Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

caberham posted:

Perhaps if the description was more elaborate?

"Free land" was actually land which was taken from First Nations people and given to European Settlers at no cost.

That's still leaves 'free land for European immigrants' as true though.

It's not a whitewash to say that's what attracted people, even if that's not where they were able to settle. It wouldn't be the first time the US has pulled a major bait and switch on somebody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Armyman25 posted:

Up until 1910 there were more people living in rural areas than in urban areas.

http://www2.census.gov/prod2/decennial/documents/16440598v2ch02.pdf

Yeah but the question is how many were immigrants and how many immigrants went to cities vs seeking land.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Some Guy TT posted:

How many recent immigrants actually came for that land instead of just settling in the cities with the immigrant communities that were already there? That's not a dickish question trying to minimize your point, I'm genuinely curious. For the most part US population centers are still in cities and that's not where the free land was.

What's "recent?" There hasn't been a homestead program as such anywhere since 1986, and agriculture has been significantly consolidated since then.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This thread just seems to skip from critique from critique and if it touches anything that could be construed as positive someone throws out a non-sequitor like "only if you were white" in a conversation about European immigration, with the clear implication that the reader should come to a negative value judgment, and then moves on to something else you can say something negative about.

The thread is tendentious and it's annoying.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Some Guy TT posted:

How many recent immigrants actually came for that land instead of just settling in the cities with the immigrant communities that were already there? That's not a dickish question trying to minimize your point, I'm genuinely curious. For the most part US population centers are still in cities and that's not where the free land was.

It depends on the immigrant group and the era. The Chinese, for example, ended up building railroads. My own ancestors, the Polish, scraped up what money they could, moved to the area in and around Pennsylvania, and bought land to farm. Their intent was to farm up a fair load of cash and go back home. Then World War 2 happened and they decided they liked it better here, you know where there WASN'T a war happening, and hung around. The Irish mostly seemed to have settled in the cities that their boats landed at.

Amused to Death posted:

I think is really dependent on where you go to school because America is not singular entity, it's a continent wide country of thousands of school districts in each district different ethnic groups dominated. Like in this heavily Italian place we learned about the Italian immigration wave, discrimination they faced, and how the immigration laws in 1921 were basically an attempt to keep more grease balls from entering.

There is some variety, I'll grant you that. The version I got was "white people are awesome and invented everything that matters." I've spoken to a fair number of people who got the same version. drat near all of my high school history study was devoted to books that were nothing but, cover to cover, the "America, gently caress yeah!" version. I didn't learn just how badly immigrants had it until later in life and the only time abuse of the natives was mentioned was the Trail of Tears, which wasn't spoken of as "yeah this was a lovely thing that we did, let's not do it again" it was "just the price of progress." They didn't even mention why it was called the Trail of Tears. Everything that was mentioned was various conflicts with the natives which were always prefaced with "in our defense, they started it."

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

This thread subforum just seems to skip from critique from critique and if it touches anything that could be construed as positive someone throws out a non-sequitor like "only if you were white" in a conversation about European immigration, with the clear implication that the reader should come to a negative value judgment, and then moves on to something else you can say something negative about.

Fixed that for you.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Arglebargle III posted:

This thread just seems to skip from critique from critique and if it touches anything that could be construed as positive someone throws out a non-sequitor like "only if you were white" in a conversation about European immigration, with the clear implication that the reader should come to a negative value judgment, and then moves on to something else you can say something negative about.

The thread is tendentious and it's annoying.

Yeah I don't get it. This is D&D, I don't think there's a major prevailing notion of the standard 'it wasn't so bad for da blacks why can't they get a job, jus like my immigrant granfadder!?' that people would feel the need to push back against. White supremacy was and is a central pillar of American consciousness for a lot of people but that doesn't mean every single issue that comes up needs to be tethered to it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Regardless of the motivations for immigration and settlement, calling it "Free land!" without regards to how the land was obtained is disingenuous. Everyone knew it wasn't really *free*. Natives are only savages and don't deserve this land.

Sorry, I'm not trying to antagonize anyone here :ohdear: Nowadays, the Mid West makes good craft beer

Amused to Death posted:

Yeah but the question is how many were immigrants and how many immigrants went to cities vs seeking land.

I would be curious about these figures as well. Can you just drop your "free land starter kit" and just look for work in the cities?

