Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Crowley posted:

We do however get PTO for it. Right now my coworker has 500 hours stashed, I'm sitting at 100 hours, and HR is going bonkers because accumulated PTO is counted as a debt in finance (and rightfully so). Coworker made a deal to only work four-day weeks until his hours are gone, but I'm just going to sit on mine. We have a mutual 3-month-notice clause in our contracts, and I like to be able to quit on shorter notice if I want to.

(Not actually quit before time, but give my notice, and take the last two months off while starting at a new job. Sweet double salary if I wanted to quit.)

Edit: Diddling the calculator shows that he'll be taking three day weekends for at least two years when you account for vacations, planned projects, and business trips, and that's if he can manage to avoid further OT.
Don't know how it works in other countries, but here if you have PTO remaining when you quit your employer is legally required to pay you for that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
All hail Sirotan, the 13th prophet*!

*And seal

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Collateral Damage posted:

Don't know how it works in other countries, but here if you have PTO remaining when you quit your employer is legally required to pay you for that time.

Indeed, and the employer is forced to have cash on hand to be able to pay everyone their PTO, which is why a lot of places have rather stringent limits on how much you can accumulate(2 weeks, so 80 hours, is pretty common as a max).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

rolleyes posted:

All hail Sirotan, the 13th prophet*!

*And seal

If it means I can spare at least one of you from my fate, I will continue* to carry this burden of supporting a KACE device and dealing with its incompetent technicians. Please, learn from my story.

*For possibly not much longer, we've refused to pay our support contract until they can get their poo poo together with our boxes/support issues, and are now 2 months past the deadline.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Lightning Jim posted:

That looks fun; glad I'm not working in KACE.

Content:
In with the pattern for calling IT for everything, I have had received calls with questions that are clearly sales related, such as a status of an order. I even had one guy actually call sales, but then go routed to tech support by that sales rep for us to help him. :psyduck:

One of my engineers apparently has some sales engineers that have leeched onto him. They invited him to a sales confcall and he rejected the request. They had the gall to yell at our boss about it. "He's always helped before, why not now?"

When you give a mouse a cookie... (*And yes, boss told this sales guy to go away.)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lightning Jim posted:

That looks fun; glad I'm not working in KACE.

Content:
In with the pattern for calling IT for everything, I have had received calls with questions that are clearly sales related, such as a status of an order. I even had one guy actually call sales, but then go routed to tech support by that sales rep for us to help him. :psyduck:

This happens to me so often its actually quite annoying and i've just started shoving them back, after telling the client to tell sales exactly what they need and where sales need to look to get their info, as I don't have access.

Other thing that's happening, we've got two new starters. One of them has been told i'm the person to call if they want to get something done on the spot. Thanks guys, I totally need an extra newbie clinging onto me for dear life while I work.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Awww, I missed PTO Pileup time. I guess it'll accrue... :v:

Seriously, we can legit accrue 150% of max PTO here. BUT! When they switched from a simple vacation/sick split to PTO/ESL (because back in 2006-7 they polled the employees, who thought it sounded good :wtc: - they just did the changeover about 18 months ago), your "excess" sick time got converted to PTO. And if you were near-max anyway, well...

Oh, and since they decided to finally get electronic medical records implemented, a whole shitload of vacation blackouts happened, and bla bla bla HEY LET'S KEEP ACCRUAL GOING EVEN IF YOU'RE AT MAX AND NOT BLACKED OUT :derp:. (Sick time ESL could max out, still.)

So, after several "use your time or lose it!" deadlines, none of which were real, I sit here with a 150% max of 336.18 hours, actual PTO of 447.34 - and still accruing 8 hours every payday. :rolleyes: And this is on top of taking something like 4.5 *weeks* off over four months, late last year, to try and get to within 20 or so of that 150% by the year-end drop-dead date. (Not quite dead yet, of course.)(poo poo kept accruing, too, which I'd *thought* was finally turned off before I started taking time.)

But my supervisor had ~IDEAS~.

:downs: Hey, you have a lot of PTO built up, you need to use it!

:black101: Yeah, but there's no one trained to cover me, remember?

:downs: Oh, we'll get everyone trained.* Why don't you take off one day every week?

:black101: So, my hundreds of hours would go down by eight every payday? Accrual is still happening. Also, anyone covering me won't be covering *their* job.

:downs: Or you could come in an hour later and leave an hour earlier every day!

:black101: OK, twelve hours per pay-period. By the way, that first hour is when all the time-dependent stuff needs to be done, and the last hour is when I catch up on the desperate last-minute stuff. So, coverage still.

:downs: Just take a week off every month, we'll be fine!

:black101: <migraine salute>

* - "training" was each person who would cover for me getting two days max following me around; they all lost at least a couple hours, because they had to cover lunches for other folks. Oh, and one had a split of five days total between the two, due to weekend and other coverage. One was there for maybe five hours the first day, and about three the next, due to doctor's appointments on top of her coverage.

