Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I'm sort of baffled by this supposed "trap" in Yuureitou, which I'm still reading for god knows what reason...

Can't you guys just...wait until it gets low enough (since the ceiling is slowly going down) and get on the chair one by one and climb up into the next level? :downs: I guess maybe not everyone could climb out in time, but still...

Are you sure it's a hole to the next level and not just an opening with enough headroom for the chair?

Edit: Chapter 20 of Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi :black101:

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Gantz and Kaiji are kinda cool because of the co-operation/backstabbing thing they had going on. I didn't read much of Gantz but is there anything like them? Yuureitou seemed like it might be that due to the pages linked but apparently it goes downhill so.. :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You mean the death games part or the backstabbing part?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Gantz and Kaiji are kinda cool because of the co-operation/backstabbing thing they had going on. I didn't read much of Gantz but is there anything like them? Yuureitou seemed like it might be that due to the pages linked but apparently it goes downhill so.. :v:

Try Liar Game.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
You can try Tobaku Haouden Rei and its sequel too, another psychological challenges hosted by a crazy rich guy story, also by Fukumoto but not as drawn out and zawa zawa as Kaiji.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

ZerodotJander posted:

You can try Tobaku Haouden Rei and its sequel too, another psychological challenges hosted by a crazy rich guy story, also by Fukumoto but not as drawn out and zawa zawa as Kaiji.

Yeah, I recall hearing that the shounen magazine it was published in pretty much forced the author to adopt a faster pacing. Not exactly a negative thing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is it on hiatus right now? There haven't been any updates since October.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 5, 2014

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

RatHat posted:

Is it on hiatus right now? There haven't been any updates since October.

Are you talking about Tobaku Haouden Zero? Part 2 ended in October and Part 3 doesn't exist yet. I don't know if Fukumoto is taking a break from the series or if it was cancelled or what.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My only problem with Zero was that parts 1 and 2 are so detached from eachother, I'm guessing part 1 wasn't terribly popular or something.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Yuureitou seemed like it might be that due to the pages linked but apparently it goes downhill so.. :v:

Yuureitou gets really dumb and strange at parts and I love it for that. It's less of a mystery suspense thriller and even less of a serious psychological mindgame manga than it is a camp and fun adventure that goes in all sorts of crazy directions.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Ch. 49 of the Arms Peddler, Garami vs. the giant ant person.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Looks like the Naoki Urasawa thread dropped off, so here's as good a place as any to point out that in December Viz Signature will be publishing Master Keaton.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh nice! I've read a good bit of Master Keaton but not anywhere near all of it so I'll probably pick those up at some point.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Guess what's back from the dead?

That's right, it's Crime and Punishment, gently caress yes!

After i think JManga licensed this, the previous translator (the one doing Boys on the Run, btw) stopped translating this.. A sad day, especially because JManga didn't even let me pay to continue reading. It went under a while after anyways, but the translator (who was really good and put a lot of thought into what he does and why) said he had no plans to pick up back up again. An even sadder day.

But when i went looking for more Dowman Sayman, i stumbled across the page of someone who apparently picked this back up. Haven't checked the translation for quality yet, but i'm so pumped for it anyways. Gotta dig out the first 4 volume scans and get back up to speed.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Any sports buffs following Last Inning?

Saitama Private Academy's baseball club won Koshien 30 years ago, but has fallen to a shadow of its former self and faces disbandment when the school's parent company eyeballs its baseball field as good land for condos. They're given a one-year stay of execution on the condition the club reach Koshien in that time - a tall order, considering they're worthless - but the desperate principal recruits the best man for the job, in the form of a brilliant but controversial former team captain who's since become a swindling salesman. He's big on sabermetrics, mind games, and generally anything that can make the impossible possible.

