Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yeah, I've 1:15-1:30PM stuck in my head, I'm pretty sure that's when I heard it. They didn't find the plane until Sunday so there is some confusion as to when it actually went down on Saturday, that's why I'm asking.

One evening, my boss and I were at work and heard a helicopter approaching LOW. The engine started sputtering as it zoomed right over our building, then dead silence...a long pause...and then a loud crash! The 'copter had landed two blocks away from us. The pilot had been able to guide the failing helicopter to a church parking lot where the 'copter finally crashed. There was a bar full of people a couple hundred feet away. Sadly, the pilot was killed in the crash but he did prevent the copter from killing anyone else. http://madmax.lmtonline.com/textarchives/111800/s22.htm

Anyway, back to chooks! Here's a cute Reddit photo of a sleepy little Australorp chick named "Reptar" who is roosting on a little house that his owner made out of popsicle sticks. :3:

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Dang, that's scary. There's no way any of that was archived?

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Hey, I have a question for anyone who was watching Chickam on Saturday.

Apparantly we had a small plane go down in the small mountain range nearby, the pilot was killed.
http://www.ktvn.com/story/24928105/deadly-plane-crash-near-carson

I remembered hearing a small plane circling low and slow, it was loud, sputtering and sounded strange (but I never heard it stall). I heard it over the cam as well, and thought that others also may have. They are trying to figure out when it went down, but the nearest I can get is sometime between 1PM and 3PM that I heard it.

Anyone else hear the plane and remember about what time it was?

I unfortunately was in and out as well and didn't hear the plane. I'm sorry to hear what happened though. Gosh.
Sorry I can't be much help there.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Having ourselves a little egg-splosion here. Another Bear egg, a banty egg, our first Americaunas egg of the season, plus 5 other eggs, and the day ain't done yet. :pwn:

Bear has gotten clever and lays her eggs overnight while she sleeps in the next box. No disturbances from obnoxious rooboys that way.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
No Bear egg song?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

JimBobDole posted:

No Bear egg song?

Bear egg song now consists of "Meh." :pwn:

VS: What do you mean by "disturbances from obnoxious rooboys"? Can you explain please?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Yeah, no egg song from Bear, she was never one to sing the Egg Song, she is all business.

'Rooboy disturbances' = Unwanted attention from Cam, who is thoroughly, sickeningly in love with Bear and wants to court/mate her every 2 seconds. He climbs right into nest boxes with her.

Bear has her very own stalker. :keke:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Bear has her very own stalker. :keke:

Hahahaha! Awwww. That's so cute! And Cam did manage to "reawaken" Bear's lady-bits! Cam's attentions brought us green eggs! :D

I really hope that we get some Cam/Bear babies this year! :dance:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Inveigle posted:

Hahahaha! Awwww. That's so cute! And Cam did manage to "reawaken" Bear's lady-bits! Cam's attentions brought us green eggs! :D

I really hope that we get some Cam/Bear babies this year! :dance:

Gotta name one of them Sam-I-Am. as in Green Eggs and Cam!

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
O_O That Cam...
Bear is going Pringles on you: "Once you pop, you can't stop"!!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

AcetylCoA! posted:

Gotta name one of them Sam-I-Am. as in Green Eggs and Cam!

CamAmBear?

Too cheesy? :v:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
I have fun news! At my 'chicken stop' I was able to watch, in person, chickens taking dust/dirt baths! OH MY GOSH, they can sure kick that dirt a long ways VS! I had a HUGE smile just watching them. First there was one hen, then two. Next thing you knew, the whole lot of them. As if they were one HUGE chicken organism writhing and kicking and eating dirt along with their soft chicken bok bok bok sounds! It was so much fun to watch! :):)

So excited for baby chicks!

You go Bear!

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Do you have to worry about Cam being too rough in his courting/mating? I don't want Bear injured. :ohdear:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

JimBobDole posted:

Do you have to worry about Cam being too rough in his courting/mating? I don't want Bear injured. :ohdear:

I'm a bit worried about that too! Now that you've got some actual Bear eggs, perhaps it's time for Cam to go stay in the smaller run? He'd have to blow kisses at Bear from afar.

