Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fitzdraco
Aug 4, 2007
Nineties era Coast to Coast was an entertainment event that will probably never be matched again. No guests just five straight hours of random calls. Repeat callers developed as characters, and occasionally somebody would do or fake doing something extremely goofy or dangerous. Other nights some national event would drive the show, one night before Christmas there was a power surge that covered everything from Canada to Mexico, for a while it was just people reporting in that they saw it, after awhile theories began to form as to what might have caused it. A week later everybody had moved on and forgotten the imminent alien invasion, or UN activities for new ones.

Militia talk ramped up along with Waco and after Waco it occupied most of the show time until the OKC bombing at which point the focus of the show changed fairly radically. Guests were increases, more time on moon hoax and the face on mars. Heaven's Gate happened about this time, and since Coast to Coast was the foremost proponent of the ship behing Cometh Hale-Bopp they took more heat from that.

It's unfortunate that the format disappeared, although I suppose you could argue internet forums replaced it it's not quite the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

I've been kind of wondering if it'd be possible to be a Libertarian without worshiping at the feet of Ayn Rand.

Back when libertarianism was the most prominent ideology in D&D (2003?) there were definitely some libertarians/minarchists who didn't like Rand. Objectivism is about as silly as political philosophy can get, and the more lucid ones realized that radical selfishness, as a virtue, wasn't going to attract people.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Came across this comment on facebook today. In regards to some story about some 80yo woman with alseimers who was imprisoned in the US for feeding crows (Story on Huffpo).

quote:

I leave food for the crows all the time. I leave them chicken bones and scraps as well as stale bread. They are highly intelligent animals. If I don't feed them, they are in danger of eating GMO corn. And to think we once fought an armed revolution in this country over some paltry taxes on stamps and tea. Shame on America.

Its not toooo far off the dial compared to some of the stuff we talk about here, I mean after all a lot of otherwise very sensible people have some pretty strange reasons to worry about GMO outside the small range of plausibly sensible reasons to worry. Rather its a good example of how even a minor conspiracy theory can infect every aspect of peoples thinking.

"I wont buy this product because it has GMO corn". Well thats one thing. "I better feed these loving crows in case they eat GMO corn!" in city where the nearest corn farm is half a loving days drive and we dont even have GMO crops in the god drat state, well thats another.

img-cukoo-clock.jpg

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Back when libertarianism was the most prominent ideology in D&D (2003?) there were definitely some libertarians/minarchists who didn't like Rand. Objectivism is about as silly as political philosophy can get, and the more lucid ones realized that radical selfishness, as a virtue, wasn't going to attract people.

I always liked the "Civil Liberties" side of Libertariansism. People should absolutely have freedom of speech, religion, and say, the right to smoke pot. We really shouldn't have things like the NHS, TSA, and drones.

Where I find them to be assholes is their takes on Gay Marriage, discrimination, etc.

As well as the elimination of say, Public Education, Social Security, Welfare, and other important things that I believe the government should (absolutely) handle.

Fitzdraco posted:

Nineties era Coast to Coast was an entertainment event that will probably never be matched again. No guests just five straight hours of random calls. Repeat callers developed as characters, and occasionally somebody would do or fake doing something extremely goofy or dangerous. Other nights some national event would drive the show, one night before Christmas there was a power surge that covered everything from Canada to Mexico, for a while it was just people reporting in that they saw it, after awhile theories began to form as to what might have caused it. A week later everybody had moved on and forgotten the imminent alien invasion, or UN activities for new ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ASP3aKVj4

Stuff like this is just fun radio. It's fake, but it's fun radio.

Alex Jones, Infowars, and other idiots of that notoriety never come across as a fun listen. They're obnoxious, self righteous, and pretty racist.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

duck monster posted:

"I wont buy this product because it has GMO corn". Well thats one thing. "I better feed these loving crows in case they eat GMO corn!" in city where the nearest corn farm is half a loving days drive and we dont even have GMO crops in the god drat state, well thats another.

img-cukoo-clock.jpg

I find it interesting that in a crow situation, where you are dealing with literal (allegorical) crows, you chose to use a unit of distance measurement that is not "as the crow flies."

