Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010

Spiffster posted:

Go back to gen 1 and think of all the things that are different that we take for granted now.

1. Want to surf, cut, whatever? gotta go through the start menu, even if it's multiple times. At least strength is active the entire time as long as you don't enter a new map.
2. No registered multiple used item. Gotta go through the menu screen again without pressing select and dig through the bag.
3. Speaking of Items, all items are in a single bag instead of having dedicated areas. Key items, Pokeballs, Tm's, Health items, all in the same bag.
4. Want to use an item finder? Have fun with that, it works... in the loosest sense of the term. It's sadly easier to just waltz around spamming the a button to stumble upon things.
5. No Breeding. Don't have both versions or know someone with the other one, screw you and your mission. You'll never be a master
6. No hold items. Just think about how much less versitile your pokemon can be without your leftovers berries or vests!

There are many more but these are the most jarring things you experience when you travel way back and play the oldest games. It just feels weird...

Ah, I remember those days. Only 150 pokemon … classic, though. Now there's way too many to even know a 1/3 of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
The thing I miss most from Gen 1 (as well as 2 and 3) is that your rival is actually your rival and not just some friends of yours.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

So aside from the Looker Bureau, what is there in terms of post Elite 4 content on X/Y? I've already picked up Zygarde and Mewtwo (in premier balls because :spergin:) and have no idea how to trigger Zapdos encounters.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Nth Doctor posted:

So aside from the Looker Bureau, what is there in terms of post Elite 4 content on X/Y? I've already picked up Zygarde and Mewtwo (in premier balls because :spergin:) and have no idea how to trigger Zapdos encounters.

Battle Facilities.

Becoming the most Fabulous person in Kalos.

That's about it.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
With experience share going to every pokemon in your lineup, regardless if they're involved in the battle, does that imply that they're stats are affected in a negative way (meaning it doesn't level properly in stats).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Can of Cloud posted:

With experience share going to every pokemon in your lineup, regardless if they're involved in the battle, does that imply that they're stats are affected in a negative way (meaning it doesn't level properly in stats).

Nope. Experience Share generates way more experience than there actually is, so using it is essentially easy mode.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

ChaosArgate posted:

Nope. Experience Share generates way more experience than there actually is, so using it is essentially easy mode.

Pretty sure it used to be The pokemon in battle got half the experience and the rest was divided to your team... or am I misremembering things from older generations...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Spiffster posted:

Pretty sure it used to be The pokemon in battle got half the experience and the rest was divided to your team... or am I misremembering things from older generations...

Generation 6 doesn't divide EXP. It gives the full yield to every pokemon that participates. If the Exp. Share is turned on, it gives half that amount to every pokemon that didn't.

Edit: the generation 1 Exp. All divided half the experience yield among the pokemon that participated, and divides the full yield (not half of it) equally among all pokemon in the party whether they participated or not. The gen 2-5 Exp. Share has half the experience yield be divided among the participants, and half divided among party members holding an Exp. Share.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 11, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Spiffster posted:

Exp. Share used to be a hold item that gave its holder half of the experience from battle. The remaining half was divided evenly among the Pokemon that battled. Before that, the Exp. All in Gen 1 worked like the Gen 6 Exp. Share except it didn't generate experience so everyone just got 1/6th of the experience total.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Can of Cloud posted:

If you're talking about EV-training, then this is correct. You'll wanna turn it on/off strategically, depending on the situation.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ChaosArgate posted:

Exp. Share used to be a hold item that gave its holder half of the experience from battle. The remaining half was divided evenly among the Pokemon that battled. Before that, the Exp. All in Gen 1 worked like the Gen 6 Exp. Share except it didn't generate experience so everyone just got 1/6th of the experience total.

Gen one had an EV system as well right? Did EV's transfer as well like they do in 6 or did they only go to the active pokemon

Edit: Crap mixed things up again.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Spiffster posted:

Gen one had an EV system as well right? Did EV's transfer as well like they do in 6 or did they only go to the active pokemon

Edit: Crap mixed things up again.

They weren't EVs in Gen 1 or 2 and the EXP all didn't share with anyone who didn't battle.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ChaosArgate posted:

They weren't EVs in Gen 1 or 2 and the EXP all didn't share with anyone who didn't battle.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know much about EV's and IV's until last generation so I didn't know how far that buneary Rabbit hole went.

