Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teh Madd Hatter
May 26, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

In less lovely TG Kickstarter news, the Tokaido: Collector's Edition Kickstarter has an expansion as a stretch goal that is likely going to be reached. Although not the greatest of values I guess, especially if you don't care about all the minis, it's still a pretty well run Kickstarter that listens to user feedback and has reasonable stretch goals and whatnot.

The problem I'm having with the Tokaido kickstarter right now is that it doesn't feel like I can get a whole lot of value out of it. I already own both the base game and the expansion, so the level I would want to go with is the 45 dollar one, but I don't get access to all of the stretch goal content without having to buy stuff that I already have purchased before. It's not really a good way to describe it but it feels to me like I'm in a worse position having supported them before rather than buying now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

GrandpaPants posted:

In less lovely TG Kickstarter news, the Tokaido: Collector's Edition Kickstarter has an expansion as a stretch goal that is likely going to be reached. Although not the greatest of values I guess, especially if you don't care about all the minis, it's still a pretty well run Kickstarter that listens to user feedback and has reasonable stretch goals and whatnot.

Looks tempting! Has anyone played it/know if the game is fun?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LLSix posted:

It's great. It takes no time to learn and plays super fast and smooth.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

LLSix posted:

It depends on what you're looking for. It is a suuuuper chill game. Like, you won't strain your brain and victories aren't exactly based on brilliant long term strategies, but it's pretty much a perfect cooldown game for me. And it's absolutely gorgeous to look at, to boot. Like literally one of the most beautiful games I've seen.

They're asking for a lot, and a lot of that is just chrome (minis, coins, etc), so don't feel obligated to back the Kickstarter, but I enjoy the base game enough (that I luckily don't own) to pick it up.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Pairs only has a couple days left. It uses a 55 card pyramid deck and looks like a lot of fun. They've raised a ton of money already, there's only one real stretch goal left, but I'd kinda like to see a video of James laughing all the way to the bank.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Tried to back this project to get a copy of Falling, but for some reason Amazon messes up when it tries to process the pledge. Has anyone else had problems with it?

edit: got it worked out

AgentF fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 12, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Tower just reached the 25k mark, adding Lutfi, an AI player, to compete over resources and to make solo play possible.

The next SG is at 30k, which will add the ability to directly steal from the tax office, which will set the Royal Guard on you until you either pay a fine or are caught.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Pretty nice Wild-West gaming terrain from TTcombat with lot of options.

Reasonable pirce and they will ship in may. (this year)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

More on terrain, the second Dwarven forge project is up, for caverns

It's fair to say they're funding awful fast, already at 65k 75k 85k funded the full 100k in maybe 15 minutes, including about $40k while I was typing this out?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

adhuin posted:

Pretty nice Wild-West gaming terrain from TTcombat with lot of options.

Reasonable pirce and they will ship in may. (this year)

This is kind of tempting to get for the windmills and water tower, both of which would make fine Infinity terrain, and I could get both for £8 with free shipping.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
So I got an email from Stonemaier Games (the chaps who did Euphoria and Viticulture)that Viticulture's expansion, Tuscany has been posted, and by the time I had a break from work (about 15 minutes later) to check out, it was already funded.

Since I missed out on Viticulture, but pledged on, and have recieved Euphoria, I was an instant lock myself. looks like they've now tripled their goal amount, just over 60k in an hour. I can speak from experience on how well run their KSes are, I actually recieved Euphoria early, and there's always been a ton of communication and transparency with everything.

alchahest fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 12, 2014

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

alchahest posted:

So I got an email from Stonemaier Games (the chaps who did Euphoria and Viticulture)that Viticulture's expansion, Tuscany has been posted, and by the time I had a break from work (about 15 minutes later) to check out, it was already funded.

This is probably more applicable for the actual BG thread, but how is Viticulture? My main issue with Euros is how non-interactive they feel, and on occasion how samey each game feels. So even though I enjoy the mechanics games like Hansa Teutonica, I don't play them that often because games just feel the same from game to game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Blue Dungeon Tiles kickstarter looks pretty good. It's a simple tile set for doing dungeon/whatever layouts, and the price range is pretty impressive. $30 gets you 48 tiles that can be used with wet or dry erase markers, a few sheets of cardstock dungeon dressings, and a carrying case.

