Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

precision posted:

I did like 4 hours of sidequesting before I even completed the first major story quest, I think I'm seeing where the complaints about the game being "too easy" are coming from because I literally don't even remember to use items ever.

I don't really mind, especially since the timing on most of the attacks and defending is way harder than Mario RPG games.

Yeah, this game is pretty easy if you don't gently caress up the timing. The glitches are a bigger issue than the difficulty.

EDIT:

Goddammit. This Canada glitch means that I'm actually legit stuck. I don't have any earlier saves. I literally have no choice but to start a whole new game over? God DAMMIT.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

It's a minor one thing and might be too much issue but It would be really nice if the final Kenny fight wouldn't end until you trigger all the friend-scenes. Even if it just happens in such a way that it triggers each time you get Kenny to 0 or whatever. It's really disappointing to only get to see Kyle and Jimmy's scenes or whatever and it'd fit the epic-parody if it was slightly scripted. That might be a bit much to add in a patch though.

Heh, when I beat Kenny, I did it so fast that I didn't see ANY of those buddy scenes. I guess that's what happens when you play a thief and are overpowered to the point of completely broken. Then I was watching a stream of the game over the weekend and this guy got all of them. I was like :aaa: the whole time, because I didn't know they even existed.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fenrir posted:

Heh, when I beat Kenny, I did it so fast that I didn't see ANY of those buddy scenes. I guess that's what happens when you play a thief and are overpowered to the point of completely broken. Then I was watching a stream of the game over the weekend and this guy got all of them. I was like :aaa: the whole time, because I didn't know they even existed.

How did you manage that? I defeated the a couple times final boss with relative ease and even then on average I get two of those QTEs.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'd rather have a game be too easy rather than be too balls-crushingly hard. I play games for fun and not prove my worthiness. Besides, I've already put up with that bullshit back in the NES days.

Don't get me wrong I'd rather not have a game be a cakewalk, but dying over and over again on a section is unfun. This game's difficulty is just right. You have to pay attention at least or the enemies will wreck you poo poo, at least until you get your character built to steamroll over most fights. The only fight I really had trouble with was with Al Gore, but that fight is an exercise in abusing speed potions and debuffs really.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 11, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The main problem with the game being too easy is more that there are jokes in a lot of the boss battles you can miss by beating them too fast. You can't pass either which means you can only stretch it out by attacking and just not hitting too hard

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Goddammit. This Canada glitch means that I'm actually legit stuck. I don't have any earlier saves. I literally have no choice but to start a whole new game over? God DAMMIT.

What's the Canada Glitch and how do I avoid it? :ohdear:

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I'm talking to the team about this one, I'll see if there's a workaround. This doesn't sound like the Buddy glitch but just to be sure, try changing your buddy. There's another bug that won't let you progress if you keep the same buddy for long periods of time, but it usually presents with an endless loading screen so I don't think this is it. Regardless, shouldn't hurt to at least try.

edit: for you, precision, a transcript of the related comments:

Affected user:
Yo, how do I proceed in Canada? I was told to talk to the Earl of Winnipeg but all anyone talks about is stupid Dire Bears?

Respondant:
There are Dire Bears in the top right of the town which you need to kill.

Affected user:
The guard won't let me through.

Respondant:
Speak to the earl, he should give you a mission to kill the dire bears.

Affected user:
He does not. He says he wants pelts to make robes, but no quest. My most recent quest is still telling me to show him the documents.

Two days later, same Affected user:

And to you, BottledBodhisvata, if you have any additional info, let me know.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ImpAtom posted:

It's a minor one thing and might be too much issue but It would be really nice if the final Kenny fight wouldn't end until you trigger all the friend-scenes. Even if it just happens in such a way that it triggers each time you get Kenny to 0 or whatever. It's really disappointing to only get to see Kyle and Jimmy's scenes or whatever and it'd fit the epic-parody if it was slightly scripted. That might be a bit much to add in a patch though.
I want to second this very strongly.

I really thought that the entire reason Kenny kept getting back up was to facilitate that -- one companion scene per Kenny rebirth. When he dropped for good after only getting Butters, Kyle, and Jimmy to fire I was very disappointed.

Also, I know this one probably won't happen, but... I get the joke on the Jew class gear, I do. Bonuses for suffering, haha, I laughed. The first time. The thing is, being damaged and debuffed is a fail state -- I've been stacking armor and taking the Let It Slide perk and eating potions and blocking the whole game just to avoid it. Gear that rewards me for being critically injured with four debuffs on me isn't going to make me try and play that way, it's going to make me go "oh goddammit I ranked up and they slapped a whole bunch of new Jew gear on me, it's all useless, gotta hit my inventory and take it all off ASAP". "Oh no, now I'm weaker" is probably not the intended result for getting a new set of level-appropriate gear?

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

ImpAtom posted:

I just finished this game, but Friend scenes? I'm not sure if I even had one of them. What happens?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Stalins Moustache posted:

I just finished this game, but Friend scenes? I'm not sure if I even had one of them. What happens?

