Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

DerekSmartymans posted:

I am buying the new expansion today. Does this include RoF? Is there a giant download (sat internet dl cap is tiny) or do I already have it and I'll just be activating it?

Nooooo just play on Test, all the expansions are freeeeee. Plus all the Gold features for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

DerekSmartymans posted:

I am buying the new expansion today. Does this include RoF? Is there a giant download (sat internet dl cap is tiny) or do I already have it and I'll just be activating it?

Yes, buying CotF includes RoF. I'm pretty sure it's just a flag, there shouldn't be any appreciable download.

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006

Devor posted:

Nooooo just play on Test, all the expansions are freeeeee. Plus all the Gold features for free.

Only play on test if you like being sad and alone, don't listen to this evil man.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Poistiant posted:

Only play on test if you like being sad and alone

Yeah I have friends on EMarr that are in their 70s and 80s, so I don't really want to leave that.

Can a silver account get a new heroic character on it? I was thinking of dual boxing my 48 rogue and an 85 shaman on a silver account to half rear end PL the rogue. But nobody will answer if there is any other program to box with besides ISBoxer. If there is not, I'll probably make my 30 SK heroic just to fart around with and check out some new zones.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yeah I have friends on EMarr that are in their 70s and 80s, so I don't really want to leave that.

Can a silver account get a new heroic character on it? I was thinking of dual boxing my 48 rogue and an 85 shaman on a silver account to half rear end PL the rogue. But nobody will answer if there is any other program to box with besides ISBoxer. If there is not, I'll probably make my 30 SK heroic just to fart around with and check out some new zones.

I moved my EMarr 1999 toon from there to Luclin, then copied to Test. I even lost my name, but it was worth. GoonRush 2013 (or was it 2012?) nevar forgitz.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Midnight City posted:

Half the reason of using Macroquest is to use mounts with old models. The other half is for knowing where people are in the zone to train them effectively.
Argh, EQ and its weak client-based trust. :argh: I also believe that the 30-second wait for camping is purely a client side thing, and that hacks can make you insta-camp anywhere. :rolleyes:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Pilsner posted:

Argh, EQ and its weak client-based trust. :argh: I also believe that the 30-second wait for camping is purely a client side thing, and that hacks can make you insta-camp anywhere. :rolleyes:

Just /ex? Of all the bogus poo poo MQ can do, that's one I don't mind not having at all. Now map, stick, melee, and buff on the other hand :(

xZAOx posted:

I moved my EMarr 1999 toon from there to Luclin, then copied to Test. I even lost my name, but it was worth. GoonRush 2013 (or was it 2012?) nevar forgitz.

It was 2012 because 2013 was year of the Test raid guild becoming a thing. :911: NEVAR FORGET PRECIOUS RYANTEAR AND GNONOTMYBUTT. I don't think I'll ever have even half the amount of fun in any game ever again that I had during Ye Olde Goon Rush. That poo poo was just magic from start to finish. I wonder if <Hail Kodaji Hitler> is still a guild :ohdear: You guys are all awesome as gently caress and I really won't ever forget how goddamn hilarious that period was. I forgot what the sun even looked like for a couple months because any time I wasn't on EQ, I was missing something amazing

Edit: Pilsner, can you pretty please upload your semi-fixed UI? I forgot I can't get to my old poo poo at the moment due to that laptop exploding and me not owning one of those laptop HD enclosures :(

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 11, 2014

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Hey Midnight, didnt ditch you, had family issues come up and it looks like you dont have PMs so this is the only way I can get ahold of you. Hopefully will be back doing some dps in the next day or so.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Pilsner posted:

It is, but it's an 'active' hack and those are pretty easy for them to catch you doing.

MrTheDevious posted:

Just /ex? Of all the bogus poo poo MQ can do, that's one I don't mind not having at all. Now map, stick, melee, and buff on the other hand :(

It's great for classes that don't have an FD to kamikaze run poo poo.

Wayback posted:

Hey Midnight, didnt ditch you, had family issues come up and it looks like you dont have PMs so this is the only way I can get ahold of you. Hopefully will be back doing some dps in the next day or so.

