Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
My contract with Telus is about to expire. I currently pay $58/month before tax for unlimited text, 350 anytime voice minutes, call display (which I had to pay an extra $8 for, uck), and 500MB of data.

Tell me how to voodoo retentions and what I could be expected to swing from them. My plan isn't awesome, but it's still better than paying $70/month for the same thing. I really don't care about talk time, but I would like more data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR
If you're not subsidizing your phone through them anymore, I think that's paying a little more than you have to.

For example I pay $41/month total (after tax and other fees) for :
- 450 minutes, canada-wide
- free evenings (after 17:00) & weekends
- 600 mb data
- unlimited text/picture, voicemail, caller id

But it comes with the expense of Bell and its affiliates spamming me with telemarketers. I signed up when there was a promotion, but http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/silver.html?itcid=LP:142 might help give you additional leverage. Unfortunately I wasn't ever successful negotiating with the cell providers.

rt_hat fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 7, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Bamabalacha posted:

My contract with Telus is about to expire. I currently pay $58/month before tax for unlimited text, 350 anytime voice minutes, call display (which I had to pay an extra $8 for, uck), and 500MB of data.

$60 a month would get you unlimited calling/texting/long distance in Canada and 2gb of data a month with Koodo. Most of the other discount brands offer similar pricing. Seems reasonable to expect retentions to match that.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
Coming up on the end of my Rogers slavery. I don't even have the energy to try and fight for something better with them at this point, I think I'm just going to see what Wind and Mobilicity will offer me. $50 vs $70 and getting way more data out of it to boot seems like a no-brainer right? Any pitfalls to consider? I live in Burnaby so it should be a decent wind zone.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

lizzyinthesky posted:

Coming up on the end of my Rogers slavery. I don't even have the energy to try and fight for something better with them at this point, I think I'm just going to see what Wind and Mobilicity will offer me. $50 vs $70 and getting way more data out of it to boot seems like a no-brainer right? Any pitfalls to consider? I live in Burnaby so it should be a decent wind zone.

Here's Wind's coverage for Burnaby and surrounding area:

This is what $30 gets you:
- Up to $100 in Bring/Buy Your Own Phone Credits or WINDtab
- Unlimited Province-wide Calling
- Unlimited Canada-wide WIND-to-WIND Calling
- Unlimited Canada-wide Texting
- Unlimited Canada/US wide Picture/Video Messaging
- Unlimited Data (Fair Usage Policy Applies) - It's 5gb before they throttle you; another $10 gets you another 5gb, for 10 GIGAbytes per month before throttling.
- Call Control (Caller ID, Missed Call Alerts, Conference Calling, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting)
- No Hidden Fees, System Access Fees, 911 Fees or Activation Fees
- Use your features anywhere on our network

That's what I got two months ago. $45.20 for 10gb data per month and unlimited minutes and texts to everywhere that matters.
$100 credit ($5/mo) for bringing a Nexus 5 I bought days before, which I put towards the extra data.
gently caress Rogers. gently caress them to Hell. Rogers delenda est.

Obviously, this only really works if you're a city mouse. Country mice can't really apply. :(

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 8, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mister Macys posted:

Here's Wind's coverage for Burnaby and surrounding area:

Wow I manage to live in the only high population density part of that entire map that isn't red (the O in North Vancouver). Can't really think of a reason why that would be.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

leidend posted:

Wow I manage to live in the only high population density part of that entire map that isn't red (the O in North Vancouver). Can't really think of a reason why that would be.

The silos and trains on the low road interfere with the signal. AWS has horrible penetration. But honestly, I've never had a problem trying to use my WIND tablet anywhere in Lonsdale.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Did anyone see the new Rogers Next program? For the low low price of $25 per month (extra), you can buy a brand new phone every year!

So basically give Rogers $300 and they'll let you have a phone. How generous.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
So that's $300 on top of the $199 or whatever you have to pay for the subsidized price of the phone?

edit: vvvv Wow, what a ripoff.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

leidend posted:

Did anyone see the new Rogers Next program? For the low low price of $25 per month (extra), you can buy a brand new phone every year!

