Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
VOTOMs rules, and it's kind of funny how it is basically anti-toyetic in comparison to Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Anonymous Robot posted:

I don't know how anybody gets the flash off those Zeon hose pieces, though.

For Sinanju's beads I wrapped masking tape around cut up runner pieces until they were thick enough to hold them solid, then i just file away. Then I say gently caress it and do a quick spray of grey paint to save me the tedium of cleaning up like 16 identical tiny pieces. The alternative is the aftermarket metallic beads you can get, but sometimes you don't want any extra silver or gold on your stuff.

BattleRobit
Jun 14, 2013

Build Fighters sure got me interested in gunpla again.:haw: (Last one I built was a 1/144 Double X 10+years ago)
Just finished working on these:

Also got a painting related question for the thread, Is it okay to use an acrylic based topcoat on a lacquer painted surface?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hekk posted:

I've put together some pretty serviceable 1/48 & 1/35 plastic model airplanes and tanks in the past. I still have my airbrush lying around somewhere and a poo poo ton of sandpaper and model glue. I stumbled across this thread and remember buying one of these robot men when I lived in Japan ten years ago or so. I don't know the first thing about Gundam but robots are cool as gently caress and I want to build some to put on my desk.

Any suggestions for robot looking robots? It's not so much that I don't like the samurai look but more that I really enjoy the blocky classic battletech look.

Try the D-50C Loto twin-pack. It's an HG kit, but you get a pair of transforming robot tanks that are pretty neat little desk toys.

Quoting myself so you can have a look at them, and because the first part I mention is important if you do get the kit.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Time for Loto pics!

First off, if you're going to get a set yourself, you'll find two notches inside the arm sockets on the central chest piece.

Destroy them. They're meant to act as a toggle for the arms between Mobile Suit and Tank mode, but they're waaaay too good at their job and will lock the arms in.

The easy way to do it is to just jam your nippers/wire cutters in there and start nipping it to death until some of it's shaved off. Once it's done, the arms will click back-and-forth like they're supposed to.

And now for the proper robot pics.

This is the one with the shoulders locked in, and I might try and see if I can lever the front of the chest off and shred the notches on it later. The visor sticker's not so bad to get into place, but there's a tiny rectangular sticker on the side of the head that is a bastard of a thing to get into place as it just sits on a raised surface in the groove rather than in it. The white parts are stickers wrapped over an angular surface.

The missile launcher "hands" on the Loto are a choice of "open" or "shut", and as the "shut" ones sit right in the groove I figured I'd go with the open hands for one of them. The joy of this kit is that it's just two packs of the same three runner frames, so they both had one of these multi-barrel cannons. How can I say no to MORE DAKKA!? :orks101:

These things are really small compared to an HG.

AutoLoto-bots; transform and roll out!

If that larger robot in the second-last picture is of any interest to you, it's called a Jesta Cannon. It's also in the "main" HG line and a really good one to boot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

BattleRobit posted:

Build Fighters sure got me interested in gunpla again.:haw: (Last one I built was a 1/144 Double X 10+years ago)

HGAW Double X recently came out, so you might want to try that!

quote:

Also got a painting related question for the thread, Is it okay to use an acrylic based topcoat on a lacquer painted surface?

Yeah that's fine. Main thing to avoid is lacquer on acrylic, it'll just eat through.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

When (if) they actually start selling plamo at Barnes & Nobel, I feel this overwhelming desire to buy an HG and build it in the cafe while drinking coffee. They won't get mad because it's good advertisement for the products, right? :dance:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

hallo spacedog posted:

When (if) they actually start selling plamo at Barnes & Nobel, I feel this overwhelming desire to buy an HG and build it in the cafe while drinking coffee. They won't get mad because it's good advertisement for the products, right? :dance:

They'd probably get mad about the variety of sharp objects involved.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Use a butterknife to denub. :getin:

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

BlitzBlast posted:

Fun story, I put together a Buster Gundam a couple of weeks back whilst somewhat inebriated. The day after I had a lot of tools that aren't used for gunpla in my gunpa toolbox, such as hammers. And some runners (not the actual gundam bits, just the runners) that were smashed into fine dust. apparently I got angry at the Buster at some point.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

AzMiLion posted:

Fun story, I put together a Buster Gundam a couple of weeks back whilst somewhat inebriated. The day after I had a lot of tools that aren't used for gunpla in my gunpa toolbox, such as hammers. And some runners (not the actual gundam bits, just the runners) that were smashed into fine dust. apparently I got angry at the Buster at some point.

