Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

LordSaturn posted:

You should make it play the Manaless Dredge mirror.

Even better give it a Legacy Doomsday deck. I wonder if it would ever actually cast the spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I can't imagine them developing an AI that understands things that complicated. The DotP AI doesn't even Thought Scour itself despite having the reanimator Beacon and 6-drops in the same deck.

(Though I admit I did see it sac its own Torch Fiend to blow up its own 1-toughness artifact creature to deny Electrolyze any targets and thus the cantrip.)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vomax posted:

Even better give it a Legacy Doomsday deck. I wonder if it would ever actually cast the spell.

When you start a game against an AI it has a list of cards it doesn't play with well, Doomsday being one of them. Sometimes "doesn't play well" means "it doesn't cast it", sometimes it means "has awful strategy with it". I've seen it both ways, the only time the AI cast it, it was doomsday then tendrils for one :downs:

Thankfully the quest decks were made with the AI in mind and tend to not be obtuse storm decks. Weirdly enough I've seen an AI play ad nauseum I think (non-storm) and come out ahead. The AI does do some pretty hardcore stuff though, like above it also understands denial. Give it an LED though is giving it a loaded gun.

Fox of Stone posted:

So it's just like a real dredge mirror match. I hope the stoneblade mirror is the same, with mishra's factories swinging for 10 turns?

A real dredge mirror match would be an arms race to the first dread return without much swinging I don't think. Bridge from Below mutually assured destruction?

But yeah Forge is awesome and free and everyone should try it :)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mortimer posted:

But yeah Forge is awesome and free and everyone should try it :)

Trust me, I'm definitely downloading this when I get back home. As enjoyable as Duel of the Planeswalkers has been, it'd be fantastic to finally have a game where I can do whatever I want for the most part.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Beyer basically puts his own weird sense of humor into Jace. It's endearing on his Tumble, but rougher in large doses.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Zoness posted:

I really wish they'd redo an Amplify that counted tribal cards instead of just creatures, but Amplify probably isn't an ability they're bringing back anyway :negative:.

I can always hope :sigh:

Amplify does count tribal cards. You can reveal Crib Swap as Aven Warhawk enters the battlefield, and it will get a counter.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Do you guys and gals think the success of mutavault in standard that they might be willing to start making more changeling cards for M15 or Huey set?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Korak posted:

Do you guys and gals think the success of mutavault in standard that they might be willing to start making more changeling cards for M15 or Huey set?

Mutavault's success has nothing to do with it being a changling.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

What a Judas posted:

Mutavault's success has nothing to do with it being a changling.

Well, not nothing. It pumps Pack Rat!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Attorney at Funk posted:

Well, not nothing. It pumps Pack Rat!

It interacts with Master of Waves, as well. It's fringe, but there are a few places where it's beneficial.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'll be happy to see mutavault rotate out, I'm tired of seeing it forced into almost every standard deck. The card is good enough that it requires no thought about whether to include it. Still not as bad as thoughtseize though. Playing black at all? Thoughtseize please!

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
People using Mutavault doesn't bother me I think it's an awesome card. The $35 price tag on it makes me insane.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The card is good enough that it requires no thought about whether to include it.

Not true. It requires 1 thought.

"Can my deck handle it if 4 of my lands became colorless? If yes, MUTAVAULT UP THIS MOTHERFUCKER"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I'll be happy to see mutavault rotate out, I'm tired of seeing it forced into almost every standard deck. The card is good enough that it requires no thought about whether to include it. Still not as bad as thoughtseize though. Playing black at all? Thoughtseize please!

Yeah. That's not really true. Red devotion doesn't run it because everything in the deck is double-R costed and Nykthos is more important. U/W control doesn't run 4 because early game colorless can gently caress it over. The only decks that run the full set really are aggro decks that aren't too color dependent.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Promoted Pawn posted:

Not true. It requires 1 thought.

"Can my deck handle it if 4 of my lands became colorless? If yes, MUTAVAULT UP THIS MOTHERFUCKER"

Well yeah I suppose thats a given. Even then a lot of the time people will still use them, just 2-3 instead of a full set. It not having a color restriction is what makes it cost so much, which also annoys me. I just get a bad taste for cards that are both super powerful and dont have limited use so they end up in tons of decks regardless of color.

^^^ I'll grant you red devo on that point, but I do see a lot of U/W control players using it, even if its not a four-of. I really don't even mind seeing it across the table at FNM because I've been splitting top 2 or 4 the last few weeks running boros burn and its a convenient target for searing blood.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 13, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

But it dies to Eye Gouge! :ohdear:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
A land that dies to extremely situational removal will never not be funny to me.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Veyrall posted:

A land that dies to extremely situational removal will never not be funny to me.

I think the funniest situation is Devour Flesh against an animated Mutavault. Hope you're hungry for dirt.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Bidding on that miscut Lion's Eye Diamond has broken four digits now, for those who are interested in hearing about it.

$1025 was the final number. Jesus.