Granted, "free land" is a big allure and lots of people settling in were farmers. But man, cultivating that was hard hard work. Ok, time to play the Oregon trail again. Can someone elaborate on that trail? Can someone please tell me more about settlement of the western territories?

Lincoln was assassinated 1865 and swaths of land was still considered Territories instead of States right? So does that mean land was still free and open for settlement well into the 1900's? That you have the roaring 20's and Al Capone, and you also have "Territories"?

This reminds me of the TV show Deadwood. People want land to be incorporated as a state because of having official title to land, making State laws, Federal funding, and protection right?

caberham fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 10, 2014

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Oh, and just as a reminder- I posed this question in the first place because I find the idea that our country was founded on the idea of free land hilarious, given that modern conservative talking points insist that free stuff is the worstest most unamerican thing either. So even if we weren't complaining about how bad white people were it was still kind of a mean-spirited question anyway.

It puts a lot of things into perspective though. Like, I can see why Oklahomans call themselves Sooners with pride. They were just living up to the American principles of free land which the greedy federal government wasn't giving them fast enough!

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Much of my family immigrated to the US to farm in the very late 1800s to the very early 1900s so I would assume there was still free or inexpensive land at that time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

caberham posted:

Lincoln was assassinated 1865 and swaths of land was still considered Territories instead of States right? So does that mean land was still free and open for settlement well into the 1900's? That you have the roaring 20's and Al Capone, and you also have "Territories"?

So up until 1912 with the admittance of Arizona there were still technically territories in the continental United States and the last stragglers of the Indian Wars hung on until 1924.

To answer your question crudely, while Al Capone is mucking about there are 48 states (one of whom is about 10 years old) and the 300 year Indian War is still on going. This isn't really the wild west period like you see in films and TV, though, its the last sputtering gasps of an era that had already had a time limit placed on it in 1868 when basically all the modern state borders were drawn up and that by 1875 had finished off the last major Native American military powers.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 10, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

America was super awesome to come to because Europe was a shot hole at the time. It's the same as today, with immigrants seeking better wages abroad. I guess people in this thread forget how awful it was to be a poor person at the time? I can't really gauge what people think American history of immigration is, but it's been a long long time since anglo/Franco immigrants made up a large share. It has always been immigrants from poor areas. First waves had Germans and Irish and Chinese and then slabs and south east europeans. Like today, half of them went back to their home country after making some money, while the other half decided they liked it and stayed.

Then our first immigration laws banned Chinese labor because of racism and hurr stealing white jobs. Then by the 20s actual immigration laws are in place which effectively ban all immigration to America because of fear of Slavic and southern European political activiets. '65 is when our modern system came about, hilariously enacted with zero fanfare because no one thought anyone would come immigrate to America en masse.

Most bizarrely given modern discourse, Mexicans enjoyed for the longest time very favorable immigration status due to the nature of treaties we had post Mexican war recognizing Mexicans as "white" which was a precondition for immigration. Coupled with low border enforcement and the traditional porous nature of the border, Mexicans were able to come and go as they pleased until the modernizing reforms of '65.

Other honorable mentions for consideration is the anti ellis island of the west coast, angel island Which was more of a prison than a processing center for Asian immigrants.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 10, 2014

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

caberham posted:

Though there were still territories, the frontier was more or less considered closed in 1890 during the Benjamin Harrison administration. In 1889-90, six states were admitted: North Dakota and South Dakota (November 2, 1889), Montana (November 8, 1889), Washington (November 11, 1889), Idaho (July 3, 1890), and Wyoming (July 10, 1890).

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Berke Negri posted:

Then our first immigration laws banned Chinese labor because of racism and hurr stealing white jobs. Then by the 20s actual immigration laws are in place which effectively ban all immigration to America because of fear of Slavic and southern European political activiets. '65 is when our modern system came about, hilariously enacted with zero fanfare because no one thought anyone would come immigrate to America en masse.

Most bizarrely given modern discourse, Mexicans enjoyed for the longest time very favorable immigration status due to the nature of treaties we had post Mexican war recognizing Mexicans as "white" which was a precondition for immigration. Coupled with low border enforcement and the traditional porous nature of the border, Mexicans were able to come and go as they pleased until the modernizing reforms of '65.

