Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Oh please, don't act like your the only nation clinging to a colonial empire, Anglais

:france:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Loving the square the size of Brazil for French Polynesia:

Area
- Total 4,167 km2 (173rd) 1,609 sq mi
- Water (%) 12
- Land area[2] 3,521.2 km2 1,359.5 sq mi

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Spoeank posted:

Loving the square the size of Brazil for French Polynesia:

Area
- Total 4,167 km2 (173rd) 1,609 sq mi
- Water (%) 12
- Land area[2] 3,521.2 km2 1,359.5 sq mi

Gotta nuke something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah I thought they just kept those islands on the books for nuclear testing purposes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Only because they couldn't nuke Africa anymore.

3peat
May 6, 2010

SaltyJesus posted:

Q: What's the easiest way to make a Hungarian cry?
A:

:cry: Treaty of Trianon :cry:

Just yesterday a few thousands Jobbik members crossed the border into Romania and held a protest rally in the city of Targu Mures chanting "Death to Trianon" etc. and had a little battle with the gendarmes; today president Basescu said he proposes to ban Jobbik from Romania (I don't think that's even legally possible).
There was also this thing last year when there was a Hungarian Culture festival in Romania which, like all minority cultural events here, was paid for by the Romanian state; thing is the "festival" consisted of Jobbik types giving speeches and neo-nazi metal bands, so it was practically an extreme right-wing, anti-romanian event financed by the romanian state. That would be funny if it wasn't my tax money going to neo-nazis.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lycus posted:

Only because they couldn't nuke Africa anymore.

So...South America is the only continent that hasn't been nuked?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

You answered yourself I think.

It's a fringe thing in Korea, not widely believed. There are other, less obviously insane but still comically wrong things that are much more widely believed.

Spill it out man, tell us.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kavak posted:

Oh please, don't act like your the only nation clinging to a colonial empire, Anglais

St Pierre and Miquelon is our advanced base for when we retake New France. :france:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

DarkCrawler posted:

So...South America is the only continent that hasn't been nuked?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I like how China, America, and Russia have no claims staked. We'll come for it when we're ready. The rest of the world can play pretend until then.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

3peat posted:

Just yesterday a few thousands Jobbik members crossed the border into Romania and held a protest rally in the city of Targu Mures chanting "Death to Trianon" etc. and had a little battle with the gendarmes; today president Basescu said he proposes to ban Jobbik from Romania (I don't think that's even legally possible).

I've always found it interesting that there are still hundreds of thousands of Hungarians living in the middle of Romania. Are their numbers stable or are they slowly being assimilated?

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 11, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Schizotek posted:

I like how China, America, and Russia have no claims staked. We'll come for it when we're ready. The rest of the world can play pretend until then.

Yeah if they ever find oil or something down there you can bet all the claims will be erased and it will be split in half, one half the US the other Russia.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There's probably tons of petrochemicals in Antarctica, they're just buried underneath a couple miles of ice that makes it pretty hard to figure out where they are exactly.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Peanut President posted:

Yeah if they ever find oil or something down there you can bet all the claims will be erased and it will be split in half, one half the US the other Russia.
Russia, not China?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

rscott posted:

There's probably tons of petrochemicals in Antarctica, they're just buried underneath a couple miles of ice that makes it pretty hard to figure out where they are exactly.

See, Global Climate change is nothing but positives.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Russia, not China?

Has China ever been to Antarctica?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Peanut President posted:

If there was coal there they would tell you they've been there for over 5,000 years and that all other claims are null and void.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Peanut President posted:

Would it matter?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

So they really take that Dugin stuff seriously?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Russia, not China?

Only one of those countries has a navy to speak of.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

Not cost-effective right now. If the US or Russian govts start making noise about Antarctic claims then that is a sign that an accountant at Shell or ConocoPhillips or wherever has updated his Antarctica spreadsheet and discovered something interesting in the result.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Peanut President posted:

By the time it becomes profitable to extract resources in Antarctica, there is no guarantee that the US and Russia will still be able to project force across the globe to the same extent as today. In fact, Russia is looking dubious even today.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

What is that little slice of France there

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

tractor fanatic posted:

What is that little slice of France there

Kavak posted:

They still own a couple islands in the Indian Ocean, so they're able to carve out a portion of Antarctica it looks like.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Only one of those countries has a navy to speak of.

True but the one without is trying to build one and the one with is letting them rot at moorings or selling them to the former.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

withak posted:

Yeah I thought they just kept those islands on the books for nuclear testing purposes.

Population: 268,270

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Farecoal posted:

Population: 268,270

178,000 of which live on Tahiti alone. There are plenty of uninhabited atolls out there.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Wow, that's actually quite impressive.

Is there something in particular that triggered this, or is it a sum of all the various advances in car and road safety?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Raskolnikov38 posted:

178,000 of which live on Tahiti alone. There are plenty of uninhabited atolls out there.

Not for much longer!!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Clapham Omnibus posted:

So America and a few islands? Call that an empire?

:britain:

We never did get over the loss of Hong Kong.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Wow, that's actually quite impressive.

Is there something in particular that triggered this, or is it a sum of all the various advances in car and road safety?

Well over here in Portugal it's because we can't afford cars or gas! :D

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The really impressive thing about this map is how they managed to completely mislabeled it. Look at the legend and then at the individual numbers, it just doesn't mesh.

But the reduction of deaths is interesting. Even in countries that had no economic collapse did the death rate fall.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 11, 2014

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

3peat posted:

There was also this thing last year when there was a Hungarian Culture festival in Romania which, like all minority cultural events here, was paid for by the Romanian state; thing is the "festival" consisted of Jobbik types giving speeches and neo-nazi metal bands, so it was practically an extreme right-wing, anti-romanian event financed by the romanian state. That would be funny if it wasn't my tax money going to neo-nazis.
You don't think it's sad that the blob on the right got screwed over in 1919?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Clapham Omnibus posted:

So America and a few islands? Call that an empire?

:britain:

It's a shame there doesn't seem to be any (easily locatable) versions of this map in an equal area projection. Makes the whole empire look that much more impressive/silly.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Torrannor posted:

The really impressive thing about this map is how they managed to completely mislabeled it. Look at the legend and then at the individual numbers, it just doesn't mesh.

But the reduction of deaths is interesting. Even in countries that had no economic collapse did the death rate fall.

I know they've been building the new type of 2+1 roads with cable barrier like crazy here in Sweden, specifically to reduce the number of roads with meeting traffic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2+1_road

Too bad for MC drivers though, they turn into meatloaf when they hit one of those things.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

cheerfullydrab posted:

You don't think it's sad that the blob on the right got screwed over in 1919?

Why is that blob there, by the way?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Hogge Wild posted:

Probably silver mines.

I just love that Romania looks like an obese fish :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hogge Wild posted:

Leftovers from earlier times? Due to my great history knowledge (courtesy of Crusader Kings 2) I know that the Magyars originated much further east, and when they settled the resulting Kingdom of Hungary claimed a much bigger area than Hungary today, including most of modern day Romania.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 11, 2014