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Fitzdraco posted:

Militia talk ramped up along with Waco and after Waco it occupied most of the show time until the OKC bombing at which point the focus of the show changed fairly radically. Guests were increases, more time on moon hoax and the face on mars. Heaven's Gate happened about this time, and since Coast to Coast was the foremost proponent of the ship behing Cometh Hale-Bopp they took more heat from that.

It's unfortunate that the format disappeared, although I suppose you could argue internet forums replaced it it's not quite the same.

My favorite Coast to Coast caller that I still remember from when I was a kid was "Hi, I'm a schizophrenic. But that's not important, I think my co-workers are satan worshippers stealing my soul" and the host just being "please go on :allears:" Looking back a lot of it was probably just people calling in as a prank but at the same time probably not.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

angerbeet posted:

I find it interesting that in a crow situation, where you are dealing with literal (allegorical) crows, you chose to use a unit of distance measurement that is not "as the crow flies."

I'm not even sure what sort of measurement to use who turns a story about old people feeding birds in american into him ranting about feeding crows in australia and GMO and america.

At least I think he's in australia. Maybe he isn't. Its still confusing and weird.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
See, we are talking about crows. Jim crow. It's sympathetic magic. The Illuminati got us again.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I was listening to one of those late night conspiracy oriented radio stations a few years ago, I think it might have been Coast to Coast but I can't say for sure, and they had some kind of guest expert on to discuss demonic possession or something like that. Somebody called in and started describing bad things that were happening in their life. The host basically interrupted them and said "that's not demonic possession, you have a mental health issue and you really should get some help for it." The guest expert quickly piped in "hold on now! It could be a case of demonic possession."

It was kind of weird seeing how even within the context of a completely crazy world view there were varying gradations of insanity.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If you're driving late at night, Coast to Coast is a lot of fun in the same way that ghost stories are. Just try to forget that some people actually take it seriously.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Coast to coast taught me microelectronics are the result of the roswell crash. It made my struggles with EE as an undergrad make so much sense.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

I always liked the "Civil Liberties" side of Libertariansism. People should absolutely have freedom of speech, religion, and say, the right to smoke pot. We really shouldn't have things like the NHS, TSA, and drones.

Where I find them to be assholes is their takes on Gay Marriage, discrimination, etc.
So you like the part where Libertarians think the government shouldn't be telling people to do things, but you don't like the other part where, um, Libertarians think the government shouldn't be telling people to...do things...?

Seriously, what is this weirdo "LIBERTARIANZ :argh: " thing in this thread? Kooks might mumble things that sound like Libertarian philosophy. They also say things that sound like Communist philosophy and nobody is claiming that Communism makes people go insane.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Seriously, what is this weirdo "LIBERTARIANZ :argh: " thing in this thread? Kooks might mumble things that sound like Libertarian philosophy. They also say things that sound like Communist philosophy and nobody is claiming that Communism makes people go insane.

Certain strains of Libertarianism are easy targets and sites like Mises.org and others tend to be full of crap. It's not all, but as a former LP member I can say the movement, at least where I was, was pretty saturated with weird poo poo.

Also, when it comes to discrimination a lot of Libertarians waste time talking about "reverse racism" or how the Civil Rights bills hurt the "liberty" of business owners. Is it really surprising they get a lot of flak?

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 12, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A common theme in conspiracy theories is "THE GOVERNMENT" up to no good, this meshes very well with libertarian ideals of anti-government.

You often get communists and left types more upset about THE CORPORATIONS though. The anti-gmo groups are all about that.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Miss-Bomarc posted:

So you like the part where Libertarians think the government shouldn't be telling people to do things, but you don't like the other part where, um, Libertarians think the government shouldn't be telling people to...do things...?

