Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jesus

I was contacted by a consultancy company who wanted to set me up with a job in pharma - subcontracted to them, so I guess for less money than working direct, but I've been going along with it to get the experience and foot in the door in industry. It turns out they're complete clowns, with lass then a day to a phone interview they tell me they've screwed up and I need to go to Belgium (I'm in London) for a group interview with the client.

I obviously can't just drop my work (clinical work in a hospital) and go to a different country for a day. Do you think I can just contact the client company and ask to apply direct? I haven't signed a contract with the consultancy co to exclude me from doing anything like that.

This potential job isn't even for any more money than I'm currently getting, I was just considering it for the experience. But it's looking less and less worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

I have a question about references.

I've been at my current job for 2.5 years. It was my first job out of college - I've had a good run here, but recent changes have left me pretty unhappy in my position now and I'd like to move back up north to be near my family so I'm looking for jobs in Boston. My current job doesn't know I'm leaving, and I feel like it would be really awkward to ask my bosses for a reference while I'm still working here. Like, "hey, I want to quit, but while I'm looking can you be a reference for me while I still work here? But then I'll be peacing out."

So many online applications have reference fields that are mandatory and I'm not sure what to do. Can anyone offer some advice for this situation? I don't have any college professors I could use (I went to a giant state university with mostly online classes) or co-workers that left, they all still work here.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

the posted:

30 year old here, Physics degree. Been searching for a job for 4 months. I'm running out of income to pay the bills. Eventually I'm going to have to get a job anywhere to put food on the table, which will mean a coffee shop or something. Is this what I worked hard for?
Science is an insane racket unless you're working in petrochemical sciences or pharmaceuticals. Anything else usually means long hours at low pay until you become a highly-regarded post-doc. What are you trying to do with your degree?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

I obviously can't just drop my work (clinical work in a hospital) and go to a different country for a day. Do you think I can just contact the client company and ask to apply direct? I haven't signed a contract with the consultancy co to exclude me from doing anything like that.

The client company will have a contract saying they can't do that. Just tell the recruiter that you can't do that and give a list of times you're available.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Should I put my Masters on my resume when I'm looking for a lovely part-time anything job?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

WYA posted:

Should I put my Masters on my resume when I'm looking for a lovely part-time anything job?
Only if you were unemployed during that period. The Masters can price you out of the market easily, but the gap in employment looks worse.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Misogynist posted:

Science is an insane racket unless you're working in petrochemical sciences or pharmaceuticals. Anything else usually means long hours at low pay until you become a highly-regarded post-doc. What are you trying to do with your degree?

Analytics, stats, data science, programming (but not the software kind, more mathematical/numerical)

I've applied to more places than I can count. I've had three of them get to the interview stage, and only one of them lead to an offer, which I unfortunately had to decline due to personal reasons (fiancee and I like where we live, it was in Florida).

Despite the fact that I live near a technological mecca finding work has been a pain in the rear end.

the fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 10, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Separate post for a separate issue:

A friend of mine let me on to the fact that one of our old college roommates who we also went to highschool with, who I was in a wedding with for said friend, ended up starting a tech company. I looked him up, and it turns out he's the CTO of this company. On a whim, I checked the job listings, and wouldn't you know it, they have a position I qualify for.

I've read over and over that networking or "who you know" is the best way to find a job. I've tried getting up with this guy on LinkedIn/Facebook to say hello and subtly move towards the job, but he seems to either be busy or ignoring me (we haven't talked in awhile but were on good terms last I checked).

Should I go ahead and apply to this job before giving him the heads up? Is there a way I can somehow namedrop him in the cover letter or is that a terrible idea?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

the posted:

Analytics, stats, data science, programming (but not the software kind, more mathematical/numerical)

I've applied to more places than I can count. I've had three of them get to the interview stage, and only one of them lead to an offer, which I unfortunately had to decline due to personal reasons (fiancee and I like where we live, it was in Florida).

