Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
I am considering getting Paragard, but I've been reading up on the side effects and have scared myself from all the horror stories (terrible and/or constant periods, weight gain, acne, decreased fertility after removal). I know these are not the usual experiences, so I wanted to hear from some ladies that have had good things to say? Does anyone actually like Paragard? Also, does any have experience with cervical caps?

I've been on Depo and several different kinds of pills and have discovered that hormones basically kill my sex drive after a few months-years on them. I'm hesitant to try Mirena because it's difficult to get removed if the hormones in it turn me back into a nun. My partners are not super thrilled with the diaphragm, they say they can feel it and it hurts, and it also increases my chances of getting a UTI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

compshateme85 posted:

I'm hesitant to try Mirena because it's difficult to get removed if the hormones in it turn me back into a nun.

You might be thinking about a different one, Mirenas are incredibly easy to remove- one quick yank and it's out. In fact, there've been people who've pulled it out accidentally via tampons getting caught on the string or not breaking the seal on their menstrual cup. I'm a big fan of my Mirena, for what it's worth, and if you have access to Skyla it's a lower-hormone version of Mirena that lasts 3 years instead of 5.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

compshateme85 posted:

I am considering getting Paragard, but I've been reading up on the side effects and have scared myself from all the horror stories (terrible and/or constant periods, weight gain, acne, decreased fertility after removal). I know these are not the usual experiences, so I wanted to hear from some ladies that have had good things to say? Does anyone actually like Paragard? Also, does any have experience with cervical caps?

Some of the side effects listed there as side effects of Paragard are also side effects of going off hormonal birth control. If you have been off of hormones for long enough for your body to stabilize you hormone levels, you probably have a good idea what it'll be like on Paragard. If you're going straight from hormones to Paragard, you might not be able to tell what the Paragard is causing and what is the result of coming off of hormones.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I've heard a lot of good things about Mirena and more complications with Paragard. And it's really easy to remove, too, so don't let that deter you. Honestly I'd try Mirena first. Paragard seems to have a high rate of giving women heavier periods, whereas one of the (pretty good honestly) common side effects of Mirena is periods not happening anymore after a while of using it. Well, until it's removed that is.

Also, Mirena doesn't have the same risks as the pill does even though they both work by hormones. I'm honestly considering asking about getting an IUD instead of taking the pill because I'm scared to death of blood clots.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

Suzuki Method posted:

I've heard a lot of good things about Mirena and more complications with Paragard. And it's really easy to remove, too, so don't let that deter you. Honestly I'd try Mirena first. Paragard seems to have a high rate of giving women heavier periods, whereas one of the (pretty good honestly) common side effects of Mirena is periods not happening anymore after a while of using it. Well, until it's removed that is.

Also, Mirena doesn't have the same risks as the pill does even though they both work by hormones. I'm honestly considering asking about getting an IUD instead of taking the pill because I'm scared to death of blood clots.

That's one thing I talked about with my dr. today, the whole over 35 blood clot issue. (I am almost 40.) He said that nuvaring and mirena are less risk of that kind of complication because the hormones bypass the liver, whereas when you take them orally or with the Depo shot, it goes through your liver and causes more problems. So that's interesting.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

appleskates posted:

because I am SO done having kids, but he wouldn't consider it at all. :(

appleskates posted:

(I am almost 40.)

Get a second opinion. There is no reason this guy should be telling you no considering those two factors.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

compshateme85 posted:

I've been on Depo and several different kinds of pills and have discovered that hormones basically kill my sex drive after a few months-years on them. I'm hesitant to try Mirena because it's difficult to get removed if the hormones in it turn me back into a nun. My partners are not super thrilled with the diaphragm, they say they can feel it and it hurts, and it also increases my chances of getting a UTI.

I have a Paragard and I love it!

My periods did get heavier for a while, but after a few months they calmed down and went back to normal/not-on-the-pill levels. I've never had a constant period or spotting, it's always been my usual cycle. I haven't gained any weight or gotten any more acne than I normally would have without the hormones from the pill. And I've never heard of any legitimate connection between Paragard and decreased fertility. Basically my experience with Paragard has been like "birth control that doesn't feel like birth control." I feel like my normal regular self, but I don't get pregnant. :)

Also, you really shouldn't go by most of what you read online. The stories out there are heavily skewed towards the negative because most people only post stuff when they have complaints, not when things are going fine. Like GoodBee mentioned, a lot of it can be attributed to going off the pill. And I think a lot of it too is some people just blaming every vague symptom they have on their IUD whether or not there's any connection (for example, there's nothing in Paragard that could possibly cause something like acne).

