Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Korak posted:

Someone on the reddit mtg site posted a ridiculous list that wins with Codex Shredder and it actually is a decent UW deck. What is better than saying you went 4-0 with Codex Shredder beatdown?

I don't know about a reddit list, but the U/W codex shredder list i know is called The Fun Police. And it is seriously the most unfun deck to play against. It is built to continually cycle your deck forcing a time out.
gently caress that deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
re: Netdeck talk

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack in the day, there was one website. I mean, there were a lot of websites, but there was only one magic website. The Dojo. This site changed the game, since now people had a place to find good decks, good deck ideas and articles that would help them play.

Much like today, some people would find a deck they liked (possibly due to the fact that it won a tournament or a pro player made it) and copy it from the site. Thus began the derogatory term of 'net deck.' People used to look down upon it, much like other civil rights issues of our times.

Now that it is perfectly acceptable to find a deck on the internet and use it to whichever means you wish, those angry old guys are relegated to the same place your completely racist uncle, who refuses to move along with the rest of the world, are kept.

TL;DR - Get off my lawn, netdecks!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

En Fuego posted:

TL;DR - Get off my lawn, netdecks!

That's not true. Lots of people are just sore losers but something was lost when the internet made solving formats an incredibly fast and efficient process. I know plenty of people who don't play now because they feel the game leaves little space for personal expression.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

That's not true. Lots of people are just sore losers but something was lost when the internet made solving formats an incredibly fast and efficient process. I know plenty of people who don't play now because they feel the game leaves little space for personal expression.

This is actually why I love limited. There is so much more deck variation going on and you have a lot of room to build for yourself. Granted, there's still some limitations in there, but eh, given some time and practice, it's really easy to pick up and do whatever you want in a draft or sealed set of games.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Personally, I love sealed best because it most closely resembles both Richard Garfield's original vision of the game and what it was like first playing the game with my buds in '93. Everyone gets a handful of packs and you make the best of it. That on top of the regular arguments for limited being the One True Format.

It's a shame that the only opportunities I get to play it are pre-releases.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

AlternateNu posted:

I don't know about a reddit list, but the U/W codex shredder list i know is called The Fun Police. And it is seriously the most unfun deck to play against. It is built to continually cycle your deck forcing a time out.
gently caress that deck.

Honestly, I loved playing against this sort of control deck. If it goes to time, then it's usually because you kept playing for 20 minutes after you had already lost.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AlternateNu posted:

gently caress that deck.

Someone at my LGS is building this. It's the same guy that I went to turns with on game one with two elspeth emblems and aetherling out.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Stinky Pit posted:

This is my problem with netdecking. People just copy the exact list without understanding why each card is in the deck. I've always felt that building a deck takes at least as much skill as playing one. Mine probably aren't going to win any Pro Tours or anything, but they win more often than not against some pretty good players. I've netdecked some of my decks that I play for fun, but I always put my own spin on them. The only exception was THS game day where I suddenly found out I had off for it the day before and didn't have a deck, so I netdecked Esper Control because I had the cards. It was miserable. 3 control mirrors who all somehow had Slaughter Games and 2 rounds of mana screw.

And it was still more fun than stomping 3 rounds of GR monsters and losing to some boring control deck because they always find their Thoughtseizes and mine never show up, or get Thoughtseized turn 0. Those are almost the only 2 matches I've played over the past 3 FNMs.

My store actually does have a surprisingly good Modern group to make up for the terrible Standard people; there's 2 Tron people, one of who also tries to play Twin, but aside from that it's all original, or at least original versions of a more common deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AlternateNu posted:

gently caress that deck.

The original Cuneo Codex Shredder deck could kill you with Haunted Plate Mail, and I think it had some Aetherlings. Anyone who made a shittier version was missing the point, I think.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
I can't use a creature tap ability to change a land type as an interrupt, can I? Tapping lands happens faster than instant speed if I recall?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

OssiansFolly posted:

I can't use a creature tap ability to change a land type as an interrupt, can I? Tapping lands happens faster than instant speed if I recall?

Like if your opponent wants to tap a Mountain but you want to turn it into an Island? Nope. Best time to do that would be on his upkeep when he probably can't use the mana anyway.

Edit: Mana Abilities don't use the stack. They just happen. This is true of anything, not just lands. Elvish Mystic, for example. The only exception is Planeswalker abilities, which aren't mana abilities because *reasons*

Edit 2: Used the right elf.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 12, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Someone asked Chris Pikula to sign his invitational card:

Shoulda done your research buddy!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Someone asked Chris Pikula to sign his invitational card:

Shoulda done your research buddy!

