O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Posted to a local auto sale/trade group on facebook... description "For sale 7500 obo. 89 300zx non turbo. One of a kind body kit and customs costed me 10k alone my lose your gain"

A few quotes from the seller:

"U guys shood c my civic"

"Its a 350z clone"

"Its got a fast motor"

"7000 obo need gone got a new projekt"

someone else: "Do not let this man start another project lol"

"Im building a mustang with a bmw front and another car"

I am 99% sure it's a troll, but a well done one.

I'm pretty sure that's a troll. I've seen a picture of that dumbfuck front bumper with the intakes 2" off the ground years ago.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yeah and the mustang/BMW/other car hybrid he mentions is a thing that has been around for a while. '05 Mustang with a 5 series front end and R34 Skyline rear end. Phone posting or I would find a picture of it.

HDC
Mar 11, 2006
The only thing I found was the red E28 with R34 rear and Mustang-"inspired" front.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

trouser chili posted:

What are people getting for real world mileage out of those things? I pulled 54mpg on my commute today with the pussywagen TDI. Eighteen mile commute half highway half surface streets.

I guy I work with has a Volt. Says he got 156mpg out of his last tank commuting to work as back.

I average 35 miles daily and end up using 8-10 kwh of electricity (60-90 cents locally) and no gas.

Lifetime average of 167 mpg

I'm also just under 1300 miles on this tank and have used 4.2 gallons of gas.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 12, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This belongs here

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Goober Peas posted:

I average 35 miles daily and end up using 8-10 kwh of electricity (60-90 cents locally) and no gas.

Lifetime average of 167 mpg

I'm also just under 1300 miles on this tank and have used 4.2 gallons of gas.

At what point do you get a new tank simply because the old gas has gone bad?

Phone posted:

This belongs here

I get it, but why don't you explain to less savvy people what we're looking at here? It's the sloppy hard lines and the cattywompus proportioning valve(?), right?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's the stupid brass junction between the two hard lines.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

beanofan69 posted:

So I'm pretty sure I saw this same van a few months ago, only with some different words on it now.

I'm bad at taking pictures.

I have to trot this one out occasionally.

Unfortunately the original 5 megapixel picture is long, long gone, though last time I checked his YouTube channel it'd been taken down.

I didn't see the license plate frame at first, I giggled when I read that as BUTTGOD.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

At what point do you get a new tank simply because the old gas has gone bad?

The Volt can monitor the time between engine running and prompt the driver to drive beyond the car's electrical range to start the engine. It can also run the engine automatically to use up that fuel and circulate fluids in the engine. I assume that it monitors when the last fill up was so that it can run the engine to use up the fuel before it exceeds its shelf life.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Goober Peas posted:

I average 35 miles daily and end up using 8-10 kwh of electricity (60-90 cents locally) and no gas.

Lifetime average of 167 mpg

I'm also just under 1300 miles on this tank and have used 4.2 gallons of gas.

I'm about to have a commute where the volt would be perfect for me except for the fact that it would take 35 years (at today's gas and electricity prices) for the fuel savings to cover the cost of the vehicle :(

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But if you were in the market for a new car anyway...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Safety Dance posted:

I get it, but why don't you explain to less savvy people what we're looking at here? It's the sloppy hard lines and the cattywompus proportioning valve(?), right?

I bent the hardlines to fit the new master cylinder style and basically worked with what I had from the 2 different master cylinders. It's not pretty. It works.

The brass union fitting is necessary, front brakes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Galler posted:

I'm about to have a commute where the volt would be perfect for me except for the fact that it would take 35 years (at today's gas and electricity prices) for the fuel savings to cover the cost of the vehicle :(

Don't factor in the cost of the car then.. the car itself is always a money sink, you're paying that money whether it gets 10mpg or 100mpg.

Just calculate the gas as how much you spend on it per month. The Prius cut mine easily in half.. an extra xbox game or a giant steak dinner or whatever else I feel like burning cash on. If you're moving from a truck or SUV the difference will be even bigger.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Random, what's the real world range on the Volt without dipping into the engine? A tiny part of me thinks it'd be the perfect car for my job (delivery). No way in hell could I afford one, but I can always dream. :allears:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Random, what's the real world range on the Volt without dipping into the engine? A tiny part of me thinks it'd be the perfect car for my job (delivery). No way in hell could I afford one, but I can always dream. :allears:

I would think that your charge time in between deliveries wouldn't be sufficient to prevent hitting the charge motor.

Now, if each pizza place had a whole fleet of them...

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

xzzy posted:

Don't factor in the cost of the car then.. the car itself is always a money sink, you're paying that money whether it gets 10mpg or 100mpg.

Just calculate the gas as how much you spend on it per month. The Prius cut mine easily in half.. an extra xbox game or a giant steak dinner or whatever else I feel like burning cash on. If you're moving from a truck or SUV the difference will be even bigger.

The monthly payment would far exceed my monthly fuel bill. Actually a new Volt costs more than every car I've ever owned added together including their maintenance and fuel bills. My current car is a Honda Fit so fuel expenses really aren't that significant I just think a Volt would be neat to have. I will eventually be buying some expensive vehicles but they aren't going to be daily drivers.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

some texas redneck posted:

Random, what's the real world range on the Volt without dipping into the engine? A tiny part of me thinks it'd be the perfect car for my job (delivery). No way in hell could I afford one, but I can always dream. :allears:

Bob Lutz is running a company that does electric drive retrofits to GM trucks and vans, and then sells them(or plans to anyway) mostly to commercial fleets. Hotel airport shuttles and the such make a few runs every day and then for the most part just sit and charge, and it seems the economics of it actually work out pretty decently. Because he is only retrofitting existing trucks and vans there isn't nearly as much emissions or crash testing crap as you would get on a new ground-up vehicle so his costs are pretty low.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Phone posted:

I bent the hardlines to fit the new master cylinder style and basically worked with what I had from the 2 different master cylinders. It's not pretty. It works.