The Libertarian stance against gay marriage and against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is pretty easy for anyone who supports rights to side with the government on. The government has pushed through civil rights against local established interests many times, but equal rights for homosexuals and racial minorities is a case where the majority of libertarians are for it legally, but against it ever being allowed. Libertarians are insane, they ignore evidence-based economic theory and governance to try to establish an economic and governmental system that is based on ideal, fully-informed, emotionless humans.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Libertarianism is a little different from most more common political philosophies, as I understand it, because it has this unitary axiomatic base for all its positions that you're supposed to buy into. Sometimes this leads to correct conclusions, but often really lovely ones.

Also re: Coast to Coast, I'm pretty sure people just called in to regurgitate video game plots at some point.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

American libertarianism is all born out of crypto-Jim Crow support and paleo-southern strategy bullshit. Goldwater, in his heart, may have been a dupe with good intentions (if you want to believe that) but the Taft precursor to the conservativism movement of the 60s was crush poors kill labor and the 60s movement was more or less "who are we to stop segregation?"

It's all lazy bullshit.

Grouchy Smurf
Mar 12, 2012

"Interesting Quote"
-Interesting guy

Baronjutter posted:

A common theme in conspiracy theories is "THE GOVERNMENT" up to no good, this meshes very well with libertarian ideals of anti-government.

You often get communists and left types more upset about THE CORPORATIONS though. The anti-gmo groups are all about that.

I will paraphrase a comedian:
Which goverment is "the government" that keeps everything hidden? The USA one? Fine. The UK one? Sure. The Russian? Yep.
Is the Burkina Faso government into it aswell? What about Kiribati? I knew we should trust those Suriname guys.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The government shouldn't restrict my rights or tax me but should also give my social class free stuff.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

ponzicar posted:

If you're driving late at night, Coast to Coast is a lot of fun in the same way that ghost stories are. Just try to forget that some people actually take it seriously.

I listened to the Faaip De Oiad bit when it first aired live. That was a bit unnerving when I was younger :tinfoil:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

American libertarianism is all born out of crypto-Jim Crow support and paleo-southern strategy bullshit. Goldwater, in his heart, may have been a dupe with good intentions (if you want to believe that) but the Taft precursor to the conservativism movement of the 60s was crush poors kill labor and the 60s movement was more or less "who are we to stop segregation?"

It's all lazy bullshit.

The current version of American Libertarianism is the stuff too crazy for Goldwater. It's the stuff so nuts that William F. Buckley looked at and thought we need to kick the these people the gently caress out.

Conservationism and the southern strategy are relatively tame relatively sane things in comparison to current Libertarianism. Behind the Tea Party are the children of the John Birchers and Dominionists. They are significantly more crazy than the Goldwater / Reagan mold of conservationism, which they are in the process of hollowing out and wearing like a skin.

Edit: Reagan

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 12, 2014

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Grouchy Smurf posted:

I will paraphrase a comedian:
Which goverment is "the government" that keeps everything hidden? The USA one? Fine. The UK one? Sure. The Russian? Yep.
Is the Burkina Faso government into it aswell? What about Kiribati? I knew we should trust those Suriname guys.

I was just reading Stanton Friedman's AMA on Above Top Secret and he talked about this in a post WRT various governments surpressing information.

"Oftentimes governments keep some things secret because they have their own reasons. The US didn't publicize U-2 Flights because we were violating international law. The Russians didn't publicize them because they didn't want to admit that they couldn't shoot them down. Once they shot down Gary Power's plane they made much noise.They hadn't colluded on secrecywith the U.S.

