Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.

Pan Ache posted:

So I've got a flight coming up and ascension going free is pretty nice. However reading poo poo on the iphone screen is kind of a pain.

What boardgames on the ios are the best for one device pass and play?

I assume by one device you mean iPhone?

Ticket to Ride Europe Pocket just went free, and has pass 'n play. Pretty great implementation of a good game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Ming the Merciless posted:

I assume by one device you mean iPhone?

Ticket to Ride Europe Pocket just went free, and has pass 'n play. Pretty great implementation of a good game!

Dude that's awesome - thanks!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Carcassonne is also very good pass and play.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

New world colony which was recommended earlier in the thread dropped to 99 cents today.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ropes4u posted:

New world colony which was recommended earlier in the thread dropped to 99 cents today.

Everyone buy this, it's probably my favorite game on the iPad.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Suburbia is on sale. Was this one worth picking up? I've heard mixed things about it.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got really excited for Suburbuia (one of my favorites lately) but iPad only. :(

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Quarriors should be going free today for a week. It's probably more fun on an iPad than real life because it will be over faster, similar to Ascension.

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/28411/app-news-quarmageddon-happening-on-wednesday-leona

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
How well does Lords of Waterdeep run on an iphone 4?

Edit: Thanks Bummey!

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 12, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Helical Nightmares posted:

How well does Lords of Waterdeep run on an iphone 4?

Sluggish but not prohibitively so. It's a bummer to play on such a small screen since you'll be panning around the larger than necessary game board a LOT and some text on cards can be almost too small to read.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
(iPad only) Small World 2 is on sale for 4.99 from regular price of 9.99. Don't know for how long.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

SnowDog posted:

(iPad only) Small World 2 is on sale for 4.99 from regular price of 9.99. Don't know for how long.

Small World's problem is the small multiplayer community, and the truly awful Async multiplayer. I love async, it's my most played mode in the games that support it. So Small World 2's really really upsets me.

If you do Pass and Play style stuff, it's a fine game. And the AI is decent.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Funso Banjo posted:

Small World's problem is the small multiplayer community, and the truly awful Async multiplayer. I love async, it's my most played mode in the games that support it. So Small World 2's really really upsets me.

Didn't someone post about a patch fixing the game's problems? Or was async not one of the things that was improved?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Quickpull posted:

Didn't someone post about a patch fixing the game's problems? Or was async not one of the things that was improved?

The patch your thinking of was a complete reworking of the game, not so much a patch as a completely new game. The first game had no multiplayer at all. That patch was an overall success, it made a game that was simply bad, pretty good.

Async is bad in the new game, though. It's a real simple fix, just let us make games that last longer. Right now, async games have 2 day timers, which for anyone who isn't unemployed or a student is nearly an impossible timeframe to finish all your moves for a game. And the playerbase is small in the first place, unlike the other great board games on iPad.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Funso Banjo posted:

Yeah, I picked it up as a vs AI timewaster, and as a possible addition to Carcassonne for pass-and-play around the house.

Quarriors took a while to figure out, but it's a nice little diversion. Having no exposure to the game before, some stuff in the manual and tutorial didn't make any sense, i.e. I was winning games against the AI but not understanding what was happening. Took a few rounds before things clicked.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Is San Juan worth 99 cents, it just went on sale.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ropes4u posted:

I bought it at that price last time it went that low and enjoyed the heck out of it for like 3 or 4 months, so in my opinion yes.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Ropes4u posted:

So is Puerto Rico.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Puerto Rico is also on sale. Which one should I get? Are either of them simple enough to teach my girlfriend that enjoys Catan but nothing much more complicated than that?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
1) Get both, they're $1 each. If you can afford an iPad, you can afford to take the chance at that price.
2) San Juan is simpler than Puerto Rico, but both are higher complexity than Catan by a good margin.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah it's not about the price, more about the space/time. I'll check out Puerto Rico first I guess, if nothing else I'll play it vs ai.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Funso Banjo posted:

Async is bad in the new game, though. It's a real simple fix, just let us make games that last longer. Right now, async games have 2 day timers, which for anyone who isn't unemployed or a student is nearly an impossible timeframe to finish all your moves for a game. And the playerbase is small in the first place, unlike the other great board games on iPad.

Wait, this definitely doesn't sound right. Are you sure it's not a 2 day limit per turn? It's still not great, but 2 days per turn is already kind of excessive outside of extreme cases so it doesn't seem that bad. I've played a few games with friends and I know the games have gone on for more than two days in total. In any case, there supposedly is a patch coming that allows for adjustable turn limits.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Puerto Rico is amazing and I'm really glad I decided to try it. Big recommendation from me.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Paradoxish posted:

Wait, this definitely doesn't sound right. Are you sure it's not a 2 day limit per turn? It's still not great, but 2 days per turn is already kind of excessive outside of extreme cases so it doesn't seem that bad. I've played a few games with friends and I know the games have gone on for more than two days in total. In any case, there supposedly is a patch coming that allows for adjustable turn limits.