That someone was Eric Klug, who definitely did his research.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Like if your opponent wants to tap a Mountain but you want to turn it into an Island? Nope. Best time to do that would be on his upkeep when he probably can't use the mana anyway.

Edit: Mana Abilities don't use the stack. They just happen. This is true of anything, not just lands. Arbor Elf, for example. The only exception is Planeswalker abilities, which aren't mana abilities because *reasons*

Ok. Thanks. (Building a Wizard Pauper EDH deck and can't figure out why a deck I am looking at is using Reef Shaman and Dream Thrush)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

OssiansFolly posted:

Ok. Thanks. (Building a Wizard Pauper EDH deck and can't figure out why a deck I am looking at is using Reef Shaman and Dream Thrush)

:swoon:

I love pauper EDH. What commanders are you thinking of?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

OssiansFolly posted:

I can't use a creature tap ability to change a land type as an interrupt, can I?

Interrupt...now that's a word I've not heard in a long time. A long time.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

suicidesteve posted:

Edit: Mana Abilities don't use the stack. They just happen. This is true of anything, not just lands. Arbor Elf, for example. The only exception is Planeswalker abilities, which aren't mana abilities because *reasons*

Arbor elf's activated ability is not a mana ability since it does not add mana and has a target. Elvish Mystic (or any of the Llanowar Elves functional reprints) does have a mana ability. Furthermore this also applies to triggered abilities like fertile ground

kirtar fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 12, 2014

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Longshot007 posted:

Thank you for the quick replies! Final question, are there any good white or colorless cards I can use to draw more cards?

Yes!

quote:

Preferably ones that don't cost an arm and a leg.
Err, kinda?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Ramos posted:

:swoon:

I love pauper EDH. What commanders are you thinking of?

Sage of Fables. Largely a Wizard and counter deck.

I will get a running list together shortly and post it in the Deck Building Thread shortly.

Edit: The work in progress list is in the Deck Building Thread.

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 12, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

kirtar posted:

Arbor elf's activated ability is not a mana ability since it does not add mana and has a target. Elvish Mystic (or any of the Llanowar Elves functional reprints) does have a mana ability. Furthermore this also applies to triggered abilities like fertile ground

I actually meant Elvish Mystic.

I always use Arbor Elf as my generic mana dork even though it's not a mana dork and I know Llanowar Elf and Birds of Paradise are the generic mana dorks.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
According to today's Uncharted Realms on the mothership, apparently something happens to Garruk (unless this is referencing Innistrad)

quote:

"And what about Garruk Wildspeaker?"

"I've made mistakes, yes. But I choose to use my position to atone for—wait, what about Garruk?"

Vraska snorted. "You don't know what's become of him, do you?"

"Why? What's happened?"

"Never mind. I'm sure you've already failed him as well."

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Cozz posted:

According to today's Uncharted Realms on the mothership, apparently something happens to Garruk (unless this is referencing Innistrad)

Most likely Innistrad. Heck it even directly referenced it and Zendikar.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Last we saw of Garruk, he was still on Innistrad in his cursed form from what Liliana did to him, being dragged off by Odric to see Avacyn.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Promoted Pawn posted:

Personally, I love sealed best because it most closely resembles both Richard Garfield's original vision of the game and what it was like first playing the game with my buds in '93. Everyone gets a handful of packs and you make the best of it. That on top of the regular arguments for limited being the One True Format.

It's a shame that the only opportunities I get to play it are pre-releases.

You have 0 PTQs near you, starting this week, for the next 3 months?

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002
So, two important announcements about Magic Online today:

First one from earlier today:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140311006569/en/Hearthstone%E2%84%A2-Heroes-Warcraft%E2%84%A2-Fun#.Ux_hzvldXhM

quote:

IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
March 11, 2014 04:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time

Blizzard Entertainment today announced that Hearthstone™: Heroes of Warcraft™, its free-to-play digital card game, is fun! Like, really fun. Which is good, because it’s now officially out of beta and fully released upon the world!

This one came late this evening:
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/03112014/ptqannouncement

quote:

Hello everyone,

In February we announced an aggressive plan to restart PTQ's on Magic Online. While we have made forward progress, our high standard of fidelity needed to run them has not yet been reached. Therefore, we are canceling the Magic Online M15 PTQ season, as well as making an adjustment to the Magic Online Championship Series (MOCS) program that will push all season prelims and finals events to a later date (prizes and such for those events will remain the same, and QPs will continue to be awarded as normal).

The momentum is positive, driven by Wizards of the Coast's commitment to deliver the best quality play experiences possible for you.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

I'm legitimately curious why Worth hasn't been fired yet.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

He's not in an enviable position, and they may know that. Short of a massive injection of cash to wholesale repair the back end there isn't going to be a good way to fix it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I'm legitimately curious why Worth hasn't been fired yet.

