Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

dietcokefiend posted:

Looks like another Dreamliner issue... although this time an engine had to be cut half-way to SFO and landed in Hawaii.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/10/travel/dreamliner-engine-problem/

SFO = San Francisco those who don't memorize airport codes.

Fake edit: although I guess that one isn't as enigmatic as others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

onezero posted:

So this reporting on the Malaysia flight has brought this to my attention:

http://boingboing.net/2014/03/11/the-727-that-vanished-without.html

I must not have been paying attention at the time, as I had no idea a 727 just up and disappeared in 2003. I'm surprised the media didn't get all rabble rabble about a potential Terrorist Airlines scenario.

Oh the media is all over the OMG TERRISM angle. Was in a waiting room today and every news channel had talking heads on going "well it might not have been terrorism but it very well could have been!" and CNN had a big "CIA DIRECTOR SAYS TERRORISM NOT OUT OF QUESTION" on the bottom of the screen the entire time they were talking about it.

The problem is we still don't know anything and I guess for once US media is worried about being too hasty/sensationalistic?

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 11, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm still sticking with the "somebody took their phone out of airplane mode" theory.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I seem to remember one of the first things after Columbia broke up was "SHUTTLE PROBABLY NOT DESTROYED DUE TO TERRORISM"

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm still sticking with the "somebody took their phone out of airplane mode" theory.

Yeah, Boeing. :downsrim:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

onezero posted:

I must not have been paying attention at the time, as I had no idea a 727 just up and disappeared in 2003. I'm surprised the media didn't get all rabble rabble about a potential Terrorist Airlines scenario.

I will bet pretty much anything that aircraft either was broken up for parts or simply had its registration changed.

Planes disappearing like that isn't unheard of. I know pilots who have had to walk onto a plane somewhere in africa/south america, start it up and just fly away to reposes it for the owner. Also, aircraft do get "stolen" from time to time and re-birthed.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 11, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

onezero posted:

They did.

I remember it happening, and the claims that it was somehow related to Al Qaeda in Africa and how they'd use it to bomb the US and other assorted batshittery.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Captain Postal posted:

I will bet pretty much anything that aircraft either was broken up for parts or simply had its registration changed.

Planes disappearing like that isn't unheard of. I know pilots who have had to walk onto a plane somewhere in africa/south america, start it up and just fly away to reposes it for the owner. Also, aircraft do get "stolen" from time to time and re-birthed.

I wonder what happened to the dudes who were last seen with the aircraft. Probably got tossed out into the ocean.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I wonder what happened to the dudes who were last seen with the aircraft. Probably got tossed out into the ocean.

Maybe. I would guess that they just got paid for the job and went to fly 727's somewhere else in the world

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

You're most likely right, but your cool analysis is harshing my criminal conspiracy mystery buzz.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Naturally Selected posted:

Oh the media is all over the OMG TERRISM angle. Was in a waiting room today and every news channel had talking heads on going "well it might not have been terrorism but it very well could have been!" and CNN had a big "CIA DIRECTOR SAYS TERRORISM NOT OUT OF QUESTION" on the bottom of the screen the entire time they were talking about it.

The problem is we still don't know anything and I guess for once US media is worried about being too hasty/sensationalistic?

Oh, I meant the 727 in 2003.

Yeah, for this Malaysia flight, there's the standard frothing over any new piece of information (despite how thoroughly unvetted it may be), as if repeating "WELL SHEESH WE STILL HAVE NO IDEA" is newsworthy.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

List of Aerial disappearances

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Holy crap, they lost an A-12? That must have caused an incredible shitstorm; I'm surprised it's public knowledge.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

http://www.habu.org/a-12/06932.html

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Holy crap, they lost an A-12? That must have caused an incredible shitstorm; I'm surprised it's public knowledge.