Both sides were flying aircraft near the others and tickling radar etc.after WW2 166 american crewmembers were on USAF planes that were shotdown over Korea, China and Russia after ww 2.Nothing was said to the families. We shot down Russian intruders as well see the book "By Any Means Necessary" 2001. No collusion; each had its own reasons.All national governments have a common interest in not wanting their people to want an earthling orientation. People in power want to stay in power."

StandardVC10 posted:

Also re: Coast to Coast, I'm pretty sure people just called in to regurgitate video game plots at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMATUkJMAxo

Grouchy Smurf
Mar 12, 2012

"Interesting Quote"
-Interesting guy

itsnice2bnice posted:

I was just reading Stanton Friedman's AMA on Above Top Secret and he talked about this in a post WRT various governments surpressing information.

/snip

Yes, it always perplexes me that some people believe that the world if laid with rose petals. I remember all the flak the US government got when Snowden published documents pointing to NSA eavesdropping on US nationals and especially on leaders of third countries. I mean, seriously?! It's a covered-up intelligence service. That's what they do. They are not out to catch junkies or shoplifters.

In UK we have GCHQ, which does equivalent work. They even ADVERTISE that every phone call and email in and out of the island is monitored.

I believe the reason is that people are self-centred, and are unable to comprehend that some things expand further than their everyday life.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RagnarokAngel posted:

The government shouldn't restrict my rights or tax me but should also give my social class free stuff.

I always like the version where its "everything I like should be legal, and everything I don't like should be illegal!". This is pretty much Ron Paul libertarianism. He's all for legalizing drugs and such, but at the same time he still wants gay, minority and women's rights to be limited if not eliminated.

And Libertarians have a lot of conspiracy theories. Look at Bitcoin, anything negative happens involving it, its because of the GOVERNMENT trying to take it down, because they just know that bitcoins will take over the world! MTGOX didn't shut down because it was a huge scam to bilk idiots out of money, nope, it was the big evil government!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

BrandorKP posted:

The current version of American Libertarianism is the stuff too crazy for Goldwater. It's the stuff so nuts that William F. Buckley looked at and thought we need to kick the these people the gently caress out.

Conservationism and the southern strategy are relatively tame relatively sane things in comparison to current Libertarianism. Behind the Tea Party are the children of the John Birchers and Dominionists. They are significantly more crazy than the Goldwater / Reagan mold of conservationism, which they are in the process of hollowing out and wearing like a skin.

Edit: Reagan

Buckley openly supported Jim Crow and praised Franco's Spain. Goldwater talked seriously about "rolling back" the Soviet Union. The 'southern strategy' hinged out a level of outright racism and culture war that makes the current GOP look positively tame by comparison. Reagan only looks moderate today because of how much he reset the goal posts of American politics. If you look at Reagan within the context of his times then he was every bit as extreme and unhinged as the current Republicans. You can't just judge politicians like Reagan in a vacuum: you have to think about them in relation to their times, and by that standard Reagan doesn't look at all erasonable.

This weird attempt I see people make to find some older, more reasonable Republican party that they can hold up as the standard from which the current Republicans have deviated. Its a strange instinct and it ignores just how unhinged the GOP has been.

I mean there were some moderate Republicans, like Rockefeller (the guy who Goldwater and his followers had to defeat when the conservative activists were taking over the GOP) and Eisenhower doesn't seem that bad from a domestic standpoint (the actions of people under him, like the Dulles brothers, tempers that assessment though) but trying to hold up Reagan, Goldwater or the loving southern strategy as being more reasonable than the contemporary GOP is ridiculous. In some ways they were honestly quite a bit worse.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Helsing posted:

I mean there were some moderate Republicans, like Rockefeller (the guy who Goldwater and his followers had to defeat when the conservative activists were taking over the GOP) and Eisenhower doesn't seem that bad from a domestic standpoint (the actions of people under him, like the Dulles brothers, tempers that assessment though) but trying to hold up Reagan, Goldwater or the loving southern strategy as being more reasonable than the contemporary GOP is ridiculous. In some ways they were honestly quite a bit worse.