It's all tropes you've seen before (did I mention the coach pretends to hate baseball, and initially refuses the job??) but the author's combination of hot-blooded baseball and cold-blooded moneyball hits all the right notes and the tension in the games is nail-biting.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

tomanton posted:

Saitama Private Academy's baseball club won Koshien 30 years ago, but has fallen to a shadow of its former self and faces disbandment when the school's parent company eyeballs its baseball field as good land for condos. They're given a one-year stay of execution on the condition the club reach Koshien in that time - a tall order, considering they're worthless - but the desperate principal recruits the best man for the job, in the form of a brilliant but controversial former team captain who's since become a swindling salesman. He's big on sabermetrics, mind games, and generally anything that can make the impossible possible.

It's all tropes you've seen before (did I mention the coach pretends to hate baseball, and initially refuses the job??) but the author's combination of hot-blooded baseball and cold-blooded moneyball hits all the right notes and the tension in the games is nail-biting.

I don't play or even follow real life sports but I'm a huge sucker for sports manga. I'll definitely check this out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

tomanton posted:

I had posted this too a couple months back. Been following it for 2 years or so now and it's been consistently enjoyable. Definitely recommend checking it out if you remotely like sports manga. Not fanservicey either which is nice.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I've been reading Homunculus and think it's pretty cool. I have a question for those who have finished it, though:
I really enjoyed the first storyline with the yakuza boss, but the extended psychosexual schoolgirl rape scene has put me off. What I want to know is if that sets the tone for the rest of the manga or if it goes back to focusing on different people with interesting homunculi?

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 12, 2014

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Chas McGill posted:

I've been reading Homunculus and think it's pretty cool. I have a question for those who have finished it, though:
I really enjoyed the first storyline with the yakuza boss, but the extended pschyosexual schoolgirl rape scene has put me off. What I want to know is if that sets the tone for the rest of the manga or if it goes back to focusing on different people with interesting homunculi?

I recall it gets steadily worse and worse although more boring than perverted, I'd cut my losses and move on

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Shame, since I like the art and the concept a lot. I can definitely detect a downward trend, though.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Shame, since I like the art and the concept a lot. I can definitely detect a downward trend, though.

I enjoyed the hell out of that series, you ought to give it a read. It can be a bit uneven but on the whole it is an excellent manga. Some of the best characterization of any manga I have read.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chas McGill posted:

It's a tough one but it's short enough that I'd say just power through. You might enjoy the rest.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

furiouskoala posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of that series, you ought to give it a read. It can be a bit uneven but on the whole it is an excellent manga. Some of the best characterization of any manga I have read.
Agreed. There are definitely weird and uneven parts with Homunculus but overall it's a series that is definitely worth the read.

p.s. to whoever recommended Crime and Punishment, hot pick, it's really awesome so far.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 13, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Sentou-Hakai-Gakuen-Dangerous

This is just a generic trashy manga, but it has me wondering if every major character will end up with testicle-related powers.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Breaky posted:

It's a tough one but it's short enough that I'd say just power through. You might enjoy the rest.

Breaky posted:

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Agreed. There are definitely weird and uneven parts with Homunculus but overall it's a series that is definitely worth the read.

OK. I've kept going and I'm enjoying learning a bit more about the protagonist's past. The art is phenomenal as well. Need to check out what else the author has worked on.

Also, newsflash: the guy translating Cooking Papa has started up again, hope he's able to keep it up.

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

OK. I've kept going and I'm enjoying learning a bit more about the protagonist's past. The art is phenomenal as well. Need to check out what else the author has worked on.

You probably don't. Off the top of my head, Hideo Yamamoto also did Ichi the Killer and The Campaign to End Prostitution.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Some new chapters of Dorohedoro are out, I forget whether it's kosher to link or not so I won't risk it. Goddamn I want an anime series of this just to see them animate a bunch of severed heads talking and BBQing like it ain't no thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Immortal Hounds chapter is out, and Mama is creepy. Kenzaki's a Good Cop, so it'll be interesting to see how Windchime handles her duty. If she just completely bungles trying to hit on him because she's never even thought to love someone, that would be the best. Probably a huge bummer just from what that says about her backstory, but it'd probably be amusing for a bit before getting back to grimness.