This might interest some folks:

http://chinahistorypodcast.com/china_history_podcast_044-the_chinese_exclusion_act_of_1882

quote:

In an effort to bring some understanding to the recent proposed call for a resolution to formally acknowledge and express regret for banning Chinese immigration and other violated rights of the Chinese settlers, we examine the history of the Chinese Exclusion Act. The resolution was introduced by L.A.’s very own Rep. Judy Chu, the first Chinese American elected to the US Congress. It is also co-sponsored by Rep. Judy Biggert of Illinois and Rep. Mike Coffman of Colorado. The resolution is calling on Congress to express regret for the passage of several laws between 1882 and 1904 that violated the fundamental civil rights of Chinese-Americans. In today’s episode of the China History Podcast we look at the history behind this resolution and why it is important to understand the past in order to be better informed about the issues of today.

Also possibly of interest:
http://chinahistorypodcast.com/chp-123-the-history-of-the-chinese-in-mexico

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

caberham posted:

Regardless of the motivations for immigration and settlement, calling it "Free land!" without regards to how the land was obtained is disingenuous. Everyone knew it wasn't really *free*. Natives are only savages and don't deserve this land.

Sorry, I'm not trying to antagonize anyone here :ohdear: Nowadays, the Mid West makes good craft beer

the JJ posted:

At the same time, we aren't a direct democracy, and I'd much rather, given the populace's recent predilections (two terms of Bush?) have the Bill of Rights than an unlimited democracy.

Anyway, America as the land of the free is a thing that starts... in different places to different degrees. To many, e.g. the Puritans it represented a way to escape religious persecution. And Rhode Island was a way for people upset with the Puritans to have space to flee religious persecution. And Maryland was a Catholic haven for reason. Basically, being able to 'vote with your feet' and up and move to a new place can be a freedom of sorts, and since we killed most of the natives/didn't feel so bad about taking their land, well... there's your land of the free. You also have cases where lot of Frenchmen went home after the American Revolution and helped kick that off, though things quickly progressed from there. You have to remember, as seemingly restrictive as the voting requirements were in the Early Republic, it was a drat sight better than anyone else was doing, and improved rapidly as Jackson (yes, good old Trail of Tears Jackson) came along. In the 1840's we were mostly stable while Europe was going through paroxysms of revolution/counter-revolution and the radicals wound up heading for America. Then the West opened up, again, free land and/or various gold rushes pulled people over. By 1900 though the real 'American exceptionalism' train starts running, as well as the melting pot idea. Read John Dewey and those sorts for that. Of course, he was optimistic and the idealist, but he was 'right' (in so far as, yeah, we'd like to think of ourselves as inclusive) so gets front billing. Then in WWI we set up across the despots of the Hun and the Sultan, which was nice, then we could roll against Hitler and/or Stalin, so 'free-ish' could be good enough, at least once we addressed (again, enough) the whole racial inequality thing that the USSR loved to point out.
Like right loving there, first response to the topic man. It's DnD, we get it. As for actual productivity...

quote:

I would be curious about these figures as well. Can you just drop your "free land starter kit" and just look for work in the cities?

It was different at different times for different immigrants. There's like, huge bodies of work on this. This will give you a good enough primer to free agricultural land: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestead_Acts

Jane Addams' Hull House is a pretty good autobiography talking about setting up a sort of urban integration center for new immigrants. That's a fair starting point for urban life. Short answer: practically no one had a loving plan, and those who did immediately had to rethink.

quote:

Granted, "free land" is a big allure and lots of people settling in were farmers. But man, cultivating that was hard hard work. Ok, time to play the Oregon trail again. Can someone elaborate on that trail? Can someone please tell me more about settlement of the western territories?

Short answer: setting up camp in the prairie land was, until modern irrigation, a real poo poo prospect. Oregon was, well, super rainy and poo poo. The Oregon Trail games pretty well chart a series of waves of immigration, often premised on various mineral finds, the infamous 'Gold Rushes' or silver, usually. You could go out, pick some land, maybe you get lucky. Most of the people who actually made it rich were the ones supplying picks, food, booze, and sex to the wanna be miners, until someone's claim panned out, that dude got super rich and hired everyone else to work his claim. See: Horace Tabor (and the Legend of Baby Doe)

quote:

See the Homestead Acts but, at least de jure, you couldn't just pitch tent and call the land yours. Not that, e.g. Aaron Burr or the Mormons didn't try.

quote:

This reminds me of the TV show Deadwood. People want land to be incorporated as a state because of having official title to land, making State laws, Federal funding, and protection right?