Oh yeah Buckley is a awful person and a dick, Goldwater might have started WWIII if he'd been elected, the southern strategy is terrible, etc, etc. All that is true. I'm just saying the ideas behind the tea party are so nuts that even these people looked at them and said, this poo poo is crazy. The birchers were so crazy that conservative movement (which was itself pretty crazy) drove them out.

Somebody like Reagan is radical in the sense of he wanted the concept of what government should or can do to radically change. The Birchers and the Dominionists are more radical than that. They're rocking: our idea is the truth itself and that gives us power over you if you don't believe in it. They're rocking if we speak the words in a certain way we'll reorganize peoples minds so that they'll just naturally conclude what we want them to conclude.

If somebody like Reagan is successful the result is more limited government. And lets face it he was successful. If the Kochs or somebody like Ted Cruz are successful that's a different beast, it's not fascism but it's very much like fascism. They want to radically change all of us as human beings and that's way more threatening than just changing the nature of government. And they are trying to co-opt the conservative movement's successes in changing government for that end.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Well the Christian dominionists are certainly scary and I guess I'll grant that some of the Tea Partiers are particularly far gone by virtue of being in the second or third generation born into their particular crazy ideology, meaning they come off as a lot less connected to reality than a guy like Goldwater who at least had to be able to talk with someone who didn't share all his beliefs. The fact that the far right now exists so completely within its own intellectual eco-system had definitely robbed them of some of their ability to talk to people who don't share their beliefs without coming off as totally unhinged.

Nevertheless I think the core differences between them and the older generation of post-New Deal conservatives is easy to over emphasize. It doesn't get much more hateful than supporting Jim Crow or describing the white south as a "superior civilization" that has a "right to defend itself". As for Reagan, he stood for "limited government" if you were a middle class white person but if you were poor or black then he stood for a more intrusive government and a militarized police force invading your community.

I don't think we fundamentally disagree here, Tedd Cruise and the Koch brothers definitely have a scary vision for the future of America. I just think that if Reagan were around today he'd be supporting the same sorts of policies. The conservative 'movement' in America today (as opposed to small c conservatives) have generally been united for their conviction that the expansion of government that occurred under the New Deal needs to be rolled back, and that the states need to be given whatever tools they desire to deal with minorities or the poor.

To my mind the only really big change in the conservative landscape was the rise of neoconservative foreign policy. As far as domestic policy goes I think there's more continuity than difference between Goldwater, Reagan, George Dubya and now Paul Ryan or Rand Paul.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

twistedmentat posted:

And I'm sure there is a shitthatdidnthappen.txt Conspiracy edition story about some guy who claims to have the same job as Doctor Chaxtical says "oh yes its all organized and planned out. And then someone else joins in and claims they followed the stickers and eventually got to a chain link fence and the guards told him to leave now or he would be arrested.

Sorry 'bout the black spots, my phone camera was hosed. If anybody were to make a post like that, I'd just post those photos. Who else other than a goon would make signs like that? Checkmate, Illuminati.

e: I realize you weren't doubting me, I just wanted an excuse to post those.

Dusty Baker 2 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 13, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Helsing, I think we're mostly on the same page too. But I really do think something has changed and it's related to this "at least had to be able to talk with someone who didn't share all his beliefs". I think they've become more absolutist and dualistic. Ever see Gran Torino. That's kind of how I see the older conservatives, racist, nasty, even outright bastards but if they were pushed to the very brink some of them would eventually see the humanity in the other side. Take somebody like George Wallace. Eventually he gets to this point: "I was wrong. Those days are over, and they ought to be over."

I don't know that the new crop, the Cruz and Koch types, can ever make that type of personal change because of their absolutism combined with what I think is a dualism.

G.W. Paul Ryan and the Pauls, yeah, you're probably right they're probably more in/ not significantly different from the Reagan/Goldwater/Buckley line of thought.