Also, :butt:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Captain Invictus posted:

New Immortal Hounds chapter is out, and Mama is creepy. Kenzaki's a Good Cop, so it'll be interesting to see how Windchime handles her duty. If she just completely bungles trying to hit on him because she's never even thought to love someone, that would be the best. Probably a huge bummer just from what that says about her backstory, but it'd probably be amusing for a bit before getting back to grimness.

You'd think that if they wanted to deal with someone, they'd do something like sealing them in concrete until they die of old age. Infecting someone else seems like the most finicky, time-consuming business imaginable.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/03/19/ah-my-goddess-manga-ending-announced

quote:

"Ah! My Goddess" Manga Ending Announced

Final chapter set to be published in June issue of "Afternoon," on sale next month

Kōsuke Fujishima's long running manga Ah! My Goddess! (or Oh My Goddess!) finally has an end an sight, with the 1998 magic girlfriend series set to wrap up in the June issue of Afternoon, on sale April 25th. The upcoming magazine will also feature an important announcement concerning the issue.

The 48th and final volume, on sale July 25th, with feature an audio drama, artbook and special box with its limited edition.

Dark Horse's release of the series is America's longest running manga.

End of a loving era! Now for the biggest question of all, will the long suffering couple finally get married? Will Skuld die in the last issue? Who the hell knows.

From 1994 until now holy crap...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
1994? AMG has been around since 1988. Also ANN said it'd be April, so I wonder which it is.

I've posted about it a bit and yeah it's kind of surreal to see it finally ending (and equally surreal for other people who didn't even realize it was still going). That said it seems pretty well poised to end well; there aren't any loose ends left and the arc has felt like an endgame for about a year now. I think we can expect 3-4 more chapters which should be plenty. The last one might even be bigger than usual because I don't think there are enough chapters to fill a whole volume.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Nate RFB posted:

(and equally surreal for other people who didn't even realize it was still going)

Yeah, holy poo poo, I assumed it was already complete when I stumbled across it in high school and that whatever wasn't done was just untranslated.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
It was available in English prior to 1994?

Well yeah I guess if you count the original release then 1988 but regardless that's crazy long.

Funny how I remember that it was one of my favorite titles in the library as a kid and now that I'm an adult I'm a librarian and looking to buy it for the institution.....

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Captain Invictus posted:

Uh what does that strap have to do with knowing windchime's face? How does he not know she's his coworker? Where did I miss this doubtlessly retarded plotpoint. Also why would they need to infect him with the virus? Just seal him in a metal drum and drop him in the sea.

Relin fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 21, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's some sort of sci-fi gadget that obscures her face.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Insane Totoro posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/03/19/ah-my-goddess-manga-ending-announced

End of a loving era! Now for the biggest question of all, will the long suffering couple finally get married? Will Skuld die in the last issue? Who the hell knows.

From 1994 1988 until now holy crap...

And it has been complete crap since 1994, at least. Luckily Jojo and Berserk are still here (Berserk updates are in our hearts).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kotonoba Drive Chapter 3

:ghost:

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Liar Game is back from it's Hiatus and starts it presumely last arc.

Liar Game 170

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fist of the North Banker updated again.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Misappropriation-Investigator-Nakabo-Rintaro/Vol-001-Ch-003-Read-Online?id=191458

He sure has a thing about his parents...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Breaky posted:

Fist of the North Banker updated again.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Misappropriation-Investigator-Nakabo-Rintaro/Vol-001-Ch-003-Read-Online?id=191458

He sure has a thing about his parents...

I have to say I just love his art because it makes everything so abusrb. "Oh yeah let's mess with the dude thats almost 7 feet tall and pure muscle. He is clearly just a meek banker :v:"