Yeah, statehood was something that some people wanted for a lot of reasons.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Aaron Burr is great because he shot Hamilton, a beloved figure by that time, after Hamilton shot in the air making it double dishonorable, fled to the west because everyone hated him in the mid Atlantic States and ended up arrested for high treason after attempting to arm and organize a secessionist plot. What a colossal rear end.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Well now that's misleading. You left out the part where Marshall refused to convict him because there was a lack of evidence that he was building an army to fight the United States. They had evidence that he was building an army, but Burr somehow managed to convince everyone that the reason he was building the army was not to secede from the United States, but to attack Spain, take all their land, and give it to the United States as a present. Most of Aaron Burr's written instructions were written in incomprehensible Shakespearean metaphors so there was no way to disprove his explanation of events. Also the guy actually running the army was kind of skeevy and nobody liked him.

Read Henry Adam's history of the Jefferson and Madison administrations. There's all sorts of great crazy stuff in there.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Aaron Burr is great because he shot Hamilton, a beloved figure by that time, after Hamilton shot in the air making it double dishonorable, fled to the west because everyone hated him in the mid Atlantic States and ended up arrested for high treason after attempting to arm and organize a secessionist plot. What a colossal rear end.

If you like Aaron Burr read up some on Charles Lee who was a colossal rear end in addition to being a big coward. Also after the Revolution he had to retreat to the country because he pissed off so many people they lined up at the door to duel him. A surgeon who operated on him tried to assassinate him afterwards.

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 10, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bro Dad posted:

If you like Aaron Burr read up some on Charles Lee who was a colossal rear end in addition to being a big coward. Also after the Revolution he had to retreat to the country because he pissed off so many people they lined up at the door to duel him. A surgeon who operated on him tried to assassinate him afterwards.

Stories like that always amuse me. You know it's time to rethink your life's decisions when even doctors hate you so much that they want you to die.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Miltank posted:

Much of my family immigrated to the US to farm in the very late 1800s to the very early 1900s so I would assume there was still free or inexpensive land at that time.
My Great-Grandma and that whole side of the family came to the US because they were Armenian and they were from the Ottoman Empire and regardless of how you want to exactly describe the situation it was basically most unpleasant there. I don't think they really gave a drat either way about free land, they just wanted to get out of there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

Well now that's misleading. You left out the part where Marshall refused to convict him because there was a lack of evidence that he was building an army to fight the United States. They had evidence that he was building an army, but Burr somehow managed to convince everyone that the reason he was building the army was not to secede from the United States, but to attack Spain, take all their land, and give it to the United States as a present. Most of Aaron Burr's written instructions were written in incomprehensible Shakespearean metaphors so there was no way to disprove his explanation of events. Also the guy actually running the army was kind of skeevy and nobody liked him.

Read Henry Adam's history of the Jefferson and Madison administrations. There's all sorts of great crazy stuff in there.

That's all I remembered! I didn't recall whether he was convicted or not. That's pretty good. Still a colossal dick! Who shoots Hamilton and then writes secessionist claptrap in Shakesperean metaphors?

Also I'm pretty sure Charles Lee was killed by a half-Mohawk assassin. :colbert:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hahaha holy poo poo that wiki article.

quote:

Although his army was supposed to join that of Washington's in Pennsylvania, Lee set a very slow pace. On the night of December 12, Lee and a dozen of his guard inexplicably stopped for the night at White's Tavern in Basking Ridge, New Jersey, some three miles from his main army. The next morning, a British patrol of two dozen mounted soldiers found Lee writing letters in his dressing gown, and captured him.
:wtc:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Some Guy TT posted:

It's really fascinating to me just how often this idea comes up. I guess it's part of the whole Manifest Destiny thing, but the number of people who thought conquering bits of Latin America was a great idea does kind of surprise me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

It's really fascinating to me just how often this idea comes up. I guess it's part of the whole Manifest Destiny thing, but the number of people who thought conquering bits of Latin America was a great idea does kind of surprise me.

