning, then?

• Locked thread