Despite the fact that I live near a technological mecca finding work has been a pain in the rear end.
First step would be to post that resume here and let people give you advice on it, I guess. If you got an offer on a third of the interviews you went on, I don't think you're doing too badly in that area.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

the posted:

Separate post for a separate issue:

A friend of mine let me on to the fact that one of our old college roommates who we also went to highschool with, who I was in a wedding with for said friend, ended up starting a tech company. I looked him up, and it turns out he's the CTO of this company. On a whim, I checked the job listings, and wouldn't you know it, they have a position I qualify for.

I've read over and over that networking or "who you know" is the best way to find a job. I've tried getting up with this guy on LinkedIn/Facebook to say hello and subtly move towards the job, but he seems to either be busy or ignoring me (we haven't talked in awhile but were on good terms last I checked).

Should I go ahead and apply to this job before giving him the heads up? Is there a way I can somehow namedrop him in the cover letter or is that a terrible idea?

have you explicitly mentioned the job? You might want to just say, "you're a cool guy, I like your company, I saw you have an opening, what up?" People can be really bad at catching subtly and if you're using LinkedIn or Facebook he might just not check it that often or respond to stuff there slowly.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Misogynist posted:

Only if you were unemployed during that period. The Masters can price you out of the market easily, but the gap in employment looks worse.

I can put that I was working as a Teaching Assistant instead, but I feel like that is going to look worse for some reason. It's so loving hard to find a good goddamn part time job with tons of job experience in a variety jobs, I need to start sucking some dicks/pussies

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Another calling etiquette question: I had an interview for a job that seemed very appealing last Monday, February 24. The interview went wonderfully and without a hitch and they said they'll for sure call me back. I'm not sure if they gave a timeframe (they may have said "next week," but I'm probably misremembering). As of today it has been two weeks since the interview. It's still probably too soon, but I'm getting anxious.

After how long (if at all) would be a good idea to give them a call/email and remind them that I exist?

EDIT:

WYA posted:

I can put that I was working as a Teaching Assistant instead, but I feel like that is going to look worse for some reason.

A big part of my resume is for my Teaching Assistant work. I was apprehensive about it at first, but I'm not exactly sure why. It can technically be considered a leadership position (or at least one that provides many leadership skills) and was a boon to my communication skills. Additionally, if you continue work in your graduate studies field, being in a position where you instruct concepts or procedures relevant to your field is pretty desirable experience to have.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 11, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

WYA posted:

I can put that I was working as a Teaching Assistant instead, but I feel like that is going to look worse for some reason. It's so loving hard to find a good goddamn part time job with tons of job experience in a variety jobs, I need to start sucking some dicks/pussies

I would assume if your teaching assistant years matched your school years the story is pretty self explanatory and I don't see how it would be a negative.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I want to move to a new area. Are potential employers likely to file my CV in the bin if the see my address is 200 miles away? I could give a relative's address.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

I want to move to a new area. Are potential employers likely to file my CV in the bin if the see my address is 200 miles away? I could give a relative's address.

Maybe. I'd list the relative's address to be safe.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Annoying young professional question here with a dumb rear end question:

So I just started in my new role at an awesome place last Monday. I got 19 days PTO (is this higher than average?) and I obviously don't accrue them immediately but still. My question is how long should I wait from getting hired to request time off? I know I was looking to leave at noon one Friday in later April and trying to take a few days off to go to Bonaroo in June. I mean I know I can take off but I really want to make a good impression and not be a pain the rear end to management.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

prezbuluskey posted:

Annoying young professional question here with a dumb rear end question:

So I just started in my new role at an awesome place last Monday. I got 19 days PTO (is this higher than average?) and I obviously don't accrue them immediately but still. My question is how long should I wait from getting hired to request time off? I know I was looking to leave at noon one Friday in later April and trying to take a few days off to go to Bonaroo in June. I mean I know I can take off but I really want to make a good impression and not be a pain the rear end to management.