Suzuki Method posted:

As I understand it periods stopping with Mirena is not necessarily as common as some think (official site says only 2 out of 10 women). Most will get lighter, though possibly more irregular bleeding/spotting. And a small minority will actually get heavier periods.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I feel like a broken record but Paragard has been amazing for me. My periods actually calmed down after about 6 months and have settled into being incredibly light. I used to go through a super tampon every few hours but now I just have to empty my cup twice a day and it isn't even full. Just a cleanliness thing.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

appleskates posted:

That's one thing I talked about with my dr. today, the whole over 35 blood clot issue. (I am almost 40.) He said that nuvaring and mirena are less risk of that kind of complication because the hormones bypass the liver, whereas when you take them orally or with the Depo shot, it goes through your liver and causes more problems. So that's interesting.

I'm not too sure if your doctor is up on BC methods, because nuva ring definitely has blood clot risks. My sister had complications from a blood clot while on it. Their website says you have increased risk while on it! It says the risks may be greater due to the type of progestin it uses.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

bobula posted:

I'm not too sure if your doctor is up on BC methods, because nuva ring definitely has blood clot risks. My sister had complications from a blood clot while on it. Their website says you have increased risk while on it! It says the risks may be greater due to the type of progestin it uses.

Yeah I am little concerned now. I like him a lot; he is very friendly, and gentle with pelvics, but this is worrying. Also I just read that NuvaRing can cause weight gain, the reason I want off BC. Do you guys think maybe planned parenthood could recommend someone who is not anti-sterilization? I'm not sure where to go at this point. Also my copays are $55 each visit so I'm trying to minimize going back. Sigh. It's hard getting good lady-care in the south.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
Thank you for sharing your experiences, it's definitely back at the top of my list. I've been off hormonal birth control for about 6 months so there wouldn't be the transition from hormones -> none. How difficult is it to get taken out, if I decide I don't like it?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tigntink posted:

I feel like a broken record but Paragard has been amazing for me. My periods actually calmed down after about 6 months and have settled into being incredibly light. I used to go through a super tampon every few hours but now I just have to empty my cup twice a day and it isn't even full. Just a cleanliness thing.

Same here! Now (a little over a year out) I have 1-2 days that are like regular period-level bleeding and then the rest is more like heavy spotting than anything.

appleskates posted:

Yeah I am little concerned now. I like him a lot; he is very friendly, and gentle with pelvics, but this is worrying. Also I just read that NuvaRing can cause weight gain, the reason I want off BC. Do you guys think maybe planned parenthood could recommend someone who is not anti-sterilization? I'm not sure where to go at this point. Also my copays are $55 each visit so I'm trying to minimize going back. Sigh. It's hard getting good lady-care in the south.

Pretty much every single form of hormonal birth control gets blamed for causing weight gain by somebody out there, so NuvaRing probably isn't any more or less likely to do so than any other.

As for sterilization, I'm sure Planned Parenthood could point you in the right direction. It varies clinic to clinic, but I'm pretty sure a lot of PP's offer sterilization services as an option. Not right there in the clinic of course, but a lot of them partner with a doctor to offer procedures like that. If you're worried about the copay, just call the clinic first and ask if that's something they can help with. You could also try searching around online - if there's a doctor in your area that's good for sterilizations it's possible word-of-mouth has gotten around.

compshateme85 posted:

Thank you for sharing your experiences, it's definitely back at the top of my list. I've been off hormonal birth control for about 6 months so there wouldn't be the transition from hormones -> none. How difficult is it to get taken out, if I decide I don't like it?

I've never done it, but I've heard it's actually really easy to get an IUD taken out unless there's some unforeseen complication. Basically just grab the strings, cough and pull. :v:

I will also add that with Paragard (and IUDs in general really), you have to be patient and give it some time to settle. Your periods will be pretty heavy/crampy at first, but if you give it a few months (6 seems to be the magic number for most) it will get better.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 11, 2014

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

appleskates posted:

It's hard getting good lady-care in the south.

I lived in south Alabama for 3 years. Preach, girl. It's like they totally miss the point. I had one NP just fat shame me my entire appointment when I was there for a pap and pills.

My suggestion is to look for a younger, female gyno. From my experience with them, they are much more on the ball about BC available including LARCs. They also tend to be a little more of the belief that, yes, we can be trusted to make our own repro decisions.

edit: I have had 3 lady friends who recently have had their Mirenas removed and they said it was 3 million times easier than the insertion.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I grew up in Memphis TN so I understand the pain of getting good care. I had massive bleeding and pain problems when I was 14 and our insurance wouldn't cover my birth control to try to slow it down AND my stupid country club idiot doctor gave me a bleeding ulcer with naproxen sodium. I never had a pelvic exam until I moved out to Seattle and went to a real planned parenthood here.