Week One happened, and upon return, I was still trying to unfuck my office four hours into the day. We will not speak of just piling up work for me to do when I returned, nor of the poo poo I left to be done (labelled as such) popping up in the loving RECYCLE BIN. (Four days of ignoring it capped with "I couldn't read the note, so I thought it was recycle" on Friday. :fuckoff:)

New deadline is end-of-fiscal year, 27 June (payday). I am taking off a full week in May, so I'll not be accr.. no, I'll gain three more loving days *after* that week is taken into account. :downsrim:

Dear payroll: let me *cash out* some of this. Give me my overage in a check that I can use to pay bills and buy poo poo. Hell, give me six weeks of it, I'll be under 150% finally. WHO WILL RID ME OF THIS TURBULENT ACCRUAL?

Oh well. I suppose I can always drop my notice on 13 June and listen to all the cardiac events, right?

tl;dr PTO Hoarders Edition

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I swear to god, I read this 3 full times and all I got from it was "Zamboni Apocalypse has a lot of PTO"?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We don't get PTO at my job. We get vacation and that's it. 2 weeks before 5 years, 3 weeks from 5-15 years, 4 weeks from 15-25 years then 5 weeks.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

nexxai posted:

I swear to god, I read this 3 full times and all I got from it was "Zamboni Apocalypse has a lot of PTO"?

Don't worry I though the same thing. I get the same thoughts when I read Dilbert As gently caress's posts. How someone can say so much but not say anything that makes sense I do not know.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
So you're accruing paid time off faster than you can use it, and...?

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
We get two weeks here for the first five years, and eight personal days. I think it maxes out at five weeks after fifteen years. Personal days stay the same.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I have a good amount of PTO that I will never, ever get to use because I do not one but two jobs that no one else here can do with no replacement coming for a while. :[

I don't want to stick around long enough to use it, I wish they would just pay me for it :[

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

I have a good amount of PTO that I will never, ever get to use because I do not one but two jobs that no one else here can do with no replacement coming for a while. :[

I don't want to stick around long enough to use it, I wish they would just pay me for it :[

This is management's problem, not yours. Book your time off and take it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

AlternateAccount posted:

Do you not use it because you don't feel like you can or do you not use it because you submit requests for PTO that are summarily rejected every time?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't understand this line of thinking. It's not your fault that no one else can do your job. It's your PTO time, you've earned it, use it! Whatever company you work for will not burn down if you take a few weeks off.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

antisodachrist posted:

We get two weeks here for the first five years, and eight personal days. I think it maxes out at five weeks after fifteen years. Personal days stay the same.
Here every employer is legally required to give you 5 weeks of paid vacation regardless of how long you've been with the company, though many places offer you an extra week or two if you forfeit paid overtime. Good if you work a regular 9-5 job, not so much if you work in IT.

:sweden:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I started with a week of vacation time and one day extra per month I work. I have 3 weeks accrued right now.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
A stack of tickets didn't come in...

I just got a call from a recruiter with a job opportunity "working in a dynamic environment on mission critical systems with a team of motivated individuals".

It turns out I'd be supporting application servers in a hospital.

Even if I hadn't just gotten a new job offer last week, I could not hang up hard enough or run away fast enough.

I've seen enough bullshit tickets in this thread about working for prima donna doctors and/or working in healthcare.

So yeah, thanks thread!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
My company won't let us accrue PTO. We get 2 weeks to start, 3 weeks after 5 years (used to be 2 years before transition), 5 personal/sick days, and our regular banked days that we're not allowed to cash out (except for 1 day which we can by law since we need coverage on that day).

This is what I get for working for an American company in Canada, really lovely options :canada:

At least we have good medical

Migishu fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 11, 2014

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

So many posters in this thread who would fail the bus test.
If you seriously can't take your time off you are owed then something is seriously wrong. If your company can't handle a brief scheduled period with you away, what happens if something comes out of the blue?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm so drat happy my work doesn't bother with tracking that. Our official PTO policy is "take the time you need" and we're expected to work out coverage like grown adults.

I've never, not once, had to argue about taking time off.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'm currently sitting around the house, scratching my testicles for a week as if I don't take it by the month-end, I lose it.

Incidentally, one of my best investmnets of the year was to buy a personal phone, so I can leave the work phone on a shelf. Even the benefits of completely-free calls are outweighed by my inability to stop myself from reading work-related emails whenever they come in.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm so drat happy my work doesn't bother with tracking that. Our official PTO policy is "take the time you need" and we're expected to work out coverage like grown adults.

I've never, not once, had to argue about taking time off.

I would hate that system. Seems too stacked in the employers favor.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sickening posted:

Only if the management philosophy is to try to stop you from taking the time. We're encouraged.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Sickening posted:

I'm kind of with you. It seems like the diet of thing which might work well for a small company but I don't see how it scales, and it'd be very easy for it to all start getting political and cliquey in larger companies.