How'd the Buster turn out?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Luminaflare posted:

I would probably just bring nippers and do actual refining work at home later.
I was wondering about that though... it's really cool they are (maybe, like I said I'll believe it when I see it kind of) going to start selling plamo but I'm kind of curious as to if they will have some kind of "beginner tool set" on sale there for people starting out.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AzMiLion posted:

I'm curious on how it turned out as well, the only thing I've ever built while drunk is my SD Strike, and that looked pretty awful.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

According to an article I read, they're going to have proper displays with built models for show, so it seems like they're somewhat serious about putting an effort in to establish the brand at B&N. To think, I used to work there and would get 30% to 40% off! Though, I can't imagine they'll carry anything I actually care about; I'm only really interested in MG kits, and even then, 80% of Gundam looks like tacky, overdesigned anime madness to me.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BlitzBlast posted:

Twist everything off like you are six and the set came as part of your monthly Wings and Wheels datacard pack.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Phy posted:

Twist everything off like you are six and the set came as part of your monthly Wings and Wheels datacard pack.

You are a monster.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Man, the Gouf's sword does not fit into the hand peg well at all. It can hold it alright with just the fingers, but it limits the poses for sure.

Edit: RIP to the GM that's about to get wrecked

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 13, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Luminaflare posted:

If you have an x-acto and put down some newspapers so you don't destroy their tables you could probably even get away with it. I wouldn't use a huge rear end Benchmade or something like that; someone would totally call the cops on you for that.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Midjack posted:

If you have an x-acto and put down some newspapers so you don't destroy their tables you could probably even get away with it. I wouldn't use a huge rear end Benchmade or something like that; someone would totally call the cops on you for that.

That's what the cardboard box is for!

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I've finished my "Mr. Bushido's Ahead" and man was this a fun challenge for my second kit. This time round I used acrylic paint for the orange sections, the sticker for the eyes as trying to paint that fucker would be nigh on impossible too difficult at a HG scale, I also made use of some decals to give it a bit of an edge but, what really gives it that ummppf is the Matte top coat. Holy poo poo does that thing make all the difference to a plastic kit, pictures below!

Then we painted the blade as see-through was a bit lame..

Posing with the first kit, which I'm going to go back and matte spray.

Opinions?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
great job! Looks like a huge improvement over the basic kit for relatively little work.
I like to use gloss on kits with lots of round shapes to really show off the curves.

what did you use for panel lining?

Can someone recommend a ready to use matte coating I can airbrush on? Im tired of buying spraycans

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 13, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Fauxtool posted:

great job! Looks like a huge improvement over the basic kit for relatively little work.
I like to use gloss on kits with lots of round shapes to really show off the curves.

what did you use for panel lining?

Can someone recommend a ready to use matte coating I can airbrush on? Im tired of buying spraycans

I just used a gunpla pen for panel lines and generally small areas but, if a space needs a lot f black, like the Gundamn Age-1 Normal does on it's knee caps I use a sparie marker.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 13, 2014

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Dino Getter 1 is up for preorder at all your favourite toy places. It's looks neat if a little messy and I wonder if the 2 and 3 will also have a transforming gimmick.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

It's not exactly ready to use, but Tamiya Flat base and Future in a 3:7 mixture is a one step process.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Miss Sazabi is ready to ship from AmiAmi!

Subtotal: 2,180 JPY
Shipping: 2,400 JPY
Grand total: 4,580 JPY

:negative:

This is more than it should be, right? Right?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Welcome to the joys of shipping.

KoB
May 1, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Welcome to the joys of shipping.

We need a :xcom: for gunpla.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

KoB posted:

We need a :xcom: for gunpla.

Eh, I think :rodimus: works well enough. A different kind of robot toy, sure, but it's still a big, expensive robot toy.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Since that EMS price is a bit too much considering I still need to buy tools, is there any reason not to go with Air Small Packet? Are Gunpla even eligible for that? (Or SAL Packet, I guess.)

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 13, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you want it fast, EMS is the only choice. If you're fine with it taking a while (and sometimes a long while), SAL is perfectly fine.