It's totally fine to take a half day in April, and a few days off in June shouldn't be a problem. Unless it's one of those places that value your worth as an employee by how much time you spend at your desk, but those places are bad.

19 days is just shy of four weeks, so it's pretty good. I get fifteen.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Chaotic Flame posted:

What's the best way to inquire about travel assistance for an interview in another state, if they didn't mention it in the initial e-mail requesting an interview?

Just ask if there's travel assistance? Something more tactful? If this matters, it seems an intern is coordinating the e-mail while the person I interviewed with over the phone is out of the office until Tuesday.

Just pushing this back up since I never got a response.

I just sent my preferred interview date and am waiting to get confirmation that they received it. If they don't mention arranging travel then, I'll be asking. I just don't know if there's a best way to ask that question since I've never interviewed out of state before.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

Just pushing this back up since I never got a response.

I just sent my preferred interview date and am waiting to get confirmation that they received it. If they don't mention arranging travel then, I'll be asking. I just don't know if there's a best way to ask that question since I've never interviewed out of state before.

You should assume you're going to have to bankroll it yourself; if they are willing to offer travel assistance, they'll offer it when they confirm the interview date ("and to make arrangements for travel, you should do X").

If they aren't, asking will likely make you seem a little naive, unless you are applying for extremely senior or in-demand positions... in which case, they will be offering it to you.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Bisty Q. posted:

You should assume you're going to have to bankroll it yourself; if they are willing to offer travel assistance, they'll offer it when they confirm the interview date ("and to make arrangements for travel, you should do X").

If they aren't, asking will likely make you seem a little naive, unless you are applying for extremely senior or in-demand positions... in which case, they will be offering it to you.

Thanks. I guess having a lot of tech friends graduating soon colors expectations.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Take Lifeguard and Editor off? Maybe include my manual labor jobs I've left off of it?

For administrator jobs should I leave my Master's on for a bit more of a writing and communication focus?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 13, 2014

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Susical posted:

I have a question about references.

I've been at my current job for 2.5 years. It was my first job out of college - I've had a good run here, but recent changes have left me pretty unhappy in my position now and I'd like to move back up north to be near my family so I'm looking for jobs in Boston. My current job doesn't know I'm leaving, and I feel like it would be really awkward to ask my bosses for a reference while I'm still working here. Like, "hey, I want to quit, but while I'm looking can you be a reference for me while I still work here? But then I'll be peacing out."

So many online applications have reference fields that are mandatory and I'm not sure what to do. Can anyone offer some advice for this situation? I don't have any college professors I could use (I went to a giant state university with mostly online classes) or co-workers that left, they all still work here.

Anyone have any insight on this?

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Susical posted:

Are you definitely leaving? Like with or without a job? You could talk with your boss about it in advance. Just because 2 weeks is standard doesn't mean you have to stick to that, especially if you're leaving the area and not jumping across the street because a competitor threw you 10% more money.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

I definitely want to leave, but me leaving is hinging upon finding another job. I could definitely tell my boss I'm leaving but who knows how long until I actually find a job I want. I feel like that would be strange/awkward to ask my boss for a reference because I'm leaving and then stick around for, who knows, maybe a couple months?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Susical posted:

standard procedure is they don't call until you've accepted an offer (with the contingent they cancel the offer if the references are really negative). Also, due to laws or fear of lawsuits, many companies will only confirm you worked there and maybe like your title or basic info.

Most job applications mention they won't call until you've accepted but if they don't... IDK might get awkward.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah but what about applications online that have a required field for references and you have to fill it out?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Susical posted:

Yeah but what about applications online that have a required field for references and you have to fill it out?

leave it blank or type in something along the lines of 'available upon request'

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
If I am sending a cover letter to a lady and am not sure if she is married the convention is to always use Ms. and not Mrs., right?

edit: NM did a bit of research and she has a PhD, problem solved

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 12, 2014

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Misogynist posted:

If you're not already working in the field, people are going to lowball you left and right because they can. Once you're established and don't come across like you actually need the job you're interviewing for, you can name your own salary.