That's cool, between you and Devor you're the only goons I've PL'd that didn't quit in a day.

J
Jun 10, 2001

MrTheDevious posted:

NEVAR FORGET PRECIOUS RYANTEAR AND GNONOTMYBUTT.

I'm just sad that I only got see a very small amount of his trolling before he got banned. :( Even the tiny bit I did see was some of the funniest trolling I've ever seen anywhere, and then you turn that loose on some of the....odd people playing EQ, and good lord.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

J posted:

I'm just sad that I only got see a very small amount of his trolling before he got banned. :( Even the tiny bit I did see was some of the funniest trolling I've ever seen anywhere, and then you turn that loose on some of the....odd people playing EQ, and good lord.

I stand by my statement that Gnonot was literally the best troll that has ever existed in the history of the internet. Anyone who wasn't online after we'd given him a non-goon invite to the guild just for being that awesome, then watched him ultra-troll a GM telling him to quit trolling, missed probably the single best troll that has ever happened. He did eventually get banned, but I'd like to think he was just too beautiful for this world :allears: LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT BUTTCOINS

At least you saw a bit of it! I really feel for the people who never saw any of Ryantear or Gnonot at all. If all of my years of EQ amounted to nothing else (they don't), I'd do it all again just to witness those two firsthand. I am pretty sure I posted extensive screenshots of at least Ryantear in the last thread, but I'm not sure how long they lasted and I can't access them at the moment :cry:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

MrTheDevious posted:

I stand by my statement that Gnonot was literally the best troll that has ever existed in the history of the internet. Anyone who wasn't online after we'd given him a non-goon invite to the guild just for being that awesome, then watched him ultra-troll a GM telling him to quit trolling, missed probably the single best troll that has ever happened. He did eventually get banned, but I'd like to think he was just too beautiful for this world :allears: LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT BUTTCOINS

At least you saw a bit of it! I really feel for the people who never saw any of Ryantear or Gnonot at all. If all of my years of EQ amounted to nothing else (they don't), I'd do it all again just to witness those two firsthand. I am pretty sure I posted extensive screenshots of at least Ryantear in the last thread, but I'm not sure how long they lasted and I can't access them at the moment :cry:

You kept teasing us saying you'd post logs of all the trolling but you never did and it made me really sad.

Bucky_Grid
Jul 21, 2007

Midnight City posted:

That's cool, between you and Devor you're the only goons I've PL'd that didn't quit in a day.

I had a last minute business trip, but will definitely be back next week!

I'll need some shadow knight swarming tips when I get back, if that's even possible anymore.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Midnight City posted:

I went to do the first pre-quest step for the necro and got my poo poo pushed in in embarrassing fashion because I wasn't ready for it at all when I figured my pet would actually last.

Then I decided to go ahead and roll an entire crew up with my heroics since they'll go away soon.

Wizards still loving rock.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Node posted:

You kept teasing us saying you'd post logs of all the trolling but you never did and it made me really sad.

No, there's a crapload somewhere in the last thread of Ryantear from me for sure. I think our gold star Gnonotmybutt is probably lost to infamy though :(

I know Ryantear's there though because I remember how hilarious the whole thing was. Gno was just so beyond everything that came before that I think I missed all his poo poo. I could spend a thousand years doing nothing but coming up with new ways to troll and still not do that trolling beauty justice.

Edit: I'm kinda glad I didn't take any screenshots of that wonderful bastard. Any goon who saw Gnonot happen will tell you...it was just too awesome to be preserved. I'm not sure the entire internet population all focused together on trolling could be as amazing as he was by himself. Truly a god among men. There will just never be another.

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 11, 2014

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

When was the last double xp weekend? Aren't we due for one soon?

