Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Yukari can be Crowley, she's already got sinister plans for the outside world. So sinister, in fact, that the pages turned black. Plus there's the obvious connection with Maribel.

Just make their Castiel some new youkai, Japan has no shortage of nice youkai to choose from I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I'm doing A Thing, I suppose. Some touhou remixing because I haven't done any of that in any real capacity, and I figured Pristine Beat was a good place to start because it's loving great.

Nothing flashy at the moment, but it's still a draft, and I'm messing around anyway.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I'm doing A Thing, I suppose. Some touhou remixing because I haven't done any of that in any real capacity, and I figured Pristine Beat was a good place to start because it's loving great.

Nothing flashy at the moment, but it's still a draft, and I'm messing around anyway.

A good start, although a bit rough around the edges. I hate to criticize it in its current state, but I think the transitions between the softer, jazzy reinterpretation and the more intense original feeling of the song don't work very well. I'm... pretty ignorant on musical theory though.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Clarste posted:

A good start, although a bit rough around the edges. I hate to criticize it in its current state, but I think the transitions between the softer, jazzy reinterpretation and the more intense original feeling of the song don't work very well. I'm... pretty ignorant on musical theory though.

Nah, that's what I posted it for, it's fine. And I get what you mean. I need to tone down the sax, make it a bit softer, so it blends in better with the piano and bass. The attack on the sax is too sharp, it's like feathering an image.

Tweaked it a bit, I'll keep plugging away at it, see if it works at all or not.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 12, 2014

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'd be up for a 4kidz version of Touhou, but only if the cartoon is then sold to the Cartoon Network who then release a parody version of that on Adult Swim.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Nah, that's what I posted it for, it's fine. And I get what you mean. I need to tone down the sax, make it a bit softer, so it blends in better with the piano and bass. The attack on the sax is too sharp, it's like feathering an image.

Tweaked it a bit, I'll keep plugging away at it, see if it works at all or not.
Around 0:13 when the piano transitions to its second melody, I could've used a lot more swing in the rhythm. It sounds like you've just got a bunch of | 4 4 4 4 | when something like | 4. (triplet) | seems like it would work better.

Also I would quiet the sax even more from 0:26-0:39 with a big pop at 0:40, but that might be more bigband than you're going for.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SirPhoebos posted:

I'd be up for a 4kidz version of Touhou, but only if the cartoon is then sold to the Cartoon Network who then release a parody version of that on Adult Swim.

No you see, it has to be an existing show for them to butcher terribly, hilariously and irrevocably. Like One Piece.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

This is a pretty accurate drawing guide:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

SirPhoebos posted:

This is a pretty accurate drawing guide:

The best part of this image is that it predates Subterranean Animism.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Hedera Helix posted:

The best part of this image is that it predates Subterranean Animism.

Zun isn't good at drawing drafts of Satori.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
ZUN teaches cosplay.

http://www.acparadise.com/acp/display.php?c=61612

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Missed the opportunity to wear some kind of stuffed leggings to make her legs just flesh-colored tubes

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the word loli ruined the English language

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

a cartoon duck posted:

I don't care, green apple lollipops are still the best. :colbert:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Some people say it's folly, but I'd rather have the lolly

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DrSunshine posted:

I don't care, green appleblue raspberry lollipops are still the best. :colbert:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

Everywhere I look I see the otakus talking about moe tsundere loli zettai ryoiki and I don't understand what they're saying and it frightens and confuses me.

All I know is that Nabokov must be turning in his grave.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't care, green apple blue raspberry lollipops are still the best. :colbert:

Gasp! You sicko! Get out of this thread, you monster.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FractalSandwich posted:

Everywhere I look I see the otakus talking about moe tsundere loli zettai ryoiki and I don't understand what they're saying and it frightens and confuses me.

Pretty much all fanboy Japanese can be translated to "I want to stick my dick inside a little girl". No, I take that back. Literally all of it.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

KataraniSword posted:

Pretty much all fanboy Japanese can be translated to "I want to stick my dick inside a little girl". No, I take that back. Literally all of it.

The sakura* trees are beautiful in Glorious Nippon this time of year.

Translator's Note: sakura means little girl

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

FractalSandwich posted:

All I know is that Nabokov must be turning in his grave.

I mostly feel sorry for actual people named Lolita. I guess they could always go by Lola or Dolores, but it's impressive how ruined that name is.

Are there any anime/manga characters named Lolita(preferably not little girls)? That would do a good job with breaking otaku brains.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Touhou Minecraft Mod :allears:

I'ld be tempted for Master Spark, otherwise everything else I have better versions of in Feed the Beast. :shobon:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A Meat posted:

I mostly feel sorry for actual people named Lolita. I guess they could always go by Lola or Dolores, but it's impressive how ruined that name is.

