Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
gently caress, missed out on the Sleeping Beauty one and they are already 200 bucks on ebay. loving hell/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

uPen posted:

24 pooh posters up on ebay for $100-200. :sigh:

e: The other half just went on sale if anyone wants black cauldron, black hole, cat from outer space or fantasia.

I'm almost certain that Mondo does this themselves in order to extract more money from people. They drat sure could take measures to prevent their inventory from being cleaned out immediately by click-bot resellers, and the fact that they don't combined with already transparent attempts to create scarcity for profit is damning.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

LeJackal posted:

I'm almost certain that Mondo does this themselves in order to extract more money from people. They drat sure could take measures to prevent their inventory from being cleaned out immediately by click-bot resellers, and the fact that they don't combined with already transparent attempts to create scarcity for profit is damning.

If I was Mondo I would have the posters 'sell out' immediately and have 'resellers' appear on eBay at massive costs. Nothing's better for profit than artificial manipulation of supply and demand.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

LeJackal posted:

Then why not just raise the price and take advantage of supply and demand economics themselves instead of doing it through eBay? There is clearly enough demand for their fanart posters that they could increase the price 33-50% and still sell out.

What I'm saying is that your conspiracy makes no sense.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

If I was Mondo I would have the posters 'sell out' immediately and have 'resellers' appear on eBay at massive costs. Nothing's better for profit than artificial manipulation of supply and demand.

That is exactly what I am suggesting they are doing.

Irish Joe posted:

Then why not just raise the price and take advantage of supply and demand economics themselves instead of doing it through eBay? There is clearly enough demand for their fanart posters that they could increase the price 33-50% and still sell out.

What I'm saying is that your conspiracy makes no sense.

Is there enough demand to support a price increase straight from them? How much does the scarcity drive demand versus the demand driving scarcity? If they are just that intrinsically popular then sure, but if making them rare is the core of their scheme (and the artificial scarcity is) then acting as their own resellers is right on course with that line of thinking.

Maybe they are jacking up their prices in a stupid and convoluted way, but as we've seen from some of their offerings they love stupid and complicated poo poo.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 11, 2014

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I thought about it earlier and I think the model is sound. Yeah you're going to have to deal with a good portion of what are essentially poster scalpers, but keeping the price lower than the market does three things: keeps the posters affordable, ensures that virtually everything sells out, and keeps the Mondo "brand" strong. If they try to raise their prices too aggressively, and posters start not selling out, they jeopardize their momentum (and risk sacrificing long-term success for short-term profits). Keeping the price around $40ish-$70ish is a win/win/win for artists, Mondo, and buyers.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Why not follow of Man of Steel model and leave orders open for a set amount of time?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

LeJackal posted:

Is there enough demand to support a price increase straight from them?

I wouldn't know unless I took a look at Mondo's books. I imagine, though, that posters piggybacking on current media properties* or tapping into its customers' sense of nostalgia could justify higher prices on the site than more niche offerings (think LEGO Movie or Aladdin vs something like Rear Window).

*properties movie studios are heavily marketing themselves.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

It's an even more sound model if they pretend they sold out immediately and just sell them on eBay under false names. That's actually such a good (yet morally bankrupt, but this is business who cares am I right) way to make extra cash I'd be surprised if they weren't doing it, they're too smart not to be. People are selling your posters on eBay for way more than their intended cost, why not cut out the middle man and rake in the dough for your inflatedly-expensive posters of Twassic Tank and The Hing yourself?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Hardflip posted:

Mondo SXSW Godzilla

Someone at Mondo played Attack of the Friday Monsters...

(Small town kids imagine industrial smoke to be kaiju, later there are ultraman/kaiju battles)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Why not follow of Man of Steel model and leave orders open for a set amount of time?

They've done that twice. The first time they did it was Dark Knight Rises. I wouldn't be surprised if a summer film this year gets a similar treatment.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Was this posted yet?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

LeJackal posted:

Was this posted yet?

