Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ah, that clears things up then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

coconono posted:

The only buzz I remember about him was Snoop Dogg signing to his label.

Because a gold plated tank is a surefire sign of business acumen.

Master P was absolutely an A-Level rap star from 1996-98. No Limit Records had a huge impact on rap music with both it's content and business model. He (meaning his label) took rap from being a mostly niche thing about hardship to club hits about money and rims. No Limit retained all rights and masters to their content in their deal with Priority, which was unheard of at that time. You could argue Cash Money Records had a part in this change, but No Limit was the first.

The problem with P is he got greedy and stingy with his signed talent. In 1998 most of his "stars" left, along with the producers who created the sound No Limit was famous for. No Limit fell off hard in 98 because of this. People didn't like the new No Limit sound or direction, so they faded quickly. WCW being WCW was about 2 years too late to the party.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Didn't they even screw up the Goldberg streak a little by making it go up absurd numbers every week? I think I remember that. Not like it mattered in the end since the guy was a phenomenon at his peak.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Bubba Grace posted:

He (meaning his label) took rap from being a mostly niche thing about hardship to club hits about money and rims.
So this was his fault. Now I really hate him.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

:goonsay:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Didn't they even screw up the Goldberg streak a little by making it go up absurd numbers every week? I think I remember that. Not like it mattered in the end since the guy was a phenomenon at his peak.

I think the number inflation thing was Sid.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

They started adding 5-6 wins to his record near the end. There was a site that tried to track the streak and make sense of it with house show wins. Even then it's not close.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

They started adding 5-6 wins to his record near the end. There was a site that tried to track the streak and make sense of it with house show wins. Even then it's not close.

I could have sworn for the most part the streak was legit (I think DDT Digest actually went through and found every win), with maybe a half dozen wins missing, but easily explained by 'we have no reports on a few house shows'.

Regardless, I think the rumor started with Jericho making a comment in his book, and he's basically full of poo poo, as one would expect a wrestler to be.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Great White Hope posted:

I could have sworn for the most part the streak was legit (I think DDT Digest actually went through and found every win), with maybe a half dozen wins missing, but easily explained by 'we have no reports on a few house shows'.

Regardless, I think the rumor started with Jericho making a comment in his book, and he's basically full of poo poo, as one would expect a wrestler to be.

WCW definitely started fudging the streak a bit in the summer and more as time went on. You could even see it on TV where people would bring signs and then as they started making things up the signs would all be wrong and stopped appearing. He just didn't wrestle that many matches in that time period.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

WCW definitely started fudging the streak a bit in the summer and more as time went on. You could even see it on TV where people would bring signs and then as they started making things up the signs would all be wrong and stopped appearing. He just didn't wrestle that many matches in that time period.

On top of that, there just wasn't enough time for him to even have those matches. For example, he would be 55-0 on Nitro and then 62-0 on Thunder of that same week.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

That's so :psyduck: to me. I don't remember this at all, but his televised matches and style were already impressive.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Red posted:

That's so :psyduck: to me. I don't remember this at all, but his televised matches and style were already impressive.

This might blow your mind, but Kevin Nash was never really seven-feet tall and Barry Darsow can't hit a hole-in-one.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Zack_Gochuck posted:

This might blow your mind, but Kevin Nash was never really seven-feet tall and Barry Darsow can't hit a hole-in-one.

Curt Hennig was actually perfect though, and you won't convince me otherwise.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Diabolik900 posted:

Curt Hennig was actually perfect though, and you won't convince me otherwise.

No argument here. Curt Henning was the most wonderful human being in history, and the story of him trying to wrestling Brock Lesnar on a loving plane, followed by Triple H getting thrown into the emergency door always brings a smile to my face.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Chris Benoit wasn't a crippler, either, he was a murderer. Ironically Bret the hitman Hart never killed anyone for money, but Owen Hart did cripple Steve Austin. Stu gave all his proteges the wrong gimmicks.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

greatn posted:

I remember the brief period WCW was ahead there was a lot of hilarious smug from WCW fans online and a lot of hilarious impotent rage from WWF fans. My favorite was claiming Goldberg was a sham and his streak was made up because he apparently lost a dark house match to like, Glacier or something around win number 40. Which is true, but a really dumb thing to quibble about.