Are there any anime/manga characters named Lolita(preferably not little girls)? That would do a good job with breaking otaku brains.

None than I'm aware of. But Japan isn't known by its knowledge of latino names, one series have a character named Nadie (nobody) and no one bats an eye.

I'm always get a kick of 'waifu' it just sound so corny and childish than I found it endearing.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Has this gimmick been tried with a different type of instrument?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Raenir Salazar posted:

Touhou Minecraft Mod :allears:

I'ld be tempted for Master Spark, otherwise everything else I have better versions of in Feed the Beast. :shobon:

I laughed at hearing "Towhow".

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Kheldragar posted:

Has this gimmick been tried with a different type of instrument?
How many do you want? They all sound the same: [1] [2] [3]

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

How many do you want? They all sound the same: [1] [2] [3]

They're all good and you're good at finding music.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Kheldragar posted:

They're all good and you're good at finding music.
I got into Touhou for the music around 2006 oh god has it really been eight years and have never actually beaten any of the games :v:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Anyone can beat the games on easy, get on that poo poo.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Anyone can beat the games on easy, get on that poo poo.

I have literally no clue how people can find easy to be challenging. :iiam: Slow mode PCB all day because I'm still a scrub.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

No lie, I had to use up every star and two restarts in order to beat IN on easy, the one time I ever managed to beat a Touhou game!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

DrSunshine posted:

No lie, I had to use up every star and two restarts in order to beat IN on easy, the one time I ever managed to beat a Touhou game!

I was able to Icc IN on easy, but that was because I had the cleared version that let me practice all the stages. And I only managed with the Boundary Team (Reimu always kicked my rear end, and Netherworld is just too weird for me).

EDIT: DrSunshine, are you still drawing? I'd like to make a request: Reimu introducing Sanae to Genji, but Sanae is visibly dissapointed because when she heard 'flying turtle' she automatically assumed it was Gamera.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 19, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I 1CC'd IN on normal a while back and it wasn't that hard at all to me. I think I also beat Phantasmagoria of Dim Dream a long time ago when I first came across the PC-98 games.

ZUN needs to do another one of the Twinkle Star Sprites type games, PoFV and Dim Dream were loving awesome and doing a third one with netplay would be amazing.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 19, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

I was able to Icc IN on easy, but that was because I had the cleared version that let me practice all the stages. And I only managed with the Boundary Team (Reimu always kicked my rear end, and Netherworld is just too weird for me).

EDIT: DrSunshine, are you still drawing? I'd like to make a request: Reimu introducing Sanae to Genji, but Sanae is visibly dissapointed because when she heard 'flying turtle' she automatically assumed it was Gamera.

Ahhhh, I'm afraid I'm too busy to do much drawing nowadays, and Touhou doesn't really inspire me the way it used to anymore. Sorry. :(

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Zeether posted:

I 1CC'd IN on normal a while back and it wasn't that hard at all to me. I think I also beat Phantasmagoria of Dim Dream a long time ago when I first came across the PC-98 games.

ZUN needs to do another one of the Twinkle Star Sprites type games, PoFV and Dim Dream were loving awesome and doing a third one with netplay would be amazing.

PoFV had netplay, it just kind of sucked.

Also high five fellow Phantasmagoria lover.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
I'm not an avid gamer so it took me some time and effort to 1cc stuff, even on easy (just got through SA with ReimuA). I've only 1cc'd three of the games on normal.

Some of the endings are pretty hilarious.

Speaking of the endings, is there a way to see the ones I cleared in-game or do I have to actually beat the games again?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Easy isn't really balanced evenly across games. IN and TD Easy are trivial, while PCB and SA Easy aren't really that much below Normal.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Speaking of easy mode, I was proud to beat the Mountain of Faith (easy) spell card with needle Reimu recently. I'm not very good at these games either, but I wanted to do that one in particular since I'd already cleared the easier Normal version.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment

SirSlarty posted:

Speaking of the endings, is there a way to see the ones I cleared in-game or do I have to actually beat the games again?

Psst... if you want to read an ending again, there's always the Touhou Endings Wiki.

The only main Touhou game I've never beaten on any difficulty is Mountain of Faith. For two reasons: Kanako's final spellcard is a nightmare for me even on Easy mode, and that annoying continue system discourages me from playing the game for very long.

I can 1cc a handful of games on Normal and Easy but I'll never ever beat an Extra stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Have some cross posting from the Fighting Game Thread. Because U.N. Owen isn't popular enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qcjCnkbROY