If you're looking for tools, I heavily recommend looking around your area. Gunpla isn't very popular in the US, but you can sure as hell find modeling tools all over. At the very least you can get them all on amazon!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I loathe to recommend it... But try the place the local grogs go for their WarHams. Those little over priced army toys are assembled and painted very similarly to our little over priced robot toys.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
This stupid website is going to be the death of me.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

S-Alpha posted:

Eh, I think :rodimus: works well enough. A different kind of robot toy, sure, but it's still a big, expensive robot toy.

I could swear I saw one of these with a Zaku a while back.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Oh. Apparently the Miss Sazabi is pretty big for an HG, which would explain the elevated cost and shipping prices.

I'm guessing it'd be better to wait to until I have the ability to paint in order to provide a greater level of detail, since it seems like there are a lot of large, blank surfaces, or just wait until an MG version comes out.

HG Exia? Any reason against starting with that?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

centaurette hentai posted:

Oh. Apparently the Miss Sazabi is pretty big for an HG, which would explain the elevated cost and shipping prices.

I'm guessing it'd be better to wait to until I have the ability to paint in order to provide a greater level of detail, since it seems like there are a lot of large, blank surfaces, or just wait until an MG version comes out.

If you're willing to wait a bit I bet eventually amazon will end up with a few of them, like they have with all the other Build Fighter kits so far, much more agreeable shipping. I got mine in two days for free because PRIME is cool.

Crossposting from MENSA crew thread, I built my first robot since I was a little kid and the gundam boom was happening yesterday:

I don't think I did a great job but I still like it a lot and I had fun.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Oh man, I love the paint job on that one.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Since that EMS price is a bit too much considering I still need to buy tools, is there any reason not to go with Air Small Packet? Are Gunpla even eligible for that? (Or SAL Packet, I guess.)

I use Air Small Packet if it's available or Registered SAL if I don't need a thing within a week. Air Small Packet takes between 1-3 weeks, Registered SAL 2-3 weeks. That's to the UK though and customs is variable.

Ok you lot, for my airbrush practice time I'm gonna make a HG GM Sniper II as seen above, but here's the deal: I'm colour blind so what the heck colour paints do I need for the two blues? I'm thinking Tamiya's black, white, German grey, red and blue should cover me for the regular general Gundam colours, but due to said colour-blindness I really don't want to have to mix my own stuff. Anything here is also an option. To me the light blue looks like the Tamiya X-14 Sky Blue and the dark blue being the X-4 Blue or the Vallejo 78 087 Dark Sea Blue (near the bottom).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HG Exia was honestly a pretty lovely kit all things considered. Again if you want it, go for it, but it really needs a lot of work to turn out alright. The HG Exia RII was better, and lets you build the original Exia out of it besides the GN strips, but it had some serious issues with stuff staying in place.

If you're looking for a kit to start with, you can't really go wrong with one of the 00 variants. Or something from AGE, those are nice and cheap. But really, you don't need to start with an ultra-high detail kit right off the bat. Nab the Miss Sazabi because you think it looks nifty, build it and have fun with it, then maybe come back later and repaint it.

EthanSteele posted:

To me the light blue looks like the Tamiya X-14 Sky Blue and the dark blue being the X-4 Blue or the Vallejo 78 087 Dark Sea Blue (near the bottom).

Unless you plan on mixing paints there's seriously no point trying to exactly match the original kit. Just go with whatever shades of blue you like.

Sharkopath posted:

I don't think I did a great job but I still like it a lot and I had fun.

Looks alright to me, though I admittedly can't see much since your shot is zoomed out. Is that a nub at the front of the gun there, or just part of the design?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 13, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKqs1JLDbp4

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I have a really strange question. Are there any decent model sets from Super Robot Wars? I know there's an Alteisen that's probably out of print for years (and thus an arm and a leg), and I think there's a Gespenst Mk. II one, that's probably just as expensive now, but I've no idea if they're any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Leper Colon V posted:

I have a really strange question. Are there any decent model sets from Super Robot Wars? I know there's an Alteisen that's probably out of print for years (and thus an arm and a leg), and I think there's a Gespenst Mk. II one, that's probably just as expensive now, but I've no idea if they're any good.

all the kotobukiya stuff is fine. Its just personal preference which robots you think are "good"
http://slist.amiami.com/top/search/list?s_keywords=super+robot+wars+kotobukiya&pagemax=20&getcnt=0&pagecnt=1

The Alteisen is constantly being reprinted and is always available at least as a backorder.
The mass production Gespenst is also readily available.
The version that everyone wants is on mandarake pretty much all the time, but you will pay extra.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 13, 2014

• Locked thread