I like the white background, it'd be easy to throw this on black and call it a day.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I like the white background, it'd be easy to throw this on black and call it a day.

Agreed. Or even more cliche, red.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Geekboy posted:

Agreed. Or even more cliche, red.

Purple would have been appropriate to the character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Make it green so they can be more transparent about riding the Wicked wave.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Or a wall of green flame.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

LeJackal posted:

Was this posted yet?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

That's a really clever use of that kind of wacky poo poo ice cube tray.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DarkSol posted:

I really think you should give it another watch. All this talk about it actually inspired me to watch it again, and while I'm writing up this post, the Cygnus is falling apart!

There is just so much that is interesting about this movie that I know, as a child, I would have never have picked up on. I've heard people call The Black Hole Disney's attempt at Star Wars, but it is so much more dark and horrifying.

Take Dr. Durant's disembowelment itself... In Star Wars, there is violence shown with Ben Kenobi cutting off that alien's arm, but the violence is so quick, you barely have time to react to it. The cantina freaks out during the act of violence, but immediately goes back to everything back to normal. Inversely, when Maximilian shreds Dr. Durant's stomach, you hear and see the act coming and then happening. Kate reacts in horror, while Dr. Reinhart just takes it all in stride... on the outside. Right afterward, he has this one moment of clarity where he breaks out of his insanity. The fear of Maximilian in his voice and eyes is so palpable, but after Kate rebuffs him, his grip on sanity is finally lost.

That all said, I feel that any sort of remake of the film would some how dumb down the metaphysical aspects of the original for the sake of making an easy buck or two. The Black Hole asks all these really deep questions, but it is held back because it is stuck in this PG film. Which is a shame.

I've seen it on TV in 720p, and it is a gorgeous film. The setpieces and model work are beautiful. It's a huge shame that Disney refuses to release it on Blu-ray.

The Black Hole was remade...

Sirotan posted:

Most of these just went up for sale, if anyone wanted one.

Edit: Welp nevermind, they're now all sold out.

mondo.txt

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 12, 2014

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

effectual posted:

mondo.txt

Can we please not spoiler large images like that? It would help to be able to actually see the full picture instead of a small part of it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
effectual, use the TIMG tags.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

effectual posted:

I know you're trying to be cute, but I couldn't disagree with you more. The Black Hole is more like a twisted version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

LeJackal posted:

Was this posted yet?

I like the poster, but dang if her gaunt cheekbones don't make me uncomfortable. Angelina Jolie's cheeks are very gaunt, but not ghostly like that. I think the shopping makes her look more like an evil, supernatural being, so that was a good call imo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's not photoshop, that's prosthetics.

edit:

kiimo fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 12, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

LeJackal posted:

Was this posted yet?

I wish they had gone for an actress with a naturally slender face and pronounced cheekbones.

Oh, and please use TIMG tags.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Baron Bifford posted:

Oh, and please use TIMG tags.
For an image thats 634px wide?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I wish I could put this on my wall

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I found another text-slapped-over-face poster...well cover, but it's the same.

I still wish I could buy it.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Desperado Bones posted:

I found another text-slapped-over-face poster...well cover, but it's the same.

I still wish I could buy it.

That's a great movie and that poster works well for it

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

kdrudy posted:

That's a great movie and that poster works well for it

:allears: Yeah,I actually liked it. And the movie too.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

kiimo posted:

That's not photoshop, that's prosthetics.

edit:

Oh man, cool!

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?

Vintersorg posted:

Winnie the Pooh, Rescuers, 101 Dalmations and Nightmare Before Christmas dropped - kinda easy to get but passing on those. Hoping Aladdin and Beauty go up soon.

There was a Nightmare Before Christmas one? I scrolled back and hit both blog posts and their site but either I'm completely blind or it's not imagery I recognize enough that it jumps out.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

LeJackal posted:

Twenty years later and Robin Williams is still getting hosed over.