VVVV Edit: Thanks for even More info.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 11, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Generation 1 and 2 used a different system than EVs, which the fans call Stat Experience. They worked differently than EVs; there was no cap on the cumulative total that could be earned in a stat, so a pokemon could theoretically max out all their stats. There were diminishing returns for the increases gained in this way, however. Stat Experience was not distributed by the Exp. All or Exp. Share.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Fire Red question - do I need the National Dex to get my legendary dog post-E4? Google is offering conflicting info.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bongo Bill posted:

Generation 1 and 2 used a different system than EVs, which the fans call Stat Experience. They worked differently than EVs; there was no cap on the cumulative total that could be earned in a stat, so a pokemon could theoretically max out all their stats. There were diminishing returns for the increases gained in this way, however. Stat Experience was not distributed by the Exp. All or Exp. Share.

There is a cap on Stat XP: up to 65535 per stat, good for 63 points at level 100.

The difference is that you can get all 63 points in every stat, whereas that's not possible with EVs.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I just noticed the lady reporting announcements from the Holocaster is Malva. Wooooahhh how did I not notice that.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Pureauthor posted:

Battle Facilities.

Becoming the most Fabulous person in Kalos.

That's about it.
There's a couple of other things, like finding all the Mega Stones and finding different fossils from previous generations in Glittering Cave (the Gen 1 fossils appear in Y, Gen 3 in X and Gens 4 and 5 appear in both). And Friend Safaris. Other than that, it's very much Making Your Own Entertainment.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

avlein posted:

I just want a more expanded version of Pokémon Amie. Let me do more than pet my Pokes or feed them unhealthy snacks dammit! :argh:

I want a whole pokemon breeder spinoff game thats just like a detailed virtual pet game :allears:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

Fire Red question - do I need the National Dex to get my legendary dog post-E4? Google is offering conflicting info.

Although I've never really tried, it would make sense for it to be post National Dex, since they don't even let you get any Gen 2 onwards Pokemon beforehand. Bulbapedia says after National, so I'm inclined to believe them.

Have fun finding it too!

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
How do you receive the Celebi that comes with Pokebank? I've already deposited Pokemon to it. Is it a mystery gift? Where do I go in game to get it?

When I opened PB, it said I had a new gift but I never received my old one that's waiting for me, and if I don't get it, the gift will be lost or something?

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Choose "Pokemon Link" after the Pokemon X/Y title screen, instead of selecting your save game.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think I had more fun with the card game (paper and the video game) than I did with anything else in the generation one games. I was a Sony kid, so I didn't have Pokemon Stadium to play, or else that would have better shaped my memories of that generation.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

MustelaFuro posted:

How do you receive the Celebi that comes with Pokebank? I've already deposited Pokemon to it. Is it a mystery gift? Where do I go in game to get it?

When I opened PB, it said I had a new gift but I never received my old one that's waiting for me, and if I don't get it, the gift will be lost or something?

Should be either in the transfer box or box one of pokebank. Don't remember which.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Crosspeice posted:

Although I've never really tried, it would make sense for it to be post National Dex, since they don't even let you get any Gen 2 onwards Pokemon beforehand. Bulbapedia says after National, so I'm inclined to believe them.

Have fun finding it too!

Cool, happy to trust Bulba on it. I've got a date with some pokéballs!

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I want to say thank you for the really good OP. I played the heck out of Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, and Silver.

I'm about to play Pokemon X/Y for the first time and I have that feeling I had when I first played Blue. It just feels, I dunno, I think it is going to be cool.

Are there any big mistakes I want to avoid making? For example, in Red/Blue, you messed up if you let your Mewtwo not learn Amnesia. It was one of the best moves and he couldn't relearn it later (no move tutors yet).

Are there any "one time events" in X/Y you don't want to mess up? I know this game is supposed to be relaxed, but I played it obessively and I have a lot of learning to do. There's what, over 400 new Pokemon now?

I hope I'm not in over my head. I basically have been missing in action for 2-3 generations...

Now, what starter am I going to pick...

How soon until I can trade with other people? I know in past games they limited some trading until the game was beaten. I want a Ditto and a Chikorita ASAP. I also want a Gastly. Screw the new Pokemon I want to use Kanto/Johto creatures and clean up old school style!

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 12, 2014

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Spectacle Rock posted:

I want to say thank you for the really good OP. I played the heck out of Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, and Silver.

I'm about to play Pokemon X/Y for the first time and I have that feeling I had when I first played Blue. It just feels, I dunno, I think it is going to be cool.

Are there any big mistakes I want to avoid making? For example, in Red/Blue, you messed up if you let your Mewtwo not learn Amnesia. It was one of the best moves and he couldn't relearn it later (no move tutors yet).

Are there any "one time events" in X/Y you don't want to mess up? I know this game is supposed to be relaxed, but I played it obessively and I have a lot of learning to do. There's what, over 400 new Pokemon now?