So basically give Rogers $300 and they'll let you have a phone. How generous.

As well, when you use this "Next" program to upgrade your phone, you have to give back your previous one in working order, so you're not even buying a phone, it's like a leasing program.

I'll stick to buying Nexus devices, thanks Rogers.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
It's a good thing for Rogers that people are generally bad at both math and money.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

DarkJC posted:

So that's $300 on top of the $199 or whatever you have to pay for the subsidized price of the phone?

edit: vvvv Wow, what a ripoff.

It should be noted that subscribers of the "Next" program get the subsidized price of the phone ($199 in your example) waived, up to $250. But yes, you do have to trade in the old phone.

$300 is clearly lower then $699, but there are other factors too, like what if the old phone is not in tradable condition? Or you don't want to trade it in? What if there's not a phone you want to buy in exactly one year? or what if that phone is more then $250?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The answer to all of those questions is "Don't worry, Rogers will find a different way to screw you."

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

WienerDog posted:

$300 is clearly lower then $699, but there are other factors too, like what if the old phone is not in tradable condition? Or you don't want to trade it in? What if there's not a phone you want to buy in exactly one year? or what if that phone is more then $250?

You also save $20/month on most of their plans if you bring your own phone, so you're giving that up too I'd imagine.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

All these contortions over financing phones and the real solution is staring everyone in the face: phone financing and service cost need to be disaggregated. I'd be quite happy to see this legislated.

It won't happen anytime soon if ever - but I can dream.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lexicon posted:

phone financing and service cost need to be disaggregated. I'd be quite happy to see this legislated.

And contracts outlawed entirely

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

mewse posted:

And contracts outlawed entirely

For service, sure. For financing, that would have to be contractual, or it couldn't happen.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lexicon posted:

For service, sure. For financing, that would have to be contractual, or it couldn't happen.

Financing what if handset subsidies are banned

e: oh you guys are talking about keeping "financing", pretty sure they'd just become leases or loans if they aren't attached to a service

mewse fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 12, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

mewse posted:

e: oh you guys are talking about keeping "financing", pretty sure they'd just become leases or loans if they aren't attached to a service

financing means a loan

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mewse posted:

Financing is like a loan, like financing a car, not necessarily attached to a service.

e:fb

mewse
May 2, 2006

Stop illiteracy-shaming me please

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rogers finally got more specific for Samsung kitkat updates: tomorrow for s4 and late March for Note 3.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

leidend posted:

Rogers finally got more specific for Samsung kitkat updates: tomorrow for s4 and late March for Note 3.

Is that all the way up to 4.4.2? Because earlier ones had Exchange issues, right?

Or does that not matter since Samsung modifies the Email app anyway?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aphrodite posted:

Is that all the way up to 4.4.2? Because earlier ones had Exchange issues, right?

Or does that not matter since Samsung modifies the Email app anyway?

Their page says 4.4 but I'd be shocked if it wasn't 4.4.2

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/GeneralCareSupport/thread-id/355

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
It's 4.4.2 unless something changed last minute

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just got 4.4.2 OTA on Rogers for my Note 3. Virtually no differences other than the white battery icon.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Camera shortcut
Added Emoji
Ability to change default SMS/MMS app and launcher
Improved location services
Wireless printing [lol]
Upgraded Google services apps
Upgraded Gear Manager software

There's your change log, afaik.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Godinster posted:

Camera shortcut
Added Emoji
Ability to change default SMS/MMS app and launcher
Improved location services
Wireless printing [lol]
Upgraded Google services apps
Upgraded Gear Manager software

There's your change log, afaik.