? Can you explain? I don't know if there's some background story to it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hand of the King posted:

If I remember correctly, when Williams initially did the Genie he made it clear to Disney that he didn't want to be used as a marketing crutch for merchandise based on the movie, which Disney interpreted as "use the Genie in loving EVERYTHING," with (I think) overdubbing the genie in ads being what pissed him off the most.

The joke about the poster is that he's the biggest character on it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

mr. stefan posted:

If I remember correctly, when Williams initially did the Genie he made it clear to Disney that he didn't want to be used as a marketing crutch for merchandise based on the movie, which Disney interpreted as "use the Genie in loving EVERYTHING," with (I think) overdubbing the genie in ads being what pissed him off the most.

The joke about the poster is that he's the biggest character on it.

I think the problem was not Genie himself, but Robin Williams' name being attached to the posters. I believe he didn't want his name on them because he didn't want Aladdin overshadowing his Toys movie. But they put it there anyway and of course it overshadowed Toys

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They eventually reconciled on it somewhat considering Williams came back to do the final DTV movie.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hand of the King posted:

In gratitude for his success with the Disney/Touchstone film Good Morning, Vietnam, Robin Williams voiced the Genie for SAG scale pay ($75,000), on condition that his name or image not be used for marketing, and his (supporting) character not take more than 25% of space on advertising artwork, since Toys was scheduled for release one month after Aladdin's debut. For financial reasons, the studio went back on the deal on both counts, especially in poster art by having the Genie in 25% of the image, but having other major and supporting characters portrayed considerably smaller. The Disney Hyperion book Aladdin: The Making of an Animated Film listed both of Williams' characters "The Peddler" and "The Genie" ahead of main characters, but was forced to refer to him only as "the actor signed to play the Genie".

Williams and Disney had a bitter falling-out, and as a result, Dan Castellaneta voiced the Genie in The Return of Jafar, the Aladdin animated television series, and had recorded his voice for Aladdin and the King of Thieves. Following Jeffrey Katzenberg's departure from Disney, former 20th Century Fox production head Joe Roth, whose last act for Fox was greenlighting Williams' film Mrs. Doubtfire, replaced Katzenberg and arranged for a public apology to Williams by Disney. Williams agreed to perform in Hollywood Pictures' Jack, directed by Francis Ford Coppola, and even agreed to voice the Genie again for the King of Thieves sequel (for considerably more than scale), replacing all of Castellaneta's dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LeJackal posted:

In gratitude for his success with the Disney/Touchstone film Good Morning, Vietnam, Robin Williams voiced the Genie for SAG scale pay ($75,000), on condition that his name or image not be used for marketing, and his (supporting) character not take more than 25% of space on advertising artwork, since Toys was scheduled for release one month after Aladdin's debut. For financial reasons, the studio went back on the deal on both counts, especially in poster art by having the Genie in 25% of the image, but having other major and supporting characters portrayed considerably smaller. The Disney Hyperion book Aladdin: The Making of an Animated Film listed both of Williams' characters "The Peddler" and "The Genie" ahead of main characters, but was forced to refer to him only as "the actor signed to play the Genie".

Williams and Disney had a bitter falling-out, and as a result, Dan Castellaneta voiced the Genie in The Return of Jafar, the Aladdin animated television series, and had recorded his voice for Aladdin and the King of Thieves. Following Jeffrey Katzenberg's departure from Disney, former 20th Century Fox production head Joe Roth, whose last act for Fox was greenlighting Williams' film Mrs. Doubtfire, replaced Katzenberg and arranged for a public apology to Williams by Disney. Williams agreed to perform in Hollywood Pictures' Jack, directed by Francis Ford Coppola, and even agreed to voice the Genie again for the King of Thieves sequel (for considerably more than scale), replacing all of Castellaneta's dialogue.

This is why Dan Castellaneta has such a killer Robin Williams impression, because he was paid "considerably more than scale" to do it.