Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

It's like we've got each other's backs.

GreenNight posted:

Rip out a few caps a week on XP machines. I don't know why these are failing boss, maybe because they're a decade old.

:siren: TRIGGER WARNING: Blown capacitors :siren:

I hated that era in lovely Dell motherboards. It was my first real IT job. I'm glad Dell retreated back to just lackluster systems and not ones prone to actually exploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Every capacitor from that time period is lovely because it was a stolen half finished design that everyone pushed into production.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Think of the capacitor issue as a boon as it helped usher out countless Pentium 4 workstations

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

mattfl posted:

I don't understand this line of thinking. It's not your fault that no one else can do your job. It's your PTO time, you've earned it, use it! Whatever company you work for will not burn down if you take a few weeks off.

Your logic isn't wrong, but this can often make things worse, since you will end up returning to a giant exploded mess. I did get some news that one of the jackholes who's been gone for weeks on fake medical poo poo might be coming back on Monday, so maybe I will finally get some time.
I do appreciate that I can always depend on getting jumped on when I come in here and say generally stupid things like my original statement.

Sickening posted:

I would hate that system. Seems too stacked in the employers favor.

I have "official" PTO but before we were bought out, there was a general policy for salaried folk where we could basically do as we pleased as long as everything was accomplished. PTO might be used for absences of 2-3 days or more, but generally not.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Our head greybeard in charge of the mainframe at work went ill a few weeks ago and while he is expected to return in the future, we don't have a real set date. The people he managed have been scrambling for the last couple of weeks, as the head guy is way too picky on hiring, and they have a real issue with keeping people hire due to some really lovely hours combined with a extremely important process that has to be run at night.

It really is something that needs to have 2 people on it just for the extra pair of eyes, but there isn't enough work to justify extra people at the same time. But a new person hosed it up awhile back, and it cost us more then hiring 2 people for years.

But, it won't change. Corporate likes the idea of IT ran lean, and since we constantly scrape by, this will keep up until things collapse in a dramatic fashion someday.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I took today off and this thread just made me Peek at my email. A lot of sit broke today while I was out. This makes me really happy.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Several tickets came in today. And yesterday. And the day before that, and every day before that.

:( "My blackberry isn't working."

I'm getting so sick of this and have taken to enabling ActiveSync for users (against policy) and telling them to use their personal phones because Blackberry is such a horrible piece of poo poo.

Especially since we're stuck on a BES that only supports blackberry 7 and corporate is covering their ears and going "lalalalala" when we tell them we literally cannot source bb7 phones any more.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Indian Co-worker posted:

@Pseudomonkey Please see the excel sheet for whom we got invalid 'crt' files. Please do the needful.

Now today is complete

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I spent a couple of hours wrestling with a bluescreening laptop (device driver issue) for a VIP, because Windows does not respect its own settings. I eventually had to go and find the registry key that controls the setting I needed; this key's location is different from what the documentation says it is and it has a different name from what the documentation says it does. This laptop also does not have an optical drive or a wired NIC, and the device that was causing problems was the wireless card. That was a fun time. :argh:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Ticket came in:

USB Monitors are popping up for admin credentials, even after we installed the software/drivers for Displaylink.

I can see that these USB Monitors are going to be a PITA.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

RadicalR posted:

Ticket came in:

USB Monitors are popping up for admin credentials, even after we installed the software/drivers for Displaylink.

I can see that these USB Monitors are going to be a PITA.

DisplayLink software tends to call home for driver updates pretty often. It will ask for admin credentials at this time. I haven't looked for a way to disable this since everyone at my job are local admins.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What drivers are you installing?

The corporate packages shouldn't check for updates. http://www.displaylink.com/support/sla.php?fileid=108

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Caged posted:

What drivers are you installing?

The corporate packages shouldn't check for updates. http://www.displaylink.com/support/sla.php?fileid=108

Oh nice. We just plug them in and let Windows install it auto.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you register for a corp account (free, they don't really check anything) then there's a bunch of information in there. The only updates you'll get will be ones that come down through Windows Update, which shouldn't need elevation to install.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a package was on my desk.

I setup an onsite service for internal speakers on an all-in-one on Friday and this morning the speakers were sitting on my desk with the client they are for in another city. I contacted lenovo, spoke to a tech and he corrected the mistake, onsite is setup for tomorrow, no big deal. Tech requested I send back the speakers I have. So I go to the guy who opened the box and ask him for the shipping label. He cut open the box without taking out any shipping documentation so the return shipping label is now on my desk in four pieces.

