Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Neigé loves her namesake:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

ApexAftermath posted:

I thought I would give an update on what we found out at the vet. She was diagnosed with addison's disease. They kept her on an IV overnight since her electrolytes were low, but we have her back now. She will be on meds for the rest of her time now, but it appears this is pretty manageable so I'm just glad it wasn't anything worse. She is still pretty tired but should be back to her old self in no time from what the vet is saying.

Good! And very good that you brought her in when you did. Addison's can be very easily controlled - so much so that with the opposite end, Cushing's Disease, some vets will use medications to turn those Cushing's patients into Addison's patients because they're that much easier to control.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Cat Hatter posted:

Well the good news is that your dog probably doesn't have a ruptured disk since that's usually more of a "screaming in pain when you stand" sort of thing.

Actually in dogs while it is painful, ruptured discs CAN cause neurological deficits without the animal screaming in pain when they stand. Their weight distribution and biomechanics are different, when you think about it. Most dogs with IVDD and ruptured discs stand kind of hunched over rather than overtly screaming in pain.

I only mention this because I had an MD surgeon client who was insistent that her little paralyzed dog must have a vertebral fracture because he was so bad and people don't become paralyzed from discs generally. Her dog had a disc rupture and we fixed it and the dog was back to walking in a week or two.

edit: ApexAftermath I'm glad your dog has something that's manageable!

Cat Hatter posted:

The three most common symptoms are excessive drinking, excessive peeing, and excessive eating. The hunger thing usually isn't noticeable in dogs because most dogs eat like goldfish. Oh, and undiagnosed diabetes also frequently causes neurological issues especially in the feet. The good news is that diabetes is pretty manageable if that's what it turns out to be.

You did forget one crucial thing here - WEIGHT LOSS in the face of a normal to increased appetite in a dog is one thing that along with drinking/peeing more might cause suspicion for diabetes. So sure, the owners might not realize it's a sign that their dog is eating a whole lot because it's always eaten a lot, but they will probably notice if the dog is losing weight without a perceived change in appetite!

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 10, 2014

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
All of that is true which is why I threw in the "usually" disclaimer. I was going for the zebras vs. horses thing, especially since most lay-people think every back problem is a slipped disk just like how every headache is a migraine. In the end though, nobody got it right because its the internet and his dog could have two butts for all we know.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

ButWhatIf posted:

Neigé loves her namesake:

Neigé is beautiful :3: Out of curiosity, how much does she weigh? Tegan is pretty tiny for a Pem, but going from pictures Neigé doesn't look that much bigger. At least not as big as other Cardis I've seen, but maybe it's a camera trick.

Edit: I bought a coconut recently, so I had to do this.

Millions fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 10, 2014

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I always thought that Panda was pretty small for a Pembroke. She's only about 25lbs and is shorter in both length and height than other Corgis we've seen. She is getting a little chubby though.

Here's a comparison to her best friend Daisy who likes to just watch Panda run after the frisbee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNGAZksh6YI

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Millions posted:

Neigé is beautiful :3: Out of curiosity, how much does she weigh? Tegan is pretty tiny for a Pem, but going from pictures Neigé doesn't look that much bigger. At least not as big as other Cardis I've seen, but maybe it's a camera trick

She's usually around 23 lbs, which is definitely under standard for Cardis. She eats enough for a 30 lb dog but burns it all off. She's a very streamlined dog.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

ButWhatIf posted:

She's usually around 23 lbs, which is definitely under standard for Cardis. She eats enough for a 30 lb dog but burns it all off. She's a very streamlined dog.

Neigé has the best colors.

Tycho's 37lbs, which seems heavy for a corgi (even if he's a mutt). I guess he's just big. The vet said he's not fat, at least, and I think at least 1/3 of that weight is in his head.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Panda is so drat cute.

catamar
May 23, 2008
Oh, Tycho is bigger than I thought! I expected him to be around 30.

Gansett is 30.6. I haven't weighed Holly since September or October but she's obviously in much better shape than she was. I tried to get a stacked picture but she is a camera sniffer.

I'd guess maybe ... 35? Down from 52.