At some point, Kenny will bust out a special attack that corresponds to your current buddy, and you'll get a QTE to block it. If you block it, your buddy has to sit out the rest of the fight and another of your buddies steps forward. There are enough special attacks like that to get all your buddies sitting out, I think.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Starhawk64 posted:

I'd rather have a game be too easy rather than be too balls-crushingly hard. I play games for fun and not prove my worthiness. Besides, I've already put up with that bullshit back in the NES days.

Don't get me wrong I'd rather not have a game be a cakewalk, but dying over and over again on a section is unfun. This game's difficulty is just right. You have to pay attention at least or the enemies will wreck you poo poo, at least until you get your character built to steamroll over most fights. The only fight I really had trouble with was with Al Gore, but that fight is an exercise in abusing speed potions and debuffs really.

It was the fun kind of easy, where you learn to steamroll the game by actually playing it and learning how things interact to stack a shitzillion debuffs on someone. It kind of feels like you earned it, without being so tough as to make most people just go to GameFAQs and read a guide as to how to do it like a lot of RPGs would. Kinda reminded me of the class interactions on Penny Arcade Episode III.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CapnAndy posted:

Also, I know this one probably won't happen, but... I get the joke on the Jew class gear, I do. Bonuses for suffering, haha, I laughed. The first time. The thing is, being damaged and debuffed is a fail state -- I've been stacking armor and taking the Let It Slide perk and eating potions and blocking the whole game just to avoid it. Gear that rewards me for being critically injured with four debuffs on me isn't going to make me try and play that way, it's going to make me go "oh goddammit I ranked up and they slapped a whole bunch of new Jew gear on me, it's all useless, gotta hit my inventory and take it all off ASAP". "Oh no, now I'm weaker" is probably not the intended result for getting a new set of level-appropriate gear?

Your complaint is probably the same for every class though. I played a thief and I kept dreaded a new title change because it meant all my equipped stuff would be replaced with worse gear, and in some cases patches and strap-ons would be removed from my gear for absolutely no reason.

None of the class-specific gear is as good as stuff you can buy, and the stuff you can buy is not nearly as good as stuff you just find out in the world.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

bilperkins2 posted:

I'm talking to the team about this one, I'll see if there's a workaround. This doesn't sound like the Buddy glitch but just to be sure, try changing your buddy. There's another bug that won't let you progress if you keep the same buddy for long periods of time, but it usually presents with an endless loading screen so I don't think this is it. Regardless, shouldn't hurt to at least try.

Changing Buddies brought about no change, but thank you for the advice. :)

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dolash posted:

At some point, Kenny will bust out a special attack that corresponds to your current buddy, and you'll get a QTE to block it. If you block it, your buddy has to sit out the rest of the fight and another of your buddies steps forward. There are enough special attacks like that to get all your buddies sitting out, I think.

I had no idea that wasn't what you were supposed to do. In my fight it synced up perfectly where I killed him once per buddy with the buddy scenes, and then the final kill I needed was with just me left. I just figured he'd keep respawning unless you did it that way, since I mistimed a few buddy scenes initially and Kenny kept getting back up. So he just has a set amount of lives that aren't conveyed to you in any way?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

which class has the best special abilities? the fighter's were all pretty drat satisfying, especially the baseball bat and the football helmet ones.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Requested_Username posted:

which class has the best special abilities? the fighter's were all pretty drat satisfying, especially the baseball bat and the football helmet ones.

I loved Bull Rush for its haste when you had it fully ranked. The jump one was good for the AOE stun when you max leveled it as well. I never maxed Assault and Battery because by the time I realized how good Bleed was I had strap-ons that let me do the same thing without spending PP, but it was good for hitting targets in the back.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I've seen most people say that Thief and Mage are the most easy to break the game with. I'm playing as a Thief myself and even their early abilities are just insane (like Mug, which is a guaranteed Stun attack).

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

I've heard thief is the most broken class, but after watching speedruns of this game, I'd have to say mage is the best.

Dragon's Breath is just so ridiculous once you level it up enough to break armor.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
[11:10:29 PM] poppy: The magic system.
[11:10:31 PM] poppy: it's farts.
[11:10:34 PM] poppy: ALL farts.
[11:11:03 PM] Tarrier: For a minute I was thinking "Dark Souls II?" and then remembered you picked up Stick of Truth'
[11:12:03 PM] Tarrier: Maybe that's how people go hollow, they just let all the gas out

Why am I friends with these people. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Macaluso posted:

You can't pass either which means you can only stretch it out by attacking and just not hitting too hard

You actually can pass your turn just by choosing a regular melee attack, and then not pressing any of the timed hit buttons. For buddies, you just have them change every turn so they never do anything either.

An actual skip turn/defend option would definitely be better than it being hidden like that, though.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 12, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

You actually can pass your turn just by choosing a regular melee attack, and then not pressing any of the timed hit buttons. For buddies, you just have them change every turn so they never do anything either.

An actual skip turn/defend option would definitely be better than it being hidden like that, though.