I also can't get enough of swarming grounds now with the heroic characters pouring in. Devor called it and warned me how dumb it was going to get but I can't go more than an hour or two before some idiots zone in, see that the entire entrance mobs are all dead, run around trying to find something to pull, then move their entire group right into the middle of the yard and try taking it from me. Like seriously, what did you think was going to happen to you trying to do that to an SK in a guild called Respect Phil Collins? Nothing good is going to come of that decision you fools.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 11, 2014

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.
I'm sure there will be a double XP weekend soon due to Anniversary time (likely the weekend of the 15th or 22nd). Just going off of previous Double XP Weekends around this time of year.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Midnight City posted:

When was the last double xp weekend? Aren't we due for one soon?

I also can't get enough of swarming grounds now with the heroic characters pouring in. Devor called it and warned me how dumb it was going to get but I can't go more than an hour or two before some idiots zone in, see that the entire entrance mobs are all dead, run around trying to find something to pull, then move their entire group right into the middle of the yard and try taking it from me. Like seriously, what did you think was going to happen to you trying to do that to an SK in a guild called Respect Phil Collins? Nothing good is going to come of that decision you fools.

Create a new guild called "Grounds is Camped". Explicit warnings that you'll train them might be over the line.

It doesn't help that Grounds is the pop up that comes up immediately upon dinging 85 with your heroic.

Edit: Anyone have a progression guide for the HoT group content?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Ahh, five day ban from the eqlive forums. Feels good, man.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Devor posted:

Edit: Anyone have a progression guide for the HoT group content?

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Progression_Through_House_of_Thule

To request the missions you have to do all the progression for the zone, but if you're just wanting access to T3/T4 zones then you just need to do the missions, I did the painful work of doing it so I could request them, just find me online and I'll request or do them for your box army.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure you don't have to do them anymore. I was working on HoT progression about a year ago on my last stint and only did the first zone and now I can access the whole shebang. Sanctum Somnium was pretty awesome.

My 3-box team is getting close to 100 and I'm wondering where to start gearing up at that point. It seems I can acquire CotF visible armour by collecting Marks of Valour in HAs, which I'm currently grinding the poo poo out of to level anyway. I'm not really familiar with any of the RoF zones either though, should I be hunting nameds out in Evantil or something?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I may have a few screenshots of the Butt Doctor (tm) lying around. I'll check tonight.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
HoT prog is still pretty fun if you can find someone to request missions for you but if you can't god drat is it agonizing.

From what I read of course, never tried myself outside of the feerott one to burn lesson on ranger. :v:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
CoTF gear is better than RoF but RoF has more augs. When you start doing HoF(t4) there's a super easy mission to round out your nonvisibles. Then there's the group missions in all tiers, most of which have augs to get, and they are fun (chelsith being the best and most deadly.)

Cotf missions are good to run too and mostly easy.

Some interesting stuff is dropping in DH:
Poverty raid loots

darkhand fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 11, 2014

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Oh, apparently I missed the level 100 group vendor in ETWK. HAs it is!

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Just checked it and yeah you don't need the flags anymore for T3/T4 zones, a level 82 was able to zone into all of them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So what's the best way to install from scratch these days? I still have my old Everquest Platinum discs, but would it be better to just download straight from the interwebs?

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Everquest.com, so many zones have been changed that you'd at best save yourself 10-15% of the download by installing from platinum.

Warriors have got to be the most back loaded AA class in the game, from 1-84 buying every AA you can was only 2,500, from 84 to 85 is over 1,000. Crazy.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 12, 2014

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

Midnight City posted:

Warriors have got to be the most back loaded AA class in the game, from 1-84 buying every AA you can was only 2,500, from 84 to 85 is over 1,000. Crazy.

Warriors get a lot of really bizarre AA abilities at 85+. I couldn't even figure out what was worth it and what wasn't when levelling my war.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I'm having some trouble deciding on what character to make level 85 on my old account. My SK is out, that character is so old and I want to catch it up the hard way to see some of the sights. Mostly just sentiment I guess.

I have a secondary account on which I will be grabbing a level 85 shaman because they seem really versatile for two-boxing.