Well, only since 2007 as far as I can tell.

edit: That's not right actually, although I don't think it was made public at the time.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
I feel like we here in the U.S. should lend the British some redwood saplings to plant around BHX, or something.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Or maybe some earth movers to deal with the hills in their runway. :stare:

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Ardeem posted:

Or maybe some earth movers to deal with the hills in their runway. :stare:

You can see the ones in the foreground in some of those shots. They're busy putting more hills in, I think.

Edit: Another video, one much cooler this time: Russian Pilots of the Congo.

ctishman fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 12, 2014

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Watching that big bitch go around at 6:50'ish, really drives home to me how badly those Asiana 214 pilots hosed up. At the correct approach speed, that huge airplane climbs out like a rocket ship.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Locator posted:

Watching that big bitch go around at 6:50'ish, really drives home to me how badly those Asiana 214 pilots hosed up. At the correct approach speed, that huge airplane climbs out like a rocket ship.

How long does it take the engines to spool up? In other words, at what point did they decide to do the go-around?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Just a second or two on modern engines, they're pretty responsive.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CharlesM posted:

How long does it take the engines to spool up? In other words, at what point did they decide to do the go-around?

FAA Regs (FAR 33.73) requires: From the fixed minimum flight idle power lever position when provided, or if not provided, from not more than 15 percent of the rated takeoff power or thrust available to 95 percent rated takeoff power or thrust in not over 5 seconds.

Those regs are pretty old, and modern engines respond faster than required. The thing with Asiana is that they were 34 knots below final approach speed, and didn't advance the throttles until less than 7 seconds before impact, so they just didn't have the airspeed to allow the added engine thrust to stop the descent.

It's my understanding, that the engines shouldn't have been in flight idle on final approach either (although I'm not a pilot so take that for what it's worth).

e: spelling

The Locator fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 12, 2014

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

The Locator posted:

FAA Regs (FAR 33.73) requires: From the fixed minimum flight idle power lever position when provided, or if not provided, from not more than 15 percent of the rated takeoff power or thrust available to 95 percent rated takeoff power or thrust in not over 5 seconds.

Those regs are pretty old, and modern engines respond faster than required. The thing with Asiana is that they were 34 knots below final approach speed, and didn't advance the throttles until less than 7 seconds before impact, so they just didn't have the airspeed to allow the added engine thrust to stop the descent.

It's my understanding, that they engines shouldn't have been in flight idle on final approach either (although I'm not a pilot so take that for what it's worth).

For a "stable" approach the criteria entails having thrust above idle along with sink rate and aircraft configured (gear, flaps) prior to 1000 feet above ground level.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

onezero posted:

IIRC they did somewhat, but there were a few other events in the national security arena that occupied the U.S. media's 24 hour cycle in 2003 so it wasn't all al-Qaeda 727 all the time like it might've been if it had vanished, say, the year prior.

The Air & Space article on it is pretty good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Would it have even been possible to get a cell phone call or text message out on the Malaysia flight? Maybe once they changed direction and got back over land again?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Or they could just do what almost everyone else with high seasonal crosswinds does, and build another runway...

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

BonoMan posted:

Would it have even been possible to get a cell phone call or text message out on the Malaysia flight? Maybe once they changed direction and got back over land again?

Probably not.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Cell phone coverage cuts out roughly 1nm from the coastline (if the coast has good cell coverage), so no. Short of the flight having a relay for cells, it didn't happen.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

MrYenko posted:

Or they could just do what almost everyone else with high seasonal crosswinds does, and build another runway...

That airport probably has something in with the local tire contractor. Some of those planes are burning rubber just trying to keep center line after releasing their brakes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

You know, after watching that I now think it could be fun as poo poo to fly planes. I never felt like that prior to seeing that video.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Holy poo poo that second one.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
How likely is this theory that gradual decompression led to everyone losing consciousness before warnings went off? It seems like this would be like a thing every airplane manufacturer would have planned for from the very beginning of pressurized cabins but reading this thread I've learned not to assume things like that.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Ola posted:

Its original course was northeast, to head into the Malacca strait it must have changed to a west to southwesterly heading. Very loving weird. Could be that there was a bomb attack and that they were trying to nurse a crippled aircraft back to Kuala Lumpur, could be that the military source is wrong, could be almost anything in between.