EDIT for reference:

catamar fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 11, 2014

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Yikes, Tegan is punier than I thought. She's a solid 18 pounds, which my vet said was perfect for her size. I guess she's a runt... v:shobon:v

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

My Corgi pup graduated from puppy kindergarten last night, I'm going to miss all the other puppies there :(

He was consistently the fastest puppy in our little class, running laps around the room at high speed :rice:

We're starting obedience classes soon, so at least he'll have another regular gathering of dogs. He absolutely loves bigger dogs for whatever reason, I'm not too worried about a class that has mixed ages or sizes if thats how it turns out.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

What are some jobs you give your corgs to do around the house? Whenever I'm home and not actively playing with Tegan she just lounges around and woofs half-heartedly at the neighbors, so I'd like to give her something to occupy her time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Millions posted:

What are some jobs you give your corgs to do around the house? Whenever I'm home and not actively playing with Tegan she just lounges around and woofs half-heartedly at the neighbors, so I'd like to give her something to occupy her time.

That's most of what Butters does under those same circumstances :v: If we're cooking and drop something we will usually call Butters over to clean it up if it's not going to harm him. I've thought about getting some sort of puzzle treat-holder for him but currently all we have for him in that line is a basic Kong. Which, I'll admit, is really useful when I want him to shut up for a few minutes- fill it with a knifeload of peanut butter, toss it somewhere, and he ignores everything around him until he gets that peanut butter out.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Our corgi's job is to stop the cat from sharpening his claws on the rug. He is very good at it but it also means he likes to get in the middle most times we pet the cat. He'd probably do that anyway though. We also send him back and forth around the house to say hi to other members of the family. Mostly his job is Couch Potato or Bed Bug though (his choice).

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

How do I get my corgi to quit her job as the household cat alert dog? She is absolutely obsessed with our two cats and whining/being annoying when they are around.

Our apartment is split in two levels with the living room/kitchen down and two beds up. Unfortunately, that cats' food is on the stair landing and their box is under the stairs. Panda is not allowed upstairs so she flips out often when the cats come down. It's like she's never seen them before. So if she catches them downstairs, she chases them back up while growling. I know she just wants to play but I think that ship has sailed for the cats.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
Been a while since i've posted anything about Miles, thought i'd correct that issue.

Before anyone asks: we don't use that crate anymore. It was only for car rides when he was still super small.

And finally, Miles showing us how he feels when we don't give him anything from the dinner table.

oh wow, pics turned out bigger than expected, sorry!

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
My mom's dog, Jasper, he got put down last week due to health problems.

catamar
May 23, 2008
He looks like a Good Dog.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Igby found a new spot to relax in... at least these clothes are already dirty.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Is wanting to eat snow a sign of any problems? Lucy likes to go sit in the snow and eat it. I've started bringing in a handful and putting it in a bowl so she can go to town inside where it's warm.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I bought a new camera for a trip I'm taking and did some test shots of Panda. I don't have any high quality photos of her unless my mom takes them with her nice camera.

This is my mom's dog Daisy. She's a massive Golden Retriever/Irish Cream with the biggest moon face I've ever seen in a dog. Panda is staying with them for about 3 weeks while we're away. They're going to have so much fun.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

thylacine posted:

Is wanting to eat snow a sign of any problems? Lucy likes to go sit in the snow and eat it. I've started bringing in a handful and putting it in a bowl so she can go to town inside where it's warm.

Miles does the same thing, particularly with ice or hard packed snow chunks. So far there's been no issues, but I assumed it was because we sometimes use ice cubes as treats. I suspect it may also be the crunchy texture she's enjoying (again, assuming it's hard packed snow)

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

You can see Orbit's nose was doing some digging/chewing in the snow:

He decided he needed to roll around in it on our walk and then take a nap in his snow burrow.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Eating snow a problem? I sure hope not, because...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There's something wrong with your Corgi if they're NOT running out eating snow. (Actually I have one that does and one that could care less.)

carpDiem
Jan 1, 2014
Hi all! I just wanted to share our corgi, Bran, and his new little brother, Eitan. Bran wasn't real keen on the new baby when he first arrived, but he's been warming up to him.

(we still watch Bran and the other corgi closely around Eitan, of course)

catamar
May 23, 2008
They are both TOOOO CUTE! :3:

Holly keeps trying to chase the local skunks. 100% less cute.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
Awwww. They are going to be best friends one day.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Today is my Tegan-niversary! One year ago today this munchkin came into my life, she's been such an awesome dog. The dog bakery gave her extra treats during our visit, and she'll get some peanut butter later.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Too cute. :) Happy Teganday.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I haven't updated about Otto lately. He's just shy of six months old now.

He likes to interrupt game playing.

He likes being tucked in.

He likes to lick.

He likes to sleep.

He likes to sleep a lot.

Always sleeping.

Seriously always sleeping.

He gets concerned when not getting attention.

He falls asleep watching TV.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Puppy!