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

CamAmBear?

lol!! I was thinking about that exact name too & was pondering if the cheese factor was too strong to submit as a proposed name! XD

Cam, I hope you're treating your woman right!

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Velvet Sparrow posted:

CamAmBear?

:downsrim:

Haha. Perfect.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yes, I'll run the regular Chickam hatch thread in GBS like always, hopefully the mods will help protect it from the more fringe element posters...

Just as a heads up, the fringe element posters are all that's left and people have gotten banned for reporting them. So best to just ignore any poo poo posting in there and possibly abandon the thread if it gets real bad.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Or just ask for a move to Pet Island. I know the 2014 ghost stories thread had to do that (to PYF, not PI--though ghost pets would be pretty interesting.) Personally, I doubt that GBS will be able to refrain from making GBS threads all over the thread, but hey, maybe the power of adorable chickens will move them. :3:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Galler posted:

Just as a heads up, the fringe element posters are all that's left and people have gotten banned for reporting them. So best to just ignore any poo poo posting in there and possibly abandon the thread if it gets real bad.

That's sad. Why is SA now catering to the lowest common denominator elements? Are those losers more inclined to waste money on SA or something? Does anyone know what really happened? SA's GBS used to be a good forum.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

In relation to the situation with GBS, I had to move the space thread out a long time ago and judging by the current state of the place you don't want to try a "serious" thread in GBS anymore unless you like image spam and poo poo posts clogging up the thread.

It sucks that all the cool threads have had to retreat into other areas, I bet most of you have never herd of SAL for example, but at least PI has a rather large reader base to start with.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I dunno, we'll just have to see how it goes. The situtation in GBS mystifies me as well, it seems like a huge waste of SA's resources, tons of throwaway posts. I used to read GBS extensively, and it's actually why I joined SA--I found a group of intelligent, fun people. I wonder what other sites they've gone to. :smith:

All you can do is downvote the crappy threads, I guess. I may end up starting the thread in GBS to let everyone know that the hatch is on, then moving it to PI if it gets bad. I'd hate to have people who look forward to it miss it.

Meanwhile, the weather here continues fine and the chickens are getting all twitterpated. :keke: Also, I have a lead on local bantam Salmon Faverolles (junior chicks rather than eggs), also bantam red laced blue Wyandotte and d'Anvers eggs, woo hoo!

I may well end up running THREE staggered hatches rather than two, depending on how the timing works out.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 12, 2014

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I wonder what other sites they've gone to. :smith:

Reddit, for one. Way to cut off your own nose, SA.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I may well end up running THREE staggered hatches rather than two, depending on how the timing works out.

THREE?!?!! WOW! LOL! That would be so awesome! We'd be ROLLING in adorable chick drama! :allears:

I sure hope you get a couple of broodies to help watch all those babies.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 12, 2014

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
I figure what will happen if the chicks thread goes up in GBS is that chat on the cam is going to be ugly until we ban all the jerks. The censor is already on and if links are allowed, that will have to be blocked as well.

I don't visit SA generally as much as I used to. The wholesale crapping up of the place has left a bad taste in my mouth. There are a few forums that have been spared and what time I spend on SA is limited to those few. Pretty sad, really.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Before GBS was "good" it's original purpose was to be bad. Being good was an anomaly.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Shifty Nipples posted:

Before GBS was "good" it's original purpose was to be bad. Being good was an anomaly.

Hah! Yes, the "bad old days." Even though my SA registration is 2004, I was actually here in 2002. I remember the stuff that went on here (including harrassment and HPJ). It was like Portal of Evil Lite. Things did slowly change for the better and I recced SA to a number of friends back then. I wouldn't rec SA nowadays though. :smith:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Egg update! These are our eggs that will go into the incubator this Saturday, along with some Bantam Cochin eggs we are getting tomorrow.

Four more green Bear eggs (for a total of 7 including the three already in the incubator), two blue Americaunas (Bug or Rose), other assorted eggs and two banty eggs just for fun.

Gotta go check the chickens, someone is eggsonging. EDIT: It was Sansa! She hollered in my ear when I bent over to get the egg.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 14, 2014

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Egg update! These are our eggs that will go into the incubator this Saturday, along with some Bantam Cochin eggs we are getting tomorrow.