But the crazies, the ones talking about lizard people, FEMA signs, calling in Coast to Coast, I think they are very often more in the Koch/Cruz line of thought. And that the structure of that line of thought has something to do with the crazy conspiracy talk.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 14, 2014

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

BrandorKP posted:

Helsing, I think we're mostly on the same page too. But I really do think something has changed and it's related to this "at least had to be able to talk with someone who didn't share all his beliefs". I think they've become more absolutist and dualistic. Ever see Gran Torino. That's kind of how I see the older conservatives, racist, nasty, even outright bastards but if there were pushed to the very brink some of them would eventually see the humanity in the other side. Take somebody like George Wallace. Eventually he gets to this point: "I was wrong. Those days are over, and they ought to be over."

I don't know that the new crop, the Cruz and Koch types, ever making that type of personal change because of their absolutism combined with what I think is a dualism.

G.W. Paul Ryan and the Pauls, yeah, you're probably right they're probably more in/ not significantly different from the Reagan/Goldwater/Buckley line of thought.

But the crazies, the ones talking about lizard people, FEMA signs, calling in Coast to Coast, I think they are very often more in the Koch/Cruz line of thought. And that the structure of that line of thought has something to do with the crazy conspiracy talk.

My favorite part is how, if these conspiracies were real...don't they think these shadow Illuminati Jews/lizards/gizzards would silence them?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Doctor Chaxtical posted:

My favorite part is how, if these conspiracies were real...don't they think these shadow Illuminati Jews/lizards/gizzards would silence them?

No because that's part of the plan, think about it.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Helsing posted:

Buckley openly supported Jim Crow and praised Franco's Spain. Goldwater talked seriously about "rolling back" the Soviet Union. The 'southern strategy' hinged out a level of outright racism and culture war that makes the current GOP look positively tame by comparison. Reagan only looks moderate today because of how much he reset the goal posts of American politics. If you look at Reagan within the context of his times then he was every bit as extreme and unhinged as the current Republicans. You can't just judge politicians like Reagan in a vacuum: you have to think about them in relation to their times, and by that standard Reagan doesn't look at all erasonable.

This weird attempt I see people make to find some older, more reasonable Republican party that they can hold up as the standard from which the current Republicans have deviated. Its a strange instinct and it ignores just how unhinged the GOP has been.

"I had read repeatedly that I was the most conservative President since Herbert Hoover. My feeling was, if that’s true, drat it, the extreme right wing ought to be satisfied. But the truth is they never are unless they lock you in to a little ideological circle that is a miniscule number of voters in the American public. Regardless of the political consequences, I knew that I had to call them as I saw them from the nation’s point of view and at the same time from my own political experience. The facts of life are that satisfying the extreme right dooms any Republican in a Presidential election."- Gerald Ford

Reagan ruined everything.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Doctor Chaxtical posted:

Of course they would, but thanks to my superior intellect and this gluten-free tinfoil hat, I am able to evade them and be one step ahead of them. You want proof?

I am still alive :smuggo:

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

THS posted:

No because that's part of the plan, think about it.

Whoa, you're right. Makes you think, right?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Nckdictator posted:

"I had read repeatedly that I was the most conservative President since Herbert Hoover. My feeling was, if that’s true, drat it, the extreme right wing ought to be satisfied. But the truth is they never are unless they lock you in to a little ideological circle that is a miniscule number of voters in the American public. Regardless of the political consequences, I knew that I had to call them as I saw them from the nation’s point of view and at the same time from my own political experience. The facts of life are that satisfying the extreme right dooms any Republican in a Presidential election."- Gerald Ford

Reagan ruined everything.

Goldwater said much the same. He was particularly horrified by the influence of the religious right.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Doctor Chaxtical posted:

Sorry 'bout the black spots, my phone camera was hosed. If anybody were to make a post like that, I'd just post those photos. Who else other than a goon would make signs like that? Checkmate, Illuminati.

e: I realize you weren't doubting me, I just wanted an excuse to post those.