If I keep believing the news sources, I'll start thinking they're talking about some kind of Quantum Jet that's in a superposition over a radius of 600 miles when they're not looking at it.

e: Indulge me for a moment and entertain the likelihood of the plane being stolen by someone who knew what they were doing/turned the transponder off. What are the odds of evading radar coverage and landing somewhere within the fuel range of that 777?

Job Truniht fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 12, 2014

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Eej posted:

How likely is this theory that gradual decompression led to everyone losing consciousness before warnings went off? It seems like this would be like a thing every airplane manufacturer would have planned for from the very beginning of pressurized cabins but reading this thread I've learned not to assume things like that.

Everything in that post is complete bullshit with the exception of the stuff he copied from other people. To answer your question, yes, the oxygen *should* deploy automatically at a given pressure altitude. Lets agree with him that its FL135 for arguments sake. Think how many mountains there are above that height (even entire cities) that get climbed every single day, and factor in that it took no more than a few minutes between leaving radio range with everything being fine and not reporting in and everything gone wrong. Healthy people can easily survive that altitude, although they may get sick if not acclimatised (for reference, the "death zone" starts at 26kft). He's basically assuming that everyone suffered simultaneous pulmonary embolism.

However, it has been known for aircraft to depressurize and the oxygen system itself to fail, and the aircraft to fly with unconscious/dead crew until running out of fuel and crashing. I know that happened once with a Beech King Air in Australia.

Note: when anyone starts talking about using iOS to track aircraft 100+ NM out to sea, you can safely ignore that person as being a loving idiot. He's such a loving idiot that he doesn't even understand that Malaysia and Vietnam are not part of America, don't answer to US courts and US search and rescue. NTSB doesn't officially get involved until the wreckage of a US built aircraft is found. I genuinely pity the NTSB person that has to deal with him if he insists on following this up

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 12, 2014

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
If you read it on tumblr, It's wrong. :eng101:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Captain Postal posted:

Everything in that post is complete bullshit with the exception of the stuff he copied from other people. To answer your question, yes, the oxygen *should* deploy automatically at a given pressure altitude. Lets agree with him that its FL135 for arguments sake. Think how many mountains there are above that height (even entire cities) that get climbed every single day, and factor in that it took no more than a few minutes between leaving radio range with everything being fine and not reporting in and everything gone wrong. Healthy people can easily survive that altitude, although they may get sick if not acclimatised (for reference, the "death zone" starts at 26kft).

Something like 50% of people experience AMS issues above 10kft. I mean this is separate from what is being debated here, but it's anything but easy to survive at high altitude.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Aren't most of those AMS symptoms headaches and shortness of breath though? By "easily survive" without being acclimatised, I meant for a timescale of a few minutes, and without losing the ability to fly a plane. The argument of that bullshit tumblr is basically that there would be no symptoms other than unconsciousness

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 12, 2014

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Captain Postal posted:

However, it has been known for aircraft to depressurize and the oxygen system itself to fail, and the aircraft to fly with unconscious/dead crew until running out of fuel and crashing. I know that happened once with a Beech King Air in Australia.

And famously, with a greek 737, killing 121 people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522

Notably in that case, none of the electronics such as the transponder or the autopilot were switched off and the plane was tracked (even intercepted by fighters) all the way until it ran out of fuel and crashed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've heard that they're crowdsourcing human analysis of satellite images on Tomnod.com but it appears to be overwhelmed now. I hope someone can donate some servers / hosting. I'd like to try and help if I can.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Isn't Britain notoriously anti-airport expansion or is that just around London?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

MrYenko posted:

There's also the problem of there not being any space in which to put a cross runway of the length required. I suspect topography also plays a role as birmingham has 33/15 and the prevailing wind in the UK is a south westerly. Most airfield main runways are around 25-27.