The brass union fitting is necessary, front brakes.

there's absolutely nothing wrong with those lines

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Beach Bum posted:

I would think that your charge time in between deliveries wouldn't be sufficient to prevent hitting the charge motor.

Now, if each pizza place had a whole fleet of them...

Haha, like I could charge between deliveries (and I'm sure if I asked the owner to set up a charging station, I'd either be laughed out of the building.. or fired immediately). I either have 2 minutes between orders, or 2 hours.

I typically do about ~100 miles for a reasonably busy shift. That's not counting the 15 miles each way to work. :saddowns:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Safety Dance posted:

At what point do you get a new tank simply because the old gas has gone bad?

The computer (tm) keeps track of your last fill up and will go into forced burn mode after a certain period of time. It will also go into temporary burn if the ambient temperature is less than 15f and it wasn't plugged in - to keep the battery pack at optimum temperature.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

some texas redneck posted:

Random, what's the real world range on the Volt without dipping into the engine? A tiny part of me thinks it'd be the perfect car for my job (delivery). No way in hell could I afford one, but I can always dream. :allears:

It would be a bad choice for mobile Italian catering. My range has been 35 miles winter, 40-50 for the rest of the year. On a 4 hour charge from dry.

I crunched the numbers when I bought mine. Looking at the delta between a regular fuel efficient car price, the cost of gas and electricity, the cost of maintenance, my break even point was 46 months.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
So I saw this today.

I used to own a 1998 Ford Taurus we inherited from my wife's grandmother. It was the biggest piece of poo poo and I literally danced for joy when we finally got rid of it. I cannot imagine someone actually 'loving' one of these enough to put their name on it... and they did this.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Clearly their handicap is a mental one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Guys, unicorns are farting out tires now.

:stare:

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

some texas redneck posted:

Guys, unicorns are farting out tires now.

:stare:

I know i'm kind of a weirdo already because I only run Michelin tires for both my snows and summer tires, but what series of bad decisions would cause you to have those installed on your vehicle?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Most people don't know a single thing about tires and just go into the tire place asking for the cheapest thing they can put on their car that will allow them to leave. Assuming they can afford the luxury of new tires and don't have to go to the junk yard to hopefully find a matched set of used tires with some life on them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unicorn Tire is an importer of cheap Chinese tires, which says just about everything you need to know.

Shouldn't be legal to sell, most stories of the company's products are descriptions of unplanned disassembly events.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think you're making something out of nothing. They use the tires in China and they're not all dead.

I ran Chinese tires on my rig and although the gravel ate through them in 60k and 90k, they didn't kill anybody.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Phone posted:

This belongs here

I see scooby doo on the left. A malformed scooby doo with a blue collar.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 12, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Powershift posted:

They use the tires in China and they're not all dead.

Nobody knows why they're not all dead yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPxinqO3f8o

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I was in western & southern China recently and the driving there was bizarre. Many of the highways are brand new, so the pavement, lane markings, and signage is all in great shape and yet nobody gives a gently caress about any of that. Even calling them "suggestions" would be generous. People just drive wherever the hell they want, park wherever they want, drive with all their lights off at night, etc. 4 lane highways are only 2 lanes because people drive for miles on top of the lane dividers... or 2 lane highways are 4 lanes because why the hell not. Multiple times I saw people driving in reverse on the highway because they missed their exit... or because they just didn't give a gently caress.

Also, to make things worse, due to the rapid development and urbanization of the country the majority of people driving in China have less than 5 years experience and they are driving 1980s-era equivalent vehicles.

Driving almost anywhere in Asia is already an adventure, but China is just amateur hour all over the place.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 12, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The thing about China is that from a government/safety perspective you have to think about people in terms of percentages, and with the population of China you have to bump off a whole shitload of people before you crack 0.1%.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's why they have "incidents per X number of people" statistics. In terms of road deaths I think China is actually right in the middle of the pack worldwide.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Galler posted:

Most people don't know a single thing about tires and just go into the tire place asking for the cheapest thing they can put on their car that will allow them to leave. Assuming they can afford the luxury of new tires and don't have to go to the junk yard to hopefully find a matched set of used tires with some life on them.

Is there any place that provides comparative data on tires that dont cost $200 each?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you have 15" wheels all tires are under $200. :getin:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

SanitysEdge posted:

Is there any place that provides comparative data on tires that dont cost $200 each?

Tire Rack is pretty comprehensive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

amenenema posted:

Tire Rack is pretty comprehensive.

Curiously, every single reviewer on that site drives "spirited."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Phone posted:

If you have 15" wheels all tires are under $200. :getin:

$420 smoke offroad tires errday :v: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/37x14-50-15LT-Creepy-Crawler.aspx?t_c=13&t_s=533&t_pt=101498&t_pn=MXXTL30008000

e: that being said, the 205/70R15 studded snows I run on my DD right now are $78 each... with studs preinstalled. $63 without. It's a pleasant change from the prices I normally pay for tires.

If the tires aren't squealing you aren't driving "spirited", tirerack users.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 12, 2014

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

If you have 15" wheels all tires are under $200. :getin:

Hoosier A6 or R6 :cthulhu:

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013

xzzy posted:

Curiously, every single reviewer on that site drives "spirited."

Lol. In my experience people who refer to themselves are "spirited drivers" spend more time reading jalop then they do behind the wheel and are afraid to wind out their peaky 4 banger.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4