I'm tempted to make a monk because they seem cool but I tend to get bored of pure melee characters without spells (Kick/Backstab/Bash, disciplines with way too long cooldowns)- although the Monk can do enough interesting things to maybe keep my attention better.

Another option would be to boost my level 62 mage, but I'm not sure how well running a mage/shaman duo would work out at all.

Beyond that I have a Ranger, Paladin, Beastlord and Bard in varying stages of low levelness. This is hard :v:

I suppose eventually my SK will just catch up with the shaman for boxing anyway.

Or maybe I'll grab a level 85 bard on the second account and just run /melodies and bring cleric mercs for the healing :v:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 12, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Pet classes annoy me just for the extra pain-in-the-rear end of corralling the pet, the delays in attacking things, etc. But since the pet can tank pretty well, you might want to consider pairing this with your shaman.

Bards are good - they can give overhaste fun stuff, add procs, along with run speed and healing songs. A little annoying to me because the way I like to pull means that I constantly have to toggle his songs off so he doesn't pull aggro when his song hits my puller who only has proximity aggro.

If you're only 2-boxing, wizards probably give the most DPS bang for the buck, are best if you have to burn something down fast, and can do that DPS at range without having to worry about positioning, and they have awesome utility with ports and evacs.

It's slightly tricky evaluating 2-man combos, because you generally want to have 3 things:

Tank
DPS
Support/Utility/Heals - Improves the efficiency of the Tank / DPS. Scales better when you have more of the other types in your group.

In response to your last statement - you DEFINITELY want to bring a cleric along for healing regardless. Your shaman would be slows, and backup healing for tough pulls / nameds. It's insanely nice to not have to be microing your heals.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Medullah posted:

So what's the best way to install from scratch these days? I still have my old Everquest Platinum discs, but would it be better to just download straight from the interwebs?

Yes, download it from the official web site, don't bother with the discs.

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

darkhand posted:

Some interesting stuff is dropping in DH:
Poverty raid loots

Where exactly did you come across this item (zone/mob/mission)? I don't see it on any loot databases.

Edit: Today's patch message says: "- Added many new items that drop randomly in Call of the Forsaken zones. These items are very rare, but can be traded if you do not desire them for your own use." I have to assume the item you linked is referencing exactly that. You must play on Test? Slot 8 and Attuneable; oh boy.

Midnight City posted:

I've played a Warrior for 14 years and I'd be happy to try and answer any question you may have about picking your AA lines at level intervals if you're still stuck.

qxx fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 12, 2014

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

qxx posted:

Where exactly did you come across this item (zone/mob/mission)? I don't see it on any loot databases.

Edit: Today's patch message says: "- Added many new items that drop randomly in Call of the Forsaken zones. These items are very rare, but can be traded if you do not desire them for your own use." I have to assume the item you linked is referencing exactly that. You must play on Test? Slot 8 and Attuneable; oh boy.

I've played a Warrior for 14 years and I'd be happy to try and answer any question you may have about picking your AA lines at level intervals if you're still stuck.

I have an 85 warrior , aa choice isnt so bad (thanks auto grant) and aggro generation is okay but are there abilities that I want to keep up on every pull when I'm tanking? I noticed that the 85 defensive ability (something armor) grants me 500 ac so it seems like I should keep it up on every pull , is there other abilities like this to maximize my not dying?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

You should use jeer/sneer, field armorer, bracing disc, and knuckle break and rallying roar on trash. Keep your shoulder, mask and form of defense clicky running if you have them. Use battle leap for a boost in damage if you want. you can also use commanding voice and keep your champ aura up

For AAs you want ca,cs,nd, armor of wisdom, improved/shield specialist, phalanx of one, warlord tenacity.

Vet wrath, flurry, crit chance, twin proc, weapon affinity for dps.

Eventually you'll want cool down reduction on your major disc, fortitude and final/last stand.

And howl of the warlord is self fade and invis which is nice.