Four more green Bear eggs (for a total of 7 including the three already in the incubator), two blue Americaunas (Bug or Rose), other assorted eggs and two banty eggs just for fun.

Gotta go check the chickens, someone is eggsonging.

They're so pretty! Also, Bear is becoming an egg laying rock star!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Chickam 2014: Bearpocalypse.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

The Eggpocalypse! The names suggested by the GBS 1.4 goons should be very interesting this year.

So many Bear eggs! This year will be so much fun! :dance:

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Of course it was Sansa! She whines like her namesake.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Well, we went to a local breeder and did the egg exchange thing today! I took her some of our big ol' eggs and got some in trade...

Only one problem--this box, IT LIES.

Because these aren't XL eggs, they're banty bullets! :neckbeard:

Six little black bantam Cochin eggs, with the possibility of Frizzles!

And here is the entire Hatch B batch ready to go, 18 eggs total!

In addition to the banty eggs, there are 4 Bear eggs (the dark green ones), 3 Americaunas eggs (blue), 3 Brahma eggs (I think), one small darker brown egg and one medium brown egg.

They go into the incubator at 7AM tomorrow! Hatch date for Hatch B should be April 5th.

VVVV You got it. :)

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 15, 2014

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

So, uh, if you get a giant fluffball pullet and you happen to come down here in the summer, I could totally help you deal with the fluffbutte :colbert:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Everybody is in! Hatch A is on the lower shelf, Hatch B on the top shelf.

For those of you playing along at home, that's a total of 31 eggs! :derp:
Hatch A should hatch March 28th, Hatch B April 5th. I will candle Hatch A at 11PM on the night of March 17th (I have to do it at night in order to be able to see anything) and remove any duds then, if I can I'll run the candling on Chickam so you guys can see if there are any lil' wigglers in there.

Now to find a brooder box...

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 15, 2014

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Now to find a brooder box...

Are you sure you won't be needing TWO brooder boxes for all these chicks? (Especially if there's a third hatch?) :allears:

I sure hope there's a broody hen to help you this year! :dance:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

So many colors! :neckbeard:

What's the purple squishy toy thing for? It's been a long time since I've gotten to see one of your hatches (not since Bloop and Linc were hatched!)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Kerrrrrrr posted:

What's the purple squishy toy thing for? It's been a long time since I've gotten to see one of your hatches (not since Bloop and Linc were hatched!)

It's called a "water weasel" and it's a plastic sleeve filled with a watery gel. A thermometer is stuck inside of it in order to simulate the temperature inside the eggs. That way VS knows the Reptipro incubator is running at the correct temperature. :eng101:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

They should all be OK in one BIG brooder box, although we may section off a small part of it for Hatch B their first few days, just so they don't get stomped by the week-old chicks. After that they can all run together. Last year the box the water heater came in worked beautifully, I'll have to see if I can find something similar to take over my dining room for 2 months. :keke:

The purple thing is a toy called a Water Weasel or Water Snake. The cord going into it has the probe for the digital thermometer. Eggs should be at 99.5 degrees throughout incubation. The water weasel is simulating an egg--it's a way of basically taking the temperature INSIDE an egg rather than of the air surrounding the eggs, it gives you a better idea of what the weather is like inside an egg, making for a better hatch. As far as I know, my buddy Alan who breeds Silkies came up with it. :)

EDIT: No Chickam today due to a last-minute family thing, sorry. We'll run the cam tomorrow.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 15, 2014

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
I hope all is well!!

ohhh....frizzles and americaunas~!!
It seems like Bear is trying to make up for all the non-egg-laying years! I tell my husband about it and he's goes:
"All the green eggs are gonna hatch and it'll zombie chicken apocalypse. Weedcat will be the first one to go down because, like in all horror movies, the sexiest person is the first one to go."

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
My local appliance store keeps a few boxes around and gives 'em away free. That's how I got enough cardboard to line around my bed when I brought the puppy home a couple years ago. Maybe someplace near you does too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Cam is up. I'm playing with settings every once in awhile, so if it goes down, it might be me. Refresh and it'll come back after I'm done yelling at the computer. Probably going to be goodies later. Strings may be involved.

• Locked thread