The "blank" tile is actually the back of the normal tiles, not a separate tile.

I'm still waiting on the Tac-Tiles KS, but this looks like it'll be really useful too.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent

GrandpaPants posted:

This is probably more applicable for the actual BG thread, but how is Viticulture? My main issue with Euros is how non-interactive they feel, and on occasion how samey each game feels. So even though I enjoy the mechanics games like Hansa Teutonica, I don't play them that often because games just feel the same from game to game.

I actually have no idea, I'm backing on the strength of Euphoria and how well the company runs kickstarters. Hopefully it's great!

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I haven't played Viticulture, but I've watched a couple of videos for it. I don't currently own a worker placement game, so I am intrigued by the game. Things I like about it: it looks to be medium weight, it plays within 1-2 hours, it's not a point salad engine in that it generates points exponentially (e.g. Russian Railroads, a game I didn't like at all), the components look excellent, and I was impressed by my friend's copy of Euphoria so I'm impressed by Stonemaier Games. The things I potentially may not like about Viticulture and Tuscany are: once someone reaches 20 points, the game ends, and there's no bonus for having extra money, goods, etc. Also, I worry how much more complicated it will be by adding all the additional parts from the expansions and especially the Tuscany expansion. Is it going to become this unwieldy pile of information that will lead to analysis paralysis?

With all that said, I was looking at this Kickstarter for Tuscany, and I noticed there are no Kickstarter exclusives beyond getting approximately 35% discount off the MSRP. Yeah, there are the metal coins, but that's about it. Anyway, the price is as low of a price as it's going to be after it comes out, but I haven't played the base game yet, and I don't really know if I would want to add additional expansions to the mix if they'll just make it more complicated and make the game last longer. All in all, $79 for Viticulture plus Tuscany is a hefty price and it puts it into the Caverna range. Is it better than Caverna? I am not so sure. Also, paying 25% more to $99 for wooden boxes and metal coins seems a bit too much.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ow, my nostalgia. Those blue dungeon tiles really remind me of the old, old Dungeon Geomorphs booklet... which was probably the point of choosing that particular shade of blue.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent

medchem posted:

I haven't played Viticulture, but I've watched a couple of videos for it. I don't currently own a worker placement game, so I am intrigued by the game. Things I like about it: it looks to be medium weight, it plays within 1-2 hours, it's not a point salad engine in that it generates points exponentially (e.g. Russian Railroads, a game I didn't like at all), the components look excellent, and I was impressed by my friend's copy of Euphoria so I'm impressed by Stonemaier Games. The things I potentially may not like about Viticulture and Tuscany are: once someone reaches 20 points, the game ends, and there's no bonus for having extra money, goods, etc. Also, I worry how much more complicated it will be by adding all the additional parts from the expansions and especially the Tuscany expansion. Is it going to become this unwieldy pile of information that will lead to analysis paralysis?

With all that said, I was looking at this Kickstarter for Tuscany, and I noticed there are no Kickstarter exclusives beyond getting approximately 35% discount off the MSRP. Yeah, there are the metal coins, but that's about it. Anyway, the price is as low of a price as it's going to be after it comes out, but I haven't played the base game yet, and I don't really know if I would want to add additional expansions to the mix if they'll just make it more complicated and make the game last longer. All in all, $79 for Viticulture plus Tuscany is a hefty price and it puts it into the Caverna range. Is it better than Caverna? I am not so sure. Also, paying 25% more to $99 for wooden boxes and metal coins seems a bit too much.

A lot of the stretch goals for Euphora came later on. The realistic components thing though caused them a bit of trouble, not because they were too expensive, or hard to make or anything, but because they were so well liked, that they wanted to produce more, like them, to be used in any games ( a sort of generic upgraded components box, gold bars, bricks, gems, coins, etc) but because they were kickstarter-exclusive, there was a lot of resistance to the idea from backers. well, like 3 or 4 percent of them anyways. They figured that Stonemaier shouldn't be able to make new upgraded components (different sculpts, even, they destroyed the masters used for the upgraded components in Euphoria).

So Stonemaier decided not to offer exclusives in that way anymore. I believe there'll still be exclusives that are relevant just to the game, like, say, your name on a card or whatever, but they didn't want to shoot themselves in the foot going forward, if a KS exclusive item becomes highly in demand (like the realistic components), they didn't want to close that off as a market, nor did they want to alienate people who didn't happen to hear about a 4 week kickstarter.

