Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

Well they're going to blow ten million more on free agents, and looking at what's available, Mack makes more sense. There's not a safety who's a longterm starter left, and the wideouts available wouldn't be worth splurging. Mack would be.

The thing is, the structure of this contract will have to be funky (or a huge overpay) to keep the Browns from matching. I'd really rather overpay for Mack than Decker though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Ozu posted:

Whoops. I hate people who separate their comments with ellipses.

He's right though. Woodley would fit real nicely into the Raider D

Why the hell are the Chiefs paying an ILB 3 million a year?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Let the character assassination....... BEGIN

quote:

Sources tell the Charlotte Observer that Panthers GM Dave Gettleman views Steve Smith as a "distraction," and wants to turn the locker room over to Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

excidium posted:

KC signs Joe Mays to 2 years 6 mil. Bleh.

Worth noting that Schwartz only got 4mil a year. Fire John Dorsey.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Parmesan Basil posted:

Who the gently caress is Joe Mays?

Former Eagles linebacker/special teamer drafted in the sixth round. His claim to fame is that he was our starting MLB for awhile after Stewart Bradley went down with a knee injury. He was a good special teamer and not a disaster to sub in for a few snaps per game, but totally incapable of starting.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
KC also apparently signing Jeff Linkenbach. How terrible is he?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Quest For Glory II posted:

God forbid you have a passionate team leader who's probably the most notable player in franchise history.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Dear god Ozzie please get Mack

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

excidium posted:

He was an undrafted free agent that the Colts let go. You remember Luck getting sacked all the time and running away all the other times, well you get the picture.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

excidium posted:

4 seasons, 5 tackles

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

IcePhoenix posted:

Are you surprised by this? That's been their MO for like the last ten years.

Not really, but Thompson said a few things that made it seem more likely this year.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

excidium posted:

He's okay for depth. Not a guy you want starting more than one game in a row.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
So we can't get a starting guard but we can drop a bunch of cash on some lovely depth guys. Good choices all around.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

excidium posted:

He's strictly a backup, but he's pretty versatile and can fill in at guard or tackle. If he's starting for you it's bad news, but as a reserve lineman he's good to have around.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah, there just aren't any safeties left on the market worth big money, and Grigson seems to prefer veteran Olinemen as his starters. I had been advocating going after EDS, but if Mack is there for the taking then he's absolutely worth a strong push. Drafting a FS in the second seems pretty likely at this point.

Edit:

Stephen Holder @HolderStephen · 4m
So, on Alex Mack... It's murky, and I don't know how realistic it is, but I hear you would be wise to not ignore the smoke. #Colts

Ugh, loving Pagano and his AFC North fetish. I really want Mack.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ShakeZula posted:

He's strictly a backup, but he's pretty versatile and can fill in at guard or tackle. If he's starting for you it's bad news, but as a reserve lineman he's good to have around.

Yeah, I'm leaning to bad news here.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Linkenbach is probably reserve, given that the Chiefs reserve OL from last season are now starters

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 23s
Jets source: "I hope Decker gets out of the building before Idzik gets talked into overpaying for him." #nyj

The Jets aren't a clown show AT ALL.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

Linkenbach is probably reserve, given that the Chiefs reserve OL from last season are now starters

Bad news one way or the other then.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Jacoby Jones' cap hit this year will only be ~1.85mil. That's not bad at all.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 23s
Jets source: "I hope Decker gets out of the building before Idzik gets talked into overpaying for him." #nyj

The Jets aren't a clown show AT ALL.
Source: Clyde Gates

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Of Gettleman, maybe. Steve Smith is a "distraction" in the sense that he's in the sentence "Cam has loving no receivers to throw the ball to except Steve Smith who's somehow still very good despite being pretty tiny and having lost a step due to age and past injury" so I guess he's distracting from how good Cam is for having any sort of passing yardage at all in his career?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Sour Diesel posted:

Jacoby Jones' cap hit this year will only be ~1.85mil. That's not bad at all.

It isn't but how backloaded is the contract? He's definitely worth 2mpy.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Revis on the Pats would suck but its not like the Jets have a receiver that needs to get shut down.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bobby2times posted:

Revis on the Pats would suck but its not like the Jets have a receiver that needs to get shut down.

Somehow that doesn't make me feel any better about it...

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Doltos posted:

What kind of scrub rear end organization leaves the underlines in for contracts?

There's a template for the NFL contract in the 2011 NFL CBA. Teams basically have to use that for every contract.

Check out page 256:
http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

Most of the documents/forms are included in the appendix of the 2011 NFL CBA.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Giants 2/$8m offer to LB O'Brien Schofield has been nullified as he failed a physical.

Bill Barnwell raises a meaty fist in triumph at the news.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

Ozu posted:

Source: Clyde Gates

Jeremy Kerley isn't letting any overpaid FA take away his spot as the Jets WR1. :twisted:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Blitz7x posted:

Its only a transitional tag iirc

edit: Basically the Colts can make an offer, but the Browns have the right to match it

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the tag worked like this

Another team can make an offer, and the Browns can match. If the player leaves anyway, then that original team gets a first

Am I making this up?

Vengarr posted:

Former Eagles linebacker/special teamer drafted in the sixth round. His claim to fame is that he was our starting MLB for awhile after Stewart Bradley went down with a knee injury. He was a good special teamer and not a disaster to sub in for a few snaps per game, but totally incapable of starting.

He's (Joe Mays) also a former Bronco in 2012 who was the LB that hit Schaub late and partially tore the bottoms of both of his ears from the force of his helmet coming off. Which was probably awkward when he became a Texan in 2013. He was pretty not terrible for the Texans as a starter, but nothing special

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
Redskins signed a sidegrade Guard that is going to cost them more than any of their other linemen not counting Trent Williams.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
All these Free Agents flocking to Tampa for the new uniform!

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

quote:

Asked if Josh McCown would be his quarterback for the 2014 season, Bucs coach Lovie Smith replied "yes, he is."

Presented without comment.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

superaielman posted:

Jeremy Kerley isn't letting any overpaid FA take away his spot as the Jets WR1. :twisted:

Jeremy Kerley owns. Haters vacate.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Captain Munnerlyn and Henry Melton are both meeting with the Vikings on Thursday. Munnerlyn is only 25 and would be a big upgrade as a slot corner, though the Vikings would still need a starting RCB. Josh Robinson could fill that role, but I think it is likely that they'll draft a corner early in the draft. Melton would be brought in as DT depth and would presumably be looking for a short term deal.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Intruder posted:

Another team can make an offer, and the Browns can match. If the player leaves anyway, then that original team gets a first

Am I making this up?

I'm pretty sure the transition tag only allow the original team to meet any offer on the player.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Intruder posted:

Am I making this up?

Transition tag just gives the team a right to match any offer, but no compensation if they choose not to match.

I thought the new cba junked the transition tag?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Well hell, consider me corrected then. I thought the player could choose between the offers if the original team matched

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Former Detroit Lions Slot Receiver Josh McCown.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Intruder posted:

Am I making this up?

He's (Joe Mays) also a former Bronco in 2012 who was the LB that hit Schaub late and partially tore the bottoms of both of his ears from the force of his helmet coming off. Which was probably awkward when he became a Texan in 2013. He was pretty not terrible for the Texans as a starter, but nothing special

What you are thinking of is a non-exclusive franchise player, and it is two first round picks. A transitional tag is somewhat similar to a non exclusive franchise player, but the team gets nothing if it doesn't match the offer.

Edit: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Idzik knows the FA period started already right?

• Locked thread