Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Looks like daylight savings time is loving with the timestamps a bit. Not every post is like this, but I've noticed a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I haven't seen any new issues with the new version of Awful. I don't think anybody is maintaining the old version if it needs bug fixes.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

New version is great.

Not really a major problem but I've noticed that when you open the 'filter by tag' menu it's a little slow, scrolling through the tags feel a little slow as well. (I use 5s with iOS 7.0.6)

Thanks for the great work so far!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only issue I see (and it's been there since the iOS 7 update) is that selecting images for upload to imgur makes typing super laggy.

I'm guessing it's because I usually select full resolution images from my photo roll, and a 2000 pixel image puts the choke on whatever view the post editor is using.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Diabolik900 posted:

Sneak peak into the future:

:allears: Beautiful.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
iPhone version - I'm using the button shapes accessibility feature in iOS 7.1 and when you're swiping to go back the color of the button spazzes out. This happens if you're more than one thread later in, so like when you're in a thread and you click on a link to another post and then you try to swipe back.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What has gone so very wrong in your life that you enabled that? ( waiting for serious medical answer that makes me feel like an rear end in a top hat. )

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
IPad 5 running 2.0.4 and can't access the app anymore. Going to scroll through the last few pages for a fix, but wanted to post first. iPad on forums is hard to navigate :(

App opens to a blank black page with blue bar across top, which makes sense because I had night theme enabled.

Fantastic app though, just awesome to browse the forums on.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

The Dave posted:

What has gone so very wrong in your life that you enabled that? ( waiting for serious medical answer that makes me feel like an rear end in a top hat. )

Because text only buttons are really dumb. It's like when CSS started becoming popular and the first thing everybody did was remove underlines from links, when there actually was a really good reason for them.

step aside fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 11, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

IPad 5 running 2.0.4 and can't access the app anymore. Going to scroll through the last few pages for a fix, but wanted to post first. iPad on forums is hard to navigate :(

App opens to a blank black page with blue bar across top, which makes sense because I had night theme enabled.

Fantastic app though, just awesome to browse the forums on.

Huh. Deleted and reinstalled for the 3rd time and it seems to work now.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Thank you for this app. This is a good app. The only thing I could want is for my YOSPOS stylesheet preference to persist between app launches.

n4lrah
Jan 2, 2014

Herping ur derp
The app closes immediately after i open it, am i missing something?

Device: ipad air, latest updates installed

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The app was actually designed to crash on start, that's why it's the best forums app.

( have you tried reinstalls? )

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Quite often the app will crash when I open it but racing to tap on a bookmark or something before it does seems to keep it open and working normally - as long as you do tap and load something.

Really love the return of the swipe to show the side menu on the ipad. I really hated the little moving button that slid the menu in and out. This is pure Awful bliss.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

If you try to post with forums cancer on this app it gives you an error and doesn't let you post.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

swamp izzo posted:

If you try to post with forums cancer on this app it gives you an error and doesn't let you post.

Is this a feature request?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

ultramiraculous posted:

Is this a feature request?

No it's a bug report. I had cancer this morning.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

swamp izzo posted:

No it's a bug report. I had cancer this morning.

Glad to hear you got over it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Working as intended.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Any chance of swiping to delete bookmarks coming back in the next release?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

IllegallySober posted:

Why would you want this? It genuinely baffles me

I'm clumsy and it always leads to me accidentally removing threads and not having a clue what they were

It's not like it's a hardship right now

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

101 posted:

Why would you want this? It genuinely baffles me

I'm clumsy and it always leads to me accidentally removing threads and not having a clue what they were

It's not like it's a hardship right now

I asked because I got used to having it like most other stock apps (mail, music, etc)?

Different people have different opinions. It was just a question.

Perhaps it could even be a settings toggle. Then everyone can have it the way they want?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Man who is so clumsy that he accidentally deletes bookmarked threads all the time is genuinely baffled by a standard part of the iOS interface, story at 11.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

IllegallySober posted:

I asked because I got used to having it like most other stock apps (mail, music, etc)?

Different people have different opinions. It was just a question.

Perhaps it could even be a settings toggle. Then everyone can have it the way they want?

It's already integrated into the rest of the thread options though, it doesn't really make sense to move it when it takes the same amount of time vOv

Just my $0.02

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Man who is so clumsy that he accidentally deletes bookmarked threads all the time is genuinely baffled by a standard part of the iOS interface, story at 11.

I may have deserved that

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

101 posted:

It's already integrated into the rest of the thread options though, it doesn't really make sense to move it when it takes the same amount of time vOv
Except if you use swipe to remove in every other iOS app and used in the old awful, the method to delete a thread is:

1. Swipe across the thread
2. I must have screwed up the swipe, swipe it again
3. Huh maybe I need to swipe it the other way
4. Oh yeah they never reimplemented that feature
5. Long press on thread, hit delete bookmark

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

step aside posted:

iPhone version - I'm using the button shapes accessibility feature in iOS 7.1 and when you're swiping to go back the color of the button spazzes out. This happens if you're more than one thread later in, so like when you're in a thread and you click on a link to another post and then you try to swipe back.