-edit-

I should mention that I was actively involved in the discussion about the exclusives, and whether different, new resource upgrades would be considered breaking the trust of the backers, etc. I would prefer to see "Exclusives" done away with, and have the bonuses applied to retail copies of the game. getting things significantly cheaper and faster is good enough for me. I don't want to show off a game that I've got, and see a friend go to buy it and be disappointed because it's not as good.

alchahest fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 12, 2014

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Blue Dungeon Tiles kickstarter looks pretty good. It's a simple tile set for doing dungeon/whatever layouts, and the price range is pretty impressive. $30 gets you 48 tiles that can be used with wet or dry erase markers, a few sheets of cardstock dungeon dressings, and a carrying case.

$30 for this vs. the cooler but WAY more expensive Dwarven Forge stuff?

Sold. I'm not made of money you know!!! :argh:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bieeardo posted:

Ow, my nostalgia. Those blue dungeon tiles really remind me of the old, old Dungeon Geomorphs booklet... which was probably the point of choosing that particular shade of blue.

The guy pretty much admits as such, but it's also because with that shade of light blue, you can write on it with most colors of dry erase and the ink stands out nicely.

Nostalgic and practical!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

alchahest posted:

A lot of the stretch goals for Euphora came later on. The realistic components thing though caused them a bit of trouble, not because they were too expensive, or hard to make or anything, but because they were so well liked, that they wanted to produce more, like them, to be used in any games ( a sort of generic upgraded components box, gold bars, bricks, gems, coins, etc) but because they were kickstarter-exclusive, there was a lot of resistance to the idea from backers. well, like 3 or 4 percent of them anyways. They figured that Stonemaier shouldn't be able to make new upgraded components (different sculpts, even, they destroyed the masters used for the upgraded components in Euphoria).

So Stonemaier decided not to offer exclusives in that way anymore. I believe there'll still be exclusives that are relevant just to the game, like, say, your name on a card or whatever, but they didn't want to shoot themselves in the foot going forward, if a KS exclusive item becomes highly in demand (like the realistic components), they didn't want to close that off as a market, nor did they want to alienate people who didn't happen to hear about a 4 week kickstarter.

-edit-

I should mention that I was actively involved in the discussion about the exclusives, and whether different, new resource upgrades would be considered breaking the trust of the backers, etc. I would prefer to see "Exclusives" done away with, and have the bonuses applied to retail copies of the game. getting things significantly cheaper and faster is good enough for me. I don't want to show off a game that I've got, and see a friend go to buy it and be disappointed because it's not as good.

Wow, what an incredibly lovely situation. It's sorta disheartening that the backers were whiny enough to "lower" the quality of the game pieces in the future for the sake of their ~exclusive~. But I don't blame them for shifting away from Kickstarter exclusives, which are kinda annoying in general. I think the best compromise are Kickstarter promos that are free to backers for appropriate tiers, but can be purchased separately later. That is, it rewards and improves the value for backers, but it doesn't irrevocably punish people for either missing the KS, wanting to wait for reviews, or just didn't have the budget for it that month.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
Yeah - Stonemaier Games got enough positive feedback (I did mention that they polled their entire backer base before making a decision, right?) that they are going ahead with the plan for component upgrade packs, with different sculpts. Stonemaier did destroy the old sculpts, so the backers from Euphoria's kickstarter are literally the only ones who will get those particular pieces, to appease the whiners.

Through the whole process, Jamey (the public face of Stonemaier) was very frank, very open, and discussed the decisions when made. I'm actually more a fan of the company after that situation than I was before, even. Looking forward to buying up a bunch of cool pieces to augment other games!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

They do a really great job of selling them in the KS, highlighting the versatility. I think you could do a lot with that + marker + papercraft objects. I think I'ma back that, they really can be used for a lot of different games.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I actually think Kickstarter exclusives can hurt sales post-release. In the case of Euphoria, my friend got the KS Deluxe version, and it looked so good, the retail version just didn't seem worth buying.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
That's exactly my thinking, medchem. as for Tuscany, it made funding in 16 minutes, and cleared all of it's original stretch goals in under four hours, a few more have been added now, and the initial burst is slowing down. If anyone's on the fence about it, or has an interest in worker placement games and in kickstarter projects, I would recommend following this, even if you don't end up pledging - Stonemaier runs a really, really tight kickstarter, and it's worth watching even if you ultimately don't end up a backer.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I say this counts for the thread.