If it's implemented like other timers, your time runs down when it's your turn. So, if you're taking a turn per hour on average (which seems about right - you take a few turns at night during prime time all at once, but let the timer run for ~8 hours when you're sleeping and waking up in the morning), you can only make 48 moves before timing out. I don't really remember much about Small World - I've only played it once - but that does feel tight.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I tried out both Puerto Rico and San Juan last night, definitely clever games. Think I prefer the card game one (San Juan?) so far; it's more streamlined and seems more at home on iOS.

Edit: it's San Juan, not Costa Rica. But it should be Costa Rica!

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 23, 2014

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Boxman posted:

If it's implemented like other timers, your time runs down when it's your turn. So, if you're taking a turn per hour on average (which seems about right - you take a few turns at night during prime time all at once, but let the timer run for ~8 hours when you're sleeping and waking up in the morning), you can only make 48 moves before timing out. I don't really remember much about Small World - I've only played it once - but that does feel tight.

A game of small world only has ten turns per player, with no out of turn input.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

PJOmega posted:

A game of small world only has ten turns per player, with no out of turn input.

…if you tick the automatic reinforcement option, which sucks.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Lord of Waterdeep is on sale for $5. Does it have decent AI play? Taking a trip later this week and might be good purchase if the AI doesn't stink.

I have been playing a bit of Quarriors but the AI not very much fun. The easy level is too easy, and the hard AI just trounces me every time. If you mix the two you hit the score limit mighty quick. I really wish it had a way to adjust the score limit to make the game last long enough to get some strategy going, but maybe that's how it normally is?

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

JHVH-1 posted:

Lord of Waterdeep is on sale for $5. Does it have decent AI play? Taking a trip later this week and might be good purchase if the AI doesn't stink.

I have been playing a bit of Quarriors but the AI not very much fun. The easy level is too easy, and the hard AI just trounces me every time. If you mix the two you hit the score limit mighty quick. I really wish it had a way to adjust the score limit to make the game last long enough to get some strategy going, but maybe that's how it normally is?

Waterdeep's definitely worth it. If anything the AI is tuned a bit on the harder side. They had to detune Easy in the only update to the game thus far.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
The first expansion is out today as well.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So Waterdeep strategy...

I've played a couple games (of vanilla) and it seems the way to score big is to grab a bunch of quests and influence cards in the first three turns, then look for quests that chain, while monopolizing The Harbor to spam influence cards and pick up free resources at the end of the turn with reassigned agents.

Thoughts?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Getting crazy with buildings is an easy counter to that (because they'll be relying heavily on your buildings in the mad scramble for resource spots in rounds 6+) and anyone just collecting quests opens themselves up to someone playing heavy with intrigue cards.

You definitely want to chain but don't spend whole turns collecting quests.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Zigmidge posted:

Getting crazy with buildings is an easy counter to that (because they'll be relying heavily on your buildings in the mad scramble for resource spots in rounds 6+) and anyone just collecting quests opens themselves up to someone playing heavy with intrigue cards.

You definitely want to chain but don't spend whole turns collecting quests.

Also wouldn't quest collecting be limited by which character you ended up being?

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I always wonder if sometimes it's worth grabbing quests you won't get bonus points for if they give you a benefit or a slew of points or you have the cubes anyway or they give you cubes you need.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Uh, yeah, absolutely. What, are you only ever taking quests that get your hero bonus? :raise: That's a bonus, not a constraint. Also if I see you always taking Arcana every time and then I see the "gain <2> whenever you complete an Arcana", guess which quest card I'm drawing. If you have a chance to complete one of the huge plot quests like free-cube-per-round or use-one-occupied-space-per-round in the early game, you should do so regardless of your hidden hero card.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I guess in light of that I'll ask--what's a good Waterdeep score? I got something in the 130s vs 4 medium AI today but it seems like I have a lot of room to improve

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
It's telling that I'm lousy at Waterdeep

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Sharzak posted:

what's a good Waterdeep score?

This can vary quite a bit. For one thing, the resource allocation varies with player count. Expect more modest scores in larger games. But also it depends on how defensively everyone ends up playing. Some games it feels more advantageous to try to block my opponents' aims or actively avoid using their buildings, which leads to lower scores. But ultimately the objective is to outscore your opponent, not to score a lot of points. It's a subtle difference, I admit.

Also don't feel bad about losing to the AI in this app. They way overdid it on the difficulty. The first update toned down the AI, and it's still kinda broken.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Just got Waterdeep today because of the sale. I had been chomping at the bit to get it after hearing it's praises but I'm glad I did. Pretty great game and yeah the AI is pretty brutal. I can't imagine what it was like when it first came out! Admittedly, I'm still a newbie at board games and I don't mind getting thrashed. I mostly like feeling the sense of political intrigue and atmosphere while playing, no matter how slight it is :) Real quick, has anyone grabbed the expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coco bryce
Jun 23, 2007
I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness.
Is it possible to play a game of Waterdeep that is both pass-and-play local as well as online? Ex: A & B are playing in the same room by passing a device, while C is playing on separate device from afar.

• Locked thread