:cripes:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A ray of light in the lovely American overtime laws came in...

http://consumerist.com/2014/03/12/president-to-issue-order-expanding-number-of-workers-eligible-for-overtime/

Consumerist article posted:

The NY Times — the first to report the news — says the greatest impact will be felt in occupations like fast-food managers, loan officers, and computer technicians, who often work long hours but who are currently classified as “executive or professional” under the current overtime standards.

Do we want to start a pool as to the entire business/corporate lobbying industry buying more Ferraris as every single major company in America seeks to have this blown out of the water by Congress?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

YOU CAN'T ATTACK THE JOB CREATORS!!!!111

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
update to the 20 gig .pst problem I was having a couple weeks back. After a few drinks with a friend of mine, he tells me about some program he used to use called "mail excavator or something" A quick google search turns up MailScavator.

Holy. loving. poo poo.

I don't know if I can pimp this application on here, but its awesome. I'm currently breaking down said 20 gig .pst file into smaller .pst files by year. You can set all sort of other parameters, but after an hour and a half, its still chugging along. mail from 2007-present all being neatly organized into its own file.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am not necessarily looking to bash hard on MS here, but is there a WORSE methodology out there for email storage than PST files? Was it at one point legitimate and it just can't scale to this degree?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't understand it at all. I can see why they would want an archive format that wasn't a huge inbox on the Exchange server, but to make the format all but incompatible with being on a network (oh hey look your PC went to sleep and now it's corrupt!) is the dumbest idea ever. Either you can have an archive of your 'important' messages that breaks all the time, or you can lose it when your hard drive dies.

It would have been easier if it had never existed until online archiving came along, because then people would have to do things like detaching files from messages and putting them on file shares, and thinking about whether or not they actually need to keep every message ever. Combine this with a company director who hates technology, doesn't understand it, doesn't want to understand it, holds contempt towards the people who work with it, and won't spend any money asking why everyone can't have gigabytes of email storage 'like you get with Gmail' and it's a very lovely situation.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

...is there a WORSE methodology out there for email storage than PST files? Was it at one point legitimate and it just can't scale to this degree?

Caged posted:

I don't understand it at all. I can see why they would want an archive format that wasn't a huge inbox on the Exchange server...
You guys realize that not everyone with Outlook has Exchange/MAPI access, right?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

nexxai posted:

You guys realize that not everyone with Outlook has Exchange/MAPI access, right?

The only reason to use Outlook is Exchange. Anyone who uses Outlook for IMAP/POP email has no hope remaining for their salvation.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
You have to remember the PST has been around for the better part of two decades. It came about in an era of dial up links and a much less resilient to WAN links version of Exchange.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

A phone call came in. A user started today and has no computer. We have no ticket for this user but her manager insists he put one in. So I go and check the queue. Sure enough, he has one in. Its been sitting unloved and forgotten in help desks dispatch queue for two weeks. Now she's getting a hastily put together T440 that's missing half its software and drivers because nobody has bothered to update the image for the new hardware.

AlternateAccount posted:

I am not necessarily looking to bash hard on MS here, but is there a WORSE methodology out there for email storage than PST files?

.NSF? :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AlexDeGruven posted:

The only reason to use Outlook is Exchange. Anyone who uses Outlook for IMAP/POP email has no hope remaining for their salvation.

Exactly. There is no reason to think of Outlook as anything other than an Exchange client - it's utterly poo poo for IMAP, and nobody should be using POP.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
.pst is fine the problem is using it as (large)file storage and e-mail itself as a file transfer service

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Well, in this case, I put in the ticket. I am still kind of an isolated shithead with no admin tools or any sort of briefing on corporate IT policy, so I am generally just kind of pissed off at how enamored with bullshit fake security policies and their own VPN this company is.

For example:

- eTime, which everyone uses to clock in and out and to request time off requires that you're either on the local network or dialed in over the VPN. WTF for?!

- Rather than make someone route all their traffic through a state hundreds of miles away, I would like staff here to be able to access their company e-mail without having to VPN in. Nope, not possible. IMAP and POP are not enabled. People are supposed to just use OWA. WTF is the point of this? If you have OWA enabled, clearly security is not the concern since there's still an (utterly lovely) method of access.
And the worst part is, you CAN access their Exchange server remotely, but it appears that pre-2013 Outlook couldn't do more than one Exchange account without switching profiles and people here still need access to the "old" company's Exchange.
What possible priorities or methodologies have led to this? There's just no logic.