Sorry, meant to ask you about this a couple pages back.

By "established", do you mean "have a career in the field"? I'm figure that is what you mean, but thought I'd check to be sure.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Zarin posted:

Sorry, meant to ask you about this a couple pages back.

By "established", do you mean "have a career in the field"? I'm figure that is what you mean, but thought I'd check to be sure.
Yeah, it's just basic supply and demand. If you have everything riding on one job opportunity, that one job will often try to take advantage of you. When you don't need the job, you have more leverage to take risks on any one of them.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I have a question about interviewing after being fired, can anyone help?

I was a co-op engineering student at an automotive company in MI for the previous 2 years. After finishing my degree, I was brought on as a full-time project engineer at the beginning of the year. Two weeks ago, I injured myself at work (crushed my fingertip helping a co-worker), and failed the automatic drug screening on account of the pot & brownies I had the saturday prior at a party with some college friends. I was then terminated by HR against the wishes of my direct supervisor and hiss boss, the VP of R&D. They've both promised me outstanding references, and I have an interview lined up, but I don't know how to explain why I left my previous job. My instinct is to honestly answer when asked, but I have friends telling me that under no circumstances should I do that, and also suggesting that I make no mention of being made full time, and instead pretend that I left because my internship was over. I'm loathe to do this, just because imo fudging the facts just makes things harder to deal with in the long run.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Groper posted:

I have a question about interviewing after being fired, can anyone help?

I was a co-op engineering student at an automotive company in MI for the previous 2 years. After finishing my degree, I was brought on as a full-time project engineer at the beginning of the year. Two weeks ago, I injured myself at work (crushed my fingertip helping a co-worker), and failed the automatic drug screening on account of the pot & brownies I had the saturday prior at a party with some college friends. I was then terminated by HR against the wishes of my direct supervisor and hiss boss, the VP of R&D. They've both promised me outstanding references, and I have an interview lined up, but I don't know how to explain why I left my previous job. My instinct is to honestly answer when asked, but I have friends telling me that under no circumstances should I do that, and also suggesting that I make no mention of being made full time, and instead pretend that I left because my internship was over. I'm loathe to do this, just because imo fudging the facts just makes things harder to deal with in the long run.
Most companies have policies against employees giving references for other employees who have been terminated. If you do use them as references, be careful, because you could land them in hot water if they're contacted the wrong way. Don't give work numbers for either of them.

Don't lie during your job interview. When they do a background check, they will call to perform employment verification. This will usually include, at a minimum, your job title, full-time/part-time status, and months of employment. Laws vary by state, but an employer is generally permitted to disclose whether you left the company on good terms or were terminated, though they often won't unless they're directly asked. They are extremely unlikely to tell your new prospective employer what specific policy you violated, so you can mention that it was because of a single company policy violation and not because of performance.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 13, 2014

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
I graduated a few years ago and worked abroad right after graduation. Now I'm back in the US and I've been looking for jobs that would hopefully involve using Chinese language skills in logistics such as purchasing, or continuing in marketing. Resume if anyone has input: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102814889/SAResumeCritique.docx

I've gotten 3 interviews so far (didn't progress from the first 2, the third was only yesterday) but I'd like to see more. Specifically I'm having difficulty in thinking of some applicable metrics as a tech writer so I can make it more achievement and less task based.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm at about month 5 of unemployment, but luckily (I think), I picked up a couple small contracts for one-off jobs to pad out my resume, maybe 50 hours total. I'll leave that vague unless they ask about it.
I'm also trying to gloss over that my last (and only after graduating) job isn't directly applicable to my education or desired job. Because of this, there are just a bunch of technologies/processes I know in the job description, but they probably won't be applicable to the new industry.
The real takeaway from the job, I guess, is that I can work hard, and learn new technologies quickly. And can also manage teams. I've got the last part, but how do I quantify the first bit?