:neckbeard: OhmygodIjustwannastealhimandtakehimhomeandmakehimmybestfriendforeverandever!

I think you have the most adorable lil' corgi. :3:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is it a corgi trait to do rounds around the house like a night watch man?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Mordiceius, he is the cutest little guy ever. Reminds me of mine when she was that age. How did you get him to lay with you like that? Sam usually gets fussy and squirmy when you try to get her to do that. She likes to sleep on her own, without being touched, or she will get snorty.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Steve Yun posted:

Is it a corgi trait to do rounds around the house like a night watch man?

Igby used to. They're very protective of the house they live in and will listen for any out of the ordinary noise. Igby still barks at the UPS truck after seven years.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Wulfling posted:

Mordiceius, he is the cutest little guy ever. Reminds me of mine when she was that age. How did you get him to lay with you like that? Sam usually gets fussy and squirmy when you try to get her to do that. She likes to sleep on her own, without being touched, or she will get snorty.

Honestly, he seemed like he was born that way. He has been the most cuddly, well behaved little dog. We got him at about 9 weeks and we have made sure to spend at least an hour or so snuggling with him daily. He rarely barks and we never really had to train him about that. He only barks when he gets SUPER overstimulated (even when 5 newcomers enter the house, he doesn't bark), but in the rare occasion he does bark, he immediately recognizes he did something wrong and looks upset about it.

We got him neutered last month and had zero problems with that. He didn't have to wear a cone and he never tried licking it or biting at the stitches. He likes being around other dogs but he absolutely LOVES people. Whenever he sees new people, he puts his ears back and runs up toward them just wanting attention. We started taking him to dog parks around 4 months and we recently went out of town for a few days and left him at this kennel that promotes socialization. So he's had a lot of time with tons of other dogs.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

Honestly, he seemed like he was born that way. He has been the most cuddly, well behaved little dog. We got him at about 9 weeks and we have made sure to spend at least an hour or so snuggling with him daily. He rarely barks and we never really had to train him about that. He only barks when he gets SUPER overstimulated (even when 5 newcomers enter the house, he doesn't bark), but in the rare occasion he does bark, he immediately recognizes he did something wrong and looks upset about it.

We got him neutered last month and had zero problems with that. He didn't have to wear a cone and he never tried licking it or biting at the stitches. He likes being around other dogs but he absolutely LOVES people. Whenever he sees new people, he puts his ears back and runs up toward them just wanting attention. We started taking him to dog parks around 4 months and we recently went out of town for a few days and left him at this kennel that promotes socialization. So he's had a lot of time with tons of other dogs.

Oh it would be soo nice if Sam was that well behaved. She gets really vocal when she sees things and she can't get at them. Either outside the window or while she is on her leash. Super excitable and I've been trying to break her of it for a more than a year but she seems to have a touch of ADD and just gets to where she completely ignores things around her when there is something she wants to investigate. Be it people, other dogs, or just leaves in the wind.

Sam didn't have much trouble when we got her fixed. She slept off the first couple days of it, after that she was okay. She would try to get at it to lick it, but quickly realized, much to my amusement, that she couldn't reach the stitches, and would just end up scooting herself in a tiny circle.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
My husband and I got this girl Covalence (Cova) a few weeks ago:

Cardigan of course, she's officially Shadowalk Over the Top at Montaire, out of Shadowalk Win, Lose or Draw and Shadowalk Deacon; lots of champions in her lines, very healthy lineage, which is what we wanted for a pet dog. Helps that the breeder lives 20 minutes away! Currently 4 months old, we're hoping at 18 months she'll have an interest in agility or nosework. She loves our half Maine coon mix kitten Ambivalence AKA Ambi (8 months) and he her. She's crazy energetic and the cat helps by wrestling with her basically constantly if she's out of her crate. (The crate in the last pic is the cat's crate.)

We've mostly had issues with her refusing to eat out of any bowl or plate or container at all; she wants it from a hand or spilled on the floor or on the giant dogpillow, MAYBE in her Kong chew. She might just be bored by the kibble, but too bad. She's still eating enough, just being a big jerk about how it's served. She grew up in the dog kennels, crated at night and fed 2 cups of food just once, at night, so we think she kept spilling it into her crate, and she isn't aware that she can't just let her food sit for hours at a time 'cause the cat will eat it. We keep taking up the food after ~30 minutes but it's taking a long time to drill it in her 3 meals a day.

Culex fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
She is absolutely adorable. Seeing her an the cat play reminds me of how mine and my mothers cat used to play with Sam was just a puppy.

• Locked thread