-I use Nova launcher so already had camera shortcut
-I use go sms pro so already had emoji for texts and use swiftkey otherwise so changes to Google keyboard are irrelevant
-I could already change default sms on touchwiz
-I could already wireless print through hp app (lol indeed, can't see myself needing this)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They didn't have wireless printing in Touchwiz before?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

leidend posted:

-I use Nova launcher so already had camera shortcut
-I use go sms pro so already had emoji for texts and use swiftkey otherwise so changes to Google keyboard are irrelevant
-I could already change default sms on touchwiz
-I could already wireless print through hp app (lol indeed, can't see myself needing this)

I'm not selling you on it, just letting you know.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Wireless carriers quietly hike prices over weekend

Without any fanfare, Canadas big three wireless carriers hiked the base prices for new plans by $5 in most markets over the weekend. Rogers, Telus and Bell Mobility now all charge $80 per month for new smartphone plans with a new contract, $5 more than those same plans cost when they were introduced last year. The prices for other smartphone plans with more data cost upwards of $145. The price hikes affect every province except Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Link

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

spoof posted:

Wireless carriers quietly hike prices over weekend

Without any fanfare, Canadas big three wireless carriers hiked the base prices for new plans by $5 in most markets over the weekend. Rogers, Telus and Bell Mobility now all charge $80 per month for new smartphone plans with a new contract, $5 more than those same plans cost when they were introduced last year. The prices for other smartphone plans with more data cost upwards of $145. The price hikes affect every province except Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Link

I know it's almost a tired cliche at this point to even ask... but how is this not an open and shut collusion case? I don't think you'll find a person in the country who genuinely believes this to be coincidence.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, this is just entering into the territory of the absurd here. I also highly doubt anything will be done about it. loving joke our telecommunications sector is.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
They'll probably say there's no collusion. Carriers compete with each other on numerous other variables besides price, so they aren't afraid to increase prices. One carrier can raise their prices and be perfectly content that the others will do the same, because hey, "our carrier is the best right? We've got the best network, best devices, best customer service, so who wouldn't want to be with us! We can raise our prices to match the others, because we don't need to be cheaper to be better!"

Again, I'm not justifying this practice or saying it makes sense to a customer in any way. This is just roughly how carriers think. Also, Koodo and Fido announced price increases last week. I was on vacation and didn't know about what the plans were going to change to, but as soon as I read that I knew the carriers were going to declare open season on prices after that

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

OilSlick posted:

They'll probably say there's no collusion. Carriers compete with each other on numerous other variables besides price

Variables such as

1) Colour preference: red, green, or blue.

That's pretty much it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

OilSlick posted:

Carriers compete with each other on numerous other variables besides price

Like what? Plans are extremely similar, same device range, same bullshit marketing claims, I'm not sure why you're kidding yourself here.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Like what? Plans are extremely similar, same device range, same bullshit marketing claims, I'm not sure why you're kidding yourself here.

To be fair, OilSlick may have meant that carriers would claim that they compete on other factors. They clearly don't, in actuality. As you say, there's nothing really left to compete on.

TheZodiac
Feb 2, 2004
Look at this poo poo from VirginMobileCanada

From

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/bell/virgin-mobile-plans-march-18/

Looks like just prior to summer is the time to introduce new monthly plans by carriers with a slight price increase. We saw this with Rogers, Fido, Telus, Koodo, Bell and now Virgin Mobile. The latter is set to debut new plans on Tuesday, March 18 according to an internal doc reports MobileSyrup.

Here are the new Silver Plans (which offer $200 in subsidies) coming March 18; weve noted the changes in brackets compared to current plans:

$34/month ($5 increase): 200 minutes, 50MB data, 5pm evenings
$39/month (loss of 100mins/100MB): 300 minutes, 300MB data, 5pm evenings
$44/month ($2 increase): 500 minutes, 500MB data, 5pm evenings
$54/month ($2 increase, 250MB less): 1000 minutes, 750MB data, 5pm evenings
$64/month ($2 increase, 1.5GB less): unlimited minutes, 1GB data
$74/month ($2 increase, 1.5GB less): unlimited minutes, 2GB data
For the new Gold Plans (which offer $300 in subsidies), all you have to do is add $5/month to each Silver Plan. This model now is the same across Fido, Koodo and Virgin Mobile.

Existing Silver 29 and Gold 34 plans will remain available until March 31.

Also, Platinum 75 is increasing by $5/month to become Platinum 80 (unlimited minutes, 500MB; up to $700 in subsidies a.k.a. new iPhone contracts).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm never getting rid of my 6GB/$30 addon, jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
People in Saskatchewan will still bitch about rate plans despite them having ridiculously good deals comparatively.