For reference, I'm looking for an electrical engineering (technologist) job that involves jumping between designing and building a little. That means maybe a startup or just past a startup, I think.

I wouldn't mind some pointers on my resume, please, if anyone is willing:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3_kCL0lNAM9VXYzY2lVdTg4aDQ/edit?usp=sharing

In particular, I don't think that table really works, but I'm not sure how to make it pretty.

And how do we feel about headhunters? The whole thing feels a little scummy, but I guess they can be useful for companies that just want someone right now without worrying about the details. How do I go about finding a good one to work for me?

During job negotiations, what's on the table for discussion? Salary, yeah, but vacation time? Specific benefits? I don't know how much companies like to tailor their plans for their employees, or if it's more of a "here's your standard employee package, but also you get $x/year"

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

ante posted:

I'm at about month 5 of unemployment, but luckily (I think), I picked up a couple small contracts for one-off jobs to pad out my resume, maybe 50 hours total. I'll leave that vague unless they ask about it.
I'm also trying to gloss over that my last (and only after graduating) job isn't directly applicable to my education or desired job. Because of this, there are just a bunch of technologies/processes I know in the job description, but they probably won't be applicable to the new industry.
The real takeaway from the job, I guess, is that I can work hard, and learn new technologies quickly. And can also manage teams. I've got the last part, but how do I quantify the first bit?

For reference, I'm looking for an electrical engineering (technologist) job that involves jumping between designing and building a little. That means maybe a startup or just past a startup, I think.

I wouldn't mind some pointers on my resume, please, if anyone is willing:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3_kCL0lNAM9VXYzY2lVdTg4aDQ/edit?usp=sharing

In particular, I don't think that table really works, but I'm not sure how to make it pretty.

And how do we feel about headhunters? The whole thing feels a little scummy, but I guess they can be useful for companies that just want someone right now without worrying about the details. How do I go about finding a good one to work for me?

During job negotiations, what's on the table for discussion? Salary, yeah, but vacation time? Specific benefits? I don't know how much companies like to tailor their plans for their employees, or if it's more of a "here's your standard employee package, but also you get $x/year"

I'm just guy, so take this as whatever:

I don't like the header. It eats up a ton of room; I use a much more streamlined one:

I think the table can work, but for whatever reason my eyes were trying to read it horizontally at first, which didn't make sense until I studied it more. Maybe if you made the header of each column the same color as the column , or drew an outside box around each column or something, it would quickly be more obvious that they were meant to be read vertically.
EDIT: forgot that colors are a bad idea because chances are the joker in charge of compiling the resumes has his printer set to grayscale only and it wouldn't look right. Unless you take the time to choose colors that look quite distinct from each other in grayscale as well but eh, boxes might be better.

You call that section "Summary of Qualifications", but I think typically a Summary of Qualifications is a segment that is tailored specifically for the job posting illustrating how you meet the criteria. That is more of a "Computer and Software Skills" section, perhaps?

Your education doesn't say what level of degree you earned. I assume Bachelor, but probably shouldn't leave that up to chance.

Instead of having the institution as a bullet point, use the same formatting that you do for an employer below. You could then italicize the degree earned directly below to help it stand out from the bullet points; same with the position titles. (The key here is to mirror the formatting throughout the document)

Your start and end dates might look better if they were on one line. Instead of writing the full month, you can just use the first 3 letters to save space.

Personal preference, but I like to use a different (usually square) bullet for sub-bullets for the sake of differentiation.

Again, I'm just a guy, and if you ask X number of guys, you'll get X number of different opinions on how a resume should look. Take what suits your fancy and leave the rest.

Also, grats on EEC. I wasted 3 years of my life beating my head against that wall. (I went a different route and looking back I should have returned to EEC but eh whatever #YOLO etc. etc.)

Zarin fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 14, 2014

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That's really helpful, thanks.