Edit:
Basically the fundamental flaw is the "treating people like grown adults" bit. That breaks easily in large companies.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
:( My files are printing slowly!

:) Oh yeah?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Agrikk posted:

A stack of tickets didn't come in...

I just got a call from a recruiter with a job opportunity "working in a dynamic environment on mission critical systems with a team of motivated individuals".

It turns out I'd be supporting application servers in a hospital.

Even if I hadn't just gotten a new job offer last week, I could not hang up hard enough or run away fast enough.

I've seen enough bullshit tickets in this thread about working for prima donna doctors and/or working in healthcare.

So yeah, thanks thread!

Wise choice. I am one of those in Healthcare IT and the applications people get poo poo on like crazy.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Swink posted:

:( My files are printing slowly!

:) Oh yeah?

PostScript driver?

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

Sirotan posted:

If it means I can spare at least one of you from my fate, I will continue* to carry this burden of supporting a KACE device and dealing with its incompetent technicians.

I work a few rows down from the :australia: KACE team and we are constantly getting team-wide emails about how amazing they are.

I think most of the customers appreciate that they're doing the best they can with the tools they have. If I ever have to start taking KACE overflow it will probably be time to :yotj:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

skooky posted:

I work a few rows down from the :australia: KACE team and we are constantly getting team-wide emails about how amazing they are.

I think most of the customers appreciate that they're doing the best they can with the tools they have. If I ever have to start taking KACE overflow it will probably be time to :yotj:

FUN. I've thankfully heard nothing about the KACE team at our site.

Saw this on the Not Always Right site. Fits with this thread to a T:

http://notalwaysright.com/calling-about-his-c-pee-yew/35973

quote:

Me: “Welcome to the [Company] support desk. You’re speaking to [My Name]. How can I help?”

Customer: “My toilet is broken.”

Me: “Sorry, can you repeat that? You called an IT support desk about a toilet?”

Customer: “Yes, my toilet is blocked. Can you fix it remotely?”

Me: “Sorry, sir. I am unable to remote on to your toilet to unblock it. You will need to call a plumber if it is that bad or use a plunger.”

Customer: “You are supposed to be a support desk. You are not being helpful. Don’t you worry. I will call back and get another agent to help.” *click*

(The customer did call back. The manager got on the other agent’s phone, and basically laughed down the phone at the customer, asking if he has turned the toilet off and on again, or reinstalled the cistern.)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Server toilet.contoso.local cannot flush transaction logs. Please contact your administrator.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

Wise choice. I am one of those in Healthcare IT and the applications people get poo poo on like crazy.

I really love that the posters in this thread have scared people off so thoroughly from healthcare IT. It's such an utter shitshow that if I didn't have to move thousands of miles for another job I'd be long gone from the hospital I work at.

Just today we had the vendor that supports our PACS system make a number of changes without warning us. One of which disabled the computers that view images in three locations including our ED's trauma room. It thankfully was not in use at the time but :wtc:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

It's like we've got each other's backs.

Varkk posted:

So many posters in this thread who would fail the bus test.
If you seriously can't take your time off you are owed then something is seriously wrong. If your company can't handle a brief scheduled period with you away, what happens if something comes out of the blue?

I used to feel that way "Everything will catch fire if I leave for a day or two, etc" after seeing other people get burned out I now gladly take my PTO.

I have F*ck It Fridays with one of my friends. When possible we alternate fridays off.

Remember kids.
In any job, you can always get more money but you cannot get back your time.

I'm trying to gently tell this to my girlfriend who is in an extremely high stress job and it's tearing her apart and killing her.

If you have PTO use it. It's what it is for. Give a week or two notice for PTO and let your management sort that poo poo out. poo poo will either work out or not. It's not your problem. Work never changes...

You are worthless to your family, friends and coworkers of you are and angry burned out person.

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

It's like we've got each other's backs.

GreenNight posted:

That's when you start to blame everything on XP. Mouse stopped working? XP. Bathrooms flooded? XP.

Sorry boss. I don't know how all of the Win xp machines all suddenly died from water damage. :shrug:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rip out a few caps a week on XP machines. I don't know why these are failing boss, maybe because they're a decade old.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

GreenNight posted:

Rip out a few caps a week on XP machines. I don't know why these are failing boss, maybe because they're a decade old.

Dr. Kevork-turing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

spog posted:

I'm currently sitting around the house, scratching my testicles for a week as if I don't take it by the month-end, I lose it.

Incidentally, one of my best investmnets of the year was to buy a personal phone, so I can leave the work phone on a shelf. Even the benefits of completely-free calls are outweighed by my inability to stop myself from reading work-related emails whenever they come in.

My job, while I love it, pestered me for a couple weeks about having my personal cell along with my work cell. My response was "I like to keep my work life and personal life separate, thanks." Nobody bugged me about it afterward, and if any job ever has expected (or ever will expect) me to work during vacation time, they'll drat well reimburse that time back to me. Otherwise, gently caress off because it's called vacation for a reason.

• Locked thread