Glacier should have been the one to break the streak anyway. Thanks, Kevin Nash.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Zack_Gochuck posted:

No argument here. Curt Henning was the most wonderful human being in history, and the story of him trying to wrestling Brock Lesnar on a loving plane, followed by Triple H getting thrown into the emergency door always brings a smile to my face.

The only thing better in this story is Vince doing the same thing with Kurt Angle. Minus the emergency doors.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I know, but Goldberg mowing through jobbers was already working. Why just start inflating his record, when the legitimate number is already impressive? It wasn't enough to have him no-sell a stop sign shot, or beat up the entire Flock?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

The only thing better in this story is Vince doing the same thing with Kurt Angle. Minus the emergency doors.

Sounds like you haven't read about Vince taking the Doomsday device, and needing surgery for the resulting injury.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Rusty Shackelford posted:

On top of that, there just wasn't enough time for him to even have those matches. For example, he would be 55-0 on Nitro and then 62-0 on Thunder of that same week.

A ref just followed him around as he beat up and pinned people at the grocery store, the mall, picking his kids up from school.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

triplexpac posted:

A ref just followed him around as he beat up and pinned people at the grocery store, the mall, picking his kids up from school.
Goldberg is Rickson Gracie?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

triplexpac posted:

I think you've confused Goldberg with Norman Smiley.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

So hr was Dikembe Mutombo in his golden years.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Halloween Jack posted:

Goldberg is Rickson Gracie?

oh man that would have been a money match. Goldberg vs. Gracie.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

Bubba Grace posted:

Master P was absolutely an A-Level rap star from 1996-98. No Limit Records had a huge impact on rap music with both it's content and business model. He (meaning his label) took rap from being a mostly niche thing about hardship to club hits about money and rims. No Limit retained all rights and masters to their content in their deal with Priority, which was unheard of at that time. You could argue Cash Money Records had a part in this change, but No Limit was the first.

The problem with P is he got greedy and stingy with his signed talent. In 1998 most of his "stars" left, along with the producers who created the sound No Limit was famous for. No Limit fell off hard in 98 because of this. People didn't like the new No Limit sound or direction, so they faded quickly. WCW being WCW was about 2 years too late to the party.

That's pretty much it. And it follows WCW's formula of following trends once they are no longer actual trends. Master P had already made a ton of money and was partially famous simply for making a huge amount of money in hip hop, WCW failed to see that his fame was fading. But he was definitely an A-Level player. However, he didn't fall down instantly. Keep in mind that Master P even had a song for South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut. The New Age Outlaws wore South Park shirts to please the audience, WCW decided to one up them and got Master P, the guy who had a song called Kenny's Dead. Although I do have to check the exact years...

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Red posted:

I know, but Goldberg mowing through jobbers was already working. Why just start inflating his record, when the legitimate number is already impressive? It wasn't enough to have him no-sell a stop sign shot, or beat up the entire Flock?

It's the same reason why Wrestlemainia 3's attendance was announced at 93,173. Hasn't Meltzer said in the past that the real number was closer to 78,000? Still drat impressive, but it's the carny mindset that is still in force- If 110-0 is good, then 130-0 is better.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kwik posted:

It's the same reason why Wrestlemainia 3's attendance was announced at 93,173. Hasn't Meltzer said in the past that the real number was closer to 78,000? Still drat impressive, but it's the carny mindset that is still in force- If 110-0 is good, then 130-0 is better.

For companies that want mainstream appeal, they still loving carny hard.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Rad R. posted:

That's pretty much it. And it follows WCW's formula of following trends once they are no longer actual trends. Master P had already made a ton of money and was partially famous simply for making a huge amount of money in hip hop, WCW failed to see that his fame was fading. But he was definitely an A-Level player. However, he didn't fall down instantly. Keep in mind that Master P even had a song for South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut. The New Age Outlaws wore South Park shirts to please the audience, WCW decided to one up them and got Master P, the guy who had a song called Kenny's Dead. Although I do have to check the exact years...