As far as I can tell, Worth isn't the problem. He's stuck with a massively lovely client with a codebase older than some of its youngest players, and the new options that have come forward aren't really a step in the right direction. They need something that's effectively "MODO 2" to fix their backend problems, and it's going to take Hearthstone being profitable to even nudge Hasbro in the right direction.

Worth is also the spearhead of the only thing that MTGO does right - community relations.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Niton posted:

As far as I can tell, Worth isn't the problem. He's stuck with a massively lovely client with a codebase older than some of its youngest players, and the new options that have come forward aren't really a step in the right direction. They need something that's effectively "MODO 2" to fix their backend problems, and it's going to take Hearthstone being profitable to even nudge Hasbro in the right direction.

Worth is also the spearhead of the only thing that MTGO does right - community relations.

Worth was the head guy for MTGO throughout the development of the new "Beta" client, he can't wash his hands of that.

For what it's worth I think it's likely that MTGO was badly underfunded (not enough programmers/not paying enough for quality programmers) and that the people making many of these calls were the guys above Worth, but at some point someone has to draw the line.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Alaan posted:

He's not in an enviable position, and they may know that. Short of a massive injection of cash to wholesale repair the back end there isn't going to be a good way to fix it.

By "massive injection" do you mean being willing to pay industry standard wages and benefits for programmers who know their poo poo?

"Only local candidates need apply. There is no relocation assistance for this position."

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm not sure why firing the bearer of bad news would somehow improve the situation.

The real problem with modo is that Wizards isn't willing to allocate enough budget to it, and as a result they're staffed by junior engineers and people willing to work way below market on a product they like. No-one has any real experience with creating a properly scalable system, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have issues even just getting budget for more servers to handle additional load.

It's actually kind of depressing, because they've done the hard work of building and maintaining a working rules engine, but it just falls down in the (comparatively easy to implement) area of matchmaking and tournaments.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

MODO is a train-wreck but I'm not sure people need to ponder how much Worth bears blame when something as simple as their hiring practices are ample enough evidence of why their client is total poo poo.

Turns out you can't pay peanuts for programmers in an area with massive tech companies are based. Who knew!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
For comparison, a good mid-to-senior lead type engineer could make around 300k/yr all-in at amzn/google/valve etc in Seattle. I can't imagine they offer close to that. You do get $100 month credit towards msrp (actual msrp aka $143/box) sealed product though. Now that's a perk!

vvv Well you can save up. They might get an employee discount too. When I was there for a tour everything available to me was msrp at least.

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 12, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

For comparison, a good mid-to-senior lead type engineer could make around 300k/yr all-in at amzn/google/valve etc in Seattle. I can't imagine they offer close to that. You do get $100 month credit towards msrp (actual msrp aka $143/box) sealed product though. Now that's a perk!

They don't even get enough for a full box? I mean, only having to pay $34 for a box is pretty sweet and all, but that's it?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So I have been thinking of making a w/x aura deck in standard using sphere of safety and other fun stuff and I have been thinking of either splashing red and going aggro or splashing blue and going more control. Which do you think is more useful in this current meta?

Samael fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 12, 2014

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Green/White is the usual combination for that. I know Eidolon of Countless Battles helps, but removal fucks you up real good with that sort of deck. Hexproof solves that problem.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Boxman posted:

Green/White is the usual combination for that. I know Eidolon of Countless Battles helps, but removal fucks you up real good with that sort of deck. Hexproof solves that problem.

What about fiendslayer paladin? When he's big enough he survives drown/anger and no red or black spells which can target him can touch him. I prefer chained to the rocks/assemble the legion or detention sphere, verdicts and ephara.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Samael posted:

What about fiendslayer paladin? When he's big enough he survives drown/anger and no red or black spells which can target him can touch him. I prefer chained to the rocks/assemble the legion or detention sphere, verdicts and ephara.

He doesn't actually survive either of those spells, neither of them target him.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Death Bot posted:

He doesn't actually survive either of those spells, neither of them target him.

I meant when he's enchanted with stuff he can survive them. :) I should really word my posts better, I apologize. I am leaning towards R/W enchantments because of chained to the rocks and boros charm. I am hoping for a fun R/W god in Journey to Nyx to support this archetype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
My favorite part the article today.

quote:

Jace studied a page of notes from the crime scene. The cause of death in every case: petrification.

He looked up at Lavinia. "Are we sure they're victims? Somebody didn't just... carve very lifelike statues? Really fast?

How can he be a blue mage? He's retarded!

• Locked thread