Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

NikkolasKing posted:

Isn't SSJ3 Goku stronger than Ultimate Gohan in that one?

Yes and no, Gohan does a decent job holding 1/2 of Hirudegarne at bay, and in all fairness EVERYONE including Goku gets their rear end kicked in the final battle.

Goku just recovers enough to tell Trunks he wants to handle it, because, well, it's the finale to DBZ so of course Goku gets the killing shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

He might have been Super Saiyan 2 against Broly in Movie 10 and Dabura in the Buu Saga. The problem is that SSJ2 is such a lazy loving design that it's impossible to tell on older Gohan. You can tell with his Cell Games self because he has more hair to stick straight up but not so as an adult.

He's almost certainly in SSJ 2 in both of these instances. When he goes Super Saiyan 2 against Broly he proceeds to stomp his face for all of 30 seconds before Broly takes on his full form, which makes sense since the Super Saiyan's from the first movie got stomped but a Super Saiyan 2 should be able to keep up.

The same is true of Dabura. They mention that Dabura is roughly on par with Cell, and Gohan is fighting him more or less to a draw. Vegeta gets annoyed that Gohan has gotten so weak over the years that his Super Saiyan 2 form isn't capable of stomping someone of cell's caliber anymore.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah, I guess I meant teen Gohan specifically, or more precisely Gohan when he was the best fighter. All the other stuff he appears in when he's that age he barely does anything of note.

Caros
May 14, 2008

carry on then posted:

Yeah, I guess I meant teen Gohan specifically, or more precisely Gohan when he was the best fighter. All the other stuff he appears in when he's that age he barely does anything of note.

Yeah, teen Gohan really is the best Gohan. :smith:

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

NikkolasKing posted:

The problem is that SSJ2 is such a lazy loving design that it's impossible to tell on older Gohan. You can tell with his Cell Games self because he has more hair to stick straight up but not so as an adult.

Movie 10 shows the difference, since Gohan starts out in SSJ2 against Broly, then inexplicably switches to SSJ1 for the energy blast battle.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Disharmony posted:

Movie 10 shows the difference, since Gohan starts out in SSJ2 against Broly, then inexplicably switches to SSJ1 for the energy blast battle.

The big issue with this is that a lot of the time the shittier art crews in the anime didn't have the time or the effort to properly animate the more subtle difference between SSJ and SSJ2.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Somewhat related: Goku pants.

from http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615777

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Caros posted:

That doesn't really answer his question, it just refers to the first iteration of the joke. The origin of the joke, as far as I can tell, lies in the Dragonball Z opening song "CHA -LA HEAD CHA-LA".

The song contains the lyrics, 溶けた北極1の中に 恐竜がいたら 玉乗り仕込みたいね, which translates more or less to "Within the melted polar ice, If there’s a dinosaur, I want to train it to balance on a ball!"

To be honest the lyrics of the opening song are straight up ridiculous. One of the defining moments for me as I began to learn Japanese was watching dragonball and realizing just what the gently caress I had been listening to for all those years.

As another fun fact, Head Cha-la is a weird engrish style pun on words. 平ちゃら or Hecchara can be Japanese slang for "Be cool" or "Its all good" which fits with the overall fun loving feel of the song.

Huh, had no idea that was actually the lyrics. Thanks for the tip!

Also, if anything this has made me realize that I need to watch the abridged movies still. Forgot there were some.

Ninja E: Oh and which movie is Battle of the Gods, numerically? I actually really liked that one as well and would recommend it. Even if the fight scene at the end wasn't quite as good as some of the others, it was still a fun movie.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Huh, had no idea that was actually the lyrics. Thanks for the tip!

Also, if anything this has made me realize that I need to watch the abridged movies still. Forgot there were some.

Ninja E: Oh and which movie is Battle of the Gods, numerically? I actually really liked that one as well and would recommend it. Even if the fight scene at the end wasn't quite as good as some of the others, it was still a fun movie.