Actually Master P had a song on the South Park album Chef Aid. If I remember right it was just a rap cover of Curtis Mayfield's Freddie's Dead but changing the name to Kenny's Dead. I still have the CD somewhere which I remember liking because along with having silly songs like Chocolate Salty Balls you also had songs from Ween, Devo, Primus and Joe Strummer. Apparently it also had a collaboration between DMX, Ozzy Osbourne, and Ol' Dirty Bastard which sounds incredible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

bartok posted:

Actually Master P had a song on the South Park album Chef Aid. If I remember right it was just a rap cover of Curtis Mayfield's Freddie's Dead but changing the name to Kenny's Dead. I still have the CD somewhere which I remember liking because along with having silly songs like Chocolate Salty Balls you also had songs from Ween, Devo, Primus and Joe Strummer. Apparently it also had a collaboration between DMX, Ozzy Osbourne, and Ol' Dirty Bastard which sounds incredible.

Lets not forget that WWE had Issac Hayes sing Chocolate Salty Balls at WM 15 weekend.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets not forget that WWE had Issac Hayes sing Chocolate Salty Balls at WM 15 weekend.
Not the same performance (this is from Glastonbury 2002) but whatever, it's Isaac Hayes singing Chocolate Salty Balls live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM9rnqdAx00

And yeah, that South Park album owned bones. I accidentally bought the censored version because I was a dumb kid, but that was only a problem with a couple of songs like the Ozzy/DMX/Ol' Dirty Bastard/Crystal Method collaboration. Here's the song, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICR9EE4JTYs

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Wrestling has always been behind when it comes to pop culture; when WWE started having their wrestlers wear South Park shirts (as mentioned) in like early 1999 the show had a HUGE dropoff in popularity. Matt Stone and Trey Parker are very open about this fact if anyone gets a chance to listen to the 10th anniversary movie Bluray commentary. It wasn't until the movie hit did the show get a shock of life and it was uphill from that point on. But when John Tenta was carrying Cartman plushies to the ring, the show was considered a flash in the pan.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
They started the Cartman stuff in the summer of 98 and the Oddities were gone by 99

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I remember when Golga accidentally lost his mask and the crowd loving blew up into an Earthquake chant. Proving they had Earthquake on the roster, everyone still loved him, and he continued being a masked retard because ???.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

DeathChicken posted:

I remember when Golga accidentally lost his mask and the crowd loving blew up into an Earthquake chant. Proving they had Earthquake on the roster, everyone still loved him, and he continued being a masked retard because ???.
I might be wrong but I think it actually occurred at a house show and the WWF flat-out refused to acknowledge what happened on TV.

Or maybe it was a taped RAW

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

The Outlaws were wearing South Park shirts while they were still heels in '97. I remember this because I was shocked to see something so current on a pro-wrestling TV program.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Never forget the Headbangers

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DeathChicken posted:

Because John Tenta had lost a LOT of weight, and the powers that be thought the crowd wouldn't buy him being Earthquake when he was significantly smaller.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

VogeGandire posted:

Because John Tenta had lost a LOT of weight, and the powers that be thought the crowd wouldn't buy him being Earthquake when he was significantly smaller.

Yokozuna was fired for getting too fat.
Big Daddy V was fired for getting too fat.
Chris Hero was fired because his attitude about training meant he might get fat one day.
Kevin Steen probably won't get a job because he used to be really fat.
Big Boss Man was highest on the card when he was at his fattest.
Earthquake has to wear a mask and a Cartman shirt because he wasn't fat enough.
Mickie James, attractive woman, nicknamed "Piggie James" because she wasn't model thin.
Molly Holly, attractive woman, called fat because she wasn't model thin.

So I have no idea.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

They had nothing for the Earthquake character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

They had nothing for the Earthquake character?
What is the "Earthquake character" aside from "big dude named Earthquake"?