So the ticket gets back the response "POP/IMAP not available. Users should use OWA." Go gently caress yourself. OWA is not a solution for an eight hour workday dealing with hundreds of e-mails.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MJP posted:

A ray of light in the lovely American overtime laws came in...

http://consumerist.com/2014/03/12/president-to-issue-order-expanding-number-of-workers-eligible-for-overtime/

Do we want to start a pool as to the entire business/corporate lobbying industry buying more Ferraris as every single major company in America seeks to have this blown out of the water by Congress?

This would be amazing if it got doubled to 48k a year. :allears:

It won't though, it will be something stupid like, 30k a year.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

AlexDeGruven posted:

During our GMail migration (IMAP for everyone), I had one user who absolutely refused to lose Outlook because she had spent like 8 years meticulously sorting every email she had ever downloaded from the old POP services (before I worked there...) into Outlook folders. She's using Outlook thru POP on Gmail now in our 100% uptime building :rolleyes: I do not want to know how much time she spends sorting emails every day that will never be consulted. I also fear for the life of the person who accidentally deletes that PST cause I'm not backing it up :c00l:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

A phone call came in.

The guy who normally handles issues this phone call was related to was working from out of the office today, so my immediate response was to write to our email support his issues and I will send them to the appropriate person.

Queue me sitting with the phone next to my head for the next five minutes while neither of us say anything and the person on the other end is typing up the email to support. I even ask if there is anything I can help with and get no response. When this person is done they hang up without even saying bye. Rude.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Manslaughter posted:

A phone call came in.

The guy who normally handles issues this phone call was related to was working from out of the office today, so my immediate response was to write to our email support his issues and I will send them to the appropriate person.

Queue me sitting with the phone next to my head for the next five minutes while neither of us say anything and the person on the other end is typing up the email to support. I even ask if there is anything I can help with and get no response. When this person is done they hang up without even saying bye. Rude.

"hello? hello? i can't hear you, i'm going to hang up and send you an email" *click*

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

Roargasm posted:

I also fear for the life of the person who accidentally deletes that PST cause I'm not backing it up :c00l:

I live for moments like this one. "oh, I'm sorry you let your toddler spill juice and vomit into your laptop, and that you refused to use any network shares to store your data. These *mission critical* files are lost to a sea of evacuated stomach fluids and ignorance."

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

I am not necessarily looking to bash hard on MS here, but is there a WORSE methodology out there for email storage than PST files? Was it at one point legitimate and it just can't scale to this degree?
Thousands of individual emails saved as .msg files? Fortunately most of the people who liked to File>Save As their email seem to be retiring out, that must have been standard practice in some client used around my place forever ago because the people that do that are always the old-timers.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Ask me about Outlook Express, a 2gb limit on individual folder sizes, and the lack of an error message to tell you that this has been reached.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

thebigcow posted:

Ask me about Outlook Express, a 2gb limit on individual folder sizes, and the lack of an error message to tell you that this has been reached.

Heh, had to deal with this a while back for friends mom. Bah.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I've had systems that were running Outlook Express, MSN Windows Live Mail and Outlook 20xx simultaneously with a user that doesn't grasp the concept of what an 'email client' is so god knows how they managed to set them all up in the first place.

I would say 95%+ of the people I see running Outlook would be better off with web mail or some super-simple client like Thunderbird. Most people don't even use any of outlook's calender functions.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A ticket came in.... last Friday at 5pm :mad:

Client's server has a folder on it with thousands of duplicate files, would like a list of them.

I eventually find a free app that allows export to .csv for free, run it and send the result. I even get a thank-you email for it on Saturday!

Today client writes back and wants to know, of the 82GB in this folder, how much of that is files 5MB and greater (11GB worth), and how much space would be saved by deleting their duplicates (6.2GB).

I send her these answers, and she'd like to go ahead and delete duplicates 5MB and up.

I'm not much of a scripting guy, but I imagine a batch file could do this - could it?

EDIT: Never mind, looks like nirsoft has what I need!http://www.nirsoft.net/articles/find_duplicate_files.html

Edit 2: Only thing it doesn't do is let me select only the duplicate files.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 12, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am not entirely sure, but I am pretty sure some Notepad++ sorting and finagling could produce a batch file that could manage this.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hmmmm. I'll play with it and see. The current search result has 1,210 files including originals. Many files have more than one duplicate (I saw one with 13). Hopefully this gives me what I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I'm SSHing from an remote desktop session from a citrix session from a firefox in another citrix session from a win7 virtual machine on a 2 year old laptop running Red Hat and..... hey it's actually working quite well.

In other news, this device requiring 3 month retention of logs was set to 30 days, 2 months ago! And now it's being audited! And people are requesting reports from the month which doesn't EXIST! Tickets will be raised, heads will be removed.

• Locked thread