I believe one of the major reasons the United States didn't fully annex Mexico during the Mexican-American war instead of just taking the land they did take was because the land they took was basically uninhabited and the rest of land was full of people the US didn't want to make part of its country.

I always feel like most historical Manifest Destiny types are real quitters when they settled for East->West and didn't want to push it from North to South.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Barudak posted:

I believe one of the major reasons the United States didn't fully annex Mexico during the Mexican-American war instead of just taking the land they did take was because the land they took was basically uninhabited and the rest of land was full of people the US didn't want to make part of its country.

I always feel like most historical Manifest Destiny types are real quitters when they settled for East->West and didn't want to push it from North to South.

Well, the real reason was that the Southern states wanted to annex Mexico/The Caribbean and make them into slave states.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Barudak posted:

The US was willing to buy more of northern Mexico in the Gadsden Purchase had antislavery protesters not blocked anything further than the present southern border of Arizona and New Mexico.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't know if I would call Hamilton a ”beloved” figure. I can think of a few people (other than Burr) that did not like Hamilton very much.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Barudak posted:

We tried to get those drat Canadians but they got away from us. One of these days though...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ethiser posted:

We tried to get those drat Canadians but they got away from us. One of these days though...

A great many of us were on board until you started pillaging all our poo poo. Now we can celebrate 1812 as the war where 2500 Americans inside Detroit surrendered because they were deathly afraid of Indians, and weBritish regulars burned down much of Washington D.C. That's what you get for trying to be buds with Napoleon, the Hitler of the 19th Century.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm ever mystified by how the US constitution is still so unchanged (apart from the 27 amendments, of course), but then I also recognize that the only reason other countries have more, shall I say, "modern" constitutions is because they're either much younger than the US or they went through different forms of government and so had to write them at a time when they were much more aware of contemporary issues.

Are there countries that "updated" their constitutions with things like term limits or clarified antiquated/vague wordings entirely of their own accord?

I'm sorry if the question is vague or rambling. I guess this is more of a general thing where I don't want to keep laughing at how much trouble the US gets in over debates regarding things that the constitution does or does not cover without recognizing first that maybe no one has really done better either.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm ever mystified by how the US constitution is still so unchanged (apart from the 27 amendments, of course), but then I also recognize that the only reason other countries have more, shall I say, "modern" constitutions is because they're either much younger than the US or they went through different forms of government and so had to write them at a time when they were much more aware of contemporary issues.

Are there countries that "updated" their constitutions with things like term limits or clarified antiquated/vague wordings entirely of their own accord?

I'm sorry if the question is vague or rambling. I guess this is more of a general thing where I don't want to keep laughing at how much trouble the US gets in over debates regarding things that the constitution does or does not cover without recognizing first that maybe no one has really done better either.

I'm not absolutely sure what you're asking, but for reference Finland's constitution was first laid in 1919, less than two years after declaration of independence, and was originally designed to be sort of semi-monarchist where the president held considerable power, as after the civil war there were fears that socialists might eventually return to government and OHMIGODWEGETSOVIETIZED. And they did form a minority government in 1926, but like all other minority governments at the time it lasted for a year before being voted down.

The constitution has since been updated many times over, the latest in 2000 which replaced all of the previous constitutional decrees. Most importantly, after over a quarter century of Urho Kekkonen's presidency it was decided that presidency should be limited to just two subsequent terms, and the president's functions also were limited to a mostly ceremonial and diplomatic role. Ironically, this change came at the same time as the presidential election changed from electoral college to direct voting, so right now the only power that be that is chosen by a majority of voters holds no real power, whereas in parliamentary elections voters have no way of knowing what kind of strange coalition government will form, as the president no longer has any sway over government formation and can't support minority or caretaker cabinets. Our current president has invested his political energy in telling peeps that kids should go to sleep early, instead.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The US was willing to buy more of northern Mexico in the Gadsden Purchase had antislavery protesters not blocked anything further than the present southern border of Arizona and New Mexico.

Yep, a big reason why the United States didn't go for more of Mexico was simply that most of the cuntry wasn't behind it in the first place. Manifest Destiny had it's place, but Northern-Southern tensions over expanding slavery was a much bigger issue than the background of Mexicans at the time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sullat posted:

I don't know if I would call Hamilton a ”beloved” figure. I can think of a few people (other than Burr) that did not like Hamilton very much.