Pussy Snorkel fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 13, 2014

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Question: Mutavault isn't going to go down in price much once it rotates, right? I need three more for my Fish deck and I'm wondering whether it'll be worth waiting for.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

a dozen swans posted:

Question: Mutavault isn't going to go down in price much once it rotates, right? I need three more for my Fish deck and I'm wondering whether it'll be worth waiting for.

Why wouldn't it? The number of decks that use them in Modern is a much smaller slice of the pie, and my impression is that said decks are tier 2 at best (no offense to your Fish deck).

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Why wouldn't it? The number of decks that use them in Modern is a much smaller slice of the pie, and my impression is that said decks are tier 2 at best (no offense to your Fish deck).

None taken! And yeah, while I'm sure it'll drop some, I was wondering if any of the finance folks here had an idea of how much.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hey En Fuego I'll be at SCG Seattle. At least on Sunday. I'll be part of the crew in retina searing orange shirts and hoodies.

Is anyone else going? I've played all of one legacy event ever. Hopefully I'll get a round one feature match (cuz I ain't gonna be X-0 that's for sure) against bbd or someone and screw up royally.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

a dozen swans posted:

None taken! And yeah, while I'm sure it'll drop some, I was wondering if any of the finance folks here had an idea of how much.

The current price of Mutavault is far more influenced by it's playability in Standard than in Modern/Legacy. If you can wait until October (guessing a low of $15 or so) even better.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Vomax posted:

I think the funniest situation is Devour Flesh against an animated Mutavault. Hope you're hungry for dirt.

Tragic Slip. Watch a land slip on a banana peel and fall into an open grave.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

a dozen swans posted:

It will crash massively. Mutavault is a $6-$10 card tops.

(The rationale is that the demand for it is super high currently, and after rotation, the supply will be insanely higher than the demand.)

Think about Thundermaw Hellkite, this was a card that peaked $35 as well, and sees very little play in other formats. It has since plunged to $11. Mutavault is positioned to do the same, because even if it has slightly higher demand than Thundermaw, there are many more Mutavaults in print, because it has 2 print runs, and is valued at rare, as opposed to mythic. This card is a HUGE loser as far as price over time is concerned.

50 pounds of bread fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 13, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

50 pounds of bread posted:

It will crash massively. Mutavault is a $6-$10 card tops.

Wasn't it more than that before it got reprinted though?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Tardigrade posted:

Tragic Slip. Watch a land slip on a banana peel and fall into an open grave.

Greven il-Vec picking an entire cave up and hurling it off the deck of his ship.

These work for most animated lands, though. The game flavor doesn't really work here (not that it could reasonably be expected to).

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Greven il-Vec picking an entire cave up and hurling it off the deck of his ship.

These work for most animated lands, though. The game flavor doesn't really work here (not that it could reasonably be expected to).

All of this land eating nonsense is just making me think of the a Darksteel Colossus standing up to punch out a Blood Moon to make the tide go out.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Entropic posted:

Wasn't it more than that before it got reprinted though?

Due to scarcity. By being a standard staple in literally every archetype, the supply of this card is going to be HUGE after rotation. It will be difficult to get rid of mutavaults if you wait too long.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Ramos posted:

All of this land eating nonsense is just making me think of the a Darksteel Colossus standing up to punch out a Blood Moon to make the tide go out.
What deck is this now?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Veyrall posted:

What deck is this now?

Yugioh, the Anime.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

There should be a Muscle Wizard card with Vindicate as a tap ability and the flavor is he punches his target the gently caress out, no matter what it is.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

a dozen swans posted:

You'll pick it up at 10-20. Don't be like the guy who traded me a misty for 2 mutavaults. He got a bad deal.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

There will probably be somewhere between 3-5x as many Mutavaults as there were before and about the same demand as before M14. No way is that not going down. If you aren't using them in standard and you have them, you'll want out in the next three months.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
What about Theros Thoughtseizes?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's too good of a card in Modern and Legacy to totally brick. Probably won't dip below 10? Totally pulling that out of my rear end though. Long term they should head back up but not as fast as Lorwyn's will.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

1. Core sets aren't opened nearly as much as fall sets; we've pretty much seen all the M14 we're ever going to see on the market. While they certainly do influence availability, there's a lot more Thoughtseizes entering the market than there are Mutavaults.

2. Modern/Legacy playable cards don't see nearly as much of a post-standard crash that people expect of them. People are going to scoop up the copies that Standard-only players are selling. Fewer players are going to put theirs up for sale during rotation compared to a Standard-only card because they plan on hanging on to them for other formats.

3. Modern is growing by leaps and bounds. Modern after M14 is much bigger than Modern before M14.

While the price will probably come down a bit upon rotation, I don't think it's going to be nearly as much as everyone's expecting. The Morningtide version was a ~$30 card before M14, and I think that's pretty much exactly where it will land. M14 copies will probably be $20-25, and I'm leaning more toward $25.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 13, 2014

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I highly doubt it will hold that kind of value. It is only eternal playable in the loosest term of the word.

There will be a huge crash, and it will take a lot of time, or a huge meta shift for it to climb up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

kizudarake posted:

What about Theros Thoughtseizes?

Thoughtseize doesn't rotate out for another year and a half, and they're what, $15 for a card that was 60-70 at M14?

• Locked thread