I haven't played with that feature at all yet so I'm not surprised something weird happens somewhere. I'll see what's what.

gregday posted:

Thank you for this app. This is a good app. The only thing I could want is for my YOSPOS stylesheet preference to persist between app launches.

It certainly should persist. There's a(nother?) bug where themes don't seem to apply on the first thread you open, but applies on subsequent threads in the same forum. Any chance you're seeing that bug?

swamp izzo posted:

What happens on the Forums in a browser? I haven't had cancer so I've never tested it. If you (or any other sufferer) can paste me some HTML that'd be extra helpful.

IllegallySober posted:

Yep.

IllegallySober posted:

Perhaps it could even be a settings toggle.

Nope.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I still have YOSPOS stylesheets resetting to green all the time, too. Thought it was just a bug that hasn't been fixed yet. I'm on an ancient iPad 2, definitely mentioned it before in this thread. It may happen on my phone too, but honestly I can't remember off the top of my head since I do a lot less YOSPOS browsing on my phone.

I use the dark theme everywhere, and I never had an instance of it "resetting" to the normal light theme. It's only YOSPOS resetting to green. Not a huge deal but yeah it would be nice to not have to switch it back every so often.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

PFlats posted:

Except if you use swipe to remove in every other iOS app
Except all the other ones that don't use it, like the built in alarms and contacts.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

Except all the other ones that don't use it, like the built in alarms and contacts.

For what it's worth, I'm happy to put it back in for bookmarks, I just so rarely delete bookmarks that it doesn't occur to me. Not taking a principled stand or anything. It's on my list.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I still have YOSPOS stylesheets resetting to green all the time, too. Thought it was just a bug that hasn't been fixed yet. I'm on an ancient iPad 2, definitely mentioned it before in this thread. It may happen on my phone too, but honestly I can't remember off the top of my head since I do a lot less YOSPOS browsing on my phone.

I use the dark theme everywhere, and I never had an instance of it "resetting" to the normal light theme. It's only YOSPOS resetting to green. Not a huge deal but yeah it would be nice to not have to switch it back every so often.

I will take the hit and switch to non-greenpos for awhile, see if I can reproduce this. How often does it seem to "stick" until it needs resetting?

As to the dark theme working properly, that doesn't surprise me given the implementation of themes.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Grump posted:

Looks like daylight savings time is loving with the timestamps a bit. Not every post is like this, but I've noticed a bunch.

I forgot to respond but: unfortunately nobody is maintaining Awful 1, which is what this screenshot is from. If you can move to iOS 7, you can update to Awful 2, otherwise I'm afraid you're stuck for now.

I'm sure if anyone picks Awful 1 back up off the floor, it'll get a mention in this thread, so you can keep your hopes alive I guess.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Also on old-awful and while I haven't seen that, the app isn't registering the time change at all.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Still loving the latest update, although I think an old bug is rearing its head again.

On iPad, every so often I click into a thread just for it to not respond to 1-finger scrolling (normal app operation). The quick fix is to use two fingers to get the thread to scroll. Once I tap to another thread, it goes back to normal.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Bug found:
When you break the internet connection while loading a thread and land on Page ? of number, go back to the forum while the internet reconnects, and let it refresh, the unread posts counter is the reply counter

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Not sure why I didn't think of this before, but uninstalling and reinstalling the app seems to have helped the "two minute load times and a crash if the phone locks" issue. I'll have to try it on 3G still, but this is much better.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The app seems to have logged me out. I can browse the forums on my phone, but can't figure out how to log in, even under the phone settings (all it has under the Awful app is Acknowledgements).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just had the quoted portion of a reply duplicated. I didn't notice it until I posted, but I was able to edit it out after.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

pokeyman posted:

I forgot to respond but: unfortunately nobody is maintaining Awful 1, which is what this screenshot is from. If you can move to iOS 7, you can update to Awful 2, otherwise I'm afraid you're stuck for now.

I'm sure if anyone picks Awful 1 back up off the floor, it'll get a mention in this thread, so you can keep your hopes alive I guess.

That's not limited to Awful 1. I saw the exact same thing happen to timestamps the other day, and I'm on the newest version of both Awful and iOS.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

jivjov posted:

Not sure why I didn't think of this before, but uninstalling and reinstalling the app seems to have helped the "two minute load times and a crash if the phone locks" issue. I'll have to try it on 3G still, but this is much better.

This has made a huge difference for me so far. Thanks for the heads up.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

JazzFlight posted:

Still loving the latest update, although I think an old bug is rearing its head again.

On iPad, every so often I click into a thread just for it to not respond to 1-finger scrolling (normal app operation). The quick fix is to use two fingers to get the thread to scroll. Once I tap to another thread, it goes back to normal.

gently caress are you kidding me. That bug drives me up the loving wall every time it happens and you're telling me I can still kinda scroll when it does? poo poo.

Also I just found out it can happen when looking at lists of topics in a subforum. That was pretty fun to discover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Color Printer posted:

gently caress are you kidding me. That bug drives me up the loving wall every time it happens and you're telling me I can still kinda scroll when it does? poo poo.

Also I just found out it can happen when looking at lists of topics in a subforum. That was pretty fun to discover.

poo poo, I found that trying to scroll through the threads list last night.

• Locked thread