I've been toying around more with table styles, and I'm happiest with no coloured cells at all. In Microsoft Word, years ago, I was using internal cell borders with no border on the outside of the table which I still think is the best it could look, but Google Docs can't do that.

But yeah, I've asked a bunch of people for help and am cherry-picking everything and putting it all together. I'm pretty sick of unemployment.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
What’s the best way to list temping history on a resume?

My two most recent jobs were through temp agencies. At those temp agencies, I had several long-term placements at different organizations (hospitals, college depts, etc), and I’m really not sure what the best way to list that is?

Currently I’m using this format —

TEMP AGENCY - dates
Specific Placement #1 - dates of placement
-Duties, programs used, etc.
Specific Placement #2 - dates of placement
-Duties, programs used, etc.

I think it gives a better overview of my work history, but it already takes up so much room. Even listing just 1 or 2 duties for each placement takes up over 2/3 of a page!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Had an one-on-one interview, was offered a second interview (panel) on the spot. I want to send a thank you letter to the interviewer, and wanted to run this by to make sure it sounded okay. I know it's more or less a formality, but this is for a big company with lots of positions that I would like to work for and the more bridges I can build out of this, the better.

quote:

Person,

I wanted to thank you for taking time out of your day to interview me. I look forward to meeting with you again, and the next steps towards joining Company. I am excited to be given this opportunity to speak with you and the hiring managers regarding how I can help Company continue to be an industry leader in innovation and performance.

I feel with my skills in 3D drafting with Catia and AutoCAD, combined with my experiences, I will be able to hit the ground running and quickly prove myself an invaluable and welcome addition to the Company team.

If there is anything you need from me, please let me know.

Thank you,

Me

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Had an one-on-one interview, was offered a second interview (panel) on the spot. I want to send a thank you letter to the interviewer, and wanted to run this by to make sure it sounded okay. I know it's more or less a formality, but this is for a big company with lots of positions that I would like to work for and the more bridges I can build out of this, the better.

It's a perfectly perfunctory yawnfest of a thank-you note that the person will read and go "that's nice" and then immediately delete, so if that's what you were going for, good job.

If not, try including something specific that you talked about and provide an insightful comment about it. Something to show you actually thought about the interview/job and didn't just prepare this letter last year and send it to every place you interview at. Perhaps something like "I was glad to talk to you about your problems with the chocolate teapot injection mold maker. It was very gratifying to get an inside look at the chocolate teapot industry and I'm excited to move forward in the process and to potentially be able to help you tackle these issues."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Bisty Q. posted:

It's a perfectly perfunctory yawnfest of a thank-you note that the person will read and go "that's nice" and then immediately delete, so if that's what you were going for, good job.

If not, try including something specific that you talked about and provide an insightful comment about it. Something to show you actually thought about the interview/job and didn't just prepare this letter last year and send it to every place you interview at. Perhaps something like "I was glad to talk to you about your problems with the chocolate teapot injection mold maker. It was very gratifying to get an inside look at the chocolate teapot industry and I'm excited to move forward in the process and to potentially be able to help you tackle these issues."

There weren't too many specifics discussed at this interview. Like, I know the position is CAD work, but not what I will be designing (obviously I know what the company makes, their main product, but how will my work tie into that, I don't know). The company uses a kind of "in-house outsourced" staffing agency (the staffing agency's HQ is actually inside the company's HQ), and this interview was with their recruiter, more or less. (Basic goal of this interview was to prove that I was a functional human being, and could reliably show up to work on time in proper attire, pretty much). Though the interviewer did mention about the position/department growing, so maybe taking a bit from what you said to say something like "I was glad to talk with you about Company expanding their department. I'm excited to move forward in the process and to potentially be part of an industry leading team that is growing."

Would it be smart to tie in something related to the fact that a few different members of my family have worked for this company, which is part of the reason I'd like to work for them? Or would that be stupid? It'd probably be stupid wouldn't it?