Try looking at midwife practices for good IUD insertions. My doctor was a midwife as well and was a huge proponent of IUDs. I got mine inserted at 22, no kids, normal anatomy. I walked in with paragard in mind and she did it same day after a quick pregnancy test + STD panel.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Heyyyy uh... I've been on Mirena for a little over two years, and suddenly I'm getting a totally normal period. Before now, I had nothing. Should I be concerned? o_O

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I loving hate Depo. It was supposed to help stop my period. Instead, it gave a perma period that's lasted over a year now. BC pills are not an option for me since I'm at high risk for blood clots.

I'll ask a doctor about IUDs because my situation is odder than most posters. My uterus is weird. :(

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Violet_Sky posted:

I loving hate Depo. It was supposed to help stop my period. Instead, it gave a perma period that's lasted over a year now. BC pills are not an option for me since I'm at high risk for blood clots.

I'll ask a doctor about IUDs because my situation is odder than most posters. My uterus is weird. :(

There are estrogen-free pills (sometimes called "mini-pills") available that could be an option for you, along with Implanon and pretty much any IUDs.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
gently caress yes! Skyla in! I jumped when he first went poking around down there, but he startled me. After that it wasn't terrible. Apparently they're used to a lot of squirming, because the lady assisting said I was the first one (who hadn't had a kid before) who didn't complain the whole time. Really people? I've been hurt worse slamming my hand in a door. And I've had kidney stones. It didn't even touch that kind of pain. But it's been in for a whole hour now and I feel completely fine, nothing feels different at all. If it keeps this up it will be amazing and I'll recommend it to everyone who even remotely asks. Maybe some who don't too.

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

uberwekkness posted:

Heyyyy uh... I've been on Mirena for a little over two years, and suddenly I'm getting a totally normal period. Before now, I had nothing. Should I be concerned? o_O

I started getting "normal" periods in fall 2013, two years after getting it. It's disappointing, but I wouldn't worry. If you're like me, you'll still be skipping some months, if that's of any consolation.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Explosions! posted:

gently caress yes! Skyla in! I jumped when he first went poking around down there, but he startled me. After that it wasn't terrible. Apparently they're used to a lot of squirming, because the lady assisting said I was the first one (who hadn't had a kid before) who didn't complain the whole time. Really people? I've been hurt worse slamming my hand in a door. And I've had kidney stones. It didn't even touch that kind of pain. But it's been in for a whole hour now and I feel completely fine, nothing feels different at all. If it keeps this up it will be amazing and I'll recommend it to everyone who even remotely asks. Maybe some who don't too.

Eh everyone is different. My paragard placement just felt like a worse than average cramp for about 20 seconds but I really don't fault anyone who has a vasovagal reaction or legit worse pain they've ever had.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Tigntink posted:

Eh everyone is different. My paragard placement just felt like a worse than average cramp for about 20 seconds but I really don't fault anyone who has a vasovagal reaction or legit worse pain they've ever had.

Hell, it's possible to think the insertion is fine and still have a vasovagal reaction. Happened to me with my paragard, but I was still ok to walk home once I recovered from that and too stubborn not to.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Delayed reactions are the WORST. You think everything's okay and then your body's like "haha just kidding gently caress you."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Explosions! posted:

Everyone's experience is a little different. For me personally it was basically just two really strong cramps that I had to breathe through, but I'm sure for some it's worse. I think it might also be different depending on life experience. You've had kidney stones, I've previously had a medical condition and a LOT of procedures that caused plenty of abdominal pain. So maybe if you've been relatively pain-free most of your life it's going to feel a whole lot worse to you and be harder to deal with.

But anyway congratulations on the set it and forget it birth control! :v: I always recommend IUDs and alternative methods whenever the subject comes up because it's still like nobody I run into has ever heard of anything other than the pill. Then they often just decide to have risky sex because "Welp, the pill and condoms both suck it's hopeless."

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm hoping to get a Mirena put in, but first the doctor wants to examine my uterus to if it CAN go in. (Stupid heart shaped uterus...) So I'll be praying that my uterus isn't too bad.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Violet_Sky posted:

I'm hoping to get a Mirena put in, but first the doctor wants to examine my uterus to if it CAN go in. (Stupid heart shaped uterus...) So I'll be praying that my uterus isn't too bad.

If not, like I mentioned before there's still always the option of something like Implanon/Nexplanon.