It didn't really have a number, but it's the 14th after Wrath of the Dragon.

Although some might say it's the 15th if they count the special from 2008 called Yo! Son Goku and his friends return!

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Disharmony posted:

I'm sorry, but the differences are still very very subtle.

Also, don't bother watching Battle of the Gods on Youtube. There are several videos labelled as "Battle of the Gods" and they are either Yo, Son Goku and Friends Return! or the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans or whatever it's called.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

NikkolasKing posted:

So are any of the DBZ movies actually, ya know, good?

The Team Four Star ones, and no others. :colbert:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

SSJ2 is easy. If they have electricity then they are. Like Majin Vegeta is SSJ2. Easier than looking for hair standing straighter than usual.

RBX fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 12, 2014

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I wish Toriyama had come up with something different for the SSJ-SS2 thing beyond just random electricity. Like, I don't know, make the entire aura electrical, or make it a different color than yellow, or make it seep into their eyes or something, just anything other than things that are easily missed in the frenetic animation.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

I drew this :)

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Anyone here good at translating Japanese manga? I've got something to share with the community here but I need to get it translated first. I guarantee people will like it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mister Roboto posted:

I wish Toriyama had come up with something different for the SSJ-SS2 thing beyond just random electricity. Like, I don't know, make the entire aura electrical, or make it a different color than yellow, or make it seep into their eyes or something, just anything other than things that are easily missed in the frenetic animation.

Yeah, the difference is minor. I'm not sure if that's because it was originally intended to be an endgame or what, but it's pretty nondescript. Even in the Cell Games, Gohan will go entire shots without actually arcing. Although I guess if I was commanding so much energy it was randomly shooting arcs of electricity around me I wouldn't complain :v:.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Disharmony posted:

Vegeta is totally the best in there, no need to be super serious just go all out :getin:.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Disharmony posted:

I think it would have been better design wise if teen Gohan's hair mirrored Future Gohan. Or hell, just have Gohan retain his hair style from the Cell saga. Then all the questions about SSJ1 or 2 would have been clear cut.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Well with goku and gohan there's that one bit of hair over the forehead that's a p.obvious visual cue, but there's nothing for Vegeta at all.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Namtab posted:

Well with goku and gohan there's that one bit of hair over the forehead that's a p.obvious visual cue, but there's nothing for Vegeta at all.

Nah, Vegeta's way easier. He gets more and more smug.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Nah, Vegeta's way easier. He gets more and more smug.

You'd be smug too if you were prince of all saiyans

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Namtab posted:

Pfft, that's just like, eight people. Some prince. :smug:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Namtab posted:

All five of them, over half not pure Saiyans. :v:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Counting Tullece and Broly and Tarble, are we?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Team Four Star ones, and no others. :colbert:

Si very true.
http://youtu.be/vZI7LISLBa0?t=13m41s

The fact that Santa was Kyle Hebert (narrator, Buu Saga Gohan) is amazing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mister Roboto posted:

Counting Tullece and Broly and Tarble, are we?

Just Tarble, then Gohan, Goku, Pan, Bra, Trunks, and Goten, and then I realized I counted Trunks twice.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Just Tarble, then Gohan, Goku, Pan, Bra, Trunks, and Goten, and then I realized I counted Trunks twice.

Yea you should have counted him 3 times.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Seeing as cell has saiyan DNA does that make vegeta his prince?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Don't forget about :

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Ok I'll bite. What is that supposed to be?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

crankdatbatman posted:

Ok I'll bite. What is that supposed to be?

http://mangafox.me/manga/neko_majin/

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Learned a couple of days ago that all of the DBZ movies are on YouTube, except for Battle of the Gods apparently. Watching Wrath of the Dragon, it's striking just how quickly everyone other than Goku gives up. It's a pretty consistent theme throughout the series, really: Bad guy shows up, Goku's not there, everyone else tries to fight, get hit like twice, groan to themselves "we tried our best!" and then collapse. Gohan's especially terrible about this. At least Vegeta, Goten and Trunks usually have the dignity to get knocked out instead of just admitting defeat.