Doesn't work on that fight, because you need to damage the boss enough that it does the special attacks that trigger the QTEs.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

King Vidiot posted:

None of the class-specific gear is as good as stuff you can buy, and the stuff you can buy is not nearly as good as stuff you just find out in the world.
Ehh, the hockey stick was a huge upgrade for me for about twenty minutes, until the fairy princess sword outclassed it.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
So I feel stupid for asking this, maybe something's just hosed up with my controller, but when giving Randy the abortion, I'm at the dilate part and I get to the point where Randy says that he's as wide as he can get and I stop spinning the controller stick but the action keeps on going and get the 'oh is that blood?' bit every loving time...

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

neckbeard posted:

So I feel stupid for asking this, maybe something's just hosed up with my controller, but when giving Randy the abortion, I'm at the dilate part and I get to the point where Randy says that he's as wide as he can get and I stop spinning the controller stick but the action keeps on going and get the 'oh is that blood?' bit every loving time...

Never stop basically. Crank that stick as hard and as fast as you can forever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I failed that one constantly and had to shift to kb/m to finish it on my first playthrough. On my second once I finally realized they wanted me to spin the stick as fast as possible I was able to do it easily with the controller. The on-screen prompts are just really bad for establishing what they want you to do.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah Randy's protests are kinda misleading. Don't stop, you have to keep going.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
New patch on steam tonight seems like fights are harder. But can anyone else confirm?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lowtechs posted:

New patch on steam tonight seems like fights are harder. But can anyone else confirm?

If it is the same one that bilperkins2 mentioned earlier, then no, it's done nothing to gameplay at all.

bilperkins2 posted:

FYI the patch you PC users are about to get doesn't do anything for you. It's prep stuff for the German version. Every version needs to be patched in order to fix it because of the way Steam handles Depots.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Thanks for the assistance, totally worth all the frustration for the Khloe Kardashian nazi fetus boss in that quest.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

neckbeard posted:

Thanks for the assistance, totally worth all the frustration for the Khloe Kardashian nazi fetus boss in that quest.

Speaking of that particular point (end of the clinic spoilers), I knew there was a secret achievement for farting on the fetus after you kill it but I was pleasantly surprised there is also some bonus reactionary comments made by your buddy if you physically interact with the object. I smacked the fetus corpse and its head split open and goo spilled out, and Butters comments,"You know Douchebag, I'm starting to think there is something seriously wrong with you.".

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

bilperkins2 posted:

Putting together the wishlist for the next patch so if anyone has any egregious bugs they saw let me know so I can try and include them, or any little annoyances. I've already got PC K&M stuff (tutorial/minigames), QTE difficulty and overall difficulty on my wishlist.

PC
Bug: "Sell stack" button on vendor screen does not automatically select the next item in list, cursor focus leaves the player inventory window.
Feature: "Sell all" button for Junk.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Is there any difference to the ending cutscene if you don't do the Al Gore/Manbearpig questline?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Game seems to be selling really well so far. Do we know what Obsidian's contract is? Hope they get a decent share of the profits. (And god I hope some metacritic clause isn't in there.)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

theblackw0lf posted:

Game seems to be selling really well so far. Do we know what Obsidian's contract is? Hope they get a decent share of the profits. (And god I hope some metacritic clause isn't in there.)

Well it looks like it's currently sitting at an 86 on metacritic and I doubt any publisher is going to gently caress over a dev if they don't get higher than a 90 or something. If anything they might have something in there in case Obsidian built something that was a buggy, unplayable mess. And let's face it, with Obsidian this wasn't really that unlikely.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
The important thing is, they didn't get a 4 on Gamespot.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if this is a bug or lovely playing on my part, but I'm having some real difficulties damaging enemies on the third day.

I mean sure, they may have high armour ratings. I can understand that being a damage mitigating factor. But when my crossbow deals upwards of 1200 damage a shot in a row, and its bleed delivery via patch, but my Slashing Blade of the Ranger with a lightning and cold patch only deals one point of damage across all classes plus delivering debuffs normally, I'm starting to think something weird is going on.

EDIT: For clarification. Zombies with 1000 armour and higher get damaged normally by my bow. Melee weapons do next to nothing to them.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 12, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dinictus posted:

I'm not sure if this is a bug or lovely playing on my part, but I'm having some real difficulties damaging enemies on the third day.

I mean sure, they may have high armour ratings. I can understand that being a damage mitigating factor. But when my crossbow deals upwards of 1200 damage a shot in a row, and its bleed delivery via patch, but my Slashing Blade of the Ranger with a lightning and cold patch only deals one point of damage across all classes plus delivering debuffs normally, I'm starting to think something weird is going on.

I noticed the same thing, but when you can stack gross-out, fire, and bleeding to a target, it honestly no longer matters if you're doing one point of damage. Also, try swapping Stan in - his top attack is pretty easy to ace and each strike takes off something like 100+ armor.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Canada is the best thing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I noticed the same thing...could it be poorly documented resistances? I also had a number of times, mostly on my super Jew dreidel ability, where it seemed like I automatically fumbled the input. I'd whale on A and D but get the fail version of the ability, even though the word Perfect would flash on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Chairchucker posted:

Canada is the best thing.

I beat the game with Dire AIDS because I didn't know you could just go to the hospital in Ottawa and get it cured for :10bux: in total.

• Locked thread