Erysipelothrix
May 5, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

You can also ask your doctor about Skyla (if it is available in your area). My uterus is too small for Mirena or Paragard so I had a Skyla placed in December. My old doctor didn't do a great job of measuring my uterus and inserted a Paragard which I expelled within a month of placement. My new doctor measured and inserted the Skyla with the help of an ultrasound which was a complete breeze compared to the Paragard insertion. I knew an IUD was the right choice for me and I was devastated when I expelled the Paragard. (It would still be my number one choice since it is hormone free.) But I have to say, I'm loving the Skyla IUD! It's worth its weight in gold just for the convenience alone.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Erysipelothrix posted:

It's worth its weight in gold just for the convenience alone.

It's really light though so it would be worth like a dollar

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
So just realized my gyn didn't really specifically say if the Skyla starts being effective immediately. He just told me not to have sex for a couple days. I guess I'll just use a back-up until I can ask?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Explosions! posted:

So just realized my gyn didn't really specifically say if the Skyla starts being effective immediately. He just told me not to have sex for a couple days. I guess I'll just use a back-up until I can ask?

With hormonal methods (including the hormonal IUDs) I've always been told 7 days until it's effective is the rule of thumb. I think if you get it during your period it's considered to be effective immediately, but don't risk it on my word alone.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Isn't one of the birth-controlling aspects of IUDs to make the uterus non-implantation friendly?

I know Paraguard can be used as "emergency contraception" whereas the others can't. But why? Is it the copper in the paraguard that makes it effective immediately?

Explosions! I would call the doc tomo to get a definite answer, but they may have told you to wait a couple of days just to give your business a rest.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.
Paragard works as EC because of the effect it has on sperm before fertilization and implantation afterwards. Hormonal IUDs work primarily by thickening cervical mucus and making it harder for fertilization to occur and don't really have as a big of an effect on implantation. I typically will tell patients to use backup for 7 days just to be on the safe side.

Millard Fillmore
Jan 31, 2009

Foreign policy...in drag?
Things just got much more interesting in this administration.
Hi guys~

I've been on the patch for three weeks now, and today is the day I remove it to have my period, which I have already removed.
My thing is, last night me and the boy were fooling around and his penis definitely went in a few times but didn't stay for very long (I think he hit my cervix with it - OW!) and he didn't come in me, but I'm still nervous, should I go get a Plan B? :ohdear: Thanks guys.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you're using the patch as directed, you're protected the whole time, not just while the patch is on you. Is that what you're afraid of?

(This is also true of the pill, ring, whatever, fyi. It's not a 75% protection plan.)

Millard Fillmore
Jan 31, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

If you're using the patch as directed, you're protected the whole time, not just while the patch is on you. Is that what you're afraid of?

(This is also true of the pill, ring, whatever, fyi. It's not a 75% protection plan.)

Yeah, I guess that's what I'm afraid of. I'm really new to all this, this is only the end of my first month on the patch, I've never used anything else before.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Millard Fillmore posted:

Yeah, I guess that's what I'm afraid of. I'm really new to all this, this is only the end of my first month on the patch, I've never used anything else before.
You haven't done anything wrong, you're using it as directed. Just make absolutely sure to put the next one on when you're supposed to and you'll be fine :)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Millard Fillmore posted:

Well if it makes you feel better I used the pill for years (almost 4 I think), definitely had sex on or around the placebo pill week and never got pregnant. It protects you the whole month. Just make sure to put the next patch on at the right time. :)

Millard Fillmore
Jan 31, 2009

vaguely posted:

You haven't done anything wrong, you're using it as directed. Just make absolutely sure to put the next one on when you're supposed to and you'll be fine :)

Kimmalah posted:

Well if it makes you feel better I used the pill for years (almost 4 I think), definitely had sex on or around the placebo pill week and never got pregnant. It protects you the whole month. Just make sure to put the next patch on at the right time. :)

Thanks so much!! :) :)

edit- I double quoted, I'm on the mobile app

Millard Fillmore fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 16, 2014

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm really glad you asked, but next time you see your doctor, please ask them to explain the whole thing until you really understand it. If you're doing something like this to your body, it's a pretty big step, so you should get at least the basics of how it works.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm really glad you asked, but next time you see your doctor, please ask them to explain the whole thing until you really understand it. If you're doing something like this to your body, it's a pretty big step, so you should get at least the basics of how it works.

Definitely good advice. I know at least one lady who told me that in retrospect, she got pregnant on the pill because she really didn't understand it and therefore didn't take it properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I have to get my Implanon changed next month. Do they put the new one in a different arm? How bad is getting it taken out?

• Locked thread