Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kaujot posted:

Didn't see this mentioned, but EG finally realized that Floe did almost nothing for them in tournaments and have released him from the team.

drat, that really kills their Soul Calibur II depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I always thought Floe was just on the team to be Justin's training partner since he plays basically every character in every game at a pretty high level.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
In one ill advised move EG loses both the Guy and the Boshy

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Do Justin and Floe still live together? That's kind of awkward...

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kaujot posted:

Didn't see this mentioned, but EG finally realized that Floe did almost nothing for them in tournaments and have released him from the team.

I always heard that his expertise was in 3d fighters, but I cant seem to remember him winning any. The only thing I can remember about him is getting top 8s on game's launch weeks. When was his prime, vanilla SF4?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Fauxtool posted:

I always heard that his expertise was in 3d fighters, but I cant seem to remember him winning any. The only thing I can remember about him is getting top 8s on game's launch weeks. When was his prime, vanilla SF4?

He came in 3rd at SC2 at EVO2k3.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

He won a big national Soul Calibur II tournament in 2003 and placed 3rd at Evo the same year. So, 2003.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This sounds like something out of fanfiction.

Well she is an Udon comic character. Thats basically Capcom-commissioned fanfiction, right?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

Well she is an Udon comic character. Thats basically Capcom-commissioned fanfiction, right?

Why would they take a character from some comic nobody reads when they could give us literally anything else? I'm guessing so they can recycle all of Cammy and Vega's animations?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Floe's only Evo top 8 showing was in Soul Calibur 2 in 2003 so maybe that's where the 3D idea came from. He's gotten top 16-32 or so a few times at Evo in SF4 games. I don't know when to say his prime was but he's been known as a strong player since the early 2000s that regularly chokes in tournaments.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Nativity In Black posted:

I was really bored watching Melee last year and it seemed to last forever. But whatever, I'll probably do what I did last year and drink whiskey and find other poo poo to do.

I really won't mind Melee's return, but they seriously need to reduce the stocks and shorten the match timer because Jesus loving Christ. The only way it could get any worse would be if they had button checks.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Broken Loose posted:

I really won't mind Melee's return, but they seriously need to reduce the stocks and shorten the match timer because Jesus loving Christ. The only way it could get any worse would be if they had button checks.

It's unwatchable at this speed. I don't know how a 5 stock 1v1 no items match that just goes on forever is as hype as everyone has been trying to convince me. :sigh: I don't hate Smash but I definitely hated it at Evo last year. Painfully boring.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
They should just run Doubles because it's significantly faster and probably more exciting for people who don't play the game.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Changing the decade(+) old rules for spectators' sake when it was the 2nd most viewed game at EVO last year and Smash-only tournament streams are getting pretty big numbers now is pretty much the most backwards thing. Melee does run slower on finals day, but that's just the nature of certain games vs other games. It's not that boring if you stop letting a lot of predetermined biases get in the way of how you view it. The reason it's "boring" to some people is because they have preconceived notions about competitive Smash and because they don't have any investment into the "narratives" of the competitive scene. That's not a good reason to make them play with lovely rules.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Caitlin posted:

It's unwatchable at this speed. I don't know how a 5 stock 1v1 no items match that just goes on forever is as hype as everyone has been trying to convince me. :sigh: I don't hate Smash but I definitely hated it at Evo last year. Painfully boring.

Even 4-stock is too long, and while 3-stock would be less jarring of a change it's easy to make the connection to SF rounds and put the fucker on 2-stock. Melee isn't so incredibly random of a game that 2-stock would ruin tournament results, especially given 2/3 sets, double elimination, and the fact that a significant amount of Smash tournaments have round robin pools. 3-stock would be understandable and still an improvement. Anything larger than that and you make the existence of extra lives/rounds meaningless.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Even 4-stock is too long, and while 3-stock would be less jarring of a change it's easy to make the connection to SF rounds and put the fucker on 2-stock. Melee isn't so incredibly random of a game that 2-stock would ruin tournament results, especially given 2/3 sets, double elimination, and the fact that a significant amount of Smash tournaments have round robin pools. 3-stock would be understandable and still an improvement. Anything larger than that and you make the existence of extra lives/rounds meaningless.

You literally don't know anything about the game. 2 stock would be massively different, and 3 stock pretty different as well. Stocks aren't analogous to rounds. It's not about it being random, it's about it being a completely different game strategically to the one they've been playing for 13 years. Also, Smash tournaments are able to run round-robin pools mostly because they generally have a ton of setups because CRTs are cheap. They're switching away from that now that they have more people than can sustain that.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
TBH I don't really see why Smash taking a while is a bad thing (other than you don't like it). I actually like longer amounts of game play beacuse it generally means there's less chance of someone being randomed out. I wish more FGs had more game time, at least the faster paced ones like ST and GG.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Yo brett smash is lame and bad.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Let's not have "the" Smash argument. Arguing about gameplay time is ok I think but we banned the argument from the regular fighting game thread for a reason.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Can we agree that it's at the very least totally and utterly ridiculous that Evo practically has to beg Ninty to be able to run it? Not only is it just a snooze fest to watch, begging to run old games when they can use the hype whenever they can get it right now (I say that as a big Ninty loyalist) is farcical at best.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

'Ninty'? What the gently caress?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Nativity In Black posted:

I was really bored watching Melee last year and it seemed to last forever.

I'm just hoping the people at EVO get their poo poo together and ban wobbling. That poo poo was such a hype-murderer throughout the entire tournament.