Edit: Unrelated, but I don't think I've heard one suggestion so far in this movie that they get the giant monster out of the densely-populated city.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

Learned a couple of days ago that all of the DBZ movies are on YouTube, except for Battle of the Gods apparently. Watching Wrath of the Dragon, it's striking just how quickly everyone other than Goku gives up. It's a pretty consistent theme throughout the series, really: Bad guy shows up, Goku's not there, everyone else tries to fight, get hit like twice, groan to themselves "we tried our best!" and then collapse. Gohan's especially terrible about this. At least Vegeta, Goten and Trunks usually have the dignity to get knocked out instead of just admitting defeat.

Edit: Unrelated, but I don't think I've heard one suggestion so far in this movie that they get the giant monster out of the densely-populated city.

I don't remember but did Piccolo even bother to show up?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Squallege posted:

I don't remember but did Piccolo even bother to show up?

Piccolo died of uselessness after movie 9.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've just read the first 10 volumes of the original Dragon Ball, having previously read the Saiyan Saga and nothing else. My thoughts:

• Goku being an alien gets a surprising amount of foreshadowing; I think one of the other characters mentions the possibility explicitly. Also, while it's the American editor rather than Toriyama, the bit about Kami-sama's "obscure origin" comes across as a hint about his being an alien too. I wonder what planet Ten and Chaozu are from...
  • Despite this, it's clear that, as Toriyama explicitly admits, he's making it all up as he goes along. I don't think Goku's were-ape transformation got any foreshadowing the first time.
  • It's funny how central the Hoipoi capsules are to the setting; I don't think they came up once in the entire Saiyan Saga. Likewise the anthropomorphic animals.
  • The gender politics get pretty cringeworthy even for a shonen manga (for example, how many times has Bulma been implicitly threatened with sexual assault just to give Goku a reason to beat up some random people?). I'll cut Toriyama a bit of slack here because he was writing in the 80s.
  • Despite this, Bulma is pretty cool; she's arguably the least stupid major character so far. It's funny how she was arguably the main character at first.
  • On a related note, remember when Chi-Chi managed to injure Roshi? Also, Arale owns. Looking her up on the Dragon Ball wiki, it seems Goku still hasn't surpassed her at this point in the story.
  • The same wiki assures me that Boss Rabbit survived when Roshi blew up the moon.
  • The villain motivations are pretty thin, though this is partly :thejoke:, as Pilaf can't think of what he's going to do with the world after he takes over. In a modern shonen series, Commander Red would be trying to resurrect his dead wife or unite all human consciousness or something.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Silver2195 posted:

[*]The same wiki assures me that Boss Rabbit survived when Roshi blew up the moon.

This was asked by :ohdear: worried fans to Toriyama who were concerned that the evil Boss Rabbit, despite being evil, was killed. He, of course, had to say the rabbit survived.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

RBX posted:

SSJ2 is easy. If they have electricity then they are. Like Majin Vegeta is SSJ2. Easier than looking for hair standing straighter than usual.

Nobody made SSJ2 look better than Teen Gohan

Fucker rocked that hair

Adult Gohan always seemed like a major downgrade, I wish they had spent more time on TG

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Parrotine posted:

Nobody made SSJ2 look better than Teen Gohan

Fucker rocked that hair

Adult Gohan always seemed like a major downgrade, I wish they had spent more time on TG

Adult gohan is the strongest in the universe but still doesnt do crap.

He had a lot more balls as a kid.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Also, Arale owns. Looking her up on the Dragon Ball wiki, it seems Goku still hasn't surpassed her at this point in the story.

Arale remains unparalleled throughout all stories she's a part of and would've rocked Bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
It's interesting how people call kid Gohan "Teen Gohan."

When Gohan kills Cell he's 9/11.

When Buu saga starts, he's 16/18.

The age discrepancy is because the manga says he's 9 while the anime says 11.

• Locked thread