By that point the founding fathers were starting to die off and Hamilton's unpopular (but correct) policy ideas were starting to fade in the general glow of being one of the guys who were in on the ground floor.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

Finland's constitution

Thanks, that was kind of the answer I was looking for!

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The US was also stymied from grabbing Baja California and possibly other territories by the actions of its diplomat, Nicholas Trist:

Wikipedia posted:

During the Mexican-American War, President James K. Polk sent Trist to negotiate with the Government of Mexico. He was ordered to arrange an armistice with Mexico for up to $30 million U.S. dollars, depending on whether he could obtain Baja California and additional southern territory along with the already planned acquisitions of Alta California, the Nueces Strip, and New Mexico. If he could not obtain Baja California and additional territory to the south, then he was instructed to offer $20 million.[6] President Polk was unhappy with his envoy's conduct and prompted him to order Trist to return to the United States. General Winfield Scott was also unhappy with Trist's presence in Mexico, although he and Scott quickly reconciled and began a lifelong friendship.

However, the wily diplomat ignored the instructions. Known to have an over-fluid pen, he wrote a 65 page letter back to Washington, D.C. explaining his reasons for staying in Mexico.[7] He capitalized on a brilliant opportunity to continue bargaining with Santa Anna. Trist successfully negotiated the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo on February 2, 1848. Trist's negotiation was controversial among expansionist Democrats since he had ignored Polk's instructions and settled on a smaller cession of Mexican territory than many expansionists wanted and felt he could have obtained. (A part of this instruction was to specifically include Baja California. Instead, Trist, for undisclosed compensation, on his own volition, drew the line directly West from Yuma to Tijuana/San Diego instead of from Yuma south to the Sea of Cortez, which left all of Baja California, though almost separate from, a part of Mexico. Polk was furious. Travel time for renegotiation was a month each way. Polk had no treaty during his Presidency at the time. He reluctantly approved.) Trist later commented on the treaty:

"My feeling of shame as an American was far stronger than the Mexicans' could be".

Upon return to Washington, however, Trist was immediately fired for his insubordination, and his expenses during his time in Texas were not paid. Trist did not recover his expenses until 1871.

There was a fairly significant "all Mexico" movement within the Democratic Party at the time, seeking to annex the entire country.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 12, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The French have also done this. They reconstituted the state after World War 2, but the resulting parliamentary system meant that governments were wildly unstable. So they dissolved the Fourth Republic and wrote a constitution that started the Fifth Republic.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Swan Oat posted:

The French have also done this. They reconstituted the state after World War 2, but the resulting parliamentary system meant that governments were wildly unstable. So they dissolved the Fourth Republic and wrote a constitution that started the Fifth Republic.

By ”they”, I assume you mean De Gaulle and the army, and by ”dissolved” you mean overthrew. Since that's kind of what happened, thanks the issues raise by decolonization and the post-war rebuilding.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but Britain's consitution has changed considerably over the time the USA has been in existence. Of course it's a very different sort of constitution, being unwritten, but we've seen an expansion of the voting principle, the introduction of parliamentary parties and a shift from monarchy backed by Parliament to full Parliamentary rule with a largely powerless monarch along with many other more minor changes such as the ability for the lower House to push legislation past the upper House. We've also fairly recently moved from an upper House that was majority inherited power to one that is appointed. That's not to bring up the change in status and governance of different parts of the Union.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

MrNemo posted:

Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but Britain's consitution has changed considerably over the time the USA has been in existence. Of course it's a very different sort of constitution, being unwritten, but we've seen an expansion of the voting principle, the introduction of parliamentary parties and a shift from monarchy backed by Parliament to full Parliamentary rule with a largely powerless monarch along with many other more minor changes such as the ability for the lower House to push legislation past the upper House. We've also fairly recently moved from an upper House that was majority inherited power to one that is appointed. That's not to bring up the change in status and governance of different parts of the Union.

Do you have Tea Party levels of ancestor worship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

VideoTapir posted:

Do you have Tea Party levels of ancestor worship?

They are all in sleazy bars in Thailand :britain: This is just anecdotal, but it's easy to find RAWWWWR RAWWWR WE GIVEN THE EMPIRE AWAY neo colonists in British expat bars. You will see the Union Jack hanging there and if you are non white then you can easily get some bad vibes being there.

• Locked thread