"oh look he got into place now all he has to do is mash A for a minute of my life I'll never get back for a guaranteed kill what high level play I am observing here" - repeat a bunch of times

The Smash community is no stranger to banning poo poo so why that nonsense got into the EVO tournament I will never know.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

'Ninty'? What the gently caress?

Have you really not heard anyone call Nintendo, "Ninty" before? It's common enough.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Why would they take a character from some comic nobody reads when they could give us literally anything else? I'm guessing so they can recycle all of Cammy and Vega's animations?

Pretty much, yeah. Of course that doesn't mean she'll actually play like either character, but not having to mode her from scratch is a HUGE time saver.

And besides, since nobody reads the comic then she's technically totally new! :v:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I'm just hoping the people at EVO get their poo poo together and ban wobbling. That poo poo was such a hype-murderer throughout the entire tournament.

Wobbling owns and makes Ice Climbers actually interesting from a gameplay standpoint.

It's legitimately one of the most interesting parts of Smash. The grappler is the Eddie of the game, which means that the most mechanically complex character manages to be the archetype that dominates at lowers level of play in all sorts of other games because of their mechanical simplicity. This completely diminishes the frustration aspect of entry level play. More games need Ice Climbers.

Anything that doesn't deteriorate gameplay balance, especially something that has piles of counterplay, should remain in the game. Oh no, a guy got grabbed and lost 1/4th of his effective life or whatever. That's how grapplers work, and Ice Climbers has more legitimate ways to deal with the grappler part than any other grappler while also being harder to play. If you hate wobbling you hate good game design. Also, it's over super fast on top of that!

anime was right fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 12, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

Wobbling owns and makes Ice Climbers actually interesting from a gameplay standpoint.

It's legitimately one of the most interesting parts of Smash.

An infinite is rarely interesting and I completely can't interpret the rest of your post in any meaningful fashion.

Wobbling is poo poo. One grab into instant death by simply mashing A just isn't interesting to watch, at least ST T.Hawk's throw loop takes a good amount of dexterity to continue once you get it started.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

An infinite is rarely interesting and I completely can't interpret the rest of your post in any meaningful fashion.

Wobbling is poo poo. One grab into instant death by simply mashing A just isn't interesting to watch, at least ST T.Hawk's throw loop takes a good amount of dexterity to continue once you get it started.

It's an infinite you can stop from happening beforehand and the counterplay isn't just "don't get hit", takes 20 seconds at maximum (lets ban every infinite ever in this case), and I'm sorry big words confuse you.

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World
Battle circuit tonight will be on http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby if anyone is looking for it.

edit: Also I'm planning on running a UMvCX style side tournament there, might be interesting if we get it going. http://ufgtus.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-x-special-rules-tournament

Boobs is Fun! fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 12, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

(lets ban every infinite ever in this case), and I'm sorry big words confuse you.

Typically good fighting games just don't have infinites. Could also do without the passive aggressive bullshit.

Smash community bans a lot of stages because they cause infinites under the right circumstances, why this is stuff that gets banned and wobbling doesn't remains a mystery to me.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 12, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Typically good fighting games just don't have infinites.

Why you hating on MvC2, man.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Typically good fighting games just don't have infinites. Could also do without the passive aggressive bullshit.

You're right they don't just like Ice Climbers but I'll be happy to donate to a charity that helps cure blindness for your benefit, I'm sorry I wasn't aware.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

"oh look he got into place now all he has to do is mash A for a minute of my life I'll never get back for a guaranteed kill what high level play I am observing here" - repeat a bunch of times

The Smash community is no stranger to banning poo poo so why that nonsense got into the EVO tournament I will never know.

Holy poo poo :getout:. Wobbles was the best part of top 8 and I really wanted to see him win the whole thing.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007
Hype-murderer? Wobbling looks tight as hell and the crowd went nuts every time Wobbles landed it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tae posted:

Why you hating on MvC2, man.

MvC2 doesn't have true infinites (outside of certain tool-assisted combos).

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Guys all this other stuff that turns Fox from 3rd Strike Yun to ST Akuma + Ivan Ooze combined is completely analogous to letting 3s Urien be on Revision A instead of Revision B.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

Caitlin posted:

I felt the same way about KOF. It ran so drat long, and one really gets tired about seeing Mr. Karate and that other guy do the same stuff every round. I fully admit I know literally nothing about KOF though.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Jmcrofts posted:

Wobbles was the best part of top 8 and I really wanted to see him win the whole thing.
Me too. Watching on stream, the crowd went nuts anytime Wobbles got a grab which was my reaction at home. Ultradavid mentioned a conversation he had with Scar that basically came down to the Melee players hating Wobbling but all the non-Melee players loving it. Wobbles said afterward that he wasn't used to being cheered so much.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Boobs is Fun! posted:

Battle circuit tonight will be on http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby if anyone is looking for it.

edit: Also I'm planning on running a UMvCX style side tournament there, might be interesting if we get it going. http://ufgtus.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-x-special-rules-tournament

This sounds like fun.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008

Literally "I didn't even try to understand your argument, but I'm going to meaninglessly respond to it anyway."

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

VigilantePrime posted:

Literally "I didn't even try to understand your argument, but I'm going to meaninglessly respond to it anyway."

To be fair it was worded in a confusing way in like one sentence but if you can't contemplate why Wobbling is healthy compared to why stages are banned because Fox, then maybe you don't have the brain power to process big words IDK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I just want the Wii U/3DS Smash to be out and be good.