Well, it clearly shows that it is done by a highly organized secretive organization! Not the average kind of workshop you'd find anywhere.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Goldwater said much the same. He was particularly horrified by the influence of the religious right.

The Religious right really accepts conspiracies at face value. I marathoned True Detective Tuesday and it brings in the whole idea of Satanic conspiracies into it. Obviously it does deeper than that in the show, BUT it alluded to that the idea that there are active Satanic organizations and cults that are behind all anti-christian (read anything that doesn't specifically mention Jesus) activity. There was obviously the McMartin Preschool satantic ritual abuse scandal, there was also doesn't of murders committed that were said to be "satanic" because of some minor connection like a pentagram beind spray painted nearby, or my favorite a 15 year old was found dead while wearing a Slayer shirt, and while the autopsy showed he had actually died from alcohol poisoning, no, it was Satanism that killed him because of the shirt said Christian Investigators.

It doesn't come to play nationally, but in smaller politics like in rural towns and counties it was a huge influence throughout the late 70s and 80s.

It lives online, I mean who didn't see the article about Frozen being Satanic lesbianism?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Then there is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doeD1pu8XT4

I never saw Alex Jones go full Baptist until this video.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BrandorKP posted:

If somebody like Reagan is successful the result is more limited government. And lets face it he was successful. If the Kochs or somebody like Ted Cruz are successful that's a different beast, it's not fascism but it's very much like fascism. They want to radically change all of us as human beings and that's way more threatening than just changing the nature of government. And they are trying to co-opt the conservative movement's successes in changing government for that end.

If someone like Ted Cruz is successful we'd have a corporate theocracy that would absolutely be marching towards fascism. Put Santorum in the white house with a GOP-controlled congress and conservative majority SCOTUS and you'll see sodomy illegal on a federal level and Russia-equivalent anti-gay laws.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

If someone like Ted Cruz is successful we'd have a corporate theocracy that would absolutely be marching towards fascism. Put Santorum in the white house with a GOP-controlled congress and conservative majority SCOTUS and you'll see sodomy illegal on a federal level and Russia-equivalent anti-gay laws.

There's some legitimately terrifying people on the fringes of the right.

The worst part is that they all seem to be running together. Gun Nuts, Evangelicals, Ayn Rand brand nutjobs? All merging together.

I was driving home back from Michigan, and flipping through the radio dial. I happened to land on some "Christian" station that featured a show called "Cross Talk", that was featuring a Guns Right advocate.

The guy was going on about how Obama was going to establish a "Dictatorship", was a "Socialist", and that with these new executive orders they were going to be close to "Martial Law".

They were also offended at a caller that suggested that the two hosts were off base with one of their comments, that the Mentally Ill shouldn't be allowed to own weapons.

They got offended and said that they were "DENYING RIGHTS" to individuals by doing as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Well the Christian Reconstructionists (of which the Dominionists are a subset) seem to have bought into the "freedom to" of the libertarians as God's law. And the gun nuts have managed to make their personal/individual right to bear arms (and to use them on others) the highest category or expression of libertarian freedom. I wish I were speculating there. They had the gun raffle church pastor on NPR recently. And that's what they guy said almost word for word, the right to bear arms as the highest expression of freedom from God.

So when they use that "denying rights" language in a "Cross talk" context, they're outright asserting that the highest right given to them by God is being taken away from them by an evil power ("Dictatorship" and "Socialist") opposed to God and it's implied (and they probably don't realize this) that this is like the crucifixion of Jesus. Which is the opposite of reality. And then they interpret all this only in a literal way.

Unrelated, has anyone else noticed that the right wing Christian talk radio stations like to bookend NPR stations? Is there a reason for that (like a certain section of the frequencies being better for talk or cheaper, etc)?

• Locked thread