I hope I'm not in over my head. I basically have been missing in action for 2-3 generations...

How soon until I can trade with other people? I know in past games they limited some trading until the game was beaten. I want a Ditto and a Chikorita ASAP. I also want a Gastly. Screw the new Pokemon I want to use Kanto/Johto creatures and clean up old school style!

Pretty much nothing is missable unless you deliberately go out to faint legendaries, I guess.

TMs are reusable forever now, and moves can be relearned at a pittance in a town. Even egg moves that you bred on.

You can trade as soon as you have an online friend and a second Pokemon. Go nuts!

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Thanks avlein, that's all I needed to hear :)

Gotta catch em all!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hey add me and post your FC, I've got a ton of little baby Gastly in premiere balls with nearly perfect stats. Just catch me a caterpillar or one of them ugly-rear end rabbits to trade for it.

4957-2717-6981 Mii: Travis In-game: Hail Satan

In fact catch as much junk as you want; I'll hook you up with some good monsters

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Spectacle Rock posted:

Thanks avlein, that's all I needed to hear :)

Gotta catch em all!

If you need chicorita's I've got luxury ball ones for trade. Won't be able to trade until tomorrow though. If you are interested, My Friend code is 1848-1671-4795

Maybe tonight if its in the next half hour or so. Let me know.

Edit: also have Cyndaquils and Dratini's if you really want that old school feel

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 12, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I know I keep saying Snivy is my favorite but Serperior probably saw the least action out of everyone. Too bad it doesn't learn any damaging Poison-type attacks, it should.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Should of just made Serperior grass/dragon so it would actually be notable. Oh what could of been :smith:

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Travis343 posted:

Hey add me and post your FC, I've got a ton of little baby Gastly in premiere balls with nearly perfect stats. Just catch me a caterpillar or one of them ugly-rear end rabbits to trade for it.

4957-2717-6981 Mii: Travis In-game: Hail Satan

In fact catch as much junk as you want; I'll hook you up with some good monsters
Are breeding rejects ok? I have a lot of female Minccino in luxury balls.

FC: 4339-2627-8716
IGN: Txn

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Travis343 posted:

one of them ugly-rear end rabbits
I'm going to assume you're referring to Plusle/Minun, because Diggersby is a boss. :colbert:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Spectacle Rock posted:

Along with what everyone else has been posting, I've got some perfect Venonats and one perfect Nidoking you can have.

I can also trade you a really good Fennekin (with four moves it can only get through breeding) and Froakie (with its incredibly good Hidden Ability), both with beneficial natures and stats bred to perfection if you change your mind about the newer ones. (I also have a lot of Ralts, Honedges, and Skiddos with similar stats if you are at all interested in any of those.)

IGN: ミサキ FC: 1590-4804-3673

Edit: Forgot my original offers completely for some reason.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 12, 2014

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Txn posted:

Are breeding rejects ok? I have a lot of female Minccino in luxury balls.

FC: 4339-2627-8716
IGN: Txn

Well I was talking to the dude who wanted a Gastly but heck, I've got enough to go around. I added you

Crosscontaminant posted:

I'm going to assume you're referring to Plusle/Minun, because Diggersby is a boss. :colbert:

Diggersby could be the best thing since sliced bread but Bunnelby is still the ugliest pokemon in the game

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Internet Kraken posted:

Should of just made Serperior grass/dragon so it would actually be notable. Oh what could of been :smith:
It'd also help if they'd finally release it's Hidden ability. I have no idea why the left the Unova and Johto starters (as well as a few ledgendaries) hanging; they released almost everything else, including the Gen 6 starters. Although for the Johto starters, then you'd have to choose between their Hidden abilities and cool Colosseum Pokeballs.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

That would be interesting, but ugh of course it would be 4x weak to Ice.

Edit:

fade5 posted:

It'd also help if they'd finally release it's Hidden ability. I have no idea why the left the Unova and Johto starters (as well as a few ledgendaries) hanging; they released almost everything else, including the Gen 6 starters. Although for the Johto starters, then you'd have to choose between their Hidden abilities and cool Colosseum Pokeballs.

Considering Feraligatr's hidden ability is Sheer Force... yeah I'm cool with putting it in a regular ball.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Travis343 posted:

Well I was talking to the dude who wanted a Gastly but heck, I've got enough to go around. I added you
I should read posts more carefully. :doh:

Edit: Thanks!

OgretailFood fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
To have one of my longest-ever Singles runs ended by a double team-and-roost-spamming Zapdos is a god damned INSULT, Battle Maison. I think you and me need to take a long-rear end break while you reflect on the nature of rear end in a top hat Tactics and what they do to our friendship.

• Locked thread