Good God the umlauts have three dots.

quote:

We have taken a transmedia approach in the concept of The Rangers from its inception. Developing The Rangers Card Game and commissioning the Lt. Wolf miniature with an eye towards a tabletop battle game, in conjunction with the film development. With plans for novelizing the story, a graphic novel, a video game down the road, and more in the works. The goal, fantasy entertainment with total fan engagement and satisfaction in mind.

LT. WOLF

You only get the miniatures if you pledge two thousand dollars though. The miniatures of LT. WOLF.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
My first thought is "wow that's a lot of shouting on that poster."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

We have taken a transmedia approach in the concept of The Rangers from its inception. Developing The Rangers Card Game and commissioning the Lt. Wolf miniature with an eye towards a tabletop battle game, in conjunction with the film development. With plans for novelizing the story, a graphic novel, a video game down the road, and more in the works. The goal, fantasy entertainment with total fan engagement and satisfaction in mind.
I'm getting Far West flashbacks.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Ranger Lieutenant Ѡöℓƒ

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Amazing on so many (backer) levels.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I am getting really irrationally angry because the triple-umlaut is actually Tengwar for an open a and if they were Tolkien nerds they would fuckin' know that. Instead, they are just putting it above every other loving vowel.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I hope whoever wrote the kickstarter blurb isn't responsible for any of the script

quote:

The Rangers is about a special force of elite warriors known as Rangers.

You don't say.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

quote:

The Rangers is set in a world of high fantasy. It is a rich multi-layered and complex world, with it’s own mythos and lexicon of heroes and races. When we began conceiving the world of The Rangers we started with a creation myth and a timeline for the history of the world, in the same vein as Tolkien’s "Lord of the Rings". Drawing from our extensive role playing backgrounds and an almost Dungeons & Dragons style adventure world creation, we strove to produce a “Game of Thrones” level of intrigue in our realm, with surprises for the characters and viewers around every castle corner, and treacherous mountain pass.

"We played a lot of D&D and it was awesome, so we've decided to make a movie about it. That has never gone wrong before."

quote:

You may have pictured Rangers like when Strider first appears puffing on his pipe at the Prancing Pony, or The Rangers of The North, maybe your vision of a Ranger was Robin Hood, or Drizzt Do’urden, possibly The Night’s Watch comes to mind, maybe even your favorite D&D character, The Rangers are all of that and more. They are even a bit Jedi (well at least, what I thought Jedi were as I grew up in the '80s - not as in with the force, but their awe and respect).

"This is literally stolen from every fantasy story you've ever read...and more! (The more is Star Wars.)"

quote:

~Loyalty~Honor~Courage~Forever~The Rangers

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

And it's transmedia so it will be terrible and derivative in a multitude of formats because spreading mediocrity thin is the way of the future!

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

quote:

Lt. Wolf and his Wolf Pack, an elite unit of Rangers, uncover a long-forgotten peril of ancient evil reawakening in this epic fantasy.

Ahahaha this loving sentence. It reads like the tags on a piece of Apocalypse World gear.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

~Loyalty~Honor~Courage~Forever~The Rangers

New thread title/gang tag/forum name found.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
Great, now I've got an image in my head of a bunch of LARPers dancing around to the theme from Miami Connection.

Thank you

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GimpInBlack posted:

Ahahaha this loving sentence. It reads like the tags on a piece of Apocalypse World gear.

When you uncover a long-forgotten peril of ancient evil reawakening, roll+cliche...

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I don't like how it caps out at King. If I'm blowing more than 500$ on a product, I expect to at least be a monarch. For 1000$, I want Emperor.

And 10000 should drat well be An Ancient Evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The Kickstarters are pretty much just for the super-deluxe editions. It's not something you should pledge to if you just want the game.

I'm way, way late to this, but the $75 tier for the Mage20 KS is the Mage PDF, the Vampire PDF, and the Werewolf PDF. Cheaper than buying all three of them individually on DriveThruRPG, if you're interested in owning all three.

• Locked thread