My guild was getting those drops in dead hills HAs

darkhand fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 12, 2014

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

Lumius posted:

I have an 85 warrior , aa choice isnt so bad (thanks auto grant) and aggro generation is okay but are there abilities that I want to keep up on every pull when I'm tanking? I noticed that the 85 defensive ability (something armor) grants me 500 ac so it seems like I should keep it up on every pull , is there other abilities like this to maximize my not dying?

From a tank survivability standpoint I would say, at a base level, during xp grinds you would want to run these all the time:

Champion's Aura (AC and proc mod aura)
Bracing Defense (AC disc)
Field Armorer (AC buff)
Commanding Voice (20% dodge buff)
If you want to get a little lazy, you can cut Commanding Voice out and use Myrmidon Skill clicky. The dodge % will be less until you get Myrmidon Skill XI, at which point you get 20% and can eliminate CV altogether.

Jeer has a Recourse buff which offers some melee mitigation.
Knuckle Smash/Crush/Break/etc... offer a nice debuff to your target but never, ever seem to land reliably. The problem is that is costs a good amount of endurance to attempt it.
Gut Punch is worth spamming as it generates aggro, and has a nice debuff along with it and does not cost endurance.

Beyond spells, using a shield with the highest AC possible and the highest AC aug available to you, with max ranks in Shield Block will make a big difference. Load up on ac/+hdex augs and ac/+hagi augs when +hdex is not available. And use a Metal power source.

All of that stuff is stuff you can have up pretty much all the time when grinding. Make sure you snag a Gladiator's Plate Chestguard of War. It has a nice free click from inventory which gives you a mitigation buff for 4 ticks. It's nice for speed bumping a bigger pull or similar situation.

I'm not going to go on and on about AA's as I'm sure you know the passive/activated AA that give any mitigation are required. But just as a reminder, make sure you are running some sort of Tribute and also Trophy buff. Some of the RoF Trophys are great for boosting AC/hDex/Hps etc

qxx fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 12, 2014

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
It's a shame all the cool abilities come fairly late for warriors.

I'm usually a big fan of running a weapon+shield class, but leveling up warriors is so boring and making my free 85 a warrior seems risky.

I guess I want to be sold on higher level warrior gameplay.

My perspective on warriors is like 10 years old when it was like, turn on auto-attack, Kick, Taunt, occasionally use discipline with long cooldown. And at the low levels it still seems that way except for the addition of the provoke type abilities. I need to be updated :shrug:

I'm not talking about the actual job of tanking, I'm just talking about....uh..buttons to click in response to what is happening around me. I'm spoiled by casters and hybrids.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 12, 2014

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Warrior group game is definitely more evolved, but warrior is still one of the most passive classes to play IMO. A lot of our discs do marginally nothing, in the grand scheme of things there is no need to click most of them.

With a legit player healer and your disc running you're basically unkillable to most encounters, equivalent to a knight with a merc.

Did I sell it to you yet? :shepicide:

There's stuff to click and it benefits you, it's just not apparent like a DPs burn, it's more like 10%more mitigation, etc.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 12, 2014

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.
Ya, I've played this same Warrior for a long rear end time and enjoyed it but I'm sort of 'used to' the situation you are describing. When I group, I box a SHM and NEC and, after the initial pull, don't ever go back to the WAR's screen; it's that passive when things are mundane. When things get spicy, it's push 10 other buttons and back to being passive. Raiding as a WAR is definitely more enjoyable but in the grand scheme, not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Thanks guys. I think I'll pass on warriors for the moment. I don't plan on raiding and I still have my old troll SK if I want to play a plate class.

Also, is it just me or is the quality of the visual armor design on the Luclin models wildly inconsistent? Plate especially tends to look really boring and also kind of sloppily clumped onto the torso, while some others, like leather armors on barbarians, and halflings in chain armor have a very high level of detail. Maybe because the plate armor is an extra object and the leather and chain ones are mostly just textures on the model?

I still want to try a paladin but I'm also having trouble finding a race/gender combo that looks good in plate and can be paladins. Perhaps female high elves, that long dress with armor overlaid looks kind of cool.

Edit: poo poo, I forgot frogloks can be paladins. I always wanted a frog.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 12, 2014